FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Working Playstore

57 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By AlbusAngelus, Member on 17th May 2015, 11:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Finally solved and working. I've tested almost all Google Apps and they work, including hangouts. The device used is a Amazon Fire HD 6.
Files needed for this process can be found here. Download these to your device prior to starting the guide. Also download "ES File Explorer" free from the Amazon Appstore, and ensure Root Explorer is enabled in the options.

Obtain root here.
Change over to SuperSU and install busybox following this guide.

Disconnect WiFi

Install all five APK files you download before starting this guide. Do not open them yet.

Run SystemAppMover and convert Google Account Manager, Google Playstore, Google Services Framework, and Google play services into system apps. (The key to this step is to make sure that the apps are in "\system\priv-app" directory. When I was using Titanium Backup, or "otherways" to convert them to system apps they were being moved to the "\system\app" directory. They MUST be in the "\system\priv-app" folder to function correctly)

Reboot

Run ES File Explorer and navigate to the "\data\app" directory. Create 4 directories named
com.android.vending-1.apk
com.android.vending-2.apk
com.google.android.gms-1.apk
com.google.android.gms-2.apk

Select each folder, press more in the bottom right corner and choose properties. Click the change button next to permissions, uncheck all checkmarks and hit OK. Doing this will prevent any of these APK from updating.

Re-enable wifi, and enjoy.

The road to victory...
FINAL UPDATE: Solved by moving the 4 google APK files from \system\app folder to the \system\priv-app folder. YUP, that simple. Installing as just as system app wasn't granting enough permissions I don't think. Will update and clean up guide, thanks again to everyone for help on this one!

UPDATE #5: 5/22/2015 0035 CST: I was really trying to avoid this but I'm going to factory reset and start all over, no matter what I do now I just get force closes. From what I can tell in Logcat it looks like a problem with the download manager? If anyone has more insight into the logcat please PM me or post. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time needed to spend doing this.

UPDATE #4: 5/19/2015 0759 CST: Still more of the same force closing and sporadic unstable behavior. I've tried version of Play services from 6.5.99- current all with the same results. I've tried multiple versions of the play store as well all the way back into the 4.X.XX. The only thing that ever gets me close seems to be wiping the cache of play services and store. I usually can at least begin to download something before I force close. I've started removing other variables apps as well but nothing seems to help. This is all happening before services does its auto background update, so I dont think it's that problem. I've used 034 and 070 versions of services both having the same results. Will keep testing as time allows. I'm using an Amazon Fire HD 6. Two people have confirmed working on HD 7's, waiting on versions they have been successful with.

UPDATE #3: 5/17/2015 2214 CST: Still having issues with random force closes. When wiping the cache for the playstore and Google Services it seems that it will work for a short time, and then after closing will go right back to a force close. I'm going to try to upgrading services to a slightly newer build and freeze it from updates (although that has not yet caused the problem we seem to be facing). If this does not work I will try rolling the store version back and see if it can be frozen from updates. I'm at work now so hopefully I'll have a chance to do some testing early morning - tomorrow afternoon.

UPDATE #2: 5/17/2015 1624 CST: Problem seems to lie in Google Play Services Auto Updating. Use Version 6.5.99 provided by @powerpoint45 in his GAPPS tutorial. I first converted the new on to a user app, uninstalled it, reinstalled his 6.5.99 version converted it back to system app and changed permissions on the new install:
Code:
pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS
These are the versions I am using and everything is working fine so far:

I will thoroughly test it this time, and if all is well I will condense and clean this guide up.

UPDATE #1: 5/17/2015 1525 CST: This worked 100% before I went to bed, I woke up and tried to launch playstore and it is sitting at a white screen. I think it has something to do with something updating I am working on fixing it now. I will post updates here, as I solve this.

Here we go, 100% Playstore functionality as far as I've tested so far.

Installed powerpoint45's second GAPPS package as outlined in his thread about installing GAPPS.
I'm no expert but I think the important step here is changing the permissions via ADB as described in his post.

Used Kingroot to root as outlined in the rooting instructions post.

Changed over to SuperSU following this guide.

After obtaining root I used an App called System App Converter (I'm sure there are many other ways to do this) and changed the following apps to system apps:

Google Play Store (com.android.vending)
Google Services Framework (com.google.android.gsf)
Google Play Services (com.android.google.gms)

Playstore seems to function just fine for me now! Yay!

Other possible variables to getting this to work:
I have the following 2 packages blocked via ADB (This will stop OTA)
com.amazon.otaverifier
com.amazon.dcp

Hope this keeps working and helps someone else get this working! Thanks to everyone who got us this far!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlbusAngelus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlbusAngelus Ad-Free

17th May 2015, 04:46 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Do uknow how to block the ad and **** that pop up when using this tablet out of the blue on the bottom or middle sometimes ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbusAngelus

Installed powerpoint45's second GAPPS package as outlined in his thread about installing GAPPS.
I'm no expert but I think the important step here is changing the permissions via ADB as described in his post.

After obtaining root I used an App called System App Converter (I'm sure there are many other ways to do this) and changed the following apps to system apps:

I have the following 2 packages blocked via ADB
com.amazon.otaverifier
com.amazon.dcp

Hope this keeps working and helps someone else get this working! Thanks to everyone who got us this far!

17th May 2015, 07:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
so i did this and set
to system apps rebooted on each one went to open playstore got white screen and loading circle nothing else.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

whats the command to do this via adb
com.amazon.otaverifier
com.amazon.dcp

Quote:

com.amazon.otaverifier
com.amazon.dcp

17th May 2015, 07:17 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks! I neglectecd to make play store a system app, that fixed my downloading errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1urpee

Do uknow how to block the ad and **** that pop up when using this tablet out of the blue on the bottom or middle sometimes ??

From adb:
Check devices:
adb devices

Go to shell
adb shell

Disable Ads:
pm block com.amazon.kindle.kso
17th May 2015, 08:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 336

More
Quote:

Yay, for sure! Thanks a lot. Could you please add how you blocked OTA updates after rooting? That would make your post the go-to one for getting this job done.

EDIT: Oh, now I see it down at the bottom! ok.
17th May 2015, 08:51 PM |#6  
Quote:

so i did this and set
to system apps rebooted on each one went to open playstore got white screen and loading circle nothing else.

Have you followed the installing GAPPS guide at the top of the post and used ADB to change the permissions as outlined by Powerpoint45? That I think is an important step in this process.

EDIT: Having same problem now, working on a solution, watch OP.
18th May 2015, 12:23 AM |#7  

More
One fix for white screen with Play Store
Quote:

so i did this and set

This happens also on 2013 Kindle Fire HD and other devices running Fire OS 4.x.x. We fixed it by downgrading Play Services and preventing it from updating. Here's the method we used.
- You need Busybox Pro. May want a terminal emulator
- This assumes com.google.android.gms-1.apk is in /data/app
1. Install Busybox Pro (needed for the chattr command)
2. Go to APKMirror site and download an older version of Google Play Services, but DON'T INSTALL IT YET.
I'm using v. 7.0.96". It's from March but current Play Store and all google apps work with it, and you can try a later version, uh, later.
For 2013 7" HD the apk is com.google.android.gms-7.0.96_(1785884-034)-7096034-minAPI9.apk. Note: The 3 numbers after the dash (1785884-nnn) matter. Read the info at APKmirror to choose the right one.
3. Turn off wifi
4. Uninstall the Play Services update (may need to use file explorer)
5. Install the older Play Services you got.
6. Make sure you have /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk, not gms-2
7. On terminal emulator or from a cmd window run:
Code:
adb shell
su
touch /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk
chattr +i /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk
The +i (immutable) prevents any changes. Use -i to reverse.
8. Turn on wifi and try play store. Reboot and recheck that it's okay.
If still problem with play store, get Play Store 5.4.1.0 from APKMirror and install. It will update to the current version (5.4.1.2) and then work.
18th May 2015, 01:08 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 980

More
Not working for me either ...

I've matched the google apk versions, converted to system with Titanium Backup, and still end up with the white screen. Youtube works, so the permissions are fine.

So far there only seems to be 1 person able to get Playstore to work (the original poster).
18th May 2015, 01:43 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoLooper

This happens also on 2013 Kindle Fire HD and other devices running Fire OS 4.x.x. We fixed it by downgrading Play Services and preventing it from updating.
EDIT 5/17/2015: I see OP has apparently resolved the problem, but maybe this can still help you or others.

- You need Busybox Pro. May want a terminal emulator
- This assumes com.google.android.gms-1.apk is in /data/app
1. Install Busybox Pro (needed for the chattr command)
2. Go to APKMirror site and download an older version of Google Play Services, but DON'T INSTALL IT YET.
I'm using v. 7.0.96". It's from March but current Play Store and all google apps work with it, and you can try a later version, uh, later.
For 2013 7" HD the apk is com.google.android.gms-7.0.96_(1785884-034)-7096034-minAPI9.apk. Note: The 3 numbers after the dash (034) matter. Read the info at APKmirror to choose the right one.
3. Turn off wifi
4. Uninstall the Play Services update (may need to use file explorer)
5. Install the older Play Services you got.
6. Make sure you have /data/app/com.google.android.gms-1.apk, not gms-2
7. On terminal emulator or from a cmd window run:
Code:
adb shell
su
The +i (immutable) prevents any changes. Use -i to reverse.
8. Turn on wifi and try play store. Reboot and recheck that it's okay.
If still problem with play store, get Play Store 5.4.1.0 from APKMirror and install. It will update to the current version and then work.

Well, I've temporarily resolved the problem, upon coming home from a run after everything working and in order, the play store started to force close everytime I tried to open it. Nothing had updated yet and I didn't do anything on the tablet so I'm assuming something happened in the background. I'm going to try your method or freezing the updates to services (although version numbers matched when I came back) and see what the result is. Also I'm going to try to roll back the playstore. So you know if it would be possible to freeze it as well? Upon clearing services catch the playstore then opened and shortly forced closed after. So what ever the issue is seems to have something to do with what's being written to the cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibikalka

Not working for me either ...

I've matched the google apk versions, converted to system with Titanium Backup, and still end up with the white screen. Youtube works, so the permissions are fine.

So far there only seems to be 1 person able to get Playstore to work (the original poster).

See above and watch the updates. It is still not working without issues. It seems to work for a while then it sits I come back and it's acting funny one way or another. I'm going to keep working on this.
18th May 2015, 02:40 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Well, I've temporarily resolved the problem, upon coming home from a run after everything working and in order, the play store started to force close everytime I tried to open it. Nothing had updated yet and I didn't do anything on the tablet so I'm assuming something happened in the background. I'm going to try your method or freezing the updates to services (although version numbers matched when I came back) and see what the result is. Also I'm going to try to roll back the playstore. So you know if it would be possible to freeze it as well? Upon clearing services catch the playstore then opened and shortly forced closed after. So what ever the issue is seems to have something to do with what's being written to the cache..

Sorry, I haven't tried freezing so can't say. Seems like that would disable it, and google could still install an update. Anyway, the commands were used throughout the KFSOWI community, and Play Store and all current versions of google apps--gmail, g+, hangouts--have been working fine for several weeks. As I remember, though, I had to open and close some a few times to get past an error saying something like "requires play services update." Anyway, worked a treat!

Caveats: Not sure I'm using same version of google services framework as you, if that would matter. (I'll check shortly.) Also be sure you get the right play services for your device based on those 3 numbers.

EDIT: My Google Services Framework=4.4.4, FWIW.
Couple other thoughts...Play Store rollback sounds like good plan. Maybe Services 6.5.99 just doesn't support current version(?) Also, if you really want to stay on services 6.5.99, you could turn off wifi, move everything back to data and run the following commands, which creates a fake update file and prevents access. (Need ROM toolbox pro)

adb shell
su
18th May 2015, 04:01 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoLooper

Sorry, I haven't tried freezing so can't say. Seems like that would disable it, and google could still install an update. Anyway, the commands were used throughout the KFSOWI community, and Play Store and all current versions of google apps--gmail, g+, hangouts--have been working fine for several weeks. As I remember, though, I had to open and close some a few times to get past an error saying something like "requires play services update." Anyway, worked a treat!

Caveats: Not sure I'm using same version of google services framework as you, if that would matter. (I'll check shortly.) Also be sure you get the right play services for your device based on those 3 numbers.

EDIT: Google Services Framework=4.4.4, FWIW.
Couple other thoughts...Play Store rollback sounds like good plan. Maybe Services 6.5.99 just doesn't support current version(?) Also, if you really want to stay on services 6.5.99, you could turn off wifi, move everything back to data and run the following commands, which creates a fake update file and prevents access. (Need ROM toolbox pro)

adb shell
su

Great thoughts exactly what I was thinking in your edit. The fact it's opening then just force closing is making me think that for some reason that version of services is not compatible with the newer version of the store. I Think what I will try to do is first use a newer version of services and freeze it to see if that resolves it If that doesn't work I'm going to try to roll back services and the store and freeze them both. Feel like it's something trivial at this point. Having the newer versions may help keep things compatible longer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amazon fire playstore, fire hd root, fire playstore, playstore working

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)