[MOD] [FIX] Remove roaming on home network

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By kezmdor, Member on 19th September 2015, 11:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Disclaimer:
This fix is based on the work of wmn79, his thread concerning this issue can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...twork-t2969702
Backup your system!
This fix works for me and I share this with you. I am not responsible for any damage to your phone or any data loss you encounter.

Symptom:
When connecting to home mobile network you have to enable data roaming in order to get data working.

Cause:
Your mobile provider is using different MNC numbers which are not recognized by Android as a non roaming network.

Fix:
According to wmn79's thread we can fix this by modding the framework-res.apk of Android. He mentions in his thread to push the modified apk with custom recovery update.zip. As I want to stay on stock rom this is no solution for me and fortunately there is a way without custom recovery.
  • Root your phone. I am on stock 090915 (OTA) and it came pre-rooted. All I need to do was installing SuperSU from Playstore.
  • Copy framework-res.apk from /system/framework to your computer
  • Install apktool (http://ibotpeaches.github.io/Apktool/install/)
  • Install framework: "apktool if framework-res.apk"
  • Decompile framework-res.apk: "apktool d framework-res.apk"
  • Edit/Create Files in created framework-res folder (details below)
  • Compile framework-res.apk: "apktool b -c framework-res"
  • Copy the modded framework-res.apk (It is inside the framework-res/dist folder) to the Downloads folder of your phone. Do not copy it directly to the /system/framework folder!
  • Use your favorite file explorer (I use ES File Exporer), mount /system read/write and move the framework-res.apk from your Downloads folder to /system. Again, do not move it to /system/framework folder!
  • Inside the /system folder check and correct the permissions of the file, it should be rw-r--r-- and should belong to root:root.
  • Now you should move (do not use copy!) the file from the /system folder to /system/framework
  • Shortly after this is done on my phone several Google services and apps were killed, just for your information. They work again without problems after a reboot.
  • Reboot your phone
The process of moving the framework-res.apk to the /system/framework folder is for example in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjQcFpt39k

So you know how to install the mod, but what is it about? When you decompiled the framework-res.apk there is a folder named "res" inside of the folder "framework-res". In this folder you have to create a new one with the mnc and mcc numbers from your apn settings. I describe this on the example of O2 in Germany. O2 has mcc 262 and mnc is 07. The folder to create is "values-mcc262-mnc07" inside this folder create a file named "arrays.xml". Actually I just copied the hole thing from another folder and edited it to the following contents:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
    <string-array name="config_operatorConsideredNonRoaming">
        <item>26203</item>
    </string-array>
</resources>
The item consists of the mcc and mnc number of the network which can be used without roaming. In this example this is the former E-Plus network which is merged with the O2 network. E-Plus network has mcc 262 and mnc 03. I got the information regarding mcc and mnc numbers from this site: http://mcclist.com/mobile-network-co...ntry-codes.asp
There can be more than one item in the string-array list.

I have done this, tested it and for me it's working perfectly. You can find my framework-res.apk attached if you are on O2 as well. If you are on a different network and got stuck on my explanation just give me the mcc and mnc numbers and I provide you with a framework-res.apk. As the framework-res.apk is tight to the ROM this will only work if you are on stock 090915.

Caution:
Using a framework-res.apk which is not for your ROM can end in a bootloop!

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: zip P8000_stock090915_framework-res.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.64 MB, 246 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kezmdor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kezmdor Ad-Free
20th September 2015, 04:34 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I follow this fix and i have no more "R" on both sim "Virgin" and "Free" FR.
20th September 2015, 05:54 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Dorsten
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonero

I follow this fix and i have no more "R" on both sim "Virgin" and "Free" FR.

I am happy I could help and appreciate the feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to kezmdor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kezmdor Ad-Free
31st December 2015, 02:37 AM |#4  
Flag Hinterholz 8
Thanks Meter: 5,769

More
Lightbulb
Solution for Eragon-ROM users with carrier HoT (Austria) can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3438

The attached .zip contains all the changes that I performed to the framework-res.apk inside the res-folder, so If you use a different ROM and/or a different ROM version, you might just patch YOUR framework-res with the same files.

By the way, I also had to wipe cache/dalvik in recovery before the changes were detected by the ROM.

2nd April 2016, 08:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is it possible to do this for P9000?
3rd April 2016, 07:46 AM |#6  
Flag münster
Thanks Meter: 14,795

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhris

Is it possible to do this for P9000?

yes it is
btw
. in 3 weeks i will have also a p9000
so developing will be ........
The Following User Says Thank You to skeleton1911 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skeleton1911 Ad-Free
5th April 2016, 09:07 PM |#7  
Flag Ipswich
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton1911

. in 3 weeks i will have also a p9000
so developing will be ........

looking forward to getting my 9000 light as well.
15th April 2016, 09:57 PM |#8  

More
thanks
18th September 2016, 10:19 PM |#9  

More
Thanks very much - worked very fine for me with Telering.

folder "res/values-mcc232-mnc7"

arrays.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
<string-array name="config_operatorConsideredNonRoaming">
<item>23203</item>
<item>23204</item>
<item>23205</item>
<item>23207</item>
<item>23210</item>
<item>23214</item>
<item>23216</item>