FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Htc 820 rebooting ONLY into recovery and black screen

374 posts
Thanks Meter: 94

By Vivacity, Senior Member on 23rd October 2015, 06:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello i tried to flash twrp recovery on my htc 820u but i think it didn't install. Phone was still working correctly until i tried to do a factory reset. Now it will just boot into recovery every time and i have only a black screen. the phone vibrates when i touch the screen but i cannot switch it off. when i reboot it just goes back to recovery.

Can anyone suggest something please? Is there a way to prevent the phone from booting into recovery?

PS: I'm on lollipop 5.0

23rd October 2015, 06:58 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivacity

Hello i tried to flash twrp recovery on my htc 820u but i think it didn't install. Phone was still working correctly until i tried to do a factory reset. Now it will just boot into recovery every time and i have only a black screen. the phone vibrates when i touch the screen but i cannot switch it off. when i reboot it just goes back to recovery.

Can anyone suggest something please? Is there a way to prevent the phone from booting into recovery?

PS: I'm on lollipop 5.0

You must not duplicate the post in different forum for the same topic.

Anyway, do it as follow:
1. Connect your device to the PC once it is booted into twrp recovery
2. Copy your Lollipop recovery to the device over adb: adb push recovery.img /external_sd/recovery.img
3. Run: adb shell
4. Run in shell: dd if=/external_sd/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p44
5. Run in shell: reboot

If the device reboots into stock recovery, press and hold vol up + vol down + power until the display goes black. Release the vol up button immediately (while still holding other buttons). Device will reboot into fastboot. Select reboot from the menu.

Hope you are back to business.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tomal Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 04:14 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomal

Anyway, do it as follow:
2. Copy your Lollipop recovery to the device over adb: adb push recovery.img /external_sd/recovery.img

If the device reboots into stock recovery, press and hold vol up + vol down + power until the display goes black. Release the vol up button immediately (while still holding other buttons). Device will reboot into fastboot. Select reboot from the menu.

thank you so much. that is much appreciated. hope if anyone else encounters this type of problem this will be able to help them.
23rd October 2015, 05:41 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Anyway, do it as follow:

By any chance would you happen to know why the twrp shows black screen? it is still functionnal, would it be because of incompatibility with lollipop? and any way to fix it?

PS: it worked fine on kitkat.
1st March 2016, 02:22 PM |#5  
Flag Antwerp
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivacity

By any chance would you happen to know why the twrp shows black screen? it is still functionnal, would it be because of incompatibility with lollipop? and any way to fix it?

PS: it worked fine on kitkat.

It goes in sleeping mode, you can disable this in settings=> screen=> enable/disable screen timeout (all in twrp)

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote:

Anyway, do it as follow:

What can I do when (for step 2) I do not have a recovery? Can I use one not coming from this Phone?
I did encounter the same "reboot to recovery bug" but I got it from updating the SU Binary.
Hope you can help me.
4th March 2016, 11:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi guys, same problem here, with twrp apparently functioning but nothing displays on screen. Also, impossible to boot the device properly.
Tried the whole adb procedure mentioned above, did nothing as far as I can tell. Trying to reboot from fastboot leads to the HTC green boot logo, but no further... What should I try now ? Is it possible to inject a stock rom from HTC and where can I get it ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
21st October 2016, 09:51 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
thank you this helped me too
26th October 2016, 10:31 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwise

Hi guys, same problem here, with twrp apparently functioning but nothing displays on screen. Also, impossible to boot the device properly.
Tried the whole adb procedure mentioned above, did nothing as far as I can tell. Trying to reboot from fastboot leads to the HTC green boot logo, but no further... What should I try now ? Is it possible to inject a stock rom from HTC and where can I get it ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Same here! Please help!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)