Porting LineageOS 14 to the d710

Search This thread

RipCityBassWorks

May 23, 2016
Portland
Big Update

I have successfully booted the official RR 7.1.2 ROM for the i9100 onto the D710 and fixed / found a way around 2 of the issues along the way:
1. RR supports software keys, so just enable those and disable the hardware ones
2. I was able to fix TWRP not recognizing an external SD card by flashing a lanchon repit file for the i9100 (I know, risky right :cool: )

Unfortunately, wifi still isn't functional, but it is probably a really easy fix if we could recruit GreakDragon or someone to help us :)

The process I used was very time intensive and not for the faint of heart. I faced lots of dead links and broken files along the way (but I will mirror everything I used when I get a chance). For now here is the process:

1. Use odin to flash rooted stock Gingerbread (EL29)
2. Install mobile odin and grant root access
3. Using mobile odin, flash CWM (version EL26)
4. Reboot to recovery - wipe data
5. Flash Slim-d710-4.3.build.beta.1-UNOFFICIAL-20130820-0826 (I couldn't find a functioning copy of CM10.2, but this works)
6. Reboot to recovery - wipe data
7. Flash vanir_d710_4.4.4.102714 (this ROM is kinda buggy, but I couldn't get Villuminati or CM11 to boot)
8. Flash open gapps ARM - 4.4.4 - Nano
9. Flash SuperSU V1.93 (stock super user has compatibility issues with flashify)
10. Flash a file manager (ROM doesn't include one :( )
11. Reboot to system
12. install flashify 1.8.3
13. Use flashify to flash kernel-Lanchon-TRIM-IsoRec-20160112-cm-11-d710.zip
14. reboot to system
15. use flashify to flash official twrp-3.1.0-0-i9100.img for the i9100
16. reboot to recovery - wipe data
16. flash lanchon-twrp-patcher-20160417-crossflash-d710.zip
17. flash lanchon-repit-20160415-system=1.0-data=same-sdcard=max+wipe+ext4-preload=min+wipe-d710.zip
18. You should see an error message on console - go back multiple directories and find a temp folder, flash the zip inside it
19. Repit should be successful and external SD card should now be available
20. Wipe data
21. flash RR for i9100 and ARM 7.1 nano gapps
22. reboot to system and profit!

Last edited:

RipCityBassWorks

May 23, 2016
Portland
I got the alpha version of Linage 15.0 Oreo to boot: It is glitchy as all hell and wifi still doesn't work, but it does boot and doesn't require any extra steps to install. Attached are quick pics I snapped.

Attachments

• IMG_20171121_121631.jpg
    IMG_20171121_121631.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20171121_135526.jpg
    IMG_20171121_135526.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 112

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I got the alpha version of Linage 15.0 Oreo to boot: It is glitchy as all hell and wifi still doesn't work, but it does boot and doesn't require any extra steps to install. Attached are quick pics I snapped.
Are you using an ICS modem? The JB modem has issues with custom ROMs.

DO NOT CONTACT ME VIA PM TO RECEIVE HELP, YOU WILL BE IGNORED. KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

RipCityBassWorks

May 23, 2016
Portland
Are you using an ICS modem? The JB modem has issues with custom ROMs.

DO NOT CONTACT ME VIA PM TO RECEIVE HELP, YOU WILL BE IGNORED. KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

Nope. Gingerbread modem EL29 right now. I am going to try ICS modem to see if it is any better. Someone mentioned bcmhd.ko file for wifi Mac address issues, I am back on 4.4.4 trying to find wifi related files to possibly move over.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Nope. Gingerbread modem EL29 right now. I am going to try ICS modem to see if it is any better. Someone mentioned bcmhd.ko file for wifi Mac address issues, I am back on 4.4.4 trying to find wifi related files to possibly move over.
ICS modem is recommended when using ROMs.

RipCityBassWorks

May 23, 2016
Portland
No difference on the ICS FL24 Modem, wifi is still just stuck on "Turning Wi-Fi on..." with no networks showing up. My guess is that this is just a driver/Kernel issue with the I9100 software not being compatible with the D710 wifi chip. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to port over the proper drivers, so I am going to (probably fruitlessly) attempt to replace wifi related system files in Nougat with those in the stable kitkat.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
No difference on the ICS FL24 Modem, wifi is still just stuck on "Turning Wi-Fi on..." with no networks showing up. My guess is that this is just a driver/Kernel issue with the I9100 software not being compatible with the D710 wifi chip. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to port over the proper drivers, so I am going to (probably fruitlessly) attempt to replace wifi related system files in Nougat with those in the stable kitkat.
The WiFi related system files probably need to be switched over also but as you said, it's almost certain to be a kernel issue. There are other models that are identical in hardware to the d710, if any of them have nougat you can try their kernel.

Reactions: RipCityBassWorks

RipCityBassWorks

May 23, 2016
Portland
  1. Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 for the i777 will not boot - gets stuck on an encryption failed screen. I tried all of the standard fixes :(
  2. I successfully booted unofficial CM 13.0 for the i777. Wifi does not work. The hardware buttons kinda work but are mismatched and glitchy. This ROM seems overall less stable than 14.1 for the i9100, I'm getting a lot of lag and random glitches.
  3. N700 ROMs will not get past the startup screen: it just distorts and freezes.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to get wifi working is to patch the Lineage i9100 kernel for D710 compatibility.

Also potentially a possibility? The MAC address is at the generic 02:00:00:00:00:00. The IMEI number is "unavailable" which leads me to the possibility that when flashing i9100 ROMs this information is lost or unable to be read due to device mismatch or something. I might do some more digging around 4.4.4 and try either porting files over or modifying the build prop for the 7.1.2 ROM.

Last edited:

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
  1. Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 for the i777 will not boot - gets stuck on an encryption failed screen. I tried all of the standard fixes :(
  2. I successfully booted unofficial CM 13.0 for the i777. Wifi does not work. The hardware buttons kinda work but are mismatched and glitchy. This ROM seems overall less stable than 14.1 for the i9100, I'm getting a lot of lag and random glitches.
  3. N700 ROMs will not get past the startup screen: it just distorts and freezes.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to get wifi working is to patch the Lineage i9100 kernel for D710 compatibility.

Also potentially a possibility? The MAC address is at the generic 02:00:00:00:00:00. The IMEI number is "unavailable" which leads me to the possibility that when flashing i9100 ROMs this information is lost or unable to be read due to device mismatch or something. I might do some more digging around 4.4.4 and try either porting files over or modifying the build prop for the 7.1.2 ROM.
Have you tried flashing a true working d710 ROM, then creating a nvdata backup using terminal emulator, then flashing a i9100 ROM then restoring the nvdata backup in terminal to see if it fixes the radio? Be careful though, messing with radio can go very bad.

RipCityBassWorks

May 23, 2016
Portland
Have you tried flashing a true working d710 ROM, then creating a nvdata backup using terminal emulator, then flashing a i9100 ROM then restoring the nvdata backup in terminal to see if it fixes the radio? Be careful though, messing with radio can go very bad.

I have never tried anything like that before, I will attempt it though if I can figure out how xD

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
I have never tried anything like that before, I will attempt it though if I can figure out how xD
Here is a guide I wrote for the straight talk version of S3, check post #2, it has the steps for doing nvdata backup/restore.

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3351290

Note, this only works on devices that have a Qualcomm modem, doesn't work on Exynos modems. I can't remember if d710 has Qualcomm or Exynos.

svaethier

Oct 7, 2015
well i finally got this to work and got RR on my phone, I will see if I can find someone in a discord I am in that may know how to solve the wifi issue.

svaethier

Oct 7, 2015
hardware keys is an easy fix if you know how to add in a line in the build.prop file to display virtual keys, just an fyi

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
HTC Thunderbolt
Still no wifi after the nv_data backup and restore. It is a Exynos modem, but I thought it was worth a try anyway.
The way WiFi is handled changed in Nougat. I don't know exactly what changed or how to adapt the Wi-Fi part of radio in Nougat because I don't know where/what is completely involved in Wifi on D710.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I am not a ROM developer. I am a developer and Linux user, but I know next to nothing about creating Android ROMs. Whole other world to me.

I'm wondering if all three of us Epic 4G Touch users left might be able to get a working port of LineageOS 14 on our aging handsets.

The good news:

I just loaded the Official LineageOS 14 for i9100 20170419 nightly on my d710, and IT WORKS

...almost.

The bad news:

The ROM boots up, everything works and looks normal except for:

1. Wi-Fi - Settings app spins with message "Turning Wi-Fi on..."
    2. Menu Button
    3. Home Button

Now, I'm wondering if there is a way to fix these problems. I prefer on-screen navigation anyway, so that's probably an easy "fix." But Wi-Fi will probably be trickier. I assume it's kernel related, but I can't find any Nougat kernels for this device, so that will likely be the most difficult part.

Thoughts? Anyone else out there have any input or want to give this a crack?

Links:

Update

I have decided to resume this project:
    • I got an almost free desktop and monitor off CL, I just had to buy RAM and a keyboard, so I now have a dedicated GNU/Linux machine. With pretty good specs also: 8gb RAM, i7 vPro, and a much better HDD than I was using previously.
    • Lineage 15.1 is now (mostly) stable for the i9100, I am going to attempt to use that as a base
    • I probably should have done this from the beginning, but I'm going to attempt to take logs from the D710 to see if its possible to just modify the i9100 device tree without doing a full port

I can get a twrp with a different rom then cm11 but that twrp doesnt have the img installation feature on it

If you have root in CM11, you can use Flashify to flash the new TWRP .img file.

My E4GT still works, more than glad to throw my hand in the pot to make something happen. Haven't used the S2 in years so it's not updated, currently running an old build of CWM and a CM11 nightly with iso-rec support. If you could bring me up to speed on what I need to get from where I am to a newer recovery(TWRP preferred) and your ROM I'll start playing around with it. Last time I searched all of this to update left me more confused than anything with it being mixed up with the i9100 and i777 information as well.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk