FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Knowledge Base] Introduction to the Sony (-Ericsson) Xperia Galaxy

5,379 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,419

Post Reply Email Thread
25th September 2015, 11:32 AM |#11  
Please people, if you have anything to add to the OP, let me know!

As I said, I know a lot, but I can't know everything there is to know about Sony devices...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free

4th November 2015, 10:51 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 1,075

More
Good work (...as usual from your side)
Very useful tutorial.
No need to write long explanations to Sony beginners anymore - just add a link from here.
The Following User Says Thank You to akkufix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akkufix Ad-Free
5th November 2015, 05:27 AM |#13  
Flag JAJPUR,ODISHA,INDIA
Thanks Meter: 339

Donate to Me
More
Really Helpful
Brilliant.....Really it deserves place at (Sticky Threads).I think if you add minimum One Custom Kernel(for stock firmware)
of every devices..That would b very helpful to recover from Soft bricks.Then this thread will be an "ALL IN 1" thread.Its my Opinion after all...Brilliant work.
The Following User Says Thank You to nageswarswain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nageswarswain Ad-Free
10th November 2015, 03:48 PM |#14  
Flag huddersfield
Thanks Meter: 2,058

More
Need a little advice.
Hi,
I have a ZL with Locked bootloader and your ZL-lockeddualrecovery2.8.22 installed
I am on stock 5.0.2 now Rooted thanks to your awesome recovery.
Question is now I have your dual recovery would I be able to simply flash crDroid CM zip Thread Here and others like it or would I still need to unlock the bootloader Edit OP of ROM says it is required
So if I flashed the above would it replace your recovery with the boot.img in the zip
Sorry for the noob questions but I am new to Sony devices and still taking baby steps with this phone
I can unlock the bootloader no problem but I am more concerned about your recovery been replaced.
Thanks in advance
10th November 2015, 07:48 PM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrammy

Hi,
I have a ZL with Locked bootloader and your ZL-lockeddualrecovery2.8.22 installed
I am on stock 5.0.2 now Rooted thanks to your awesome recovery.
Question is now I have your dual recovery would I be able to simply flash crDroid CM zip Thread Here and others like it or would I still need to unlock the bootloader Edit OP of ROM says it is required
So if I flashed the above would it replace your recovery with the boot.img in the zip
Sorry for the noob questions but I am new to Sony devices and still taking baby steps with this phone
I can unlock the bootloader no problem but I am more concerned about your recovery been replaced.
Thanks in advance

As long as your phone is locked, you only can flash stockroms and stock-kernels.
You also have to use recovery for stockrom, because you kernel is "untouchable" and recovery have to put in /data and /system partition and can't be put in kernel.
All other roms/kernels will end in errors while flashing.

If you have unlocked your BL, you can flash any rom and kernel you want, as long as your phone is supporting it.
Yes, by flashing a zip, your kernel will be replaced and in most cases they have a recovery in it.
By flashing a rom from another version or changing from stock-based roms to i.e. CM-roms or Omni and vice versa, you have to unpack the kernel (boot.img) by hand and flash (fastboot) this first, before you flash (after a reboot in recovery) the whole zip.
Otherwise it could end in bootloop.

Because of (i most cases) wiping /system, /data while installation, your stock-recovery will deleted too. This depends of the work of the installer in the zip file.

Btw... before unlocking your phone, backup your TA ( with FlashTool). This TA is unique and you may use it to lock your phone again later.

And... if your phone is unlocked - no fear of losing recovery. You always can flash another one with fastboot again.

Someone correct me, if i was wrong or forgot something.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akkufix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akkufix Ad-Free
10th November 2015, 10:16 PM |#16  
@bigrammi, you can always try yo repack the CM kernel using my kernel builder, that way you will still have XZDualRecovery but then included in the boot image, so no risk of losing it...
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
10th November 2015, 10:35 PM |#17  
Flag huddersfield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkufix

As long as your phone is locked, you only can flash stockroms and stock-kernels.
You also have to use recovery for stockrom, because you kernel is "untouchable" and recovery have to put in /data and /system partition and can't be put in kernel.
All other roms/kernels will end in errors while flashing.

If you have unlocked your BL, you can flash any rom and kernel you want, as long as your phone is supporting it.
Yes, by flashing a zip, your kernel will be replaced and in most cases they have a recovery in it.
By flashing a rom from another version or changing from stock-based roms to i.e. CM-roms or Omni and vice versa, you have to unpack the kernel (boot.img) by hand and flash (fastboot) this first, before you flash (after a reboot in recovery) the whole zip.
Otherwise it could end in bootloop.

Because of (i most cases) wiping /system, /data while installation, your stock-recovery will deleted too. This depends of the work of the installer in the zip file.

Btw... before unlocking your phone, backup your TA ( with FlashTool). This TA is unique and you may use it to lock your phone again later.

And... if your phone is unlocked - no fear of losing recovery. You always can flash another one with fastboot again.

Someone correct me, if i was wrong or forgot something.

Thanks yet again bro
Wow these Sony Xperia's take some figuring out
I think I have just about got my head around it all now
I have managed to get the TA backed up with TWRP and Flashtool so I should be safe now
I will have to unlock the bootloader just to stop it nagging me to upgrade
@Nut Thanks bro I will take a look at your suggestion it's a little more complicated than what I am used to or should I say different.
11th November 2015, 05:36 PM |#18  

More
Quote:

[...]
@Nut Thanks bro I will take a look at your suggestion it's a little more complicated than what I am used to or should I say different.

Well, i saw HTC M7 in your signature. If you were able to unlocked, s-off-ed, re-flashed firmware and rooted this beast - you don't need to have any fear about a Sony device.
The Following User Says Thank You to akkufix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akkufix Ad-Free
24th November 2015, 07:37 PM |#19  
Flag huddersfield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NUT]

@bigrammymi, you can always try yo repack the CM kernel using my kernel builder, that way you will still have XZDualRecovery but then included in the boot image, so no risk of losing it...

Hi @Nut,
I thought I would take your advice and expected to download a tool to unpack everything and pick through the files and start editing init.rc etc etc
I had no idea this was a fully automated Online tool
I still can't quite believe it you're a genius!!
A BIG THANKS to All the Xperia dev's helpful community members and especially the tool creators XZDualRecovery, Flashtool, XperiFirm and PRFCreator etc you're all Awesome
I fear I will become lazy with such great dev's
25th November 2015, 08:34 AM |#20  
Quote:

Hi @Nut,
I thought I would take your advice and expected to download a tool to unpack everything and pick through the files and start editing init.rc etc etc
I had no idea this was a fully automated Online tool
I still can't quite believe it you're a genius!!
A BIG THANKS to All the Xperia dev's helpful community members and especially the tool creators XZDualRecovery, Flashtool, XperiFirm and PRFCreator etc you're all Awesome
I fear I will become lazy with such great dev's

Thanks, glad to have been of help to you
7th February 2016, 07:52 PM |#21  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 126

Donate to Me
More
Question DM-Verity
As I know, root on Z4-Z5 line is nearly impossible in cause of DM-Verity. But what if we can hack this key? In root directory there is one encrypted key with name verity_key - I hope we can do something with that. My idea is to try to by pass this key somehow, disable it, maybe just personally (need to decrypt this key for each device etc). Right now there are a lots of new exploits to root phone. Also as far as I know Galaxy S6 contains DM-Verity too, but it was rooted. So again - any chances? Maybe some theories? I can be volunteer, I own Xperia Z3+ Single Sim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-07-20-42-23.png
Views:	286
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	3637782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-07-20-43-41.png
Views:	286
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	3637783  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags