FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Misconfigured google groups => major personal data leak

23 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

Post Reply Email Thread
Essential screwed up big time. First they sent me request for additional data. I told them to screw themselves and cancel my order.

https://twitter.com/Bogorad/status/902704991839719426

Then I started to get lots of mails from other customers, most with their personal data:

https://twitter.com/Bogorad/status/902706162092597248

And it's going strong!

going strong!
The Following User Says Thank You to bogorad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bogorad Ad-Free

30th August 2017, 03:14 AM |#2  
San Jose
Thanks Meter: 388

Donate to Me
More
Ya, NO one.. I mean NO ONE respond with any personal data. Dont even respond. I've started sharing this and telling people dont.
This is a phishing scam.
30th August 2017, 03:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Verified...
I also got a email. Asking for your passport is totally a false flag.

Essential screwed up. I created an email for this purchase yesterday, and that was the one abused. So Essential, you were accessed in the last 24 hours.

Glad I took my precautions.
30th August 2017, 04:16 PM |#4  
San Jose
Thanks Meter: 388

Donate to Me
More
You could have at least blurred out the email, phone number and other personal information before posting this out. Good job, you just aided in spreading personal information to others.
The Following User Says Thank You to tlxxxsracer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tlxxxsracer Ad-Free
30th August 2017, 08:03 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
It's been reported every where someone got into the essential email servers and started sending out these emails requesting bogus information. Probably some pissed off Samsung fan boy haha.
30th August 2017, 08:45 PM |#6  
Flag Grand Rapids
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagglepuff

It's been reported every where someone got into the essential email servers and started sending out these emails requesting bogus information. Probably some pissed off Samsung fan boy haha.

sources?
31st August 2017, 12:31 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa2jm

sources?

Android Central, a couple times it has come up one my Google now feed as a top story for me. Essential has tweeted they are aware and looking into it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)