Essential up for sale, next phone cancelled

Search This thread

arbrouwer

Jul 11, 2010
We'll...

Like the stages of grief, I was initially frustrated and upset. After thinking about it for about 3 minutes, just about every possession I own is for sale, for the right price. Go get it Andy!

stinger4321

May 2, 2009
this was a response from Essential that Android Police received

An official Essential spokesperson responded to our request for comment. Here's what we got:

"We always have multiple products in development at the same time and we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits. We are putting all of our efforts towards our future, game-changing products, which include mobile and home products."

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

stinger4321

May 2, 2009
Damm! I've been so looking forward to the new phone! I'm sure it would have been a much bigger success.

(another article about it, based on Bloomberg report https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/24/...ncels-phone-development-considers-sale-report )

So do I buy another backup one :confused: as there really doesn't seem to be an alternative.
yeah.. all the phone needs is oled screen and it would be perfect.. though the lcd is very good

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DROIDESP

Thomas Cloutier

Dec 18, 2016
Do you think we'll still get continued support for the PH-1, as getting the security updates quick, and getting updated to the official release of android p?

Reactions: n2locarz

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I would not count on continued support for very long. You can’t hardly get decent long term support from phone companies that stay in business...

Reactions: crixley

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
Sad day really. Especially the cancellation of the phone. I really believed the second one was going to get it right. I only had two problems with the phone: Low light performance of the cameras and poor signal strength (mostly indoors)

I don't think it would have been hard to improve in those areas for their next phone. He is giving up to easy.

P.S. won't be buying their other products if this is how it's going to go.

Maybe we need a petition started to give him more confidence.

oldman_58

Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Florida
It is sad, the Essential Phone had such promise. But sometimes in business "Promises" won't pay the staff or the bills. I was looking forward to PH-2, but now I am, I can't believe I am saying this, looking at the iPhone X.
I have use Android phones ,Nexis< from the beginning. Nexus left us in favor of the extremely expensive and hamstrung Pixel, I was really hoping Essential would fill that void, the one thing is the universe is constant "Apple" seems to always keep thing consistent.

Damn I need to call my therapist, its just a fuc____g phone...

imascuculator

Nov 29, 2014
It is sad, the Essential Phone had such promise. But sometimes in business "Promises" won't pay the staff or the bills. I was looking forward to PH-2, but now I am, I can't believe I am saying this, looking at the iPhone X.

I have use Android phones ,Nexis< from the beginning. Nexus left us in favor of the extremely expensive and hamstrung Pixel, I was really hoping Essential would fill that void, the one thing is the universe is constant "Apple" seems to always keep thing consistent.

Damn I need to call my therapist, its just a fuc____g phone...

I have the Essential and iPhone X. When it comes to size I constantly confuse the two of them. The Essential phone was the first Android device that felt like Apple quality to me. Can’t go wrong with either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goducks3620

Aug 17, 2009
Miami
Bummed on this one for sure. I've been impressed enough with this phone and especially the support to have considered replacing my wife's aging Nexus 5X with the second generation one (assuming the camera was better than the ph-1).

this feels exactly like what happened to me when Google sold Motorola soon after I bought my 2013 Moto X, which is still my all time fav phone. Google was supporting it (we got KitKat FAST) and then BAM the support was yanked out when the company got sold. I was starting to like this phone almost as much.

tech_head

Rumors.
From Andy:
"We always have multiple products in development at the same time and we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits. We are putting all of our efforts towards our future, game-changing products, which include mobile and home products."

Where does that say the company is closing or that PH-2 is dead?
The article is from a confidential source.

crixley

May 25, 2012
Rumors.
From Andy:

Where does that say the company is closing or that PH-2 is dead?
The article is from a confidential source.

Cmon dude he posted it as a response to the articles

"we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits."

I think that is pretty clear, unless you're being intentionally obtuse.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol we'll see ;)

It's as clear as can be unless you don't want it to be

He's totally referring to cancelling another product. That's much more likely and realistic.

The following statement was to a question of whether the PH-2 was cancelled or not.

We can debate semantics all day long. You say I don't read enough into it.
    I don't read anything into it.
    I work in Silicon Valley and we cancel projects all the time if they don't look like they will hit the correct market window or they will be the wrong product with the wrong features. We go back to the drawing board all the time.
    I'm not saying, that's what they did. I don't know.

That is exactly why I don't read any more or any less into what he said.
    He didn't say anything specific.

They never announced a PH-2.
    They never showed a prototype of a PH-2.
    They never promised a PH-2.
    Never released a feature set for a PH-2.
    They may have cancelled a project. They may have cancelled 15 for all I know.
    Everything is based on speculation that since there was a PH-1, there would be a PH-2.

I don't know anything, that's all I'm saying.
    They haven't said anything. that means anything.

What we have is a news story from Bloomberg that is now more than a day old with nothing to actually back it up.
    The story is being carried by the SJ Mercury, Tech Crunch, Android Police and others, but Bloomberg is the source.
    Until it's substantiated, it's just conjecture and a rumor.
    Maybe I'm crazy but the camera was never that bad for me. And oh the horror, install another camera app worst case. And I never had any signal issues. I hate that the critics skewered this device so mercilessly. Scamsung can release phones that explode and have an unusable fingerprint sensor and all is well. An upstart comes along and the critics go nuts about the unusable camera. Avoid at all costs etc. Granted, Essential should have had a smoother product ready for release but the updates have been fast and furious including another camera update today. Great job by critics and sheeple likely killing a really nice alternative. This phone running 8.1 is by far my favorite all time. I went in with the mindset that the company was new and there may be some growing pains. Wait in line for your Scamsung or Crapple and kill off any viable competitors. Ugghhh.
    Hahaha dude we get it, you work in the Valley... :confused: wtf, put away your tape measure. The location of your company does not make you an expert. Many of us work in the Valley or for companies based in ncal.

No, but the argument that he laid out does make a lot of sense. Especially the part where they never announced a PH-2, never teased it, never gave specs or a rendering, never promised it, etc... Nothing.

It was all just an assumption on our parts, and the mobile community, that there would be a follow up phone. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't.

I dunno, I read the articles and there does seem to be a lot of reading between the lines, which may or may not be the right approach... I assumed they were going under, but maybe they aren't... I guess time will tell.

The first phone was a flop sales wise, no matter how you slice it. Yes, it has some nice features and construction, but if we all put aside the "MY TEAM" attitude where we have to defend our chosen phone brand like it was our little sister's virtue, I think we can agree that their first attempt at a phone had more form than function. Reception issues, the camera is on par with what was mainstream 3+ years ago... it took them the better part of a year to get it "decent"... Their line of PH-1 accessories, never materialized...

It doesn't mean that the phone is crap or that it wasn't a valiant first effort... But they lost money on this phone, clearly. They wanted to charge a premium price but the phone didn't have the chops to support that so they cut the price almost in half and it still wasn't a hit. We can debate all the reasons why... carriers never embraced it, limited to select markets, etc... Shoddy camera was a factor... It's all water under the bridge, the end result was that it was a failure. They sold in a year what Samsung sells in less than a week. It is what it is...

I would love to see a PH-2. Have them learn from their mistakes, switch to AMOLED, fix the signal strength issues and get a real camera and camera software in there and they will have a great phone, rather than a great phone(for the money).

Even today, the price is $500 and that puts you within striking distance of the OP6 which is a FAR superior phone.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Hahaha dude we get it, you work in the Valley... :confused: wtf, put away your tape measure. The location of your company does not make you an expert. Many of us work in the Valley or for companies based in ncal.

Also, nice avatar... That a 999R Xerox? I had the 999S Parts Unlimited edition, the one that Bostrom and Hodges hand-signed the tail... Just sold my Monster 1200S and picked up a new Panigale 959.
    As long as we keep getting updates I decided I'm keeping this phone. I love it and really the change in processors and speed these days isn't like it was when I first started using Android. Even a two year old flagship is plenty fast. This phone does everything I need. Would I like a better camera? Sure. Would I like an amoled screen? Totally. But that extra cash will go towards much better, more important things rather than give up a phone I love for a potential slightly better phone. Even if this phone stops getting updates at Android P official, I see no issue keeping it for at least another year.
    Just chill guys...breaking news from Essential Twitter [emoji106]. Screenshot_20180525-223409.jpeg

Odesláno z mého G8441 pomocí Tapatalk