[APP] Snapdragon Audio+ for 8.1 Beta 1

Does this work for you on 8.1 Beta 1 on PH-1?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

sabrefresco

Jan 2, 2015
/etc/hosts
UPDATE: MISSING/INCOMPATIBLE LIBRARIES DEEM THE APK MENTIONED BELOW USELESS (AS OF 02/16/2018). ALL FILES WERE PULLED FROM THE FASTBOOT IMAGES HERE (LABELLED AS FULL DUMPS BACK TO STOCK). APKS FROM 8.0B3 AND 8.1B1 AND THEIR LIBRARIES FROM /VENDOR/LIB/SOUNDFX ARE ATTACHED IF ANYONE WANTS TO PICK THIS UP.

Seems like it was removed in 8.1. This is the apk that was pulled from the 8.0B3. Untested and for mata only for the time being.

8.0B3 MusicFX.apk hashes:​
  • MD5: 5C070B09BA76A1595E3C95D500E26BA3
  • SHA-256: DC39794D01BD8D454053D2522B8CD826EC9FF4FBDBBAF2AA0B961C876C7B68B6

Attachments

• libraries.7z
    441.9 KB · Views: 2,112
Last edited:

Charkatak

Aug 11, 2012
WA
Would be interesting to know if Essential pulled it to make some changes to it, then repack when public build or another beta is released.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

I have it installed how do i test it.?

Get a music player of your choice that has access to an EQ and you should see snapdragon audio EQ. Some 3rd party music players may have a setting in them, named such as "use system EQ" that is the one you need.

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
I just tested it as a normal install. It works, but not 100%. Audio quality is noticeably different than the generic EQ. But when you try to adjust bass boost or surround sound, it tells you to plug headphones in. I'm guessing it needs to be updated to be fully functional.

Nov 12, 2009
I just tested it as a normal install. It works, but not 100%. Audio quality is noticeably different than the generic EQ. But when you try to adjust bass boost or surround sound, it tells you to plug headphones in. I'm guessing it needs to be updated to be fully functional.

I'm pretty sure that everyone is totally missing the boat on this Snapdragon Audio+.

The key feature of Snapdragon Audio is a pseudo-high-quality DAC to improve audio quality. Essential phones do not use this hardware. Our phones have no analog audio output. Even the bundled 3.5mm adapter includes its own DAC.

Thus, Snapdragon Audio+ acts only as an EQ with some DSP effects. You can get the same result with a myriad of apps on the Play Store.

sabrefresco

Jan 2, 2015
/etc/hosts
I have it installed how do i test it.?

Doesn't work because of some incompatible/missing libraries unfortunately.

Would be interesting to know if Essential pulled it to make some changes to it, then repack when public build or another beta is released.

Could be some restriction they ran into when switching from pass-through HALs to binderized HALs. The apk from beta 3 depends on external libraries from API 23 whereas the newer apk from 8.1 depends on libraries from API 27 exclusively, so they seem to be in the process of moving forward, and hopefully we'll see it in their future builds.

I don't have the time or resources to make this work, so I am abandoning this. I'll post the 8.1 apk and libraries from both 8.0 and 8.1 if anyone wants to work on it in the meanwhile.

Nexnps

Dec 11, 2019
Snapdragon Audio+ replaced by MusicFX OP 6T Oxygen OS Beta 30 w/ Android 10

I tried installing the Snapdragon Audio+ apk on android 10 update but it didn't install probably because MusicFX prevents it from being installed.

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
I tried installing the Snapdragon Audio+ apk on android 10 update but it didn't install probably because MusicFX prevents it from being installed.

I haven't used the stock EQ on the Essential for quite some time, but it should already be there. When you launch an EQ menu from another app (such as Google Play Music, YouTube Music, etc.), it should launch the built-in EQ app in Android. Essential has used Snapdragon Audio+ since the beginning. However, when Android 8 released during the betas, Snapdragon Audio+ wasn't there. That's why this was created and it never worked anyway. Essential eventually put Snapdragon Audio+ back into Android 8 and it's been there with Android 9 too. It should be there in Android 10 as well, but I've been using Viper4Android instead. Previously, I was using JamesDSP, but it doesn't work with Android 10. And frankly, Snapdragon Audio+ doesn't sound all that great compared to either Viper4Android or JamesDSP anyway.

Reactions: Arturoboy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: MISSING/INCOMPATIBLE LIBRARIES DEEM THE APK MENTIONED BELOW USELESS (AS OF 02/16/2018). ALL FILES WERE PULLED FROM THE FASTBOOT IMAGES HERE (LABELLED AS FULL DUMPS BACK TO STOCK). APKS FROM 8.0B3 AND 8.1B1 AND THEIR LIBRARIES FROM /VENDOR/LIB/SOUNDFX ARE ATTACHED IF ANYONE WANTS TO PICK THIS UP.

Seems like it was removed in 8.1. This is the apk that was pulled from the 8.0B3. Untested and for mata only for the time being.

8.0B3 MusicFX.apk hashes:​
    • MD5: 5C070B09BA76A1595E3C95D500E26BA3
    • SHA-256: DC39794D01BD8D454053D2522B8CD826EC9FF4FBDBBAF2AA0B961C876C7B68B6

I haven't used the stock EQ on the Essential for quite some time, but it should already be there. When you launch an EQ menu from another app (such as Google Play Music, YouTube Music, etc.), it should launch the built-in EQ app in Android. Essential has used Snapdragon Audio+ since the beginning. However, when Android 8 released during the betas, Snapdragon Audio+ wasn't there. That's why this was created and it never worked anyway. Essential eventually put Snapdragon Audio+ back into Android 8 and it's been there with Android 9 too. It should be there in Android 10 as well, but I've been using Viper4Android instead. Previously, I was using JamesDSP, but it doesn't work with Android 10. And frankly, Snapdragon Audio+ doesn't sound all that great compared to either Viper4Android or JamesDSP anyway.