FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Request for data/help: Unbricking an XT912

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
By DECloyd, Junior Member on 1st February 2019, 08:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have read that unbricking is always possible, just not always an easy action. I'm OK with "not easy" and am hoping...

I have an XT912 (Droid Razr Maxx) running (was running ) JB 4.1.2. I rooted it and just updated Safestrap to 3.75 in order to prepare for LineageOS 14.1. Safestrap was running well and I made a good NANDroid.

Here's where I went sideways and what has happened since:
I did the required wipes (paused for a while to do some additional reading) and decided to exit Safestrap in order to reboot and check an app setting. When I started the reboot, TWRP stated that there was no OS installed. I continued to reboot (I momentarily forgot about the wipes) and was shown a message that SU was not installed and was prompted to install SU (I thought that this was odd, but did that action without error) and selected Reboot when it finished.

The Motorola power-up logo displayed for the usual amount of time, but the Safestrap splash screen never appeared. After a 2-3 minutes wait, I pressed/held the Power button and the same sequence happened, again. I did this a couple of more times. After the first two times, I saw a short bar of white flash across the bottom or top of the screen before or after the Motorola logo.

I then tried every button combination (Power/Vol-down, Power/Vol-up, Power/vol-up+down), each time for 10 and, then, 30 seconds. All got either no result or the above Moto logo followed by a blank screen.

I plugged the XT912 into the PC's USB port and got nothing on the screen, but the USB connect sound happened each time that a button press resulted in the Moto logo, both when it appeared and when it disappeared.

I went to bed. The next day, pressing the Power button got nothing, as did any other button combination.

I plugged the phone in to charge (using the PC's USB port) and the power-LED lit. After an hour, I used the Power button and got nothing. I plugged it back into the USB port, saw the charging-LED light and used the Power button (10 7 30 second presses): I got nothing.

Today's status: I get no noticable response from any button combination, but I do see the charging-LED when I connect it to the PC.

The one thing that I haven't done is disconnect/reconnect the battery.


I have seen references to tools that can flash a stock image to a "dead" phone (RSD Lite).

My question is simple:
Is there any way that I can recover/unbrick my XT912, based on the above data?

If additional data will help, let me know.


My best!
Dave
 
 
3rd February 2019, 05:41 AM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECloyd

I have read that unbricking is always possible, just not always an easy action. I'm OK with "not easy" and am hoping...

I have an XT912 (Droid Razr Maxx) running (was running ) JB 4.1.2. I rooted it and just updated Safestrap to 3.75 in order to prepare for LineageOS 14.1. Safestrap was running well and I made a good NANDroid.

Here's where I went sideways and what has happened since:
I did the required wipes (paused for a while to do some additional reading) and decided to exit Safestrap in order to reboot and check an app setting. When I started the reboot, TWRP stated that there was no OS installed. I continued to reboot (I momentarily forgot about the wipes) and was shown a message that SU was not installed and was prompted to install SU (I thought that this was odd, but did that action without error) and selected Reboot when it finished.

The Motorola power-up logo displayed for the usual amount of time, but the Safestrap splash screen never appeared. After a 2-3 minutes wait, I pressed/held the Power button and the same sequence happened, again. I did this a couple of more times. After the first two times, I saw a short bar of white flash across the bottom or top of the screen before or after the Motorola logo.

I then tried every button combination (Power/Vol-down, Power/Vol-up, Power/vol-up+down), each time for 10 and, then, 30 seconds. All got either no result or the above Moto logo followed by a blank screen.

I plugged the XT912 into the PC's USB port and got nothing on the screen, but the USB connect sound happened each time that a button press resulted in the Moto logo, both when it appeared and when it disappeared.

I went to bed. The next day, pressing the Power button got nothing, as did any other button combination.

I plugged the phone in to charge (using the PC's USB port) and the power-LED lit. After an hour, I used the Power button and got nothing. I plugged it back into the USB port, saw the charging-LED light and used the Power button (10 7 30 second presses): I got nothing.

Today's status: I get no noticable response from any button combination, but I do see the charging-LED when I connect it to the PC.

The one thing that I haven't done is disconnect/reconnect the battery.


I have seen references to tools that can flash a stock image to a "dead" phone (RSD Lite).

My question is simple:
Is there any way that I can recover/unbrick my XT912, based on the above data?

If additional data will help, let me know.


My best!
Dave

See low battery options in
Moto Drivers, Firmware, RSD Lite, and other Unbricking Tools

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs
5th February 2019, 03:07 AM |#3  
DECloyd's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Thanks!

The cable is on the way. I'll post here after it arrives and I've put it to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

See low battery options in
Moto Drivers, Firmware, RSD Lite, and other Unbricking Tools

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

12th February 2019, 09:34 PM |#4  
DECloyd's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECloyd

Thanks!

The cable is on the way. I'll post here after it arrives and I've put it to use.

The cable did the trick! Mucho gracias!

It took a few minutes for the XT912 to be recognizable by RSD Lite - I got a little concerned during the lag, but up it came and away I went.

After the stock OS was flashed, I did the root procedure, rebooted into recovery (SafeStrap) and restored the backup that I made just before the brick event. Nice!

Thanks for you help! And, I noticed that you have a lot of data posted. I'm going to browse and enjoy the new info.
And, I'll be paying for your breakfast, coffee, beer or whatever.

My best,
Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DECloyd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DECloyd Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes