FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] CM11 for Find7s: Nightly discussion

2,138 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,820

By tdm, Recognized Developer on 16th July 2014, 05:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
About CyanogenMod

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android which is designed to increase security, performance, reliability and customization over stock Android.

About nightly builds

Nightly builds are automatically compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. These builds are not officially supported. If you find bugs or issues please discuss here. Do not submit bug reports for nightly builds on the CyanogenMod issue tracker.

How to install

Preparation

Ensure you have a working copy of ADB for your PC. A simple search should find versions for all major operating systems.

If you are running "stock" (ColorOS), the first thing you will need is a recovery. There are many recoveries available. The most popular ones are CWM and TWRP. Please consult other threads to find and install a suitable recovery.

Once you have a suitable recovery, download from download.cyanogenmod.org to your PC.

If you wish to have Google applications available such as the Play Store, download a current copy of gapps. CM recommended gapps are shown at wiki.cyanogenmod.org.

Reboot your phone into recovery.

Installation

If you wish to save any of your current data, back it up. Details vary by recovery. The app "Titanium Backup" is also popular to backup and restore your installed apps.

Wipe your internal data. Again, details vary by recovery. The option is usually called "wipe data / factory reset" or something similar. This is absolutely critical and required if you are coming from a stock ROM or a different third party ROM. Note! If you are coming from a previous nightly build of CM11, you can often get away with keeping your data. But if you encounter any issues, please wipe data and retry.

Find an option in your recovery that looks like "Install from sideload" or Install from ADB" and select it. On your PC, run "adb sideload cm-11-yyyymmdd-NIGHTLY-find7.zip". ADB should show a progress indicator. When the file has completed uploading, it should install. Repeat with your gapps package if desired.

Reboot your phone. The first boot after install can take a few minutes (usually no more than 5 minutes) so be patient.

Enjoy!

tdm
Systems Engineer
Cyanogen, Inc.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tdm For This Useful Post: [ View ]

16th July 2014, 05:43 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

Donate to Me
More
Known Issues

* Find7s: Screen may not wake when phone is hot.

This is apparently an interaction between the thermal throttling code and the video/gpu driver. It has been reproduced and we are working on a fix.

* Find7s: Notification light sometimes misbehaves.

We are working on a fix.

* Find7a: Battery sometimes drains too quickly.

This issue is under investigation. We do not have a repro or a fix at this point.

* Find7a: Mic doesn't work while on speakerphone.

This issue is under investigation. We do not have a repro or a fix at this point.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tdm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 05:44 PM |#3  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 126

Donate to Me
More
Thanks mate.

Lets start with some bugs then.

1: Blackscreen due to what we think is thermal throttle. (not everyone has this bug)
2: LED not allways working.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrJiM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrJiM Ad-Free
16th July 2014, 06:43 PM |#4  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Pardon my ignorance but what is Find7s. Is that Find 7 plural as in Find 7(QHD) and Find 7a?
16th July 2014, 06:47 PM |#5  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 126

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrt

Pardon my ignorance but what is Find7s. Is that Find 7 plural as in Find 7(QHD) and Find 7a?

QHD
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJiM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrJiM Ad-Free
16th July 2014, 09:48 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 229

More
Has anyone noticed that with the 0716 update, xposed throws a systemui error and you cannot get to Modules (it restarts prior to showing Modules).
Tried uninstall xposed and all modules individually. Reinstall not fixing issue

Thanks for creating this Find 7 specific thread.
16th July 2014, 10:03 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The mic issue when on speakerphone also an issue on the Find 7. The other issues I notice is the notification volume like when I get sms text messages or hangout messages it pretty loud and I cant seem to adjust the volume on it. Its getting better with the nightlys though. Appreciate the hard work. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm

Known Issues

* Find7s: Screen may not wake when phone is hot.

This is apparently an interaction between the thermal throttling code and the video/gpu driver. It has been reproduced and we are working on a fix.

* Find7s: Notification light sometimes misbehaves.

We are working on a fix.

* Find7a: Battery sometimes drains too quickly.

* Find7a: Mic doesn't work while on speakerphone.

17th July 2014, 01:09 AM |#8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

Donate to Me
More
Working on the black screen issue today. I can repro it easily now using "stability test" but the phone needs to be pretty hot to trigger it. Usually about 38c battery temp. Don't know if others are seeing the same thing or if it happens at lower temps for some.

I've eliminated user space thermal engine as a cause. I deleted it and the problem still happens, and goes away after a couple minutes.

Ill be going over the kernel tomorrow.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tdm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th July 2014, 01:27 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
My temperatures were cooler, probably closer to 30c. Despite cooling down, the BSoD wouldn't go away and I could only access my screen following a boot.

We know the Gummy kernel works. Can we reverse engineer it to see what the fundamental differences are?

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th July 2014, 09:21 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Mic Problem in Speaker phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion23

The mic issue when on speakerphone also an issue on the Find 7. The other issues I notice is the notification volume like when I get sms text messages or hangout messages it pretty loud and I cant seem to adjust the volume on it. Its getting better with the nightlys though. Appreciate the hard work. =)

Could the mic issue when on speakerphone with 7s be please added in the known issue post.
18th July 2014, 03:13 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle

Donate to Me
More
So i spent the entire day yesterday trying to track down the black screen issue. I went through the DT, the kernel thermal driver, the userspace thermal engine, the thermal engine config, and everything else I can think of. Nothing is wrong with the CM kernel.

The current theory is that the stock/gummy kernels have more conservative GPU frequency/voltage settings that are preventing them from overheating. I will test that on Monday (I'm off work today). If this is the problem, we will need to solve it with the thermal engine config -- we will not degrade performance of the bacon and find7a for this issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)