FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 for the Essential PH-1 (mata)

1,576 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,728

Post Reply Email Thread
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Unofficial LineageOS Builds
Essential PH-1 (mata): https://updater.invisiblek.org/mata

Google apps
Google apps (opengapps nano) are baked in to these builds. This is due to the A/B partition layout and complications backing up/restoring gapps between builds. This is not ideal, and is the major road block to getting this device in to official status with Lineage. At this time I do not plan to release non-gapps builds. Users who require this will have to build their own.

Source
Device | Kernel
In addition the two main repos above, there are several others that are required to build this. Here are some notes that can be used to build this yourself.

Prerequisites
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • NMJ32F firmware
  • Fastboot and ADB set up (use your google-fu to figure this out)

Installation
This device is different than what most people are familiar with due to the A/B partition layout. If you're familiar with Pixel devices, then you already know what this means. This thread isn't really designed to explain how it all works, that should be handled somewhere else. Instead, I'll assume you can either follow directions or do some research on your own. Additionally I have a discord set up where there are several people who may be able to help if you run in to a snag.

The initial install should go rather smooth, and future updates can be taken through the built-in Lineage updater app (yes, the are the seamless updates you may have heard about). Due to A/B, the recovery's ramdisk is actually on the boot.img partition (the rom's ramdisk is on the system partition now). What this means is once you flash the rom, it essentially (lol) replaces the TWRP that you have installed. This shouldn't be a problem since with the seamless updates, you shouldn't have to ever go into recovery. If you find yourself needing recovery, you'll have to re-flash TWRP to get there.

Phew, now some instructions.
  • See the prerequisites. You really do need these or things aren't going to work for you.
  • Boot into bootloader mode and wipe data with:
    Code:
    fastboot -w
  • Download twrp (mirror) and flash it with this command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot twrp-mata_6.img
    (no, this isn't a typo, you are flashing twrp to the boot partition)
  • While still in bootloader mode, use vol down to select "Recovery mode" and hit the power button. This should boot you in to TWRP. Enter your previous lock screen password or pin (if it asks) to decrypt your data partition.
  • Push the zip to your device with:
    Code:
    adb push <zip name here> /sdcard/
  • Select install from the TWRP menu, choose the zip, install it, reboot
  • Profit!

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 for the Essential PH-1 (mata), ROM for the Essential Phone

Contributors
invisiblek
Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: NMJ32F

Version Information

Created 2017-11-12
Last Updated 2017-11-11
The Following 64 Users Say Thank You to invisiblek For This Useful Post: [ View ]

12th November 2017, 03:39 AM |#2  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to invisiblek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
TheF|ipSide
12th November 2017, 03:42 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
"Why no work" bug reports incoming in 5,4,3,2,1....
EDIT: @invisiblek if you need this post for anything, let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
12th November 2017, 03:56 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
THANK YOU!! So glad to see this. Just ordered the essential yesterday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noremacam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Noremacam Ad-Free
12th November 2017, 04:13 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Any known bugs? How is performance compared to stock? Thanks for this!
12th November 2017, 04:27 AM |#6  
Flag Calgary, Alberta
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Install it and find out. It's a testing build.
12th November 2017, 05:59 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Awesome! Mine will be here soon.. glad to see development!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
12th November 2017, 07:19 AM |#8  
Flag Knoxville, TN
Thanks Meter: 80

More
First time with an A/B device, so everytime you update with a new build to the updater site it will prompt us and begin updating in the background? Don't have to be specific with the process itself but I was just curious as I'd like to stay up to date as possible if I start the custom ROM endeavor since it's still early on in development. Thanks!
12th November 2017, 08:26 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
installing now.. OP the link to twrp is broken
12th November 2017, 08:29 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Thanks OP!
Got it up and running, seems pretty solid for the first build. The initial setup wizard hung at the last step for me but after a reboot it worked.

Oh, and the night mode works great!

^TWRP link worked for me about 30 mins ago

Update: I have installed most all of my apps and have been playing around setting up the phone for the last ~30mins....no stutters, no mistouches, everything is working great. LTE+ on VZW works, as well as Verizon messaging app. The phone apk has the option for vvm, haven't tested. Overall I can't believe how well this runs...ROM development has come a long way from the initial releases I'm used to on non nexus devices.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainElwood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CaptainElwood Ad-Free
12th November 2017, 08:57 AM |#11  
Flag medina
Thanks Meter: 0

More
360 Camera doesn't work.....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)