FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

i think we would had a greater community if unlocking bootleader was free.

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 11
 
By droid_ulti, Member on 13th March 2018, 01:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
lets face it, droid turbo community is dead , nexus 5 with SD 800 have android O !
while our much powerful OG droid stuck on MM or N, and i am not talking about 25$ , it's just xda is the place were you get stuff for free , that's just sad seeing a good device feed away.
 
 
13th March 2018, 02:02 PM |#2  
ChazzMatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,471
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid_ulti

lets face it, droid turbo community is dead , nexus 5 with SD 800 have android O !
while our much powerful OG droid stuck on MM or N, and i am not talking about 25$ , it's just xda is the place were you get stuff for free , that's just sad seeing a good device feed away.

I'm sorry that you failed to include that in your purchase price . That's your fault.

If Bootloader unlock is that important to you you would've researched and known the cost.

Blame Verizon -- they are the ones that locked down the Bootloader on the droid turbo. The other Quarks have free Bootloader unlock, courtesy of Motorola. Sunshine devs gave Droid Turbo bootloader unlock, so they could join the party. Without them, Droid Turbo would still not have bootloader unlock -- like the Droid Turbo 2.

The XT1250 is identical to the Droid Turbo, with all the Verizon bands, and runs on Verizon just fine. The XT1225 has more LTE and HSPA bands than the Droid Turbo XT1254.

You didn't research before buying.

Quark will also get Oreo, so I don't understand your point there. All LOS-based Quark ROMs are compatible with all Quarks.

Maybe you don't don't about the OTHER Quark forum on XDA? All the dev work is over there. And it's also for the Droid Turbo.

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 02:24 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
lol man , you missing the point , i don't have issue with paying 25$ in fact my droid is boot-loader unlocked right now using sunshine , the point is community is dead we don't have a variety of roms like the same era phones such as htc m8 and smasung s5 and z2/z3 nexus 5/6 etc , even my 2012 lg l3 have more roms droid turbo, the unlocking boot-loaeder and sunshine was obstacles against all this wonderful hacking and moding things we could do.
13th March 2018, 03:01 PM |#4  
ChazzMatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,471
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid_ulti

lol man , you missing the point , i don't have issue with paying 25$ in fact my droid is boot-loader unlocked right now using sunshine , the point is community is dead we don't have a variety of roms like the same era phones such as htc m8 and smasung s5 and z2/z3 nexus 5/6 etc , even my 2012 lg l3 have more roms droid turbo, the unlocking boot-loaeder and sunshine was obstacles against all this wonderful hacking and moding things we could do.

You missed my point. Droid Turbo XT1254 is only one Quark of three, all of which use the exact same LOS-based ROMs.

It would be like LG G3 was divided up into three different model names. The internal name was Quark, but the global consumer name for this device was Moto Maxx -- even for the U.S. model, but Verizon demanded an "exclusive", so theirs was named "Droid Turbo". But the XT1254 exactly the same phone as the XT1250 -- just has a locked down bootloader. It wasn't exclusive in any way. Other carriers in the U.S. sold the Moto Max XT1250, which has the same FCC ID as the the Droid Turbo XT1254.

Then the XT1225 Moto Maxx was renamed Moto Turbo for India, but it's the exact same FCC ID device as the XT1225 Moto Maxx.

Droid Turbo is the only one with locked down bootloader. The others are not. So, nothing is preventing development unless you INSIST on buying the only Quark with locked down bootloader, and didn't research before buying.

That's why all the development for Quarks, including the Droid Turbo is posted in the OTHER QUARK forum. Like TWRP, custom kernels, most of the ROMs.

Your whole premise is flawed. You think people HAVE to buy Droid Turbo or nothing. No, they can buy one of the other Quarks and have free bootloader unlock.

* With XT1225 they can have more LTE and HSPA bands.
* With XT1250 they can have all the Verizon CDMA and Verizon LTE bands.

The Droid Turbo XT1254 is the least desirable of all the Quarks... But if you buy it, be sure to factor in $25 for bootloader unlock. The others have free bootloader unlock.




Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 06:07 PM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
people buy the Verizon droid turbo over the other Quarks because the price and availability , being said that i think most Quark users are using xt1254 plus it is compatible with CDMA and GSM that's why the user go for xt1254 which is the most desirable,
any the phone is three years old can't people around the globe who are using xt1254 get a free unlock !
13th March 2018, 07:39 PM |#6  
ChazzMatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,471
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid_ulti

people buy the Verizon droid turbo over the other Quarks because the price and availability , being said that i think most Quark users are using xt1254 plus it is compatible with CDMA and GSM that's why the user go for xt1254 which is the most desirable,
any the phone is three years old can't people around the globe who are using xt1254 get a free unlock !

Again, you have it wrong.

Why do you think the Droid Turbo is cheaper? Because you have to factor in extra $25 into the purchase price for bootloader unlock. The REAL price is $25 MORE than you paid. People who buy it have to do that -- if bootloader unlocked and root is important to them. Thus, Droid Turbo SEEMS cheaper...

If there was "free bootloader unlock", Droid Turbos would then become more expensive as the price would rise. Just like 2015 Kinzie -- Verizon Droid Turbo 2 are much cheaper because they don't have bootloader unlock, but sibling Moto X Force is more expensive because it's BETTER -- it has free bootloader unlock from Motorola.

Why do you think the other Quarks (XT1250/XT1225) are more expensive? Because they are better. Free bootloader unlock from Motorola.

Outside the U.S. CDMA is mostly useless. Most of the world detests CDMA and doesn't use it. The XT1225 has more LTE and HSPA bands than the XT1254/XT1250 and doesn't have useless CDMA.. It has 64GB storage and FREE bootloader unlock, whereas most XT1254 have 32GB storage (yes, some have 64GB but not many) and you have to pay $25 for bootloader unlock and it's sometimes not easy to do. So XT1225 is worth more money.
____

Sunshine team publicly released the vulnerability they use. Anyone that wants can code free bootloader unlock. Nothing is stopping anyone from coding and releasing it.

But you seem to be blaming the devs who are offering a solution. If there was no Sunshine, you would HAVE to buy XT1250 or XT1225 -- or another phone altogether.

The Verizon Droid Turbo 2 (Kinzie) never got bootloader unlock, so people HAVE to buy the free bootloader unlock Moto X Force (Kinzie) if they want root and custom ROMs. Tons of people would LOVE the opportunity to pay $25 to unlock their Droid Turbo 2!

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
14th March 2018, 11:58 AM |#7  
ChazzMatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,471
 
Donate to Me
More
Here's news about Oreo ROMs for Quark, and the current list of Nougat ROMs. Since you're new, you may have missed this.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...4&postcount=94
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
21st April 2018, 03:54 PM |#8  
lem22's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
More
Oreo needs at least Kernel 4.4. To prevent false hopes, it still should be called Resurrection Remix.
It's a bit like installing Vista themes on Windows XP back in the days...
21st April 2018, 04:21 PM |#9  
ChazzMatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,471
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem22

Oreo needs at least Kernel 4.4. To prevent false hopes, it still should be called Resurrection Remix.
It's a bit like installing Vista themes on Windows XP back in the days...

SUMMARY: you're never going to have a kernel for a device which was not first released by the OEM, in this case Motorola.
________

Call the kernel Resurrection Remix? It seems you are confusing kernels with specific ROM names? Maybe you are making a joke, I'm not sure.

Once we have a compatible kernel in the LOS tree to that will run on Oreo, any ROM maintainer can package and release a ROM. @bhb27, our kernel developer also maintains Resurrection Remix ROM. But there's also LOS, crDroid, etc. All the current ROMs will probably follow to Oreo. We may even attract some new ones.

An Oreo compatible kernel is the FOUNDATION for any Oreo ROM. You need that first. But you can't just create a kernel out of thin air. You need to adapt the kernel sources the OEM (in this case Motorola) has released publicly.

_________

Here's the problem with the kernel -- and I'm not an expert on kernels, but I'll explain it the best I can.

When our former official CM dev @Skrilax_CZ started this work back in early 2015, he had to take Motorola KitKat kernel sources and adapt it to work with Lollipop CM 12.0 (March 2015) and then CM12.1 (April 2015). We had Lollipop CM custom ROM BEFORE Motorola gave us Lollipop.

Motorola did release official Lollipop, but didn't release Lollipop kernel sources until like July 2015. At that point our CM dev @Skrilax_CZ then updated the CM kernel to "Lollipop" kernel. Until then for many months, we had Lollipop ROMs running on Kitkat kernel.

WHY? Because you can't just create a kernel that will run on a phone from scratch. You have to adapt the kernel the OEM has made for it.

Then, same thing happened with Marshmallow. For awhile, we had Marshmallow ROMs running on "Lollipop" kernel. Then Motorola released Marshmallow kernel sources and now we have "Marshmallow" kernel. During this time frame (Marshmallow to Nougat) was when @bhb27 took over kernel coding duties.

Well, guess what? Marshmallow was the last firmware Motorola ever released for Quark.

Yet, we have Nougat ROMs -- running on Marshmallow kernel. (Thanks to @bhb27)

If we ever get Oreo -- it will be Oreo running on Marshmallow kernel. (Thanks to @bhb27).

So, no I'd pretty much bet you will never get Linux Kernel 4.4 running on any Quark. If you want that, you would need official OEM kernel coding -- with stock official Oreo ROM -- which is only available with currently supported hardware. XDA devs with skill give life to older devices like these 2014 phones, but there's limits to what they can do.

I have Linux kernel 4.4.63 on my LG V30 US998, but it's a new phone. LG codes that kernel. Three years from now if I still have this phone, any ROMs in running will have to be using kernel sources from LG.

Just like any Quark will need kernel sources from Motorola -- and the last available is Marshmallow kernel, circa 2016.
26th April 2018, 09:30 PM |#10  
TheSt33v's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Stupid Country
Thanks Meter: 1,357
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem22

Oreo needs at least Kernel 4.4

Not true. See link for LOS 15.1 for Nexus 4, Linux kernel 3.4: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...-15-1-t3758779
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSt33v For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheSt33v Ad-Free
28th April 2018, 03:44 PM |#11  
ChazzMatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 10,471
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem22

Oreo needs at least Kernel 4.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt33v

Not true. See link for LOS 15.1 for (2012) Nexus 4, Linux kernel 3.4:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...-15-1-t3758779

If he actually meant that, then he's wrong. I pointed out how he was wrong in thinking that older devices running Oreo custom ROMs will ever get Linux kernel 4.4. You need OEM kernel sources for that, and most OEMs aren't going to release Oreo firmware for older phones (like our 2014 Quarks). Because they want you to buy NEW phones. So, devs have to adapt the last kernel sources they have (for Marshmallow, in this case) to work on newer OS. No one except the OEM can make a brand new 4.4.x kernel for an old device.

But I thought he meant "need" as in "want". So, it would run better or something.
Me: We need a new TV.
Wife: No, you want a new TV.

Nexus devices were very open source, so great that a 2012 phone (LG Nexus 4) has Oreo. I skipped that Nexus. I had the gen3 Galaxy Nexus and the gen5 LG Nexus 5 -- as well as the Nexus 9 tablet (which my wife still uses).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes