[GUIDE] [11/06/14] HTCDev Unlock and Root/Return to Stock

Search This thread

flyingcowboy

Aug 7, 2015
stuck at fastboot after running the root software

Hi ClearD
After using V2 to root my phone, it stuck at fastboot manual again and again.
When I click recovery button under hboot manu , the information "This build is for development purposes only. Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC's written permission." was flashing then back to the hboot manual again.

I tried V3 and command to flash twrp-2.8.7.0-a3ul.img, still same

Is any suggestion I can have?

Some information about my D610T : unlocked s-on

Thanks~~

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Elaborate, I'm not sure what some of your terms are referring to. What is "fastboot manual" and "hboot manual"?

flyingcowboy

Aug 7, 2015
Elaborate, I'm not sure what some of your terms are referring to. What is "fastboot manual" and "hboot manual"?
Sorry , It is menu not manual:eek:~~
Pic 1 : This "hboot menu" before I click "recovrey"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98TI8vzkIzCUkJPNEV1TGlRZ3M

Pic2: After clicking "recovery" button ,the red information was flashing very quickly then went to pic 3
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98TI8vzkIzCUlFxdUNDdkVmYWM

Pic3: so called "fastboot menu", and also my phone stuck at here if I kept rebooting it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98TI8vzkIzCSVR6VzRrd1ZZWDA

thanks,~~

Last edited:

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
My desire 610 is an A3_UL, yours is showing A3_TL. This indicates they're not the same model. Where are you located and is your device a 610? Mine is an at&t brand as well, but this hasn't failed for international models as far as I know.

Rock32

Sep 27, 2012
Does anyone know how to unroot this device?
I wanna uninstall SuperSU but it appears everytime i reboot my phone.
it was re-installed automatically :(
Help me, thanks!
// My phone: unlocked, s-on

CTXCI

Does anyone know how to unroot this device?
I wanna uninstall SuperSU but it appears everytime i reboot my phone.
it was re-installed automatically :(
Help me, thanks!
// My phone: unlocked, s-on
That's strange. I had tested the unroot via SuperSU last week and it worked. But something weird I noticed was it caused the calculator, calendar, and a couple apps to not work. You could always relock your boatloader, and reinstall the stock RUU.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rock32

Rock32

Sep 27, 2012
I'm from Vietnam. I'm sure that you don't know the name of my carrier :D
It 's a Gsm carrier and my phone is no-contract, i think so.

Last edited:

coolarun1980

Nov 7, 2011
Can some please help with unlocking of Desire 610 from AT&T. I tried to get unlock code from AT&T from unlock portal. But after I putting IMEI this is not recognized. I tried buying code from ebay service and they came back no code found. What should I do now. I want to unlock and sell this as brand new. Please help.

seonn

Oct 29, 2015
brick

oky thanks very much, this doesnt work :) bricked with your 2.1 red triangle - and what to do now? cant do anything... turn off, reboot, boot to recovery... kek, well gota wait now when battery will be dead... maybe after that it reboots.....

update: - cant post images but just open, postimg page and typo in right syntax ubb8ne9c3
managed to get trough, PWR+VOLUP+VOLDOWN press rapidly (spam it), wipe cache

Last edited:

latad1285

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks and a question

Thanks for the tools and clear instructions! I rooted last night using V3 of the tool. I'm using an AT&T 610 running Android 4.4.2, build 1.52.502.16. I'm a bit confused because I don't see jmz in the kernel information. Does the V3 tool no longer require the jmz kernel? Could this be why link2sd is not working? The whole reason I rooted was to gain the ability to move apps to the sd card. Thanks in advance for any insights or suggestions.

khepera bennu

Oct 18, 2016
hey

how do i fix my htc desire 610 so it can show the option oem unlocking i hit the build number 7 times but when i go to developer options i dont get it plus in recovery mode it shows me tampered and beneath it shows unlock

ShocWave

Feb 22, 2011
Hey guys, I'm trying to return to stock, but I have lost my desirebackup.ab file in a hard disk crash.
Does anyone know where I can find the one for AT&T? I believe it was running the latest firmware prior to unlocking the bootloader.

Nope. Root tool v4 is just a simplified recovery flasher or booter. Recovery itself already has capabilities to root our phones, so I'm just letting it do the work from now on.

Soon, when I get time, I'm going to make it pretty with a gui and add some buttons to do different things, but for now, v4 should work ok.

... cleard, how do we use the v4 version of your tool... i definitrly DO NOT want to screw this up... thanks for any and all help, i teally appreciate it, and have a great day/week/end!!!...

Dec 29, 2017
Hi, i have htc desire 610. When i try unlocking bootloader at the last step, after entering unlock.bin command in cmd it goes successfully, but "unlock bootloader?" screen doesn't pop up on the phone. What should i do? I am frustrated. Can't even find stock rom to reflash fully to repeat steps again. Maybe there is an error in system.

INFOversion-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.101.1102.17.0506
INFOversion-main: 1.31.709.3
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
INFOproduct: a3_ul
INFOmodelid: 0P9O22000
INFOcidnum: HTC__621
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 99937bd6

Reactions: szefujiko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are instructions on how to unlock and root your htc desire 610. These work for both models, but the files are for the AT&T version.

BEFORE WE BEGIN, SOME TERMINOLOGY:
    Unlocked Bootloader: HTCDev website will help us do this. It's free. It allows you to flash a recovery and signed boot image, which we have. It does not allow you to flash unsigned images.

S-On: Security on. This is how our phones come stock. Htc will not allow us to flash unsigned images because of this.

S-off: once someone achieves this for us, it will allow us to modify anything and everything, signed or not. We can flash new boot image and radios without worry of version number or signature.

Root: Allows you "administrative access" to your device, to move files and do certain things. However, our phone also has...

System Write Protection: HTC included this in the kernel, and it basically means that unless you have a kernel or boot image that gets around it, any changes you make to the system partition (aside from flashing in recovery) won't stick through a reboot. Essentially they will be temporary in an effort to preserve the phone. We don't like this.

Now then, with that out of the way...

1) HTCDev Bootloader Unlock: Under "Select Your Device", scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM, and choose "All Other Supported Models". I know it works, because I just did it. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE DATA. If you want the data backed up beforehand, turn on USB Debugging and use this command through adb to make a backup:
    Code:
    adb backup -apk -shared -all -f C:\desirebackup.ab

2)Download ClearD's Root Tool V3(USE VERSION 2.1 BELOW, VERSION 3 DOESN'T WORK FOR MOST PEOPLE): After you have drivers installed for your desire (install htc sync, plug in your phone, then let them load, then uninstall htc sync), fastboot turned off in the battery options in settings, and USB debugging turned on through the hidden developers menu, read the disclaimer in red below, and download and run this exe on your Windows machine with your phone plugged in. It'll install twrp recovery 2.8.0.1, install the engineering boot image, install SuperSU and root, and then install jmz's system-unlocked kernel to make root work like it should. I'm still working out kinks, so if it doesn't work right the first time, run it a second time! Thanks go to jmz, deez_troy, AdriVelazquez, and chainfire for the pieces to make this work.

DISCLAIMER: ONCE YOU USE THIS TOOL, YOUR DEVICE WILL HAVE THE ROOTED ENGINEERING BOOT IMAGE, WHICH CANNOT BE REVERSED. THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS TO THIS IMAGE EXCEPT THAT IT SHOWS A DISCLAIMER ON YOUR SPLASH SCREEN WHEN YOU BOOT THE PHONE. THIS CANNOT BE CHANGED UNTIL WE GAIN S-OFF, WHICH HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED, BUT IS NOT YET PUBLICLY AVAILABLE. IF YOU ARE OK WITH THIS, PROCEED.

IF V3 DOESN'T WORK, HERE IS VERSION 2.1: Download ClearD's Root Tool V2.1. THIS VERSION INSTALLS ENGINEERING BOOT IMAGE AND JMZ KERNEL.

Return to Stock (AT&T ONLY) :http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_...16_10.20.4187.00L_release_392486_signed_2.exe
    This ruu will bring you back to complete stock, version 1.50.502.7. It has to be run through Windows, and you have to have a locked bootloader to run it. If you're unlocked, you can relock it in fastboot with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    . Feel free to unlock it again after updating through the RUU. :) You can use your original unlock token or get it again through htcdev.

Older root tool version 1:
    Download ClearD's Desire 610 Root Tool V1. This version does not contain the engineering boot image, and needs it to work fully, thus is buggy and probably won't root you with one click. It will fail to adb remount, which will fail to auto install the zip files in recovery. If you've already flashed the engineering boot image, then it will work properly without issue. Otherwise, it'll place the root zip files on your phone, but you'll have to flash them manually in recovery.

Old manual method:
    2) Recovery: After you're unlocked, download TWRP recovery from this thread, rename the image file to "recovery.img", and flash through fastboot with the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    This will give you the official Team Win Recovery Project recovery for our device, which will allow you to root.

3) Insecure Boot Image and Root: Once you have recovery installed, the rest is easy. In recovery, if you try to reboot back into the rom, it will ask you if you wish to root. Select yes. It will do the rest I believe, and install SuperSU when you boot back into the rom. You'll also want to download and flash JMZ's insecure kernel, which unlocks the system file lock that htc places on their newer devices. Once flashed, you can then change system files and the changes will stick through reboots.

HTC Engineering Boot Image:
    Once unlocked, download the root zip provided in this thread, then open it. We can't just flash the zip file because most of us have an updated rom version than the one it was intended for, and I'm not sure how to fix that. But no bother. Pull out the boot image file, and place it somewhere you can find it. I put it right in my MiniADB/Fastboot folder for easy access. Then, you need to flash it. Here's how:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot_root.img
    You'll then have an insecure boot image, and it will say so on your splash screen. Trust me, the words are pretty ominous. :)

To restore your backup you made before unlocking, use this in adb:
    Code:
    adb restore C:\desirebackup.ab

A few superstars are currently working on s-off, and this will be updated once that occurs.

Special thanks to:
    -JMZ (Recovery and Kernel)
    -Deez_Troy (officiating recovery)
    -AdriVelazquez (Insecure boot image)
    -Chainfire (SuperSu)
    Got it finished. Even made it a self-running exe file. So, just click the exe and let it run. Read the instructions and let it do its thing. I'll upload it tomorrow at work, so I'm not using a crazy amount of my phone data tonight lol. It flashes twrp, roots your phone, then flashes jmz's kernel to keep root working like it's supposed to. Since his kernel zip uses aroma installer, I can't automate that part, but the rest is all automatic. It'll reboot your phone when it needs to, reboot into fastboot and recovery, and auto flash things. :)
    Well, I had to leave my laptop at my mom's house. Desktop is here at my house, but all my development tools are on my laptop. Off work tomorrow, and should have it back tomorrow morning. If nothing else, a one click script should be easy enough without the gui for tomorrow. I'll keep working.
    I'll try to work on it today. No promises, but I'll see what I can get done. :)
    I'm not sure, as I don't have a Mac sadly. My apologies. :(

And to others, I haven't forgotten about the project. I've actually got some of the script written on my phone right here. I just bought my first house today and I've been moving in and unpacking. My desktop is still at the old apartment but not for long. Then we'll get cracking.