FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SIM/Carrier unlock help needed!

3,887 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,866

Post Reply Email Thread
Ok so I'm trying to setup the HTC Desire 601 (Alltel) for my mother on Straight Talk. I was told that in order to get it on ST, I need to SIM unlock the phone. I tried inserting a T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, AND even a Sprint SIM card and I can never get the SIM unlock menu to come up. I already have the code, the phone is S-OFF thanks to Sunshine. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I've already spent money on the unlock code, Sunshine, and the Straight Talk kit so if there is a free way to do this, that would be awesome! Thanks everyone for your help!

24th November 2015, 04:30 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,393

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc_hicks09

Ok so I'm trying to setup the HTC Desire 601 (Alltel) for my mother on Straight Talk. I was told that in order to get it on ST, I need to SIM unlock the phone. I tried inserting a T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, AND even a Sprint SIM card and I can never get the SIM unlock menu to come up. I already have the code, the phone is S-OFF thanks to Sunshine. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I've already spent money on the unlock code, Sunshine, and the Straight Talk kit so if there is a free way to do this, that would be awesome! Thanks everyone for your help!

Is the phone running the stock rom or a custom one? The unlock screen will normally not show on a custom rom.
Otherwise with s-off you can probably sim-unlock using the SIEEMPI method:
https://www.sieempi.ro/blog/2011/09/...tc-devices-536

Btw rumrunner s-off works fine on the desire 601 and cost nothing (I know its to late)
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alray Ad-Free
24th November 2015, 05:31 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Marion, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

Is the phone running the stock rom or a custom one? The unlock screen will normally not show on a custom rom.
Otherwise with s-off you can probably sim-unlock using the SIEEMPI method:
https://www.sieempi.ro/blog/2011/09/...tc-devices-536

Btw rumrunner s-off works fine on the desire 601 and cost nothing (I know its to late)

It is running stock unrooted. Thank you so much for the SIEEMPI link! Wish I would have researched rumrunner lol. Oh well, jcase is a great Dev and deserves the donation. Thanks again for the link, and I'll post back with my results later.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
24th November 2015, 05:42 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Oh well, jcase is a great Dev and deserves the donation.

Quote:

Thanks again for the link, and I'll post back with my results later.

Yep let me know, if its not working with the config.dat file on your sd card there is another method to do it using an Y-USB OTG cable with a external hard drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alray Ad-Free
24th November 2015, 06:19 PM |#5  
Flag Marion, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yep let me know, if its not working with the config.dat file on your sd card there is another method to do it using an Y-USB OTG cable with a external hard drive.

Well on the first try it said "sd init fail" so I put the file on an sdcard and tried again. It said everything was a success except for reading some other files, but then it said it passed. However, after rebooting it looks like I'm still network locked to Alltel. I ran an IMEI check to make sure the phone isn't reported as lost/stolen and it came back clean so I don't know what's going on. The only SIM card I have tried after trying to unlock though was the T-Mobile SIM card that came with the Straight Talk kit. I'm wondering if that would even work though since this is a CDMA device?

Code:
SD init OK
Reading config.dat files [37]Bytes
Read MCCMNC file success
Open CID file fail
Open IMEI file fail
Open atsdeb file fail
Open SF file fail
Open NAME file fail
Get device IMEI success
IMEI checking ...PASS!
Process done, reboot device?
^^ That's what it shows after I select "SIMLOCK" from the HBoot menu.

I wonder if the phone also has to be rooted?
25th November 2015, 04:42 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Code:
SD init OK
Read MCCMNC file success
Open CID file fail
Open IMEI file fail
Open atsdeb file fail
Open SF file fail
Open NAME file fail
Get device IMEI success
IMEI checking ...PASS!

Mine is rooted and comes up with the same errors, have yet to test a different SIM yet.
25th November 2015, 04:46 AM |#7  
Flag Marion, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKKR

Mine is rooted and comes up with the same errors, have yet to test a different SIM yet.

I tried 4 and got the same results.

25th November 2015, 06:08 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well on the first try it said "sd init fail" so I put the file on an sdcard and tried again. It said everything was a success except for reading some other files, but then it said it passed. However, after rebooting it looks like I'm still network locked to Alltel. I ran an IMEI check to make sure the phone isn't reported as lost/stolen and it came back clean so I don't know what's going on. The only SIM card I have tried after trying to unlock though was the T-Mobile SIM card that came with the Straight Talk kit. I'm wondering if that would even work though since this is a CDMA device?

Code:
SD init OK
Read MCCMNC file success
Open CID file fail
Open IMEI file fail
Open atsdeb file fail
Open SF file fail
Open NAME file fail
Get device IMEI success
IMEI checking ...PASS!

Root doesn't matter, the OS is not even booted when in bootloader so how root would change something
So your phone is CDMA.... I'm not sure it will work on CDMA phones, I'm confident it should work on GSM devices (model ending with U or UL).

Everything you are seeing on your phone is normal btw. Should look like this:

You might want to try the other method using an external drive like described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=606
But again looks like everything worked fine in your case. That might only be caused by your phone being a CDMA variant...
25th November 2015, 07:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Just tested; works with a different SIM. Mine is UL though.
25th November 2015, 08:06 PM |#10  
Flag Marion, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Root doesn't matter, the OS is not even booted when in bootloader so how root would change something
So your phone is CDMA.... I'm not sure it will work on CDMA phones, I'm confident it should work on GSM devices (model ending with U or UL).

Everything you are seeing on your phone is normal btw. Should look like this:

You might want to try the other method using an external drive like described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=606
But again looks like everything worked fine in your case. That might only be caused by your phone being a CDMA variant...

Yeah I think I'm just going to give up on it and cut my losses. I'll just buy her a different phone. I've bought enough for that phone and don't really want to buy an OTG cable.

27th November 2015, 11:23 PM |#11  
Flag Marion, OH

Donate to Me
More
Walmart had a pre-black friday sale where they had a Straight Talk LG Sunset for $24 (normally $100) so I just got her that. Thanks for all the help though guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to spc_hicks09 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spc_hicks09 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)