FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel][Stock & CM][Stable] guestekrnl (based on visi0nary) | v2.4.1 | [06/2016]

2,368 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,769

By Stefan Gündhör, Senior Member on 7th January 2016, 01:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
gueste kernel v2.4.1
handcrafted in Austria, compatible with stock-based ROMs like Eragon and BlueFlame4's CyanogenMod
*CyanogenMod ROM compatibility requires guestekrnl v2.2.0 or newer

- If you like my work, you could press thx or vote positively for this thread.

Howdy

In an attempt to continue improving the kernel of BlueFlame4 (as he is was switching to a different phone) I hereby offer guestekrnl.

The usual disclaimer applies:
Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
 */

guestekrnl continues seamlessly where visi0nary's kernel left off (v1.6.1), which is why the initial version of guestekrnl is v1.6.2 (or v1.6.1, if you count my re-build)

The main goals for this kernel are improvements:
  1. maximizing (ui) smoothness / snappiness
  2. keeping power consumption as low as possible, while still feeling smooth
  3. keeping linux-base up-to-date
Apart from these improvements, I would consider the kernel quite feature-complete, so you should not expect countless new features.
Please remember: After you have flashed the kernel in Recovery, perform the following steps:
go to menu "Wipe and Format Options"
perform "Wipe Dalvik/ART Cache"
perform "Wipe Cache"

Please do not report any problems or bugs, if you did not perform these steps along with the installation of the new kernel.
Version Log:
  • v2.4.1
  • v2.4
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.101 to 3.10.102 ("Linux kernel 3.10.102 LTS is a pretty big maintenance update that changes a total of 153 files, with 1,194 insertions and 608 deletions.")
    • cherry-picked new camera driver from visi0nary upstream ( thanks to @BlueFlame4 and @walter79 ) to support new P8000 models
    • cherry-picked a read/write persmissions change for doubleTap2Wake from visi0nary upstream ( thanks to @BlueFlame4 )
  • v2.3.3
    • switched toolchain in hope of improved power consumption
    • deactivated to old battery drop shift fix (the one that didn't fix the drop, but shifted it upwards) - also in hope of improved power consumption
    • one cherry-pick from visi0nary upstream
    • this is supposed to be the last release for a longer period of time, because there's not much to improve currently - I sincerely hope this release will work well for everyone
  • v2.3.2
    • finally working battery drop fix by @BlueFlame4 (confirmed working by community). the battery drop might still occur, if you rebooted between charging cycles, but if you use the phone starting with a full battery until it's empty, you should no longer experience a noticeable drop.
    • re-enabled the old battery drop fix as well (which shifted the drop from 15->0% to 35->20%. So if a drop occurs after a reboot (as mentioned above), it should happen somewhere above 20% battery and not drop directly to 0%.
    • double-tap 2 wake is still enabled, so if you are on Cyanogenmod and use a build without dt2w, you can just flash this kernel and it will work again
  • v2.2.1
    • this is not the experimental 2.2.1-SNAPSHOT-kernel some of you tested. This is the final 2.2.1 kernel.
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.100 to 3.10.101 - Changelog
    • use updated sabermod toolchain (aarch64-linux-gnu-5.3-03-06-16)
    • provide 2 flavors: with or without experimental battery fix (if the battery fix of v2.2.0 does not work for you, or you still get a drop and would prefer the drop to happen at the end of a charging cycle (like on stock kernel), you can just flash the version without the experimental fix)
  • v2.2.0
  • v2.1.0
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.98 to 3.10.99 - Changelog
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.97 to 3.10.98 - Changelog
    • switched to a different toolchain (latest sabermod gcc 5.3)
  • v2.0.5
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.96 to 3.10.97 (2016-02-19) - this includes the following commits:
    • furthermore, the IPv6 config has been changed, which might or might not improve IPv6 router connectivity for some users.
  • v2.0.4
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.95 to 3.10.96 (2016-01-29) - this includes the following commits:
  • v2.0.3
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.94 to 3.10.95 (2016-01-23) - this includes the following commits:
    • yes, this includes the fix for keychain vulnerability CVE-2016-0728
  • v2.0.2
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.90 to 3.10.94 (12/2015) - this includes dozens of improvements over the old linux base
    • switched to toolchain "ubertc" gcc 4.9 (01/2016)
  • v2.0.1
    • fix stability issues (this release is a replacement for v2.0.0): Mediatek seems to have compatibility/stability issues with additionally introduced CPU governors and I/O schedulers, which is why in 2.0.1 I use the same built-in governor and scheduler I used for stable v1.6.1 (rebuild)
    • wake-up delay gone (also thanks to using the same governor as in v1.6.1)
    • I'm sorry if you experienced any stability issues with v1.6.2 and v2.0.0 - they seem to be caused by the governors/schedulers and should be gone now
    • I'll remove the download for v2.0.0 in favor of v2.0.1 which should now be stable.
  • v2.0.0
    • first major release of guestekrnl with over 900 commits ahead of the source of visi0nary's kernel
    • upgraded linux base from 3.10.65 to 3.10.90 (LTS) - this includes hundreds of improvements over the old linux base
    • switch from sio I/O scheduler to deadline
    • update/modify intelliactive CPU governor & switch from wheatley governor to intelliactive
    • introduce and enable power efficient work queues
    • reduced log spamming
    • various performance improvements and hopefully power-saving mechanisms
    • pocketmod is now disabled, as it breaks doubletap2wake (same as in visi0nary's kernel). Enabling pocketmod through vTool won't do anything
    • introduce and enable UKSM (Ultra-KSM) along with KSM (Kernel same-page merging)
    • various arm64 improvements
    • various defconfig changes
    • updated build flags
    • introduce BFQ-v7r8 I/O scheduler (though currently not set as default in favor of deadline)
    • all the other changes are listed here https://github.com/gueste/android_ke...commits/master
    • everyone is adviced to upgrade to guestekrnl v2.0.0 and to report on the usage experience - thank you!
  • v1.6.2
    • introduce SIO IO scheduler & use as default IO scheduler
    • introduce wheatley CPU governor & use as default CPU governor
    • also introduce intelliactive governor, but not used as a default, because it didn't convince me during my everyday-use tests
    • use custom/enhanced kernel compilation flags
    • minor changes in kernel defconfig
    • built with a freshly built sabermod toolchain, using custom compilation flags
  • v1.6.1
    • the kernel from my separate thread "visi0nary's kernel alternative build"

Kernel Tool:
For tweaking a couple of kernel parameters, you can use the same "vTool", you have been using for visi0nary's kernel. In case you haven't got this tool yet, you can find it here.

exFAT Support:
If you want to use an exFAT formatted external SD card, then you can enable exFAT support as posted by @dr_root : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=77

Installation:
Just flash in recovery - wipe cache & dalvik cache afterwards (before initially booting the system with the new kernel)

Tip:
  • Double-tap 2 wake is set to only work in the middle of the screen, so remember to tap in the middle
  • If your phone after longer periods of sleep doesn't react to "double-tap to wake", try "triple-tap to wake"
Further tips & kernel source: see second and third posting!
I'd be delighted to get your usage feedbacks! This kernel should always be stable and is intended for daily usage.
Credits:
The credits of the original visi0nary's kernel remain intact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antutu_v2.0.0.png
Views:	3408
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	3602895  
Attached Files
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v1.6.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.65 MB, 194 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.0.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.71 MB, 594 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.0.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.67 MB, 346 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.0.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.67 MB, 344 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.0.4.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.67 MB, 504 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.0.5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.67 MB, 568 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.1.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.65 MB, 430 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.2.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.65 MB, 512 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.2.1_experimentalBatFix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.65 MB, 556 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.2.1_noBatFix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.65 MB, 588 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.3.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.65 MB, 858 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.3.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.79 MB, 1230 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.4.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.79 MB, 420 views)
File Type: zip guestekrnl_v2.4.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.79 MB, 3880 views)
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Gündhör For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stefan Gündhör Ad-Free
7th January 2016, 01:42 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hinterholz 8

More
For those that have double-tap2wake enabled
... and have issues with the screen during phone calls (for example: screen is black, but buttons can still be pressed):

You can either turn off dt2w completely using vTool, or use the attached re-build of the blackscreen-fixer that most of you will know from Eragon ROM.

The attached re-build has been made 1 day ago, as the original app did not support guestekrnl v2.0.1

If you have this app already (the older version), replace it with this version. - On latest Eragon you will have this version automatically.

So, beginning with 2.0.1 and upwards, use the attached version of the app, or the latest Eragon ROM.
You have to start the app at least once and grant it superuser-rights. Then it should work on phone calls automatically.

Note: the re-build of this app has the same filename as the original one, but it is a modified version that supports my latest kernel builds.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Gündhör For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stefan Gündhör Ad-Free
7th January 2016, 06:14 AM |#4  
Flag münster
Thanks Meter: 14,785

Donate to Me
More
2nd reserved for future things
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skeleton1911 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skeleton1911 Ad-Free
7th January 2016, 02:22 PM |#5  
Flag Rivoli
Thanks Meter: 70

More
with kernel adiutor in governor cpu it shows intelliactive, it is better than wheatley governor?
7th January 2016, 03:54 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hinterholz 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtechno98

with kernel adiutor in governor cpu it shows intelliactive, it is better than wheatley governor?

In my opinion there is no "best" governor. The results may vary from device to device (and also usage). For the P8000 I tested both and wheatley felt smoother to me. Smartmax also felt very smooth, but it currently does not work properly (causes reboots), which is a hint that it isn't ported correctly and is why I disabled it for the moment and didn't mention it in OP.
Edit: In v2.0.0 intelliactive feels best to me (it is now preset)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Gündhör For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stefan Gündhör Ad-Free
7th January 2016, 09:43 PM |#7  
Flag Rivoli
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Gündhör

In my opinion there is no "best" governor. The results may vary from device to device (and also usage). For the P8000 I tested both and wheatley felt smoother to me. Smartmax also felt very smooth, but it currently does not work properly (causes reboots), which is a hint that it isn't ported correctly and is why I disabled it for the moment and didn't mention it in OP.

thanks, for now your kernel working well.
7th January 2016, 09:54 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hinterholz 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtechno98

thanks, for now your kernel working well.

Thanks, more changes are coming soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Gündhör For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stefan Gündhör Ad-Free
7th January 2016, 10:58 PM |#9  
Flag Kocani
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Gündhör

Thanks, more changes are coming soon.

Can you tell us what kind of changes? And what about when the phone battery goes to 15% it suddenly drops? Im using your kernel(6.1) and it rocks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to boka18 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift boka18 Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 01:53 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hinterholz 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boka18

Can you tell us what kind of changes? And what about when the phone battery goes to 15% it suddenly drops? Im using your kernel(6.1) and it rocks!!

Well, the next version I'm working on, is already 944 commits ahead of the latest visi0nary's kernel.
Each commit contains one or multiple changes in one or multiple files.
Most of those commits are updates of the linux base (which of course I just had to merge into the kernel and not to code myself) - there are also a couple of useful new features that will hopefully help saving power and improve performance.
I've still a couple things to merge/cherry-pick, then we will see.

Edit: concerning battery you will have to test, if you have this problem with the upcoming version(s) too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Gündhör For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stefan Gündhör Ad-Free
8th January 2016, 08:47 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Got stuck in bootloop, was on eragon 7.3 with visionary 1.6.1, I installed 1.6.2 kernel, cleared cache and davik, android apps updated and then phone rebooted and stuck on dragon logo. Now trying nexus lite rom
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)