Files needed for this process can be found here. Download these to your device prior to starting the guide. Also download "ES File Explorer" free from the Amazon Appstore, and ensure Root Explorer is enabled in the options.
Obtain root here.
Change over to SuperSU and install busybox following this guide.
Install all five APK files you download before starting this guide. Do not open them yet.
Run SystemAppMover and convert Google Account Manager, Google Playstore, Google Services Framework, and Google play services into system apps. (The key to this step is to make sure that the apps are in "\system\priv-app" directory. When I was using Titanium Backup, or "otherways" to convert them to system apps they were being moved to the "\system\app" directory. They MUST be in the "\system\priv-app" folder to function correctly)
Run ES File Explorer and navigate to the "\data\app" directory. Create 4 directories named
Select each folder, press more in the bottom right corner and choose properties. Click the change button next to permissions, uncheck all checkmarks and hit OK. Doing this will prevent any of these APK from updating.
Re-enable wifi, and enjoy.
The road to victory...
UPDATE #5: 5/22/2015 0035 CST: I was really trying to avoid this but I'm going to factory reset and start all over, no matter what I do now I just get force closes. From what I can tell in Logcat it looks like a problem with the download manager? If anyone has more insight into the logcat please PM me or post. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time needed to spend doing this.
UPDATE #4: 5/19/2015 0759 CST: Still more of the same force closing and sporadic unstable behavior. I've tried version of Play services from 6.5.99- current all with the same results. I've tried multiple versions of the play store as well all the way back into the 4.X.XX. The only thing that ever gets me close seems to be wiping the cache of play services and store. I usually can at least begin to download something before I force close. I've started removing other variables apps as well but nothing seems to help. This is all happening before services does its auto background update, so I dont think it's that problem. I've used 034 and 070 versions of services both having the same results. Will keep testing as time allows. I'm using an Amazon Fire HD 6. Two people have confirmed working on HD 7's, waiting on versions they have been successful with.
UPDATE #3: 5/17/2015 2214 CST: Still having issues with random force closes. When wiping the cache for the playstore and Google Services it seems that it will work for a short time, and then after closing will go right back to a force close. I'm going to try to upgrading services to a slightly newer build and freeze it from updates (although that has not yet caused the problem we seem to be facing). If this does not work I will try rolling the store version back and see if it can be frozen from updates. I'm at work now so hopefully I'll have a chance to do some testing early morning - tomorrow afternoon.
UPDATE #2: 5/17/2015 1624 CST: Problem seems to lie in Google Play Services Auto Updating. Use Version 6.5.99 provided by @powerpoint45 in his GAPPS tutorial. I first converted the new on to a user app, uninstalled it, reinstalled his 6.5.99 version converted it back to system app and changed permissions on the new install:
pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS
I will thoroughly test it this time, and if all is well I will condense and clean this guide up.
UPDATE #1: 5/17/2015 1525 CST: This worked 100% before I went to bed, I woke up and tried to launch playstore and it is sitting at a white screen. I think it has something to do with something updating I am working on fixing it now. I will post updates here, as I solve this.
Here we go, 100% Playstore functionality as far as I've tested so far.
Installed powerpoint45's second GAPPS package as outlined in his thread about installing GAPPS.
I'm no expert but I think the important step here is changing the permissions via ADB as described in his post.
Used Kingroot to root as outlined in the rooting instructions post.
Changed over to SuperSU following this guide.
After obtaining root I used an App called System App Converter (I'm sure there are many other ways to do this) and changed the following apps to system apps:
Google Play Store (com.android.vending)
Google Services Framework (com.google.android.gsf)
Google Play Services (com.android.google.gms)
Playstore seems to function just fine for me now! Yay!
Other possible variables to getting this to work:
I have the following 2 packages blocked via ADB (This will stop OTA)
Hope this keeps working and helps someone else get this working! Thanks to everyone who got us this far!