Relocked Bootloader... Bricked :(

Search This thread

pedro_maciel

Feb 1, 2016
Relocked the bootloader on Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx and again try to unlock the bootloader

C:\adb>fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [ -0.000s]
finished. total time: -0.000s

Now this time there is no notification on the phone screen and phone reboots automatically. Now flashing the Android logo from last 5 minute.

Not able to boot in recovery mode. Only fastboot mode is working.

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Relocked the bootloader on Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx and again try to unlock the bootloader

OKAY [ -0.000s]

Now this time there is no notification on the phone screen and phone reboots automatically. Now flashing the Android logo from last 5 minute.

what happens if you do a factory reset from the bootloader? Also can you flash a factory image?

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
Why did you relock the device in the first place? Not sure there is anything you can do at this point, I'm guessing you still had TWRP on the device which I believe would be the issue, but you can't remove that since your device is now locked and cannot be unlocked.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
Why did you relock the device in the first place? Not sure there is anything you can do at this point, I'm guessing you still had TWRP on the device which I believe would be the issue, but you can't remove that since your device is now locked and cannot be unlocked.

Incorrect. With a locked bootloader, it's very possible to overwrite the recovery partition with the stock recovery menu. In fact, it's possible to flash all of the stock images with a locked bootloader. See section 0 of my guide: http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/general/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-t3292684.

As for the OP's issue, I would say that if following section 0 of my guide does not solve the problem, you should probably consider your phone destroyed.

Last edited:

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
Incorrect. With a locked bootloader, it's very possible to overwrite the recovery partition with the stock recovery menu. In fact, it's possible to to flash all of the stock images with a locked bootloader. See section 0 of my guide: http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/general/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-t3292684.

As for the OP's issue, I would say that if following section 0 of my guide does not solve the problem, you should probably consider your phone destroyed.

Interesting, I didn't think that RSD would be able to modify the recovery partition on a locked device. Nonetheless if anything is going to work I believe what you have outlined is it St33v, best of luck to you OP.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

OKAY [ -0.000s]

Let's be clear -- it was the Droid Turbo. Leave off the Moto Maxx part, OK?

You can lock/unlock a Moto Maxx (XT1225/XT1250) or even Moto Turbo (XT1225) all you want. ;) In fact, the U.S. Moto Maxx XT1250 is IDENTICAL in every way to the Droid Turbo XT1254 -- radio bands, even the same FCC ID. Of all the Quarks, only Verizon's "Droid Turbo" has a carrier-locked down bootloader. All the others can be unlocked via the Motorola website. Whereas, the Droid Turbo bootloader unlock is a hack (Sunshine) that relies upon a vulnerability present in devices with Snapdragon 805.

Yes, WHY would you do that? Devs went through all the trouble to find a vulnerability to UNlock the Droid Turbo, and you lock it back? Been posted MANY, MANY times with the Droid Turob it's a one-time unlock only, through Sunshine.

Incorrect. With a locked bootloader, it's very possible to overwrite the recovery partition with the stock recovery menu. In fact, it's possible to to flash all of the stock images with a locked bootloader. See section 0 of my guide: http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/general/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-t3292684.

While you can flash stock again with a locked bootloader and it can work, over in the Moto Maxx section many people did brick their phones because they refused to unlock their bootloaders first. They were more worried about their silly "warranty" than having a functioning device. :rolleyes: We kept stressing, FIRST unlock your bootloader. If you mess up, it's an easy fix if a flash goes wrong. With a locked bootloader, a bad flash is a recipe for disaster.

Over in the Moto Maxx/Moto Turbo section was a write up about flashing images, similar to your write up:
http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/help/tutorial-how-to-flash-official-firmware-t3074724

Usually people wanting to downgrade back to KitKat or flash a Quark image from another region (India Moto Turbo XT1225) got Lollipop first before Latin American Moto Maxx XT1225).

And people were able to do it with a locked bootloader -- but you have to do everything just right. In my case, first time I flashed from Moto Maxx image to Moto Turbo image, I messed up. I was looking at the example picture more than reading the instructions. But, since I had an unlocked bootloader, so what? Just did it again the correct way, the second time. ;)

In the case of Moto Maxx brick people trying to flash to Moto Turbo, those people had to wait until Lollipop was released for their phones then try to re-flash an image made for their phones -- and HOPE it worked. ;)

Last edited:

bubblesd306

Mar 5, 2011
Quantico
Re Unlock

I did the same thing on my xt1254 this is what Beaups told me from sunshine and it worked for me. I did it from terminal emulated on the device and then was ablebto reflash twrp
Beaups (TheRootNinja Support)
Dec 29, 17:10

tested this on my device and it worked. Keep in mind we can't guarantee it will work for you and also can't guarantee it won't kill your device (but I don't see why it should). Copy paste this command, do NOT make any errors.

From a ROOT adb shell (if you don't have root you'll need to figure out how to get it, kingroot, etc):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/sp bs=1 seek=8

It should hang for a few seconds and then you should see something like:

dd: /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/sp: No space left on device
1048569+0 records in
1048568+0 records out
1048568 bytes transferred in 7.203 secs (145573 bytes/sec)

At that point reboot to bootloader and hopefully your problem is solved. Do NOT relock that device again in the future.

--beaups

Last edited:

tvlovers

Nov 23, 2009
How did you re-lock your bootloader? What did you do?

OKAY [ -0.000s]

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country

Before I answer this question, I have to make one thing clear: DON'T EVER DO THIS!

Verizon will still replace your phone under warranty with an unlocked bootloader as long as there is no physical damage. Motorola will do the same. Even if they do decide to get picky about bootloaders, re-locking your bootloader does not erase all traces of it ever being unlocked. Your bootloader will show status code 2, which indicates that it has been unlocked and re-locked again. If you lock it before you sell it to someone else, and they try to unlock it again, the phone will be ruined. There is absolutely no reason to do this.

With that out of the way, the command is "fastboot oem lock"

Don't ever use it.

Last edited:

tvlovers

Nov 23, 2009
Thank youfor the warning. I should make it clear before. The reason I was asking was to make sure that no one would accidentally do it as I see no reason to lock it again once unlocked.
Besides that fastboot command is there any other way to accidentally lock it? New VZW OTA software or OEM unlocking under developer options in settings?
Please advise.

Before I answer this question, I have to make one thing clear: DON'T EVER DO THIS!

Verizon will still replace your phone under warranty with an unlocked bootloader as long as there is no physical damage. Motorola will do the same. Even if they do decide to get picky about bootloaders, re-locking your bootloader does not erase all traces of it ever being unlocked. Your bootloader will show status code 2, which indicates that it has been unlocked and re-locked again. If you lock it before you sell it to someone else, and they try to unlock it again, the phone will be ruined. There is absolutely no reason to do this.

Don't ever use it.

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
Thank youfor the warning. I should make it clear before. The reason I was asking was to make sure that no one would accidentally do it as I see no reason to lock it again once unlocked.
Besides that fastboot command is there any other way to accidentally lock it? New VZW OTA software or OEM unlocking under developer options in settings?
Please advise.

A verizon OTA probably will not, but it's best to wait until someone here confirms that. In the past, they have not, but you never know what they'll try next. The OEM unlock setting in developer options does nothing on a Turbo. It's intended for true dev phones (or phones designed for carriers less tyrannical than Verizon) that can be unlocked and re-locked easily. It disables the "fastboot oem unlock" command that someone with a dev phone would normally use to easily unlock the bootloader. There are no other ways to lock the bootloader that I know of.

Reactions: tvlovers

richii0207

Nov 3, 2014
plus.google.com
I did the same thing on my xt1254 this is what Beaups told me from sunshine and it worked for me. I did it from terminal emulated on the device and then was ablebto reflash twrp

tested this on my device and it worked. Keep in mind we can't guarantee it will work for you and also can't guarantee it won't kill your device (but I don't see why it should). Copy paste this command, do NOT make any errors.

From a ROOT adb shell (if you don't have root you'll need to figure out how to get it, kingroot, etc):

1048569+0 records in
1048568+0 records out

At that point reboot to bootloader and hopefully your problem is solved. Do NOT relock that device again in the future.

--beaups
Has anyone that has unlocked using this method been able to flash CM or a CM-based ROM?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Has anyone that has unlocked using this method been able to flash CM or a CM-based ROM?

This isn't unlocking for a first time. This is unlocking for a second time.

Typically when you unlock a bootloader you can relock and unlock easily in adb.

For our device this is not the case and it should never be relocked.

A few have and have always succeeded with those commands.

Again this is only for a previously unlocked boot loader.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using XDA-Developers mobile app

richii0207

Nov 3, 2014
plus.google.com
This isn't unlocking for a first time. This is unlocking for a second time.

Typically when you unlock a bootloader you can relock and unlock easily in adb.

For our device this is not the case and it should never be relocked.

A few have and have always succeeded with those commands.

Again this is only for a previously unlocked boot loader.

Ya. I did unlock, relock, then unlock again. I am able to install TWRP, and use CF ROM with no issues but if I install CM, I get data but NO voice which is very odd.
Reflashing radios and messing with the network configurations did not help.
I've seen people that have unlocked twice and are able to run CM without any issues.

I've tried reflashing firmware, Reflashing SU38 and OTAing to 44 to no avail. I used to run CM before I relocked without a problem.

Although I do get errors flashing GPT partition, it says that it flashes backup GPT instead of primary.

Last edited:

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Ya. I did unlock, relock, then unlock again. I am able to install TWRP, and use CF ROM with no issues but if I install CM, I get data but NO voice which is very odd.
Reflashing radios and messing with the network configurations did not help.
I've seen people that have unlocked twice and are able to run CM without any issues.

I've tried reflashing firmware, Reflashing SU38 and OTAing to 44 to no avail. I used to run CM before I relocked without a problem.

Although I do get errors flashing GPT partition, it says that it flashes backup GPT instead of primary.

Is it possible you're not doing a full wipe? What version of twrp are you flashing with?

richii0207

Nov 3, 2014
plus.google.com
Is it possible you're not doing a full wipe? What version of twrp are you flashing with?

I realized that I can only make calls when VoLTE is enabled on stock. If I turn it off, I cannot make any phone calls but can access data still. I went into diagnostic mode and it showed " Phone ICCID compare with sim CCID error" with "UNKNOWN" under Phone ICCID. Hmmm..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re Unlock

1048569+0 records in
    1048568+0 records out

--beaups

Don't ever use it.

Incorrect. With a locked bootloader, it's very possible to overwrite the recovery partition with the stock recovery menu. In fact, it's possible to flash all of the stock images with a locked bootloader. See section 0 of my guide: http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/general/guide-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-t3292684.

OKAY [ -0.000s]

Let's be clear -- it was the Droid Turbo. Leave off the Moto Maxx part, OK?

You can lock/unlock a Moto Maxx (XT1225/XT1250) or even Moto Turbo (XT1225) all you want. ;) In fact, the U.S. Moto Maxx XT1250 is IDENTICAL in every way to the Droid Turbo XT1254 -- radio bands, even the same FCC ID. Of all the Quarks, only Verizon's "Droid Turbo" has a carrier-locked down bootloader. All the others can be unlocked via the Motorola website. Whereas, the Droid Turbo bootloader unlock is a hack (Sunshine) that relies upon a vulnerability present in devices with Snapdragon 805.

Yes, WHY would you do that? Devs went through all the trouble to find a vulnerability to UNlock the Droid Turbo, and you lock it back? Been posted MANY, MANY times with the Droid Turob it's a one-time unlock only, through Sunshine.

While you can flash stock again with a locked bootloader and it can work, over in the Moto Maxx section many people did brick their phones because they refused to unlock their bootloaders first. They were more worried about their silly "warranty" than having a functioning device. :rolleyes: We kept stressing, FIRST unlock your bootloader. If you mess up, it's an easy fix if a flash goes wrong. With a locked bootloader, a bad flash is a recipe for disaster.

Over in the Moto Maxx/Moto Turbo section was a write up about flashing images, similar to your write up:
    http://xdaforums.com/droid-turbo/help/tutorial-how-to-flash-official-firmware-t3074724

Usually people wanting to downgrade back to KitKat or flash a Quark image from another region (India Moto Turbo XT1225) got Lollipop first before Latin American Moto Maxx XT1225).

And people were able to do it with a locked bootloader -- but you have to do everything just right. In my case, first time I flashed from Moto Maxx image to Moto Turbo image, I messed up. I was looking at the example picture more than reading the instructions. But, since I had an unlocked bootloader, so what? Just did it again the correct way, the second time. ;)

In the case of Moto Maxx brick people trying to flash to Moto Turbo, those people had to wait until Lollipop was released for their phones then try to re-flash an image made for their phones -- and HOPE it worked. ;)
    For everyone with relocked by different reasons bootloaders which looks like 70.86(*) in my case and here https://plus.google.com/11473794480...6266357835653511202&oid=114737944807074302746
    I have got this status of bootloader after using Turbo Unbrick tool

1) Download the most latest firmware for your device
    2) Extract gpt.bin
    3) Flash gpt.bin
    4) Reboot bootloader/phone (Bootloader looks without (*) now. 70.8A in case of use this 5.1 firmware for XT1254 + on Mega)
    5) Flash full firmware by RSD/recovery