Originally Posted by stirredo
I know there are some tutorials for this already but I felt like they missed out a few steps that might not be obvious to some who are new to this.
This tutorial applies to all of Android One Device (Micromax Canvas A1, Karbonn Sparkle V Blue, Spice Mi-498 Dream Uno).
Unlocking bootloader will lead to formating of your phone. The stuff inside your sd card is safe but all your apps and their data will be deleted.
1. Download Universal ADB Driver installer from here.
2. Connect your phone and run the Universal ADB Driver installer. Click 'Install' button and a warning should pop up. Just click "Install anyway" and it should look like this:
3. Download ADT Bundle from here for Win-32 Bit
and from here for 64-Bit
. If you are unsure which version of windows you have just download the 32-Bit one.
4. Extract the zip file in your C:\ drive like this (You can install it wherever you like but this tutorials assumes this location for simplicity). Add adb and fastboot to system path by following this tutorial
. This will allow you to run adb and fastboot commands from any location on cmdline.
3. Switch off your phone. Now, Press POWER BUTTON + VOLUME UP
button for about 5 seconds. A menu should appear. Note: VOLUME UP
allows to navigate the menu (move down the menu). Press VOLUME DOWN button for selecting/choosing fastboot. On your phone, it should say something like
=> FASTBOOT MODE...
Connect your phone to the computer if it wasn't already.
4. (Assuming Win 7) Click on start menu > Search for 'Command Prompt' and right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
5. On command prompt, Type:
If it shows something, that means we can proceed to unlocking bootloader. Otherwise, it means that the driver was not installed correctly.
6. Now, Type the following commands:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot format userdata
Now, your bootloader is unlocked.
Install a custom recovery.
1. Download custom recovery from this thread
2. Place the download file, 'recovery.img' file in C:\ drive. (Again, you can place it anywhere but this tutorial assumes this path).
3. Run the following command (Assuming already in fastboot mode again. If not, follow the above steps to go to fastboot mode). :
fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img
After doing so, it should look like this:
4. Reboot your phone and you are done by typing:
Now, you have installed CWM custom recovery. On to installing root.
Rooting your phone:
1. After installing custom recovery, download Super-Su .zip file
2. Place the .zip file on your sd-card. If your computer doesn't show your phone as MTP device, download the drivers from here
3. Boot into recovery, by pressing POWER OFF + Volume UP button for 5 secs and choosing Recovery by pressing Volume Down (NOTE: Use Volume UP for menu navigation)
4. After booting into recovery, Choose 'Install Zip'. You can use Volume UP and Volume Down for navigating here and Power Off button for selecting a menu item.
5. Now, select 'choose zip from /external_sd'
6. Select the Super-Su zip file you placed on your sd card and install it.
Now, Reboot your phone. It might say something like 'su may have been removed' but ignore and press 'No'.
Let me know if there are any errors in this Tutorial.