FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Soak test with unlocked bootloader

100 posts
Thanks Meter: 25

By Summersett, Senior Member on 18th January 2015, 09:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I received an email about participating in a soak test for "an early preview of a new Moto App software release." (Not Lollipop, an app). However, my bootloader is unlocked and phone rooted. Is this going to be an issue in signing up to participate since Moto will be needing my IMEI/MEID/serial number to send me updates and "evaluate the software"?

My gut says to stay away, but I was also curious to know this answer in the event that I may be chosen in the future for a Lollipop soak test.

20th January 2015, 02:38 AM |#2  
Flag Mexico Culiacan
Thanks Meter: 820

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersett

I received an email about participating in a soak test for "an early preview of a new Moto App software release." (Not Lollipop, an app). However, my bootloader is unlocked and phone rooted. Is this going to be an issue in signing up to participate since Moto will be needing my IMEI/MEID/serial number to send me updates and "evaluate the software"?

My gut says to stay away, but I was also curious to know this answer in the event that I may be chosen in the future for a Lollipop soak test.

if its just an app, you can test it, unlocked bootloader dont affect at all, but root does.
worst case you just unroot to test it
if its an OTA or lollipop you´ll not be able to install it.
20th January 2015, 04:00 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersett

maybe it is about the new Moto 2.2.8 app here - http://android.hdblog.it/2015/01/19/...-proprietarie/
20th January 2015, 05:08 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaocagomez

if its just an app, you can test it, unlocked bootloader dont affect at all, but root does.
worst case you just unroot to test it
if its an OTA or lollipop you´ll not be able to install it.

Ah, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure how they would send the app to me, if it would have to be downloaded through the phone like an OTA or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijes

maybe it is about the new Moto 2.2.8 app here - http://android.hdblog.it/2015/01/19/...-proprietarie/

It's a feature for the Moto Gallery called Highlight Reel. Seemed basically like what Google does with Highlights.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)