FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APK] Xperia Chinese Keyboard modified to work on any device (version 25.1.A.0.10)

149 posts
Thanks Meter: 204

By Aqq123, Senior Member on 23rd September 2019, 03:21 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
While there's the excellent mod of the general Xperia keyboard for all devices (linked at the bottom of this post), I could only find an ancient version of the Xperia Chinese keyboard modified the same way. So, here is a more up to date version:

Xperia Chinese Keyboard modified to work on any device
Supports pinyin, zhuyin, stroke order, handwriting and Cangjie, as well as English input
Version: 25.1.A.0.10

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xperia Chinese Keyboard 1 Overview.png
Views:	340
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	4825075 Click image for larger version

Name:	Xperia Chinese Keyboard 2 Keypad.png
Views:	316
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	4825077 Click image for larger version

Name:	Xperia Chinese Keyboard 3 Handwriting Panel.png
Views:	330
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4825105 Click image for larger version

Name:	Xperia Chinese Keyboard 4 Emoji.png
Views:	322
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	4825107
Download
Attached to the bottom this post. See below for link.

Download both parts, rename .part01.zip to .zip and .part02.zip to .z01, unzip, un-RAR, and there you go. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to workaround attachment restrictions so that the file can be uploaded here, which I believe is better than any external hosting where links expire.

Details

Source Image: G8141_47.1.A.16.20_1308-5321_R5B_CE1 (Sony Xperia XZ Premium / Maple)
Package Name: com.sonyericsson.textinput.chinese
Original Filename: textinput-chn-xxhdpi.apk

How to use
  • Install the APK as you normally would
  • Manually grant the permission: Settings → Apps & notifications → See all apps → Xperia Chinese keyboard → Advanced → Display over other apps: Allowed
  • Enable keyboard in Settings → Languages & input
Note
If you do not grant the above permission, the keyboard will crash when trying to display pop-up dialogs (tap and hold the language switch button to test).

Modification scope

1. Integrated external libraries into the package:
(a) From the original image:
Code:
libbacktrace.so
libbase.so
libc.so
libc++.so
libcutils.so
libdl.so
libicui18n.so
libicuuc.so
liblog.so
liblzma.so
libm.so
libnativehelper.so
libunwind.so
libutils.so
libvndksupport.so
(b) From LineageOS 16.0:
Code:
libsqlite.so
2. Changed values loaded into $LayoutParams;->type:I in:
Code:
smali/com/sonyericsson/textinput/chinese/uxp/view/InputMethodDialog.smali
smali/com/sonyericsson/textinput/chinese/uxp/view/keyboard/CloudAccessTipsDialog.smali
smali/com/sonyericsson/textinput/chinese/uxp/view/settings/ChineseHardKeyboardInputMethodChoice.smali
smali/com/sonyericsson/textinput/chinese/uxp/view/settings/ChineseInputMethodChoice.smali
smali/com/sonyericsson/textinput/chinese/uxp/view/settings/FirstUsageTipsDialogVisualisation.smali
(5 occurences total)
0x000007dc = 0x000007d9 (TYPE_KEYGUARD_DIALOG) | 0x00000002 (TYPE_APPLICATION) | 0x00000001 (TYPE_BASE_APPLICATION)

To:
0x000007f6 (TYPE_APPLICATION_OVERLAY)

Background / Why
Also note: cannot use 0x000003e8 (TYPE_APPLICATION_PANEL) as there is no activity.
3. Changed manifest to add SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW permission (needs to be granted manually, application will not prompt for it):
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW"/>
Remarks
  • This fully works for me on LineageOS 16.0. If it doesn't work for you, most likely you'll need a different version of libsqlite.
  • Should be safe to use in general but use it at your own risk
Improvement ideas
  • Modify the application further to request permission instead of crashing
Related threads
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aqq123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aqq123 Ad-Free
24th September 2019, 12:26 PM |#2  
Flag Sümeg/Csepel
Thanks Meter: 253

Donate to Me
More
That's some amazing work there. I wish there was a more up to date version for general languages not just the good ol 8.0.A.110 version that I've been using for 3 years or more across my devices. Thanks a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenys' For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenys' Ad-Free
3rd December 2019, 03:34 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for your work! However, the link is down, it is giving 410 error from XDA. Can you reupload it? Thanks again.
3rd December 2019, 01:10 PM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdhmtthm

Thank you for your work! However, the link is down, it is giving 410 error from XDA. Can you reupload it? Thanks again.

Hi, the files are attached to the post, so they are hosted here on XDA. I checked the links and they seemed to start downloading correctly for me but now I edited the post and removed the inline links, so the files should show up as an attachment below the post instead.

Can you successfully download any other attachments at all (from other posts)? Maybe there are some restrictions in place for newly-created XDA accounts. Anyway, if they still don't download for you, let me know and I'll upload them elsewhere as well. (The advantage of having the files hosted here is that the links never expire.)
3rd December 2019, 02:27 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqq123

Hi, the files are attached to the post, so they are hosted here on XDA. I checked the links and they seemed to start downloading correctly for me but now I edited the post and removed the inline links, so the files should show up as an attachment below the post instead.

Can you successfully download any other attachments at all (from other posts)? Maybe there are some restrictions in place for newly-created XDA accounts. Anyway, if they still don't download for you, let me know and I'll upload them elsewhere as well. (The advantage of having the files hosted here is that the links never expire.)

It works now, must be having some errors just now. Thanks again.

Edit: Part 2 seems to not be able to download and corrupted, second try gives me the same error again.
I asked my friend who is not logged in to download and he experienced the same error.
It would be great if you can upload it elsewhere, the two tries I where I successfully downloaded part 2 returns corrupted. Thank you.

Edit 2: Changing browsers on mobile worked. Surprised that both Firefox on mobile and desktop returned an error for me. Thank you, problem is solved.
3rd December 2019, 08:12 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Is this keyboard for chinese only or can I use english as well? its been a while and long since we get an updated Xperia Keyboard version, still using the 2/3 years old v8.1.A.0.12 dated November 12, 2017.
3rd December 2019, 09:57 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM-03

Is this keyboard for chinese only or can I use english as well?

It can be used for English input too. If you take a look at the first 3 screenshots, there is a button (labelled "CN") that toggles between English and Chinese in the bottom right corner of the keyboard.

It supports word completion in English too but there's no way to type accented characters (for other languages written in the Latin script).
4th December 2019, 07:16 AM |#8  

More
how to dl and extract this? I downloaded two p[arts but still getting error while extracting, any other parts there or missing?
11th December 2019, 05:29 PM |#9  

More
is there any update for android10?
after update to 55.1.A.0.748
chinese keyboard keep crashed
12th December 2019, 02:18 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM-03

any other parts there or missing?

Just checked again, it unpacks fine. Nothing is missing. The complete instructions are already in the first post. Not sure what else would need explaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3302

is there any update for android10?

I don't use Android 10. Feel free to contribute an update, and I will link to it in the first post.
12th December 2019, 06:53 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqq123

Just checked again, it unpacks fine. Nothing is missing. The complete instructions are already in the first post. Not sure what else would need explaining.

Yes, it's working (extracted) as per the instructions written into the OP, but the font size is too small that I didn't see /notice that instruction earlier, you should've mentioned that in bold & highlighted for better & clear visibility.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chinese, keyboard, pinyin, textinput-chn, xperia

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)