✭[Updated : 17/2/17][GUIDE][Discussion] Hacks And Tweaks For Battery Life✭

Did you Battery Life improved After following the tips from this thread?

• No

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 84 76.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

panzerox123

Sep 17, 2015
Bangalore
@Dr Death the settings on L speed are for balance perfomance and battery?or for more battery with a little decrease on perfomance? I did ur settings and thx for the guide!

Στάλθηκε από το D6503 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
L speed is myself for performance. But I don't think it's needed as the persormace difference after the other fixed is hardly visible;)

Bewildered Wolf

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 25, 2012
NEW DELHI
www.youtube.com
@Dr Death the settings on L speed are for balance perfomance and battery?or for more battery with a little decrease on perfomance? I did ur settings and thx for the guide!

Στάλθηκε από το D6503 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
The settings in the OP, are for more battery with a slight decrease in performance. Try that you will see effect in battery life.

Though one Paget96 shares his recommended Lspeed settings. I can share that if you want.

Reactions: dieccast39

bozy09

Nov 26, 2015
london
SOoooo... is there a rom that you would consider to give the most SOT? if so can you let me know? What roms are you guys using anyway? I would appreciate any input thanks :D

mrsatan

Jul 12, 2009
SLC
Custom Kernel

Don't forget that if you have a custom kernel you can underclock it and get much more battery life.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Don't forget that if you have a custom kernel you can underclock it and get much more battery life.
Sometimes. On many devices under clocking is counter productive either due to poor efficiency at lower frequencies or increases run times if govonor does not ramp effectively with lighter loads.

Reactions: iXaidyiu

mrsatan

Jul 12, 2009
SLC
Yep - varies by device and (to a lesser degree) tuning. That's why blanket statements like 'under clock and profit' don't work without further qualification.

I believe if you tweak other settings in the kernel as well as the underclock you can get really good performance. I've been able to underclock all of my devices with custom kernels.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I believe if you tweak other settings in the kernel as well as the underclock you can get really good performance. I've been able to underclock all of my devices with custom kernels.
Agreed. Tuning and measurement are key. That said, some devices do not idle/perform well at low frequencies. A Moto G4 Play (Snapdragon 410/MSM8916) serves as an example. While the stock kernel allows 200Mhz bottoming out at 400Mhz imposes no penality while delivering a better overall experience. Clearly this weakling does not reflect state of the art cpu/chipsets; nor is it an outlier.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of underclocking/volting when it can be done easily and yields measurable benefits with no undesirable side effects. Usually other tunings are required to achieve that.

Also recognize there's a cost (albeit minor) associated with regular frequency hopping. Holding the idle frequency steady in the absence of a significant load yields the best results IME.

Reactions: Bewildered Wolf

Bewildered Wolf

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 25, 2012
NEW DELHI
www.youtube.com
Agreed. Tuning and measurement are key. That said, some devices do not idle/perform well at low frequencies. A Moto G4 Play (Snapdragon 410/MSM8916) serves as an example. While the stock kernel allows 200Mhz bottoming out at 400Mhz imposes no penality while delivering a better overall experience. Clearly this weakling does not reflect state of the art cpu/chipsets; nor is it an outlier.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of underclocking/volting when it can be done easily and yields measurable benefits with no undesirable side effects. Usually other tunings are required to achieve that.

Also recognize there's a cost (albeit minor) associated with regular frequency hopping. Holding the idle frequency steady in the absence of a significant load yields the best results IME.
@iXaidyiu this goes to the OP2.
@Davey126 thanks for your detailed information brother. :)

Reactions: iXaidyiu and DB126

yakupTR

Jun 28, 2013
My Phone My kernel pls your share settings. I want to more screen time., pls settings kernel??? Screenshot_20170205-231900.png

D6503 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Folks.
    So, everyone is facing battery life problems in our Xperia Devices. And many of you are getting 3-4 hours of SOT. Here are Some of my hacks and tweaks to have a prolonged battery life and approximately 6+ hours of SOT.

- The device used for these tweaks is Xperia Z2 with eXisteZ Rom. These tweaks may differ on different Rom. It can be better it can be worse.
    - FAQ's in the #OP2

Let me first show you some results.

1. 100-6% 9hrs and 15 mins of SOT (by me :p)
    9amUGTV.jpg

2. Here is @cristixperia's 7+ hours SOT after following this thread :)
    2lRbXDa.jpg

Important:
    Battery life majorly depends on the battery condition or how old is the battery. So, If your battery is like 1 year old then it will have a less SOT than a new battery with same hacks. So, please see the condition of your battery , which probably gets worsened with time.
    Battery life also depends on the thermal conditions of battery. If the battery temperature is hot the drain will be more. The temperature should be around 30-35 or less for good battery life and charging rate. So, make sure you battery is not extremely heated or extremely cold.

I'm adding Priority Levels of each step out of 5. So, it will be easy for you to understand the importance of a step in saving you battery life.

So, Here it Goes. Enjoy

1. Greenify (Priority:5)
    Credits for this app to @oasisfeng

Greenify is the one of the best battery saving apps. It can be used to hibernate the background apps or the apps you use less often. Plus when it is used with Xposed and Donation Package features is saves some real juice.

Download Links:
    Greenify
    Greenify Donation Package

I'm using version 3.1 build 1 with Donation Package. Here are my settings.

yt31cFt.jpg

M9BKNzK.jpg

xYRnEbX.jpg

E8SSndj.jpg

BSnqb7L.jpg

Here is the List of apps to be Greenified :
    List 1
    List 2

P.S.: GREENIFYING SYSTEM APPS CAN CAUSE SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS. PLEASE ASK BEFORE HIBERNATING SYSTEM APPS.

2. Fixing the Google Play Services Drain (Priority:5)
    Google play services have been draining the juice from our battery from a very long time. >_> with no fix. And they have always benn the top battery drainers. So, apparantly @iXaidyiu and I have found a fix for this drain.

METHOD 1 : Using AppopsXposed
    1. Install AppopsXposed from Xposed Installer.
    2. Open AppOpsXposed and select Google Play Services and disable the following (see the screenshot).
    ZaePupN.jpg

3. Open AppOpsXposed and select Google Play Store and disable the following (see the screenshot).
    Qrul7Gj.jpg

4. Open AppOpsXposed and select Google Play Framework and disable the following (see the screenshot).
    9qFxUha.jpg

5. Open AppOpsXposed and select Google App and disable the following (see the screenshot).
    sBbdieU.jpg

xQNS6SW.jpg

After these steps reboot you device and see the google play services drain gone. But that will be gone from the battey(settings) after a full charge or it will show the previos drains.
    Thanks to @iXaidyiu for playing with AppOpsXposed and finding this.

METHOD 2 : Using HEBF Optimizer
    Credits for this app to @IvsomEmidio
    Download Links:
    HEBF Optimizer

Follow these steps to get rid of Google Play Services Drain
    1. Open HEBF
    2. Select Chuck-Norris Type of User(if it is the first time you are opening the app)
    3. Select BATTERY from sidebar.
    4. Enable GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES DRAIN FIX(Master)
    5. Enable all 4 options i.e. Locations Services, Check-IN Services, System Update Services, Usage Report.
    6. Reboot and Enjoy.

photo6138507743984723881.jpg

3. AMPLIFY (Priority:5)
    Amplify is a serious battery saver. Amplify can help you to limit some wakelocks, services and alarms for saving battery life. A great tool if used in the right way. It is the best battery saver I've come across and is a must have app if you are running Xposed.
    P.S. : How to Set Up Amplify
    Or you can use this guide how to use AMPLIFY+ GREENIFY + POWERNAP as combination by @v7 to have the best battery life of your device.

4. Force Doze (Priority:5)
    credits for this great app goes to @ssrij
    Download Links:
    Force Doze

ForceDoze is an app that forces Doze mode right after you turn off your screen. Instead of waiting for the default time period (30 mins), Doze kicks in immediately. ForceDoze also disables motion sensing, so Doze doesn't activate while in your pocket or while the device is moving with screen off, giving far more battery savings than standard Doze functionality.

Here are my Force Doze's Settings.

MZZ7OuX.jpg

lKRwHcs.jpg

Apps to be Whitelisted:
    wfKhRVC.jpg

ForceDoze doesn't increases your sot but it makes sure your battery remains at the same level you left it. So, technically it increasesyou Screen ON Time. Seriously a great app. But whitelist your instant messengers and the apps you want to get notification from. because force doze can delay notification and can have some serious issues with your phone. use wisely.
    For Queries and problems go to the main thread --> here

5. L Speed (Priority:5)
    by @Paget96 Thank you brother for this amazing app.

Lspeed is a powerful app with the simplest interface. And can make a serious difference in your screen on time if applied with appropriate settings.
    SETTINGS by @iXaidyiu
    SETTINGS by @Paget96

Important:
    1. Do not use Lspeed And HEBF simultaneously. If you want to use them both at the same time, Make sure you dont enable anything from HEBF except Google Play Services Drain FIX. And change the Lspeed's Apply on Boot time to 20 secs, from settings. JUST TO BE SAFE.
    2. If you are using Force Doze then disable Lspeed's Agressive Doze and vice versa. OR Else there will be some conflicts.

6. Disabling Fast Dormancy (Priority:5)
    What is Fast Dormancy? In simple terms its a device feature that enables mobile devices to notify the cellular base stations when the radio resource allocated to the device is no longer in use, so that the radio resource could be immediately released other than waiting for a timeout event. For instance lets say you are browsing a webpage using your cellular data plan. You stop at a certain webpage (for example to read this article) the connection is maintained and the device will be registered on the network even if data isn’t received or transmitted (always on) and will remain like that until a timeout event is invoked (as per the network rules as to how much time to wait before connection is terminated due to idle timeout). During this time the device’s battery will be drained needlessly in addition to increased congestion on the cellular network due to numerous idle connections. From a device perspective radio power consumes battery so employing fast dormancy should save battery power and increase its life. This also has an advantage to networks as it reduces congestion. But This doesn’t come without a major disadvantage to the very same cellular networks and operators. The making and breaking of the connections increases the signaling traffic and wastes network resources. The workaround to this was done by Nokia Siemens in collaboration with Qualcomm to employ NCFD or Network Control Fast Dormancy in which the device is put on a battery saving idle state while maintaining its network identity without the need to establish a new connection and request a new identity for the device on the network.
    Can Increase your battery life by 30%.

How to Disable Fast Dormancy?
    Check out this thread by @mirhl. All credits goes to him. The thread is pretty old but it still works.
    But if you have problem in understanding here is a simple guide:-
    1. Get you carrier MCC and MNC from Wikipedia.
    2. Open youe file manager and go to root/etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt
    3. There you will see two lines ending with MCC and MNC with two zeroes.
    4. Change those zeroes to the MCC and MNC code you got from Wikipedia
    5. Save it. Reboot And Enjoy.

7. KCAL FLASHABLE MODULE FOR MINIMUM BRIGHTNESS (Priority:4)
    The credits for this awesome module goes to sir @venkat kamesh.

Brightness has always been the biggest battery drainer of all time excluding the google play services. This module will help you to achieve lower brightness than the minimum threshhold. There are many other options also grayscale display is my personal favoutite. I was testing this module for like 1 week and the results are great. This can significantly increase your battery life.

After flashing this module, you'll see a COLOR CONTROL app in your app drawer.
    1. Go to the app.
    2. Enable Set on Boot.
    3. Change minimun value from 35 to around 100. And then change the value of red blue green to the minimum value.
    4. Now change your minimum value to what suits your eyes. and save. I've personally set it to 140. Set according to what suits your eyes.
    5. Also the grayscale display is awesome for the users that like black and white display.
    Dont set MINIMUM to 0 or else your screen will go black and you wont be able to see a thing unless you've a Sharingan :p

P.S. : Battery on point. [emoji14]
    K6LLwIs.jpg

8. Stamina Mode (Priority:4)
    Okay. So, Most of us use stamina mode after 15-20% only. But i've been using it from 100% for past one week ans the results are amazing. I've set to Device Performance Preferred and still it is working better than no stamina mode.I can assure you it can increase your SOT by almost 1+ hr if you keep it on Always On.

1. Go to Settings < Battery < Stamina Mode.
    2. Select Always On.
    3. Select Power Saving Level
    4. Select Device Performance Preferred.
    h4UAD0L.jpg

9. Removing Xposed Modules (the battery drainers) (Priority:4)
    So, i've noticied that some of the xposed modules drains battery when activated. so' ll be listing them below. You can also contribute by telling me some of those xposed modules.
    -> Flat Style Coloured Bars
    -> Flat Style Bar Indicator
    -> Google Assistant Enabler

You can also share your experiences with different xposed modules. if you think that a specific xposed module drains battery please post below and it will be added to the OP after some testing.

The Next 3 steps are regarding turning the screen to black for saving battery. These methods work best on Amoled Displays. As our Xperia Devices have LCD displays so these might be not as effective on our Devices. But I've got the 9+ Screen On time using these. And when I swithed back to white the SOT got to almost around 6-7 hrs with the exact same usage. So i'm sharing these methods. (This was for all those people who were saying dont post fake methods or these methos don't work.)

10. Monochrome App (Priority:4)
    Download Link:
    Monochrome

Monochrome automatically turns on monochrome (or black & white) mode when your battery is low, to further reduce display power consumption when your battery level is low. This means your device will eat less battery. Simple but effective app. With stamina mode combined, after 15% it can give around 1-1.5 hr + SOT.

A9BzUSJ.jpg

4BdHrx7.jpg

11. Black Notification Panel And Notification (Priority:3)
    (works great with n-ify xposed modules)
    Credits to @iXaidyiu for telling this.
    Okay. So we all know white color drains more battery than black. This method will turn your notification panel black. Saving some battery and also looking aesthetically good. So my friend or i should say brother, @iXaidyiu found a way to turn the notification panel and the notification black. Saving almost 10-15% battery.
    T6MRuI4.jpg

WyQeWzO.jpg

Follow the steps for this type of notifications.
    1. Go to settings > eXistenZ >Notification Panel > Notification Settings
    2. Enable Custom Notification Color
    3. Select the Notification Background Color to #000000 or to black.

if you are using Android N.ify Xposed Module then :-
    4.If you are on n-ify, go to N-ify > Notifications
    5. Enabe custom actions background color.
    6. Select the Actions Background Color To #FF141313 or to Black.
    zVccDlb.jpg

giQhUo3.jpg

P.S.: THERE IS A BUG WITH THIS METHOD. THAT IF THE MESSAGES ARE MORE THAN 1. YOU'LL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THEM. BUT IT WORKS FINE.

4. Black Keyboard and Apps (Priority:3)
    As i've told earlier black saves a lot of battery and is also good for your eyes. And we people use keyboard for all the purposes. So, having a black keyboard instead of a white one saves some battery.
    Use google keyboard and choose a pitch black theme.

trqdGvx.jpg

The more you use the black color, the more the battery. So, its on You how much battery you want.
    use black themes in your apps. DARK WALLPAPERS. and using black color at most of the places will save some serious juice.

12. Miscellaneous Tweaks (Priority:4)
    -> Disable wifi and bluetooth scanning from Settings > location > menu > scanning to save some more battery.
    -> Facebook and Facebook Messenger are big time battery drainers. So, try switching to another light apps for some battery saving. I use Folio for Facebook. Its night mode is awesome and it has options to refresh notification in a specific interval of time. You can also use some other apps like SlimSocial for Fb or MaterialFB. You'll also see increase in performance of your device after removing Fb and fb messenger.
    -> Even if your Wifi is off,your phone searches for Wifi Signals.To switch off this feature,Go to Settings > Wifi > Options(Top right corner) > Advanced >Scanning always available(Off).
    -> Do not use Adaptive Brightness. Also try to keep your Brightness to Minimum.
    -> Removing unnecessary apps. They keep draining Battery in the background. For this, you can use my DEBLOATER SCRIPT. You'll also see an increase in performance of your Device.

So, this is all. With these methods you can also get 6-7 hrs of SOT. And i'll be posting more methods if I get to know some.

P.S. : I'm not responsible if something happens to your device. Proceed with precaution. Stay Safe.

SPECIAL THANKS TO THESE PEOPLE FOR HELPING THIS THREAD:
    1. @iXaidyiu
    2. @panzerox123
    3. @Davey126
    4. @Paget96
    This FAQ comes in various sections:
    • General FAQ over eXistenZ MM ROM (Z2/Z3):
    • Declaration on the compativitiness of the battery savers and tweaks:
    • ReadMe over Amplify tweaks:
    • L Speed
    • Core Strategies on Achieving Ideal Battery Life
    • "Mobile Radio Active"!?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. General FAQ over eXistenZ MM ROM (Z2/Z3):

1.1 This ROM is DISCONTINUED due to @niaboc79 swapped phone.

1.2 Installation
    1.2.1 Install ONLY v5.01 and v5.6.5 in a row will be enough.
    1.2.2 If you come from AOSP-M/AOSP-L/AOSPA-M/PACMAN-L/etc..., please perform a clean install by first wiping /system, /data, /cache and /ART in TWRP and then kick start the ROM installation process.
    1.2.3 If you are rolling back from AOSP-N/etc... that is based on android N, please first restore stock .FTF via flashtool by androxyde, then wiping /system, /data, /cache and /ART in TWRP and after that kick start the ROM installation process.
    1.2.4 If you are switching from other stock based roms, eg Kypotian-M/PureX-M/Mr SL-M/etc..., please first wipe /system, /cache and /ART and then kick start the ROM installation process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Declaration on the compativitiness of the battery savers and tweaks:
    -Greenify's Aggressive doze kicks in 7 minutes after screen off, I don't know why 7 minutes but I'm guessing there's a reason behind it. Well, roughly 5-7 minutes. Since they work together, I guess it's not so bad to have both of them make sure that your phone is on doze.
    -It stays in memory, yes but it's inactive. If the app is completely stopped/closed, writing the app to memory again would use more battery. Think of the regular hibernation similar to force closing an app.
    -Indeed you are right, it's hard to play with settings like that. :D May I suggest adding init.d scripts? Or use HEBF/Lspeed? I tried this interactive governor profile tweak on the Z2 months ago and it brought me to at least 5 hours SoT, with 30% brightness (auto) and mobile data on most of the time.

3. ReadMe over Amplify tweaks:

The suggested elements to be limited and look after in v7's thread is not Sony specific. So we have to EXPLORE ON OUR OWN to find the best ways to conserve energy using the daemon tool. So what I am suggesting on behalf @Dr. Death is that besides adopting most of the rules listed on v7's thread concerning using Amplify to conserve energy, we should also explore and test setting rules for other wakelockes too. Last but not least, so what I am implying about is that we all have an unique list of installed apps on our phone from each other, therefore there isnt really a must do list for apps' wakelocks and alarms, after all it is up to you to choose from performance and battery. Considering that, me and @Dr, Death WILL NOT provide any further lists for recommendation so as to let you guys explore on your own.
    Happy tweaking!

4. L Speed
    1. Lspeed's Performance Governor increases performance but there was a large drain in battery compared to battery governor. And with brightness increased to >30% , the drain increased exponentially. The performance of the phone was increased though (acc. to benchmark scores).

2. Lspeed's Battery Governor makes a big difference in saving your battery. Though, I've also noticed that it also decreases some amount of performance. But I've been using the battery governor and I've not seen a lag or freezing down of any app. You cant even tell there is a decrease in performance without benchmark scores. And the difference in SOT the battery governor can make is almost 30 minutes to 1 hour. So, I'm using it and you people can also use it, if you want more battery :) :p

5. Core Strategies on Achieving Ideal Battery Life
    - stop apps from launching at startup/wake and on network events
    - reliance on native doze (w/Doze on the Go enabled on Android 6)
    - proactively hibernate misbehaving apps - especially on Android 4/5
    - sensible app selection and configuration (avoid the pigs)
    - common sense settings for screen brightness, radios and sensors
    - minor govonor tunings if needed (eg: delaying jump to max freq)
    - primary tools: Greenify, BBS/GSam, AppOpsXposed, SD Maid, MAT

Best guidance: find excellent resources like this thread, read, observe, read some more, react only to items that warrent attention and yield meaningful results with minimal side edfects. Ignore everything else.

Those who love to tinker with their devices should avoid all the above. It's boring, effective and leaves ample time for other activities.

6. "Mobile Radio Active"!?
    Radios can be significant drainers in low signal strength conditions as power is ramped to maintain a stable connection. On the mobile front I often find 3G (when available) yields an acceptable compromise, although LTE will typically come out ahead on overall power consumption when signal strengths are moderate/strong provided modem quickly drops into idle mode when not in use. The latter is largely outside user control although custom kernels can sometimes help.

Credits to the followings:

Anything I found useful and important in the comments will be pushed up here;):D
    Okay. So here are my Amplify shared prefernces. I'm attaching them below for those people who are felling lazy setting up amplify.

P.S.: There are my settings i.e. I've set them up according to my needs. Don't tell me later that we are not getting notifications from this app or something wrong is happening. I'm having these settings from almost 2 months and no false results.

- I don't use facebook or messenger. So. You might get delayed notifications of you use my settings.
    - I don't use NFC. So, I've set my Amplify like that NFC doesn't wakes up.
    - I'm using inbox for mail. And i just want to look AK my mails once in a day. So, you'll get notified only once in a day.

For copying these settings.

1. Turn off Amplify from Xposed and reboot.

2. Go to root/data/data/com.ryansteckler.nlpunbounce/shared_prefs

3. Put my settings there.

4. Turn amplify on and reboot.

Here is the link to the settings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDWTvRiGcXBZ0ViZUJ5b25fQTg/view?usp=drivesdk

Enjoy.

So, @iXaidyiu said, instead of just copying these settings go and explore yourself. Leave more and even tell me about those things.
    Don't be so lazy. Find some new methods. Learn on your own. And it will be beneficial to you people also. Search the forums. Theres plenty to learn about amplify. There are many things even I or @iXaidyiu don't know.
    Be productive. And try to learn on your own.

Don't forget to hit thanks for the settings :')
    Be cautious whuie limiting something that is not mentioned in the list. It can result to delayes notifications, late message arrivals and much more.

P.S.: You need a donation package version of Amplify for this

For Setting Up Amplify follow these steps :-

1. Open Amplify.

2. Tap on the top left corner and select wakelocks.

3. So, there will be a list of wakelocks like this

0343c57d6b7a6973bba01705e66d0cee.jpg

4. Now select the wakelock you want to limit.

P.S. : You should not limit anything random. I'll add below the list of which wakelock and alarms should be limited.

76abcfe2bca67ee8f7db5a37bd00c5c2.jpg

5. Now tap on the icon next to settings and turn it on. And now write the time for which you want to wakelock or alarm. (The time will be mentioned in the list according to wakelocks and alarms )

87070af0f5f9dc6a74a8b086f05eb4f9.jpg

That's pretty enough.
    You'll to do the same for alarms and services also.

Sorry guys, my internet is barely working today. So I can't type the whole list on my phone. Till then here are the list of those wakelocks and alarms.
    Post-1
    Post-2

In case it is difficult for you people to set them up. I'll upload my Amplify settings by tomorrow.
    So, you can have my settings here.
    Settings

Have a nice day. ;)
    CHANGELOG
    12/18/16
    Added Kcal Module for Minimum Brightness.
    Added Additional Methods.
    12/23/16
    FAQ's added by @iXaidyiu.
    12/28/16
    Updated the list of apps to be greenified.
    17/2/17
    1. Updated the whole thread.
    2. Added Fast Dormancy.
    3. Added HEBF.
    4. Added Priority Levels.
    5. Added @Paget96's Settings to the thread.