I WILL HAVE ROOT (Howto that worked for me on Dell Venue 8 7840)

Search This thread

johnsag49

Apr 13, 2011
I got the Dell Venue 8 7840 as an early Christmas gift (for myself, at Best Buy) and was saddened to learn getting root was (nearly) impossible. I followed various guides (many written this summer, before the latest batch of updates - as of December 2015) but found myself nowhere. Then, I found my answer.

Well, fellow root-wanter, I'm here to tell you it is possible, but it won't be easy.

How I Got Here
Right out of the box, I hastily updated to all the latest firmware updates from Dell. That was my biggest hurdle. So if you plan to do this and you haven't updated the device yet, DON'T UPDATE! Follow the several guides here to get root.

Too late? Already screwed the pooch? Read on.

Generally speaking, you need to do a few steps to get where you want to be. They are (roughly) as follows:

1. Unlock the Bootloader (developer settings change, adb commands)
  2. Use the Intel Flash Tool to flash an earlier firmware, thus making your device able to boot a temporary ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM)
  3. Use clockwork to wipe the system and cache, then reinstall the OS and SuperUser
  4. Reboot and Enjoy!

Here's the long version of steps I took to make this possible:

Getting Started

• As a prerequisite, please install at least the minimum adb/fastboot tools. For first timers, ADB is the Android Debug Bridge, which allows command-line access to system level tools when working with an Android device. It's the backbone of this entire process. Fastboot is a debug mode wherein you can run certain commands on the system, without the presence of an OS. As an Android user, and certainly as somebody who's found themselves on XDA, you should become familiar with fastboot and its abilities. You also can (and should) download the entire set of platform tools (part of the Software Development Kit) as a matter of course.
  • There are several other tools, firmware files, images, etc. that you will need. I've put all the files I used together in a single zip file, which you can download here:
    Dell Venue 8 7840 Tools and Files (zip)
    * (Thanks to the many contributors on this forum, like toxic_garden, enzymeyllw, mrgardiner and of course xBIGREDDx. Also Chainfire for SuperSU!)
  • Once you have all your files downloaded, you need to grab the Intel flash tool. My god is that tool a pain in the ballsack. It's also a necessary evil. Give Dell your firstborn, install the damn tool, and let's move on.
  • Seperately, you will need an SD card with the following files on it: update.zip and UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

Ready to Go? Good.

1. First, enable Developer Options in Android. To do that, go into Settings >> About Tablet >> and tap the Build Number a bunch of times. After some vigorous tapping, a toast message (The little gray-oblong, semitransparent box near the bottom) will pop up and tell you "You're now a developer!". Congrats.
  2. Go into Developer Options, look a few items down the list for "OEM Unlocking" and enable that sucker. If you were successful, it was the first step toward greatness.
  3. If you have to back anything up, now's the time to do it. Because these next steps will wipe your device clean.
  4. Install the Intel Drivers if you haven't already, and in Developer Options enable USB Debugging (it's not too far down below OEM Unlocking)
  5. Some more drivers will install on your PC, and switch it over to Camera (PTP) mode when you see the selection option in the Notification tray. Eventually, if you played your cards right, you'll see an RSA Security request on your device, asking if you want to trust your PC and displaying a hex address. Click OK.
  6. On your PC, find your platform-tools folder (in the Android SDK folder) or wherever you installed the minimal adb/fastboot tools.
  7. In this folder, hold down Shift and right-click, then choose "Open Command Window Here" (alternately, go to the Start menu, type cmd and right-click "Run as Administrator" then navigate to your folder with adb.exe and fastboot.exe in it.)
  8. Cool, take a breather. How are you feeling? Good? Good.
  9. In the black window, type adb devices. You should see a string of numbers or numbers/letters and something like 'unauthorized' in the list. If it's blank, the ADB drivers are not installed properly. Go to your device manager, find anything with a question mark/yellow icon that looks like intel or android or moorefield, and install the drivers manually. You can search XDA if you get stuck on this step.
  10. Back in the black window, type: adb reboot bootloader
  11. Your device should immediately black out and, after a short while, go to the bootloader menu.
  12. From here, go back to the black window and type: fastboot devices
  13. You should see another set of numbers/letters and a word after. As long as you see something, you're golden. If it doesn't show up, you may need to double check those drivers. Another set of drivers will need to install for your device to be seen in this state. Just stick with it, you'll get there.
  14. All good? Then type fastboot oem unlock
  15. You'll get a warning, but just continue on.
  16. Once unlocked, it's time to flash new firmware. Note: For me, this was absolutely the biggest PITA step. The tool was written with virtually no instructions. What follows is how I got it to work.
  17. While you're still in the bootloader menu, you should see confirmation that your device is unlocked. YAY!
  18. Use the menu to boot the device normally. Note: All your user data is gone, so your tablet will act like it's brand new again. Skip through as much BS as you can and get back to the home screen of your tab. Go to settings, and re-enable USB Debugging like last time.
  19. While that's happening, go to your PC and fire up the Intel Phone Flash Tool. (Nice name, Intel.)
  20. Load up the firmware folder "Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397", and specifically choose from the dropdown to flash the file: flash-DDO_BB.xml
  21. If the tool thinks your device is not connected, that's okay. If the tool thinks your device is connected, that's OK too. Don't sweat it.
  22. With the tool still running, as soon as its connected (allow Android Debugging, change to PTP or what have you) hit the Start to Flash button.
  23. It will try about 100 times to find your device (you can see a little console log at the bottom of the tool) ... while it's searching, hold the power button on your device and POWER IT OFF. (Yes, off. Counter-intuitive, I know.)
  24. As it powers off, it will enter some quasi-dream state that Intel dreamed up that will allow it to flash the firmware. Give it a bit of time, and eventually the firmware will flash successfully. HOORAY! You just paved the way for CWM.
  25. Now go back to the folder of files and tools I told you to download, and find the folder "IntelAndroid-FBRL-05-16-2015-PTR" (alternately, search on XDA and find that tool yourself)
  26. Load up the tool, hit accept, then choose option T4 (not T1-3, T4)
  27. If you were successful, it will slowly begin copying over files and having its way with your tablet, and eventually some little white text will appear on your Tablet screen. Soon, ClockwordMod Recovery will start up.
  28. From here, go to Mounts and Storage. Make sure /system is not mounted, and External SD is mounted. Wipe the /system partition, just to be sure. And again, make sure it's not mounted.
  29. Go back to the main CWM screen, and choose "install zip from sd card", and then the option for the external sd.
  30. Find and flash the update.zip file (this will give your cleared out tablet Android 5.1)
  31. Now find and flash UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
  32. Go back to the main menu, and Wipe Cache Partition.
  33. Back at the main menu, Reboot System Now.

If all went well and I didn't totally screw up this guide, your newly rooted tablet should boot up. It may appear to be stuck on the Dell loading screen a while, but it's not. Give it time, and Lollipop will come right up.

From here, download SuperUser and BusyBox from Google Play, if either of those things aren't present on your tablet. Now take advantage of Titanium Backup to remove all that unwanted crapware, and Greenify (at least) to keep those pesky apps at bay.

Enjoy! If this worked, please let me know. As I said, this is what worked for me - but everybody's situation is different, and I'm sorry if this did not work for you. Obligatory I am not responsible if your device bricks, dies or otherwise craps the bed. Use this guide at your own risk.

Some threads that helped me through, increased my sanity, and eased my upset stomach:
Toxic_Garden's Guide: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64391058&postcount=16
Mr Gardiner's Guides: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62833258&postcount=4, http://xdaforums.com/dell-venue/general/7840-stuck-bootloop-bricked-t3178937
Enzymeyllw's Guide: http://xdaforums.com/dell-venue/general/7840-succeed-to-unbrick-t3205024
Insight from xBIGREDDx: http://xdaforums.com/dell-venue/general/venue-8-7840-developer-files-posted-t3144232/page4

A side note: a few of those unbricking guides tried to have me use the adb shell to send the system image to the device, but I didn't find that necessary. Just flashing update.zip with CWM got me far enough along to get the tablet running. I'm not sure if that will come back to bite me in the ass, but hopefully not.

jumpup

I got the Dell Venue 8 7840 as an early Christmas gift (for myself, at Best Buy) and was saddened to learn getting root was (nearly) impossible. I followed various guides (many written this summer, before the latest batch of updates - as of December 2015) but found myself nowhere. Then, I found my answer.

Well, fellow root-wanter, I'm here to tell you it is possible, but it won't be easy.

How I Got Here
Right out of the box, I hastily updated to all the latest firmware updates from Dell. That was my biggest hurdle. So if you plan to do this and you haven't updated the device yet, DON'T UPDATE! Follow the several guides here to get root.

Generally speaking, you need to do a few steps to get where you want to be. They are (roughly) as follows:

2. Use the Intel Flash Tool to flash an earlier firmware, thus making your device able to boot a temporary ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM)
  3. Use clockwork to wipe the system and cache, then reinstall the OS and SuperUser
  4. Reboot and Enjoy!

Getting Started

• As a prerequisite, please install at least the minimum adb/fastboot tools. For first timers, ADB is the Android Debug Bridge, which allows command-line access to system level tools when working with an Android device. It's the backbone of this entire process. Fastboot is a debug mode wherein you can run certain commands on the system, without the presence of an OS. As an Android user, and certainly as somebody who's found themselves on XDA, you should become familiar with fastboot and its abilities. You also can (and should) download the entire set of platform tools (part of the Software Development Kit) as a matter of course.
  • There are several other tools, firmware files, images, etc. that you will need. I've put all the files I used together in a single zip file, which you can download here:
    * (Thanks to the many contributors on this forum, like toxic_garden, enzymeyllw, mrgardiner and of course xBIGREDDx. Also Chainfire for SuperSU!)
  • Once you have all your files downloaded, you need to grab the Intel flash tool. My god is that tool a pain in the ballsack. It's also a necessary evil. Give Dell your firstborn, install the damn tool, and let's move on.
  • Seperately, you will need an SD card with the following files on it: update.zip and UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

Ready to Go? Good.

1. First, enable Developer Options in Android. To do that, go into Settings >> About Tablet >> and tap the Build Number a bunch of times. After some vigorous tapping, a toast message (The little gray-oblong, semitransparent box near the bottom) will pop up and tell you "You're now a developer!". Congrats.
  2. Go into Developer Options, look a few items down the list for "OEM Unlocking" and enable that sucker. If you were successful, it was the first step toward greatness.
  3. If you have to back anything up, now's the time to do it. Because these next steps will wipe your device clean.
  4. Install the Intel Drivers if you haven't already, and in Developer Options enable USB Debugging (it's not too far down below OEM Unlocking)
  5. Some more drivers will install on your PC, and switch it over to Camera (PTP) mode when you see the selection option in the Notification tray. Eventually, if you played your cards right, you'll see an RSA Security request on your device, asking if you want to trust your PC and displaying a hex address. Click OK.
  6. On your PC, find your platform-tools folder (in the Android SDK folder) or wherever you installed the minimal adb/fastboot tools.
  7. In this folder, hold down Shift and right-click, then choose "Open Command Window Here" (alternately, go to the Start menu, type cmd and right-click "Run as Administrator" then navigate to your folder with adb.exe and fastboot.exe in it.)
  9. In the black window, type adb devices. You should see a string of numbers or numbers/letters and something like 'unauthorized' in the list. If it's blank, the ADB drivers are not installed properly. Go to your device manager, find anything with a question mark/yellow icon that looks like intel or android or moorefield, and install the drivers manually. You can search XDA if you get stuck on this step.
  11. Your device should immediately black out and, after a short while, go to the bootloader menu.
  13. You should see another set of numbers/letters and a word after. As long as you see something, you're golden. If it doesn't show up, you may need to double check those drivers. Another set of drivers will need to install for your device to be seen in this state. Just stick with it, you'll get there.
  16. Once unlocked, it's time to flash new firmware. Note: For me, this was absolutely the biggest PITA step. The tool was written with virtually no instructions. What follows is how I got it to work.
  17. While you're still in the bootloader menu, you should see confirmation that your device is unlocked. YAY!
  18. Use the menu to boot the device normally. Note: All your user data is gone, so your tablet will act like it's brand new again. Skip through as much BS as you can and get back to the home screen of your tab. Go to settings, and re-enable USB Debugging like last time.
  19. While that's happening, go to your PC and fire up the Intel Phone Flash Tool. (Nice name, Intel.)
  20. Load up the firmware folder "Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397", and specifically choose from the dropdown to flash the file: flash-DDO_BB.xml
  21. If the tool thinks your device is not connected, that's okay. If the tool thinks your device is connected, that's OK too. Don't sweat it.
  22. With the tool still running, as soon as its connected (allow Android Debugging, change to PTP or what have you) hit the Start to Flash button.
  23. It will try about 100 times to find your device (you can see a little console log at the bottom of the tool) ... while it's searching, hold the power button on your device and POWER IT OFF. (Yes, off. Counter-intuitive, I know.)
  24. As it powers off, it will enter some quasi-dream state that Intel dreamed up that will allow it to flash the firmware. Give it a bit of time, and eventually the firmware will flash successfully. HOORAY! You just paved the way for CWM.
  25. Now go back to the folder of files and tools I told you to download, and find the folder "IntelAndroid-FBRL-05-16-2015-PTR" (alternately, search on XDA and find that tool yourself)
  27. If you were successful, it will slowly begin copying over files and having its way with your tablet, and eventually some little white text will appear on your Tablet screen. Soon, ClockwordMod Recovery will start up.
  28. From here, go to Mounts and Storage. Make sure /system is not mounted, and External SD is mounted. Wipe the /system partition, just to be sure. And again, make sure it's not mounted.
  29. Go back to the main CWM screen, and choose "install zip from sd card", and then the option for the external sd.
  30. Find and flash the update.zip file (this will give your cleared out tablet Android 5.1)

If all went well and I didn't totally screw up this guide, your newly rooted tablet should boot up. It may appear to be stuck on the Dell loading screen a while, but it's not. Give it time, and Lollipop will come right up.

From here, download SuperUser and BusyBox from Google Play, if either of those things aren't present on your tablet. Now take advantage of Titanium Backup to remove all that unwanted crapware, and Greenify (at least) to keep those pesky apps at bay.

Enjoy! If this worked, please let me know. As I said, this is what worked for me - but everybody's situation is different, and I'm sorry if this did not work for you. Obligatory I am not responsible if your device bricks, dies or otherwise craps the bed. Use this guide at your own risk.

Some threads that helped me through, increased my sanity, and eased my upset stomach:
Mr Gardiner's Guides: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62833258&postcount=4, http://xdaforums.com/dell-venue/general/7840-stuck-bootloop-bricked-t3178937
Enzymeyllw's Guide: http://xdaforums.com/dell-venue/general/7840-succeed-to-unbrick-t3205024
Insight from xBIGREDDx: http://xdaforums.com/dell-venue/general/venue-8-7840-developer-files-posted-t3144232/page4

A side note: a few of those unbricking guides tried to have me use the adb shell to send the system image to the device, but I didn't find that necessary. Just flashing update.zip with CWM got me far enough along to get the tablet running. I'm not sure if that will come back to bite me in the ass, but hopefully not.

This is fantastic. Can you verify build and firmware versions?

johnsag49

Apr 13, 2011
I haven't tried to go back to Stagefright yet. Right now:
Software version: Venue 8 7840-user 5.1 LMY47I
Build: BBP803A171200DEL

jumpup

@jumpup Why do you quote the first post ?

Force of habit with the XDA premium mobile app.

There is a specific version number for firmware that will indicate if the post-Stagefright firmware is installed. Go in to the My Dell app, and from the top right-hand corner, select Device Info from the list of options.

See the attached screenshot for reference.

Attachments

• 1451574167411.jpg
    1451574167411.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 565

Tourist06

Feb 5, 2011
Hi John,

thank you for your work. I unlocked my device, but it won't let me get past step 23. What do you mean by turning off? Holding the off button for ten seconds? Holding it shortly, then select shut down? One more thing: It asks me whether I like to proceed with the image on my 7840.

This is my log for the 10sec version:
01/02/16 01:07:37.800 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Detecting Intel Device - Attempt #40
01/02/16 01:07:37.800 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Detecting Intel Device - Timeout
01/02/16 01:07:38.466 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Detecting Intel Device - Attempt #41
01/02/16 01:07:38.466 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Aborting download process.
01/02/16 01:07:38.466 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] xfstkFlashTool exited with error code 13 Unknown error!
01/02/16 01:07:38.468 ERROR : [Port 1/1/4] Command `"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\xfstkFlashTool.exe" "-1" "D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\dnx_fwr_blackburn_qs_rd_opensource.bin" "D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\ifwi_blackburn_qs_rd_opensource.bin" "" "D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\droidboot_dnx.img" "0x80000c27" "none" "none" "0"` failed
01/02/16 01:07:38.469 ERROR : [Port 1/1/4] Flash failed (Command type: Ifwi)
01/02/16 01:07:38.747 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] Device lost on 1/1/4

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------
Restarted laptop. It also says this before starting to flash:

01/02/16 01:37:29.545 INFO : OS version detected: Windows 8.1 (x64)
01/02/16 01:37:29.546 INFO : SSL supported: No
01/02/16 01:37:29.587 INFO : Disk space available on drive C:/ : 4.06 GB
01/02/16 01:37:29.642 INFO : Adb and fastboot binaries OK
01/02/16 01:37:29.912 INFO : Phone Flash Tool Lite initialized successfully
01/02/16 01:37:29.919 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] New device detected on 1/1/4 (id=0100030000000002)
01/02/16 01:38:08.931 WARNING: Bootloader DnX file not specified in flash file ("os_dnx" key)
01/02/16 01:38:09.115 INFO : Ready to flash!
01/02/16 01:38:09.125 INFO : Flash file D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\flash-DDO_BB.xml [Default] loaded

Last edited:

jumpup

Hi John,

thank you for your work. I unlocked my device, but it won't let me get past step 23. What do you mean by turning off? Holding the off button for ten seconds? Holding it shortly, then select shut down? One more thing: It asks me whether I like to proceed with the image on my 7840.

This is my log for the 10sec version:
01/02/16 01:07:37.800 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Detecting Intel Device - Attempt #40
01/02/16 01:07:37.800 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Detecting Intel Device - Timeout
01/02/16 01:07:38.466 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Detecting Intel Device - Attempt #41
01/02/16 01:07:38.466 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] XFSTK-STATUS--Aborting download process.
01/02/16 01:07:38.466 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] xfstkFlashTool exited with error code 13 Unknown error!
01/02/16 01:07:38.468 ERROR : [Port 1/1/4] Command `"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Phone Flash Tool Lite\xfstkFlashTool.exe" "-1" "D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\dnx_fwr_blackburn_qs_rd_opensource.bin" "D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\ifwi_blackburn_qs_rd_opensource.bin" "" "D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\droidboot_dnx.img" "0x80000c27" "none" "none" "0"` failed
01/02/16 01:07:38.469 ERROR : [Port 1/1/4] Flash failed (Command type: Ifwi)
01/02/16 01:07:38.747 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] Device lost on 1/1/4

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------
Restarted laptop. It also says this before starting to flash:

01/02/16 01:37:29.545 INFO : OS version detected: Windows 8.1 (x64)
01/02/16 01:37:29.546 INFO : SSL supported: No
01/02/16 01:37:29.587 INFO : Disk space available on drive C:/ : 4.06 GB
01/02/16 01:37:29.642 INFO : Adb and fastboot binaries OK
01/02/16 01:37:29.912 INFO : Phone Flash Tool Lite initialized successfully
01/02/16 01:37:29.919 INFO : [Port 1/1/4] New device detected on 1/1/4 (id=0100030000000002)
01/02/16 01:38:08.931 WARNING: Bootloader DnX file not specified in flash file ("os_dnx" key)
01/02/16 01:38:09.115 INFO : Ready to flash!
01/02/16 01:38:09.125 INFO : Flash file D:\dell-venue-8-7840-dec-2015\Dell_Venue_8_7840_Lollipop_5.0.2_qs_rd_opensource-blankphone-userdebug-1397\flash-DDO_BB.xml [Default] loaded

The boot state he's talking about usually has your device appearing in Device Manager as "Intel Mooresfield Device". It's a maintenance mode for firmware flashing, etc.

A little trivia: the Dell Venue 8 7840 was Intel's initial foray into Android-on-Intel with its newer x86 boards. The Venue (along with the Lenovo Yoga 2 series) are fortunate enough to have this mode. That's why they're "unbrickable" to a large extent. The Venue was a joint venture with Intel's teams and is still their promoted flagship device for devs hopping on to the platform.

Tourist06

Feb 5, 2011
So how do I make it work? I didn't find a "Intel Mooresfield Device" in the device manager, but other entries for the tablet.

Settings: Tablet: OEM Unlocking on, USB debugging on
Computer: running Phone Flash Tool Lite. NOT running any other phone related stuff (e.g. ADB) after 2nd try.

A little more trivia: I actually won my tablet at an Intel fair stand, it had a developer sticker on it's back :D

Last edited:

jumpup

So how do I make it work? I didn't find a "Intel Mooresfield Device" in the device manager, but other entries for the tablet.

Settings: Tablet: OEM Unlocking on, USB debugging on
Computer: running Phone Flash Tool Lite. NOT running any other phone related stuff (e.g. ADB) after 2nd try.

A little more trivia: I actually won my tablet at an Intel fair stand, it had a developer sticker on it's back :D

CONGRATS ON THAT WIN! Which OS are you using do this?

Tourist06

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks! Best win since winning a sleigh as a child!

I'm using Windows 10 64, all updates installed .

johnsag49

Apr 13, 2011
Is there any other way to get that info? I went a little nuts when I got root and wiped out a lot of the dell software including my dell.

dpicts

Dec 7, 2006
I'm stuck at 23/24 as well... my device goes black and the flash tool starts trying to do something then starts erroring out with connection failed messages before it finally gives up. Does this tool not work with Windows 10 64bit?

Log Attached

Attachments

• RootFail.log
    45.4 KB · Views: 51

triakis03

Feb 7, 2016
I'm stuck at 23/24 as well... my device goes black and the flash tool starts trying to do something then starts erroring out with connection failed messages before it finally gives up. Does this tool not work with Windows 10 64bit?

Log Attached

Win10 64bit

Flash tool Writing process reach #40
flash failed

Shut down 7840 In writing process #1-30
success

dancrosoft

May 19, 2008
I am getting:
(bootloader) Checking unlock authorization.
FAILED (remote: couldn't change state)
finished. total time: 0.271s

I have switched OEM Unlock on in the Dev Options...... I have another Venue 8 that it worked fine on. I have no idea what the issue is..

dancrosoft

May 19, 2008
I found my issue. I was on the old firmware which did not support the unlock.

On that note why can we not just perm flash a recovery now that we have an unlocked bootloader?

joeminati

Dec 23, 2009
Works great. I was able to follow directions as noted. Worked on Windows 10 X64, and turned off the power button by menu after 2 seconds running the Intel update, and when tablet was fully updated with latest Dell Firmware.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

I got an update for the Dell firmware. Is it something to install or avoid due to bootlooping and stuffs?

Last edited:

johnsag49

Apr 13, 2011
Works great. I was able to follow directions as noted. Worked on Windows 10 X64, and turned off the power button by menu after 2 seconds running the Intel update, and when tablet was fully updated with latest Dell Firmware.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

I got an update for the Dell firmware. Is it something to install or avoid due to bootlooping and stuffs?
I'd avoid updating for now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How I Got Here

4. Reboot and Enjoy!

Getting Started

Ready to Go? Good.