Power button broken- workaround?

Search This thread

aven1357

Dec 25, 2014
colorado
My Droid Turbo power buttons seems to no longer make contact (I don't hear any 'click'). I was concerned about these from the start (I've owned it since right around it came out in October last year). At the least, I was able to wake my phone up by calling it and setting the volume rocker to wake the phone. I leave the country in about 12 hours so this is a pretty frustrating discovery.

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether the Droid Turbo turns on after charging after it was turned off?

I've read in another forum that a Qi wireless charger will turn the phone on to charge it- does any know if this is how it works? If the phone is off, the Qi charger will turn it on and then perform a charging? What if it is drained completely? My buddy at work has an Energizer Qi charger, and his phone (Nexus something) did not turn on from being off when I placed it on the charger.

I have USB debugging enabled- would I be able to utilize adb to turn my phone on when it is off?

Thank you in advance, I'd try everything I'm asking except if none of them work my phones kaput.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattish13

SpyderPride

Jul 24, 2012
'adb reboot' might turn it on if you have USB debugging enabled, but I would wait for someone to confirm this (I can't try it right now). I don't know how this would work but one Google result says it does.

For waking up the screen, there is Moto Display which responds to accelerometer motion and Moto Actions, Approach... which senses your hand motion.

I would just not turn it off, turn on airplane mode to conserve battery when not in use, maybe bring another phone as a backup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
Still no workaround?

I just ran into this problem. Power button is completely broken (no click, or any resistance given when pushed in), and phone died last night. The first time this happened, i plugged it in to charge and it booted right up after getting an initial charge of about 5%, but now nothing. The display shows that I'm at %100 charge, but cannot figure out how to actually power on without using the power button. Anyone had any luck with this yet?

CptnTrips

Oct 8, 2015
Assuming your phone is powered off , Hold volume down key and connect charger cable. You will get into bootloader screen. Disconnect charger cable and connect phone to PC and use the following fastboot command to boot your device without actually using power button for once.

fastboot reboot

Thanks for this. I'm in the same boat. I'm at the bootloader. What do I need to be able to send the command to the phone? Is this what ADB is for?

You're welcome

First of all, you will need to have motorola usb drivers installed in your pc, download and install from motorola

Then, you need fastboot.exe in your p and,execute from windows command line. Have a look at Minimal ADB and Fastboot thread for information on how-to and downloads.

The rest as i posted, when the phone is off, keep volume down key pressed, connect charger, you will be in bootloader mode. This mode will let your phone and pc communicate only via fastboot protocol. So you can use the " fastboot reboot " command to start your device without a working power button.

MonstersPast

Nov 9, 2015
dude you are the man. this thread and method saved me of having to buy a new phone cause i thought my phone was gonna be a paper weight. thanks for all the info on the fastboot protocol

TraitorousGaming

Feb 8, 2016
You're welcome

First of all, you will need to have motorola usb drivers installed in your pc, download and install from motorola

Then, you need fastboot.exe in your p and,execute from windows command line. Have a look at Minimal ADB and Fastboot thread for information on how-to and downloads.

The rest as i posted, when the phone is off, keep volume down key pressed, connect charger, you will be in bootloader mode. This mode will let your phone and pc communicate only via fastboot protocol. So you can use the " fastboot reboot " command to start your device without a working power button.

It's been stuck on "waiting for device" for a while now, how long should it take?

N7FALCON

Feb 24, 2016
Qi Charger Works

"I've read in another forum that a Qi wireless charger will turn the phone on to charge it- does any know if this is how it works? If the phone is off, the Qi charger will turn it on and then perform a charging? What if it is drained completely? My buddy at work has an Energizer Qi charger, and his phone (Nexus something) did not turn on from being off when I placed it on the charger."

The Qi Wireless Charger works whether your phone is charged or not.. I went to the Verizon store and asked to see the charger demo'd... I placed my powered off, Fully Charged, Broken -power- button- Droid Turbo on the charger and it Came to life.

I immediately configured the phone with an alternate power button app to control the screen on/off. FYI None of the apps I found will actually power the phone on from off, but will control the screen once it is powered.

I actually tried everything in this forum short of the disassembly of the phone but that was next... the program download.. Reboot Fast Boot; I couldn't get it to download correctly. after about 3 hours I quit... drove to the store and the rest is history. So Glad Not to have Lost everything!..

dcvorhees

Mar 4, 2016
When I try this in the command prompt it says The device is not ready. I have all the Motorola's drivers downloaded so why isn't it working?

jman666

Mar 22, 2016
Thanks so much for sharing the minimal adb fastboot info, my son had issues with his droid turbo power button. I ear raped him for not taking care of his phone. I felt bad but we were both amazed at my new computer skills. im totally a computer retard and powering his phone back up with that program felt great ....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Reactions: ChazzMatt

nohassles

Jul 28, 2016
Thanks - using Qi charger "solution"

"I've read in another forum that a Qi wireless charger will turn the phone on to charge it- does any know if this is how it works? If the phone is off, the Qi charger will turn it on and then perform a charging? What if it is drained completely? My buddy at work has an Energizer Qi charger, and his phone (Nexus something) did not turn on from being off when I placed it on the charger."

The Qi Wireless Charger works whether your phone is charged or not.. I went to the Verizon store and asked to see the charger demo'd... I placed my powered off, Fully Charged, Broken -power- button- Droid Turbo on the charger and it Came to life.

I immediately configured the phone with an alternate power button app to control the screen on/off. FYI None of the apps I found will actually power the phone on from off, but will control the screen once it is powered.

I actually tried everything in this forum short of the disassembly of the phone but that was next... the program download.. Reboot Fast Boot; I couldn't get it to download correctly. after about 3 hours I quit... drove to the store and the rest is history. So Glad Not to have Lost everything!..

Thanks for the confirmation that this works. Not comfortable taking my Droid Turbo apart and would prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I have multiple QI chargers at home and work so hopefully that sustains until I get a new phone in 6 months. Will re-explore disassembly as an option when I find a good video for the Droid Turbo.

falconeer

Dec 2, 2016
Like yours, my Verizon Droid Turbo has a broken power switch. I accidentally allowed the battery to drain completely and could not get it powered on. However, I placed it on my QI charger I use for my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and it powered right up. Very happy that worked for me.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

gherman222

Sep 28, 2011
Android Wear
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
stuck in fastboot flash mode

Somehow I uninstalled my OS when trying to flash a ROM, and I'm stuck in Fastboot Flash Mode. My power button is broken. I can use ADB and do "Fastboot Reboot" but I'm still stuck in the bootloop. What other fastboot commands can I use to install a ROM that is on my internal storage? Or I have a download on my computer that I can use... Please help!

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Somehow I uninstalled my OS when trying to flash a ROM, and I'm stuck in Fastboot Flash Mode. My power button is broken. I can use ADB and do "Fastboot Reboot" but I'm still stuck in the bootloop. What other fastboot commands can I use to install a ROM that is on my internal storage? Or I have a download on my computer that I can use... Please help!

Well, using fastboot you can boot to TWRP.

http://lifehacker.com/the-most-useful-things-you-can-do-with-adb-and-fastboot-1590337225

adb reboot recovery
Function: Reboot your phone into recovery mode.

A lot of functions like flashing ROMs to your phone require you to boot into recovery mode. Normally, this requires you to hold down a particular set of buttons on your phone for a certain length of time, which is obnoxious. This command allows you to boot directly into recovery mode without performing the complex finger dance of your people.

From TWRP you can install the OS, you can drag files from your PC to install on your phone, you can RESTORE the backup I KNOW you made before doing any of this. :rolleyes:

Reactions: gherman222

gherman222

Sep 28, 2011
Android Wear
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Well, using fastboot you can boot to TWRP.

http://lifehacker.com/the-most-useful-things-you-can-do-with-adb-and-fastboot-1590337225

From TWRP you can install the OS, you can drag files from your PC to install on your phone, you can RESTORE the backup I KNOW you made before doing any of this. :rolleyes:

Haha, yes I do have a backup, but I can't get into recovery due to my broken power button and being in Fastboot Flash Mode. I checked the link, but didn't see the proper command... what is the command for Fastboot to TWRP recovery?

Here is what I'm seeing:
Bootloader: Slot-count: not found
Bootloader: Slot-suffixes: not found

Thank you for any more help you can provide!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Assuming your phone is powered off , Hold volume down key and connect charger cable. You will get into bootloader screen. Disconnect charger cable and connect phone to PC and use the following fastboot command to boot your device without actually using power button for once.

fastboot reboot
    You're welcome

Qi Charger Works

My Droid Turbo power buttons seems to no longer make contact (I don't hear any 'click'). I was concerned about these from the start (I've owned it since right around it came out in October last year). At the least, I was able to wake my phone up by calling it and setting the volume rocker to wake the phone. I leave the country in about 12 hours so this is a pretty frustrating discovery.

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether the Droid Turbo turns on after charging after it was turned off?

I've read in another forum that a Qi wireless charger will turn the phone on to charge it- does any know if this is how it works? If the phone is off, the Qi charger will turn it on and then perform a charging? What if it is drained completely? My buddy at work has an Energizer Qi charger, and his phone (Nexus something) did not turn on from being off when I placed it on the charger.

I have USB debugging enabled- would I be able to utilize adb to turn my phone on when it is off?

Thank you in advance, I'd try everything I'm asking except if none of them work my phones kaput.
    Thanks so much for sharing the minimal adb fastboot info, my son had issues with his droid turbo power button. I ear raped him for not taking care of his phone. I felt bad but we were both amazed at my new computer skills. im totally a computer retard and powering his phone back up with that program felt great ....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!