WARNING:RECENT APPS MENU WILL STOP WORKING
All credits to Web1n on Github for figuring out this method.
Here is official guide in chinese
App download on Google Play
(Note that this method needs to be repeated every restart)
- Install the custom launcher of your choice and ensure it is the only launcher installed other than Huawei home
- Install and setup adb on your computer
- Enable developer options on your phone
- Turn on adb debugging and adb in charge only mode
- Make sure your device is on usb charge only mode
- Install the app from link above
(note i am using a Samsung for screenshots as I don't want to mess up my main Huawei, but I got it working there through the same steps)
After installing app tap the right arrow until this page, tick the box to agree to TOS
Tick second box
Tap right and you will be greeted with this home screen, tap the plus arrow
Tap second tab to look for system apps, find the app huawei home
Return to this screen, you will see the Huawei home icon, ensure it is greyed out, tap it if it is not so.
Done! Gesture navigation will no longer work but an app like fluid gestures work well enough, enable 3 button navigation in options and tap home to enjoy your new launcher. Your multotasking button has also just become useless...
Again, all credits goes to the developer