Allows you to download the current firmware for all Sony Xperia-line smartphones, tablets and accessories running Android (except really old ones).
INSTRUCTIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Prepare Linux for Mono installation:
Enter the following lines once per computer:
$ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
$ sudo cert-sync /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
$ sudo certmgr -ssl -m https://software.sonymobile.com
(Enter Y when asked, you should be asked to do so twice)
Enter the following line to launch XperiFirm:
$ mono XperiFirm.exe
Install Mono for OS X:
Enter the following in Terminal:
$ mono --arch=32 XperiFirm.exe
- Why can't I see the downloaded firmware when I use "Tools -> Bundles -> FILESET Decrypt" in Flashtool?
"FILESET Decrypt" is obsolete because XperiFirm decrypted the firmware for you already. Use "Tools -> Bundles -> Create" instead.
- How do I add a device to favorites? / How do I remove a device from favorites?
Right-click on the device's model name in the devices tree view.
- Can I download firmware for pre-2013 devices? / Why there are many pre-2013 devices missing?
Sony Mobile deleted older devices when they migrated to their new API. Moreover, they keep deleting old devices from time to time. There's nothing I can do about it.
- Can I download older firmware? / Why there's only one firmware version in the list, while there were multiple before?
I have no control over which firmware show per CDA. Sony Mobile deletes older firmware, and there is no way to download them after that.
Try finding your FTF on http://www.xperiablog.net/forum/resources/ or http://xperiafirmware.com/
- Why is the CDA written on my product's box not included in XperiFirm?
CDA is never written on the box. The number on the box starts with "SI", which stands for "Sales Item" which is the combined identification of the device's model + color + country of origin + stock software customization, while CDA is only the customization ID.
To find out your CDA, open the stock "Phone" app and write *#*#SERVICE#*#* (*#*#7378423#*#*). This will open the Service menu.
Go to "Service info" -> "Software info" -> your CDA is under "Active Customization".
- What is R1A/R3B/R3C/etc? Which one is better?
This is the operator-specific revision (officially "CDF Version") of the stock software (officially "Software Version") provided by Sony to the different regions and operators.
You can't compare revisions, each operator makes its own revisions. They are basically the same, just with different operator-specific apps.
- How do I create an FTF file? / How do I flash a firmware?
This is not Flashtool's thread. There are a whole bunch of tutorials on the internet and on this forum.
v5.4.0 [June 25, 2019]:
- FIX: Fixed unpacking while using Mono for Linux.
v5.3.8 [January 11, 2019]:
- FIX: Fixed "firmware is not available" error for certain firmware that are now hosted on a new Sony server.
v5.3.7 [July 28, 2018]:
- FIX: Workaround for broken version naming for certain Xperia XZ2 firmware.
v5.3.6 [March 2, 2018]:
- FIX: Fixed a reported cosmetic bug.
v5.3.5 [March 1, 2018]:
- FIX: Unpacking is matching that of Flashtool: the "partition.zip" is being extracted and a "partition_delivery.xml" is being properly created.
v5.3.1-v5.3.3 [March 1, 2018]:
- FIX: Bug and regression fixing for 5.3.0.
v5.3.0 [March 1, 2018]:
- NEW: Supports downloading official OTA packages (*.pkg). This can be enabled/disabled through "Settings". Those are single-file packages, thus Resuming is not supported, but you can still download them manually if you have to.
- FIX: A bunch of internal tweaks.
- MINOR: Larger device images.
- MINOR: Instructions for Manual downloading slightly changed: Folders should be named "FILE_<fileid>" instead of just "<fileid>".
- NEW: Manual mode is back, completely reworked for Sony's new API. Just click "Manual" and follow the instructions. No file renaming is required.
v5.1.0 [October 16, 2017]:
- NEW: CDF lists are now loaded directly from Sony servers. Manual updating is no longer needed, except for adding new devices, which is a rare case anyway.
- MINOR: Fixed support for Windows XP, but may be unstable as it uses a normal HTTP connection rather than a secure one.
- MINOR: Settings: "Unpack firmware automatically" checkbox - due to the demand.
v5.0.0 [May 16, 2016]:
- NEW: Download management, including a download queue that's saved on your computer and loaded on launch.
- NEW: Resuming feature, including checksum verification and automatic re-download of incomplete/corrupted chunks. Just click "Start" and the download will attempt to resume (for large firmware, the resuming might take a while).
- MINOR: Better error handling and prevention.
- MINOR: Settings: "Play a sound when a download completes"
- NOTE: "Manual" button and "Unpack automatically" are both obsolete, thus were removed in this version. Firmware will always be unpacked.
v4.9.1 [May 4, 2016]:
- NEW: Added support for Accessories (currently, just SmartWatch 3).
- FIX: Solved the lag cause by the image loading of each device.
- FIX: Some additional internal changes had to be made as part of the incremental transition of Sony's firmware database from the old servers to the new one. Many of the "grayed out" firmware will no longer appear on XperiFirm, as they are no longer available on Sony servers.
- MINOR: Added a "Available Releases" label for those who don't get the hint that they have to select a release version.
v4.9.0 [April 20, 2016]:
- NEW: You can now set a default download folder in XperiFirm's Settings panel.
- FIX: Some internal changes had to be made to support changes made by Sony for old devices: They deleted many of the images, thus I remade all of the device icons manually and stored them on XperiFirm's server. Moreover, resources (icons) are no longer preloaded from Sony servers (nothing left to preload there), thus launching XperiFirm is now faster.
- MINOR: Many old firmware are now being grayed out, which means that they are located on the old (no longer maintained) Sony server. Many of these firmware will warn for missing files as well. There's nothing that can be done about that.
v4.8.2 [January 13, 2016]:
- MINOR: Sony has added Xperia M to the new API. The problem is that Xperia M (C19XX) and Xperia M dual (C20XX) have different IDs, for reasons that aren't relevant to newer devices. However, some minor internal changes had to be made to support that specific case. Same issue applies to Xperia E and Xperia tipo. (Version 4.8.1 will still work normally, except for Xperia M, Xperia E and Xperia tipo which won't get firmware from the new API.)
v4.8.1 [September 29, 2015]:
- FIX: This should solve the occasional "Failed to connect to the server." error appearing randomly when opening XperiFirm.
v4.8.0 [September 26, 2015]:
- ATTENTION: Installation instructions for machines running Linux were updated!
- NEW: Adaptations were made to support another server Sony uses to provide firmware, in order to support new firmware released for several devices (like Xperia Z2, Z3, Z3 Compact, Z3+, Z3v, Z2 Tablet, Z3 Tablet Compact and Z4 Tablet) and support for new devices introduced on this other server exclusively: Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Compact, Xperia C5 Ultra and Xperia M5.
Firmware are loaded from both servers whenever it's possible.
To unpack a firmware that was manually downloaded from the new server, see FAQ section above.
Special Thanks: @OtaruM, @russel5 and @Androxyde who provided information using their devices!
v4.7.4 [August 28, 2015]:
- ATTENTION: XperiFirm now targets .NET Framework 4.0! You MUST delete the "XperiFirm.exe.config" file (or else XperiFirm would crash on launch)!
- NEW: Sony has a few corrupted firmware. Now XperiFirm will prevent you from downloading them.
v4.7.3 [June 22, 2015]:
- FIX: Fixed a minor but highly annoying bug that appeared when selecting a device (it selected another device instead). The device list is now focused on program launch again.
v4.7.2 [June 1, 2015]:
- FIX: Finishing touches: UI on Mono was basically fixed, the text is now presented correctly.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with the new code design related to devices which share the same model (C6916). Note: You might need to set some of your Favorites again.
v4.7.1 [May 31, 2015]:
- MINOR: Annoying visual bug fixed. Re-releasing because couldn't find any other problems.
v4.7.0 [May 31, 2015]:
- NEW: XperiFirm has a new look, made especially to be beautiful on Windows 10.
- NEW: "Favorites" were added! Right-click on a model in the devices tree to add to favorites, and right-click on a model in the favorites tree to remove from favorites! [Requested feature]
- FIX: XperiFirm was internally redesigned to fix some issues and add these features. Please report if anything goes wrong with the new code.
- MINOR: XperiFirm is now more specific if the unpacking fails due to long file paths.
v4.6.0 [May 25, 2015]:
- NEW: An image for every device is now displayed below the release list. [Requested feature]
Disclaimer: These images are retrieved directly from Sony Mobile's server and are not stored by me.
- NEW: The CDA lists are cached when loaded, so if you select another variant or device, you can go back to the previous list without having to reload it, thus the latest release versions are saved until you close XperiFirm. [Requested feature]
v4.5.3 [May 8, 2015]:
- NEW: One more step towards Flashtool integration: When the download/unpacking finishes, XperiFirm will create a file named "fwinfo.xml" inside the firmware's folder which has information about that firmware. In the near future, Flashtool will use this file to create an FTF bundle for you without having to press anything.
v4.5.2 [May 6, 2015]:
- NEW: A requested feature: When the whole CDA list has been checked for Latest Release, clicking "Check All" again will clear all "Latest Release" fields and re-check the list.
- FIX: An unexpected and rather embarrassing bug that caused a crash when selecting a CDA and then deselecting it by clicking an empty area, and then clicking a release version while no CDA is selected. Now the Release list will be cleared to prevent this.
v4.5.1 [April 29, 2015]:
- ATTENTION: This release is a preparation for better integration with Flashtool, done in co-op with Androxyde.
- MINOR: The CDA sorting by Latest Release behavior was changed: Secondary sorting is by Market instead of CDA. Also, the revision version is ignored in the sorting algorithm because they are not comparable to each other (i.e. R11A in firmware X isn't necessarily newer than R2A in firmware Y).
v4.5.0 [April 12, 2015] RE-RELEASE:
- ATTENTION: You must update to this version, else the device list might not load.
- ATTENTION: This update is the re-release of 4.5 with various critical fixes! XperiFirm moves to X.X.X version format ([Generation].[Major Update].[Minor Update].
- FIX: The bug that caused "Invalid resource file received!" on some computers was fixed.
- FIX: Several other bug fixes and code improvements.
v4.5 [April 11, 2015]:
- NEW: Proxy settings added! Click the new gear icon next to the "Check All" button.
- NEW: All country flags in the device list are now being loaded from XperiFirm's server, which means if new flags are needed, you won't need to download another version of XperiFirm, it's all being covered server-side!
- NEW: The panels aren't being locked anymore when using the "Check All" button. You can scroll the lists, click on the CDAs as they are being checked and resort the list. This will not interrupt the checking process.
- FIX: Some visual bugs were fixed for even smoother experience!
v4.4 [April 10, 2015]:
- FIX: Fixed a weird bug that caused a delay when opening XperiFirm and "Checking for updates...".
- MINOR: Added a few icons for devices marked as for Brazil. Some of them are both for Brazil & Argentina or Brazil & Chile.
v4.3 [April 8, 2015]:
- NEW: Added support for CDMA devices with no IMEI (but MEID instead). Specifically, Xperia PLAY (R800x) for Verizon which was missing because of that issue.
v4.2 [April 6, 2015]:
- FIX: On some computers, lists might get cached and unable to refresh. In this version, caching is disabled entirely.
v4.1 [April 3, 2015]:
- ATTENTION: XperiFirm's database now uses compression. Any XperiFirm version prior to 4.1 will not be able to load any of the lists!
v4.0 [April 2, 2015]:
- NEW: Java is no longer needed for XperiFirm; Release list loading is now .NET-native. Which also allowed me to implement these features:
* File size was decreased from almost 300KB to just 267KB.
* You can run XperiFirm from any location, from any OS that has .NET Framework 3.5 or higher (Windows), or Mono (Linux/OS X). No more obscure Java errors that prevent XperiFirm from launching or working properly.
* Since there is no JAR file extraction involved anymore, hopefully anti-viruses stop complaining for a false-positive.
* Release list loading is MUCH faster, almost instant, since no more external Java calls are being made.
* When you select a CDA, the loaded release list is saved in memory until you select another device, which saves time and internet traffic if it's re-selected later.
* When you use "Check All", the "Latest Release" versions are being retrieved by the new method (instead of the Sony PC Companion-ish inaccurate method), which is accurate and is exactly the same as the topmost release you get when you select a CDA normally. (No more release versions mismatches and inaccurate versions)
* When you use "Check All", the operation also saves the release list to memory, which will then be re-used if the CDA is being re-selected, instead of loading the release list again and again.
v3.7 [March 25, 2015]:
- NEW: Firmware are being checked for availability on Sony Mobile's server when XperiFirm Downloader window opens. "Download" option will be disabled automatically for unavailable or incomplete firmware.
v3.6a [March 17, 2015]:
- FIX: Fixed a tiny bug that prevented XperiFirm from finding the Java Runtime bundled with Flashtool.
v3.6 [March 12, 2015]:
- ATTENTION: As of this release, "XperiFirm.jar" is being extracted to "%APPDATA%/XperiFirm/XperiFirm.jar" and will not appear alongside "XperiFirm.exe".
- NEW: Mono support for Linux and OS X: Platform-specific methods were replaced with custom methods to support most platforms that have Mono installed.
- NEW: UI Changes: CDA list panel column headers changed (for Mono support), and a new busy/idle status icon.
- FIX: Under-the-hood bug fixes, code improvements and better error handling.
v3.5 [March 5, 2015]:
- ATTENTION: I've decided to drop the alias "IaguCool" and use my name, Igor Eisberg, as the developer from now on.
- NEW: Manual unpacking for download manager support! Supports unpacking FILE_* or *.bin files manually, as long as the firmware is available for download. Includes file checksum verification. Supported formats for "Manual" unpacking (like any other CPU intensive processes - this one also works much faster on an SSD).
- NEW: Error handling was improved! If you don't have Java or if it's corrupted - XperiFirm won't run and an error will be shown.
- MINOR: Minor UI tweaking to look beautiful on Windows 8+, as a preparation for Windows 10.
- MINOR: A few under-the-hood bug fixes.
v3.1 [November 8, 2014]:
- CRITICAL: Fixed a critical bug that caused high CPU usage. Performance now improved drastically.
v3.0b [November 7, 2014]:
- MINOR: Fixed some annoying visual glitches.
v3.0a [November 7, 2014]:
- FIX: Fixed a crash caused by some missing files on Sony servers that messed up with column ordering by Latest Release. (this happens when Sony just begins to roll an update, it's a big mess of missing files, you'll just need to wait patiently until Sony finishes uploading their updates).
v3.0 [November 7, 2014]:
- ATTENTION: XperiFirm now targets .NET Framework 3.5 or later to enable some of the newer features!
- NEW: Total UI re-make. More information about each device (like project/code name). Easier to navigate than ever before.
- NEW: XperiFirm.jar is being self-extracted when you launch XperiFirm.exe. It is being always validated to be the correct file and recreated if it was modified or damaged.
- NEW: Smart downloading: Dummy files are not downloaded. Each file gets a name by analyzing data received from Sony.
- NEW: Smart auto-decryption ability, that uses online data to correctly unpack the firmware and prepare it for FTF creating in Flashtool.
- NEW: Smart sorting for both "Market" and "Operator", for finding your firmware easily.
- NEW: Smart release version checking: Only empty "Latest Release" fields will be checked when using "Check All".
- NEW: Smarter error handling.
- NEW: Added support for multiple simultaneous downloads.
- NEW: Added the ability to copy the raw download links of a firmware to the clipboard. Use however you want and at your own risk!
- NEW: Each and every device is being recognized exactly as marketed by Sony all around the UI, including devices that are merely variants of the same device.
- NEW: The download folder will always have a unique name (adding "(#)" instead of overwriting).
- NEW: The date of the latest update to the device list or any of the CDF lists will be displayed below the device list.
- NEW: A cool sound will notify you when a firmware finishes downloading and/or unpacking.
- FIX: Fixed a bug that broke the scrollbars of the CDF list when minimizing the window.
- DONATE: A nice looking donation button was added, please use it to support me!
v2.5 [August 16, 2014]:
- FIX: Fixed a critical bug which prevented getting releases of old phone models (caused by inconsistencies of Sony Mobile's data)
- FIX: A fixed "XperiFirm.exe.config" included, thanks to aphanic.
- NEW: A new info was added to XperiFirm Downloader - the "Network" name. Useless for most users, but provides general idea about the intended networks the firmware supports.
v2.4 [August 12, 2014]:
- FIX: Fixed the support for firmware of the same version but different revisions.
v2.3a [August 11, 2014]:
- MINOR: Added the firmware revision to the firmware's folder created by XperiFirm when starting a download.
v2.3 [August 11, 2014]:
- NEW: Automatic check for the latest XperiFirm version. If it finds a new version, it offers you to open this thread.
- NEW: Firmware revision was added to the release version (Screenshots updated)
- MINOR: When you sort the CDAs by "Latest Release", after running "Check All", the CDAs are automatically resorted.
v2.2c [August 10, 2014]:
- FIXED: The transfer speed indicator was fixed.
v2.2b [August 10, 2014]:
- FIXED: The transfer speed indicator update rate was changed from extremely fast to once per second, in order to lighten up on CPU and RAM usage, especially on older computers.
- MINOR: "XperiFirm.exe.config" is now packed with XperiFirm, you can chose not to extract it with the JAR and EXE if you don't use Windows 8.
v2.2a [August 9, 2014]:
- FIXED: A minor bug was fixed, that made XperiFirm crash when Downloader is closed while downloading a firmware.
v2.2 [August 9, 2014]:
- NEW: The XF Downloader's code was rewritten to increase speed + Transfer rate indicator added & estimated remaining time.
- MINOR: XperiFirm window is now resizeable/maximizable, by users' request.
v2.1 [August 5, 2014]:
- MINOR: Just a tiny cosmetic fix of the panels, just because I'm such a perfectionist.
v2.0 [August 3, 2014]:
- FIXED: XperiFirm will now use Java 64-bit in Windows 64-bit.
- NEW: Quickly check the latest firmware versions available for all CDAs of a specific device by pressing "Check All".
- NEW: You can use the Java Runtime Environment bundled with Flashtool, by copying XperiFirm.exe & XperiFirm.jar to Flashtool's folder.
v1.0 [July 31, 2014]:
- Download firmware for all Sony/Sony-Ericsson Android-based devices.