[Kernel] TRIM: Speeding up the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch d710

Search This thread

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
Brickbug Aftermath: Speeding up the Galaxy S2 i9100, S2 AT&T i777, S2 Epic 4G Touch d710 and Note n7000

UPDATE: CM 12.1 kernels are now available!!! (for CM 12.1-supported platforms only: i9100 and i777.) new kernels are rom-independent: they are no longer tailored to specific official CM builds (they might work with other roms too) and their names no longer reference a specific CM build.

UPDATE: this project now supports all roms and kernels!
if you are not running CyanogenMod M snapshots, please see this post.

this project restores TRIM capability to CyanogenMod kernels for the Galaxy S2 family of 4210-based devices: i9100, i777, d710 and n7000. TRIM is needed to avoid "aging" of the state of the eMMC, the internal flash storage, that eventually slows the device to a crawl. TRIM functionality is built into android 4.3 and later. however, due to historical and safety concerns, TRIM capability was removed from the CM kernels for these devices (and from most if not all other AOSP-based kernels).

STOP!!! DRAGONS AHEAD!!!

in theory there could be risk of hard-bricking your device forever.

1) READ THIS POST IN FULL.
2) answer this poll (view results).
3) discuss your d710 experience below in this thread.

Downloads

for the supported devices, you will find IsoRec-compatible CyanogenMod-based kernels here. (old kernels without IsoRec support can be found here. yet older retired kernels without FPBug fix are still available here.) note that for some supported devices, no releases or M snapshots are currently being produced. for those devices i can produce kernels based on known 'stable' nightlies if users ask.

XDA:DevDB Information
BrickbugAftermath-d710, Kernel for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Contributors
Lanchon
Source Code: https://github.com/Lanchon/BrickbugAftermath-SGS2

Kernel Special Features: CyanogenMod kernel with TRIM support

Version Information

Created 2014-09-13
Last Updated 2016-01-12

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
PLEASE READ: yes, i'm aware that currently there are no kernels for the d710 in this project! this is because the CyanogenMod project has not produced release or M snapshots builds for this device yet. but i am all set to release as soon as they release.

let's hope they release an M10. if not, you guys choose a more or less stable nightly, and i will produce a kernel for it.

Reactions: Mavrikmeercat

kvevand63

Nov 28, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Lachon... Flashed your kernel to latest CM11 d710 nightly. Booted with no drama, everything working fine. Trim feature does work, used Android Tuner's FS Trim feature. Thank you for the great job on the kernel!!

Reactions: Lanchon

ttakacs

Mar 16, 2008
I installed the Sept. 15 CM11 nightly and Lanchon's kernel for it. My phone booted and runs fine.

To confirm: I do NOT need to install and run LagFix? The Play store says that it is not compatible with my device. I could sideload it but won't bother if it is not necessary.

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
I installed the Sept. 15 CM11 nightly and Lanchon's kernel for it. My phone booted and runs fine.

To confirm: I do NOT need to install and run LagFix? The Play store says that it is not compatible with my device. I could sideload it but won't bother if it is not necessary.

android should trim within 1 or 2 days (but not the system partition). the OP calls for you to download the app and check that trim is working. until you trim you wont profit.

ttakacs

Mar 16, 2008
I am on Mokee 9/26 release for d710 Sprint.
Antutu score prior to flashing the Trim kernel: 16027
Antutu score after flashing the Trim kernel and running lagfix and rebooting: 15082
Antutu score after reflashing the Mokee ROM: 14614
Antutu score 24 hours after reflashing the Mokee ROM: 16034

Last edited:

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
I am on Mokee 9/26 release for d710 Sprint.
Antutu score prior to flashing the Trim kernel: 16027
Antutu score after flashing the Trim kernel and running lagfix and rebooting: 15082
Antutu score after reflashing the Mokee ROM: 14614

hmm... those antutu benchmarks dont seem very repeatable. probably no change for you. some emmcs show no change. they are probably ignoring the trim commands.

in any case, its not indicative of anything. CM is a safe rom. it does not do crazy things like removing fsyncs. so it can be noticiably slower. you didnt benchmark cm before trim, so you have no reference. you cant compare apples to oranges.

Last edited:

ttakacs

Mar 16, 2008
hmm... those antutu benchmarks dont seem very repeatable. probably no change for you. some emmcs show no change. they are probably ignoring the trim commands.

in any case, its not indicative of anything. CM is a safe rom. it does not do crazy things like removing fsyncs. so it can be noticiably slower. you didnt benchmark cm before trim, so you have no reference. you cant compare apples to oranges.

I was on CM11 nightly with the Trim kernel but never ran Antutu. After flashing the 9/26 Mokee release, I decided to test Mokee with and without the Trim kernel. These are the results.

The results may be different with CM11; next time I flash CM11 I'll run the same test and report the results.

Reactions: Lanchon

bigmike6200

Mar 19, 2013
Vallejo
I flashed this and it kept giving me the "systemui.com has stopped". I had to reboot and restore my nand. Anything I need to do or flash prior. I am D710, Liquid Smooth 9-30 build using ART. Kernel-cm-11-20140915-NIGHTLY-Lanchon-TRIM-20140916-d710.zip is what I have downloaded.

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
I flashed this and it kept giving me the "systemui.com has stopped". I had to reboot and restore my nand. Anything I need to do or flash prior. I am D710, Liquid Smooth 9-30 build using ART. Kernel-cm-11-20140915-NIGHTLY-Lanchon-TRIM-20140916-d710.zip is what I have downloaded.

you rom is unsupported of course.

you can try: flash kernel, reboot recovery, mount file systems, adb shell, manually fstrim as per OP instructions, restore KERENL ONLY (full nandroid restore kills the trimming with all the writing to eMMC), reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Brickbug Aftermath: Speeding up the Galaxy S2 i9100, S2 AT&T i777, S2 Epic 4G Touch d710 and Note n7000

UPDATE: CM 12.1 kernels are now available!!! (for CM 12.1-supported platforms only: i9100 and i777.) new kernels are rom-independent: they are no longer tailored to specific official CM builds (they might work with other roms too) and their names no longer reference a specific CM build.

UPDATE: this project now supports all roms and kernels!
    if you are not running CyanogenMod M snapshots, please see this post.

this project restores TRIM capability to CyanogenMod kernels for the Galaxy S2 family of 4210-based devices: i9100, i777, d710 and n7000. TRIM is needed to avoid "aging" of the state of the eMMC, the internal flash storage, that eventually slows the device to a crawl. TRIM functionality is built into android 4.3 and later. however, due to historical and safety concerns, TRIM capability was removed from the CM kernels for these devices (and from most if not all other AOSP-based kernels).

STOP!!! DRAGONS AHEAD!!!

in theory there could be risk of hard-bricking your device forever.

1) READ THIS POST IN FULL.
    2) answer this poll (view results).
    3) discuss your d710 experience below in this thread.

Downloads

for the supported devices, you will find IsoRec-compatible CyanogenMod-based kernels here. (old kernels without IsoRec support can be found here. yet older retired kernels without FPBug fix are still available here.) note that for some supported devices, no releases or M snapshots are currently being produced. for those devices i can produce kernels based on known 'stable' nightlies if users ask.

XDA:DevDB Information
    BrickbugAftermath-d710, Kernel for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Contributors
    Lanchon
    Source Code: https://github.com/Lanchon/BrickbugAftermath-SGS2

Kernel Special Features: CyanogenMod kernel with TRIM support

Version Information

Created 2014-09-13
    Last Updated 2016-01-12
    d710 PIT Files

these are 1 GB /system, 4, 6 or 8 GB /data, 8 MB /preload (minimal /preload) PIT files for the d710 based on stock PIT linked above.

also includes heimdall scripts to download and flash the PITs.
    UPDATE: the d710 did not get CM11 M11, so i'm releasing a kernel for the latest nightly instead:
    cm-11-20141007-NIGHTLY-d710

enjoy!
    I am asking kjricker to explain how he will partition his phone using your PIT file.

I would be delighted if you would post the instructions on how to do it, but I didn't want to bother you.

it's very simple. backup your phone. then get these files:

-latest cm-11 nightly
    -my latest cm-11 trim kernel (recommended)
    -gapps (i recommend PA GAPPS NANO)

go to recovery, mount USB, copy the files.
    eject media from PC, unmount USB.
    wipe data (factory reset).
    format /system.
    flash cm-11, then my kernel, then gapps.

test that phone works ok. then...

-grab my pit files from here.
    -install heimdall
    -from recovery select advanced/reboot to bootloader
    -run my repartition script (its linux, but you can run the same command in windows, just remove "sudo". you may need to run it from an administrator console).

the script will tell you the next steps. basically boot into recovery and format /system /cache /data and /storage/sdcard0, then load and flash the 3 files again. optionally, adb shell to run fstrim -v on /system /cache and /data (note: partitions must be mounted to run fstrim).

thats all!
    UPDATE: new kernel for the latest nightly:

cm-11-20150323-NIGHTLY-d710

enjoy!