Android P public beta coming to Essential PH-1 today!

Search This thread

ilpolpi65

Aug 30, 2012
Monza
Google Pixel 4
Nothing Phone 1
Screenshot_20180526-080402.png

RoccoN4

anybody else having issues with adaptive brightness? doesn't matter what I do after some time it goes below values of 20% and lower until I manually raise it. Maybe it still needs to learn my habits - and maybe I have to go outside more often :)
cheers
Same here. Always put up to the max then eventually goes back to 15-20%. Very aggressive.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

dmeeks72

Feb 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I decided to take the plunge and install the Android P Developer Preview.

My very initial thoughts:

I installed the OTA Version. There were no issues and the process went smooth.
The launcher I have on my phone is ADW. It seems to be working good. No errors or anything abnormal. Other than the notification bar, my screen looks just at it did with Oreo8.1.
I'm on Sprint so my carrier is showing as Chameleon. (Known Issue)
Like a lot of people, I have reception issues. No matter what I did or what setting I would use my signal would bounce around. In my house, it would cycle through LTE to 3G to 1X to no data even the phone was in a stationary place. In P, I set it to LTE/CDMA and my signal seems to be stable. Thus far, it has stayed on LTE and the dbm's have stayed within a few points. For reference, I use LTE discovery and keep the DBM overlay on my screen.
Pebble Watch connected and everything works from what I can see.
I can receive incoming calls.
WI-FI Hotspot not working (Known Issue)

Overall a good experience thus far and I can see myself using it as a Daily Driver.

Reactions: DROIDESP

crixley

May 25, 2012
I'm so used to the gestures now that I don't think I could go back to be honest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a new P beta rolling out now.
    https://twitter.com/essential/status/1000079691443716096
    Includes fixes for: Cellular Connectivity, Dark Mode, and Bluetooth Fixes.
    Let us know your thoughts on it.

So far:

-Notch settings have been removed, so no more immersive mode as of now
    -Things are very very smooth, no glitchy animations or anything
    -Have not run into any app issues in the few I've run
    -Gestures are, ummm, strange? Going to take some getting used to for sure. in a way it is a whole new paradigm. After so many years using android, it feels really weird. I don't really like that if you try to swipe up your app drawer though the "current apps" view pops up behind it. Doesn't looks great and seems like a poor ui choice. I'm sure this will change though

Altogether, so far so good honestly. Seems like daily driver material for my usage
    Battery life is amazing so far.
    Let me know how rooting goes, assuming that's what you're doing
    Yeah that's why I was looking. Rooting went perfect. Install Android p > boot and get set up > install TWRP > install stock boot.img in TWRP > install magisk while in TWRP > reboot > remove penis from ceiling fan > rejoice
    Not to be Debbie Downer, but with the company going up on the auction block, I don't see why they would continue to develop for a phone that has no future. They cancelled the PH-2 and I would assume they will be busy restructuring the company, consolidating to make margins and things look better for a sale, focusing on things to help the sale...

Until it's official from Andy/Essential this is a rumor.

From Andy:
    "We always have multiple products in development at the same time and we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits. We are putting all of our efforts towards our future, game-changing products, which include mobile and home products."