Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[GUIDE] Rooting your Essential PH-1

1,413 posts
Thanks Meter: 619

By bmg1001, Senior Member on 8th November 2017, 06:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
WARNING: Before attempting to root your device, do note that by unlocking your bootloader and modifying your device with root, ROMs, etc... you are risking voiding your warranty! I am NOT responsible for what you do to your device either, so follow these instructions at your own risk. Make sure you know what you're doing, it's best to understand the process rather than just copy and paste commands and such.

General Information related to development on the Essential PH-1 can be found here.

In the case that you mess something up on your device, you may find it helpful to revert back to stock with the unofficial factory images graciously provided by @invisiblek over here. If you would like to accept OTA updates after flashing Magisk, you should probably uninstall Magisk from within the Magisk Manager first, and then flash your device back to stock.

UNTESTED ROOT METHOD FOR OREO IN "OLD METHOD"
Rooting Oreo is kind of a mess right now, different people are having different issues. If you run into any, please check the last few posts of the thread to see the discussion.

NEW METHOD

If for some reason you run into any issues, such as touch not working in TWRP, try the old method.

REQUIREMENTS:
An unlocked bootloader.
A working ADB/Fastboot environment on your computer. Knowledge on how ADB and Fastboot works is also preferred.
TWRP (choose the correct one for your build)
Magisk or SuperSU (SuperSU is untested by me)

1. Transfer the Magisk or SuperSU flashable zip to your device.

2. Reboot your phone into the bootloader, then open up your command prompt or terminal and flash the correct TWRP build for your device via:

Code:
fastboot flash boot twrp.img
3. Once TWRP has finished flashing, reboot into your recovery. When prompted, enter your pattern/passcode/password to decrypt your data in order to gain access to your internal storage.

4. Once you're in TWRP, you can simply flash Magisk or SuperSU by selecting it from the "Install" menu.

5. Whenever Magisk/SuperSU finishes installing, simply reboot your device! You should now be rooted.

OLD METHOD:
REQUIREMENTS:

An unlocked bootloader.
A computer with a working ADB/Fastboot environment (and preferable knowledge on how they work.)
Magisk v14.3
TWRP -- (MIRROR) // (NOTE: This build of TWRP is currently in alpha stages and does not support touch, bootctrl, and encryption.)

Some people are having issues with TWRP and Oreo, with several errors coming up at launch. If you encounter these errors, you can still root Oreo but you will likely have to wipe your data beforehand with "fastboot -w"

You will also need the appropriate modified boot image for your current build.
Oreo Beta 1 (OPM1.170911.130)
NMJ32F
NMJ20D

(Mirrors provided by @Kisakuku)

With all that being said, let's get on to rooting the device!

1. Reboot your Essential Phone into fastboot mode. Once you're in fastboot mode, flash TWRP via
Code:
fastboot flash boot twrp.img
2. From within the fastboot menu, select and boot into "recovery mode." Once TWRP has booted up, type in
Code:
adb shell twrp sideload
and then type in
Code:
adb sideload magisk.zip
3. Once Magisk finishes installing completely, reboot back to fastboot. You can do this via
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
4. NOTE: If you're running NMJ32F and are using the latest TWRP build (twrp-mata_6_NMJ32F) then you can probably skip step #4. Whenever you're back in fastboot mode, grab the provided modified boot.img (make sure you selected the right one) and flash it via
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
5. Now reboot! You should now have root via Magisk!

As new updates come and go, I will try my best to keep this thread updated with new, updated boot images for future builds, at least until a better method of achieving root via Magisk is possible. There are other ways of achieving root on this device, but I believe this is the simplest and easiest method for most people.
The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to bmg1001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bmg1001 Ad-Free

8th November 2017, 07:27 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
RESERVED
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmg1001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bmg1001 Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 08:24 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4,549

More
AFH mirrors for images:
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kisakuku For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kisakuku Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 01:45 PM |#4  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 1,544

More
Thanks for getting the latest boot image up so quickly.
8th November 2017, 02:29 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thanks for the detailed guide, it worked great!

Any idea how to install xposed sdk 25? I tried the adb sideload function and the Magsik Module but both failed. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to prozo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift prozo Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 03:06 PM |#6  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 97

More
how to install the NMJ32F ota update when you are already rooted on NMJ20D?
Tried adb sideload but cannot install obviously because boot-loader is unlocked and is rooted.
8th November 2017, 03:43 PM |#7  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 1,544

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgopala

how to install the NMJ32F ota update when you are already rooted on NMJ20D?
Tried adb sideload but cannot install obviously because boot-loader is unlocked and is rooted.

You need to flash the system and boot images from Invisiblek's stock ROM dump. You'll then be unrooted and will be able to accept the update.
8th November 2017, 04:45 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Factory reset no longer required if your bootloader is already unlocked? Does TWRP read encypted storage now? Or is that still a problem?
8th November 2017, 04:53 PM |#9  
Flag Cortland NY
Thanks Meter: 594

More
@bmg1001 , good looks, here are more free XDA points to trade in for that pool table, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to aer0zer0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aer0zer0 Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 05:12 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1984

Factory reset no longer required if your bootloader is already unlocked? Does TWRP read encypted storage now? Or is that still a problem?

As far as I know, TWRP still doesn't have decryption fully working just yet, but installing Magisk works fine without any factory resets.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmg1001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bmg1001 Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 05:16 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozo

Thanks for the detailed guide, it worked great!

Any idea how to install xposed sdk 25? I tried the adb sideload function and the Magsik Module but both failed. Any ideas?

Xposed works fine for me. Make sure you installed the correct Xposed Installer/Manager apk linked in the thread for the Xposed Module. Also, it may take a reboot or two for Xposed to fully activate.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
essential, magisk, mata, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)