[ROOT] With Kingroot and Tools + Play Store + Launcher (Newbie Friendly)

Search This thread

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
This explains how to use the Fire HD tools (for Windows) to root and install Gapps and a custom launcher on the Fire HD 6 or 7.
Note: If your tablet has an SD card slot, it's a 2015 Fire. Don't use this guide. Go to the 2015 Fire forums.

TURN OFF WIFI NOW TO PREVENT AN UPGRADE!

BEFORE YOU START
  • Check out the Root Tut so you know about the alternative to this guide. Once you're rooted, this TWRP method lets you upgrade and install Gapps, Xposed and goodies @bibikalka provides all in one go. This is the only way to get rooted OS 5.1.2.1. If you're already rooted, use that tutorial to upgrade.

[*] Read about rooting and updates so you'll understand how it works when you get to the rooting step, and can decide now if you'd rather root OS 4 and upgrade in TWRP.

An update file can download while you're rooting. The Kingroot tool prevents it from installing as soon as you press Enter to tell the tool you're rooted. Then it looks for any downloaded file and if it finds one it tells you where it is and prompts you to delete.

OS 5.1.2: There are no commands to prevent an upgrade from installing before you're rooted. Amazon says that upgrades don't install while the device is being used, but be aware that there's some risk. To minimize the risk, be sure your OS is rootable and never leave the tablet idle while rooting. Just keep running Kingroot until root is successful and then press Enter to block installation of any download. (These instructions are in the tool.)
OS 4.5.3: There ARE commands to prevent an upgrade from installing on unrooted OS 4, which the Kingroot tool runs before you turn on wifi to root. This means you can sideload OS 4.5.3 and root without any risk of updating. You can then upgrade with root in TWRP, as explained in the root tut above.

FWIW, Kingroot once rebooted 5 times and told me "Root Failed" 3 times before finally succeeding. An update had downloaded to /cache, but the tool successfully blocked installation and found the file, which I deleted. So, although it's possible you could get upgraded, as long as you keep the tablet busy trying to root and then press Enter as soon as you're rooted, it's very unlikely.

HOW TO ROOT AND SET UP THE FIRE HD

1. Install ADB Drivers if you don't have them.
    Illustrated Guide: http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/genera...ivers-fire-t3189000/post62561840#post62561840
    Other Options: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63072252&postcount=2

[*] Look at OS and build date in Device Settings>Updates and determine if you need to install OS 5.1.2.
    • OS 5.1.2.1 (shows OS 5.1.2, Build Date: March 2016):
      Install OS 5.1.2. (5.1.2.1 can't be rooted.)
    • OS 5.1.2 (shows OS 5.1.2, Build Date: February 2016):
      Install 5.1.2 If tablet is the least bit unstable or if you just want a clean start.
    • OS 5.1.1 or earlier:
      Install OS 5.1.2. to upgrade.
    • OS LATER THAN 5.1.2.1:
      DO NOT install 5.1.2. Downgrades often brick tablets! I'll change this message after someone tests.

You may be able to safely downgrade to OS 4.5.3, root, and then upgrade in TWRP per bibikalka's root Tut, above. Before trying this, make sure the post says it's safe for the OS you're on.

[*] If you need OS 5.1.2, follow these instructions:
    TURN OFF WIFI BEFORE YOU START.

OS 4.5.5 and below, read this:
    You have 3 choices:
    A - Use the root tools to root now and block updates, then upgrade in TWRP (and flash Gapps, etc) per the root Tut
    B - ADB Sideload OS 5.1.2 (below)
    C - Upgrade From Device to Developers preview then upgrade again to OS 5.1.2.

To Upgrade From Device to Developers preview:
    1. Download the Developers Preview here: https://mega.nz/#!i5RRCKQZ!NC291mcIo-2yzr23j8Vg_mLZ11ECql4lL_xen6xwXuM
    2. Follow the steps below to "Upgrade from Device" but install the Developers Preview instead of OS 5.1.2.
    3. Now repeat the steps and install OS 5.1.2
    OS 4.5.5.1 through OS 5.1.1:
    You have 2 choices:
    A - ADB Sideload OS 5.1.2 (below)
    B - Upgrade From Device to OS 5.1.2 (easiest if you don't already have drivers for sideload mode)
    TO UPGRADE FROM DEVICE
    I think this wipes your data, (Sorry, just don't remember). Suggest you copy to PC anything that can't be replaced from the cloud.
    1. Get OS 5.1.2 update here: https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amaz...HBV/update-kindle-20.5.4.2_user_542168620.bin
    2. Confirm file name: update-kindle-20.5.4.2_user_542168620.bin
    3. Connect to computer so you see the contents of the Fire HD /sdcard dir (Internal Storage) in Windows Explorer
    4. Copy the update *.bin file onto /sdcard. Don't put it inside any folder
    5. Go to Settings/Device/Updates and tap Check for Updates
      It should then show that [*.bin file] is ready to install
    6. Tap Update Now
      [Wait a long time for installation and reboot]

OS 5.1.2 and 5.1.2.1: ADB SIDELOAD
    DON'T DO THIS ON ANY OS HIGHER THAN 5.1.2.1 (March 2016). YOU WILL PROBABLY BRICK YOUR TABLET!

A factory reset is part of the steps. Backup anything that won't reinstall from the Play Store or Appstore. If you're upgrading from an earlier OS 5, you can skip the reset (at your own risk)! If you're downgrading from 5.1.2.1, do it!

NOTE: There's a sideload tool in the FIREHD_TOOLS jobs folder that guides you through this process. It may not run on all Windows, but it'll fail before doing anything so no harm in trying it. To give it a spin, put the OS 5.1.2 bin file into the adb_sideload folder and run sideload.bat. You'll be prompted to install drivers (step 8, below.) but it does most of the heavy lifting. If you try it, please post opinion/result! Thanks!

KEEP WIFI OFF
    1. Get OS 5.1.2 update here: https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amaz...HBV/update-kindle-20.5.4.2_user_542168620.bin
    3. Put it into your pc folder with adb.exe
    4. Open a CMD window from that folder.
    5. Hold Power and Volume-up buttons to boot to the recovery menu
    6. Use volume key to select Factory Reset and press Power [wait for reset]
    7. Use volume key to select "apply update from adb" and press Power
      [See yellow message on tablet screen]
    8. Install drivers for sideload mode just as you did for regular OS mode. See hidden text or this link.
      Open Device Manager and:
      (1) Find KFARWI (or KFASWI) under "Other devices." (If you don't see KFARWI/KFASWI under "Other," disconnect/reconnect and look again.)
      (2) Right-click and select "Update Driver Software." [see Update Driver Software screen].
      (3) Click "Browse my computer" and then "Let me pick from a list . . ." [see Select your device type . . ."]
      (4) Click Android Device. [see "Select the device driver you want . . .]
      (5) Select your usual composite adb driver from the list, press Next, and say yes at warning screen. [see "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"]
      (6) In CMD window, run adb devices and confirm you see your device ID and "sideload," like this:

List of devices attached
      SERIALNUMBER sideload

If you don't see serial number, reboot tablet and computer and repeat "adb reboot recovery" and "Apply update from ADB" steps. Device should now be recognized.
    9. In CMD window type: adb sideload <name of update bin>
      [Wait a long time]
    10. Do another Factory reset
    11. Reboot to OS.
      [Long startup]
    12. Confirm Device Settings>Updates shows OS 5.1.2, build date February 26/27, 2016
  2. Download the Fire HD tools using the DOWNLOAD FROM AFH link on this post and extract to desktop
  3. In tablet Security Settings: Allow apps from unknown sources
    In Device Options, tap serial number several times to open Developer Options and confirm ADB is enabled
  4. In the Fire HD tools, run RUNME.bat and choose INSTALL KINGROOT
    Job prompts you through rooting, blocks OTA and replaces Kingroot with SuperSU.
  5. Run the PLAY STORE tool OR follow the steps below to install Gapps in TWRP.
    [EDIT June 1: The Play Store tool suddenly broke. I have the fix and will update in next few days. Until then, use the TWRP method.]
    The Play Store tool is easier and the Play Store works fine, but the "Google Settings" app doesn't.
    (Force close when you tap gear icon) You can get to everything in Google Settings through in-app settings
    or online at your Google account (https://myaccount.google.com) so it isn't required, but if you know and love it, install Gapps in TWRP.

Besides installing Gapps, the TWRP method installs scripts so you can boot TWRP from your device. Read Bibikalka's posts for info.​
    HOW TO INSTALL GAPPS IN TWRP
    Thanks bibikalka for cooking up the scripts that make this easy!
    1. Download Bibikalka's WindowsAutoTWRP_v03.zip to PC, hit Thanks, and then extract zip on PC.
    2. Download GAPPS (tk_gapps-modular-pico(uni)-5.1.1-20150920-signed.zip) and put it into WindowsAutoTWRP_v03\gscript folder
    3. Confirm folder contains both the gapps zip and the recovery_uboot zip for your OS:
    . . Currently s5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot for OS 5.1.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.2.1
    4. Run 1_FIRE_HD_4TH_GEN_TWRP.bat (in WindowsAutoTWRP_v03) and follow the prompts.
    . . [1st prompt: If you just rooted, adb debugging is enabled. You have the bootloader pack. You don't need fastboot drivers.]
    5. At end of script, look at "Verify checksums !!!" in output and confirm checksums match.
    . . If they DON'T match: Leave tablet like it is and post error in bibikalka's thread (the link in step 1).
    . . If they DO match: Use ES File explorer to go to sdcard/gscript on device and confirm your 2 zips are there.
    . . . . . If they ARE NOT, post the problem in this thread, saying which file is missing. Otherwise . . .
    6. Press [Enter] in the script window to close it.
    7. Open a new CMD window from the WindowsAutoTWRP folder and enter the command: adb reboot recovery
    . . [Tablet BOOTS to TWRP]
    8. In TWRP,
    a. Tap Install, browse to /sdcard/gscript, tap Gapps zip and swipe to install [Wait for "Successful"]
    b. Tap Home, tap Install and install the recovery_uboot zip [BE SURE TO DO THIS!]
    c. Tap Reboot System

NOTE: After you sign into Play Store and know it works, you can delete the Gapps zip file from /sdcard/gscript.
  6. Turn on wifi and sign in to Play Store.
  7. Run INSTALL NOVA LAUNCHER to install Nova and disable the stock launcher.
    You can install a different launcher later if you want it
  8. If you have ads, run BLOCK/UNBLOCK and choose BLOCK ADS
  9. If the guide and tools helped you, please hit Thanks. ;)
    DONE!

Last edited:

Slickone_

Oct 24, 2014
Wow, thanks a lot, DoLooper! I'll try this when I get home.

The only thing, the before you start section and the sections below that (main process?) state the orders of root, then upgrade to OS 5.1.2, but in the how to root section, it says "You should now be running OS 5.1.2". Contradicting.

FYI it was me, I would just combine the before you start and other sections, making it all part of the process, simply saying "if you haven't rooted, or installed ADB, do this, otherwise go to...". But that's nitpicking. :)

Reactions: DoLooper

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014

The only thing, the before you start section and the sections below that (main process?) state the orders of root, then upgrade to OS 5.1.2, but in the how to root section, it says "You should now be running OS 5.1.2". Contradicting.

FYI it was me, I would just combine the before you start and other sections, making it all part of the process, simply saying "if you haven't rooted, or installed ADB, do this, otherwise go to...". But that's nitpicking. :)
I don't mind the nitpicking. :) But, Before you Start (at top), says: (2) install drivers, (3) Check your OS and build date in Device Settings and install OS 5.1.2 if needed. Then it lists all OS's and tells you if it needs OS 5.1.2 (which almost every OS does). Is this not clear or easy to miss? Or is step 1 throwing you? That's just so people know there's an alternative with a wider range of options.

Slickone_

Oct 24, 2014
I don't mind the nitpicking. :) But, Before you Start (at top), says: (2) install drivers, (3) Check your OS and build date in Device Settings and install OS 5.1.2 if needed. Then it lists all OS's and tells you if it needs OS 5.1.2 (which almost every OS does). Is this not clear or easy to miss? Or is step 1 throwing you? That's just so people know there's an alternative with a wider range of options.
I just mean that the order of both sections are root, then upgrade OS. But in the root section, the directions order is upgrade OS, then root.

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014

Good suggestions here and in your PM. I reformatted. Think it's better now. Thanks!

mykey38

Oct 30, 2006
Many thanks for the above, worked like a treat.
However I may have over googlified my HD6 as I now have a couple of issues. After installing a bunch of google apps and updating Play Services i have the following issues.
The HD6 wont switch off - not a big issue.
I cannot login to the play store, the circle just keeps spinning round. I can access Google Play Music no issue so I am puzzled.
I have tried to login to the Find My Android app but it keeps rejecting the password which I know is correct, I have installed the google keyboard and I may try and return to the amazon version and see if this error persists.

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Many thanks for the above, worked like a treat.
However I may have over googlified my HD6 as I now have a couple of issues. After installing a bunch of google apps and updating Play Services i have the following issues.
The HD6 wont switch off - not a big issue.
I cannot login to the play store, the circle just keeps spinning round. I can access Google Play Music no issue so I am puzzled.
I have tried to login to the Find My Android app but it keeps rejecting the password which I know is correct, I have installed the google keyboard and I may try and return to the amazon version and see if this error persists.
First try rebooting. If no help,go to recovery (hold power and volume+) and Clear Cache. See if those make a difference. Just wondering: What OS did you start from? Did you install/reinstall OS 5.1.2 AND do a factory reset at start? thanks.
EDIT: For the play store, go to settings/apps/all and scroll to play store. Hit force stop, then clear cache. Clear cache in Google services, too. Try opening play store.

Last edited:

mykey38

Oct 30, 2006
Just to update the Purity app which loaded with Kingroot has purified all the Google apps I had run so I had to unblock each one within the Purity app. Is it safe to install it if you even can.

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Just to update the Purity app which loaded with Kingroot has purified all the Google apps I had run so I had to unblock each one within the Purity app. Is it safe to install it if you even can.
Install what? After rooting you were asked if you wanted to remove Kingroot. Did you say no? That removes Purify, too, so you shouldn't even have it!
EDIT: Guess you meant uninstall. I really know nothing about Purify. You can run the tool to replace Kingroot (and uninstall Purify) now, but I can't say how it will affect your "purified" apps. Worst case, you have to reinstall OS 5.1.2 and start again, which might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

pitmanr2003

Nov 8, 2009
mine keeps failing when trying to sideload. Im on 5.1.2 i guess later model cause i cant root so i tried to downgrade. it gets to around 50 percent and fails. i get e:failed to verify whole-file signature, E: sigtanture verification failed
instalation aborted. i tried the automatic sideload as well as the manual sideload and same results. Im trying to redownload file and see if thats the issue.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

after redownloding it did same thing fails right at 47 percent

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
mine keeps failing when trying to sideload. Im on 5.1.2 i guess later model cause i cant root so i tried to downgrade. it gets to around 50 percent and fails. i get e:failed to verify whole-file signature, E: sigtanture verification failed
instalation aborted. i tried the automatic sideload as well as the manual sideload and same results. Im trying to redownload file and see if thats the issue.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

after redownloding it did same thing fails right at 47 percent
Please run the Device Info tool and tell me what device it shows at the top and what it shows for "BUILD number" and "FireOS version"

pitmanr2003

Nov 8, 2009
this was a previously rooted tablet and i had dissabled ota, but somehow it updated itself. i have 2 tablets and did them both the same way. the other one never ota'd , but this one did for some reason. i have been waiting for a fix and no luck so far downgrading it. :(

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

hold on i was trying it again. it always fails at 47 pecent.

pitmanr2003

Nov 8, 2009
here is a snipit

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.4 KB · Views: 154

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
this was a previously rooted tablet and i had dissabled ota, but somehow it updated itself. i have 2 tablets and did them both the same way. the other one never ota'd , but this one did for some reason. i have been waiting for a fix and no luck so far downgrading it. :(

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

hold on i was trying it again. it always fails at 47 pecent.
If you're sure you've got a 2014 Fire HD (not 2015 Fire), I have no idea why sideload is failing. I'd google it as well as ask in the Q&A forum. Post the messages you're getting any info tablet/rooting history that might assist someone in helping you.

pitmanr2003

Nov 8, 2009
yes it is a 2015. i just got it at christmas time. thanks i will try that. didnt realize this was for older gen

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

trying it now. im lucky i didnt brick it i quess

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

woohoo worked that time. rebooting and hopefully i can get root back now. thanks alot bro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This explains how to use the Fire HD tools (for Windows) to root and install Gapps and a custom launcher on the Fire HD 6 or 7.
    Note: If your tablet has an SD card slot, it's a 2015 Fire. Don't use this guide. Go to the 2015 Fire forums.

TURN OFF WIFI NOW TO PREVENT AN UPGRADE!

BEFORE YOU START
    • Check out the Root Tut so you know about the alternative to this guide. Once you're rooted, this TWRP method lets you upgrade and install Gapps, Xposed and goodies @bibikalka provides all in one go. This is the only way to get rooted OS 5.1.2.1. If you're already rooted, use that tutorial to upgrade.

[*] Read about rooting and updates so you'll understand how it works when you get to the rooting step, and can decide now if you'd rather root OS 4 and upgrade in TWRP.

An update file can download while you're rooting. The Kingroot tool prevents it from installing as soon as you press Enter to tell the tool you're rooted. Then it looks for any downloaded file and if it finds one it tells you where it is and prompts you to delete.

OS 5.1.2: There are no commands to prevent an upgrade from installing before you're rooted. Amazon says that upgrades don't install while the device is being used, but be aware that there's some risk. To minimize the risk, be sure your OS is rootable and never leave the tablet idle while rooting. Just keep running Kingroot until root is successful and then press Enter to block installation of any download. (These instructions are in the tool.)
    OS 4.5.3: There ARE commands to prevent an upgrade from installing on unrooted OS 4, which the Kingroot tool runs before you turn on wifi to root. This means you can sideload OS 4.5.3 and root without any risk of updating. You can then upgrade with root in TWRP, as explained in the root tut above.

FWIW, Kingroot once rebooted 5 times and told me "Root Failed" 3 times before finally succeeding. An update had downloaded to /cache, but the tool successfully blocked installation and found the file, which I deleted. So, although it's possible you could get upgraded, as long as you keep the tablet busy trying to root and then press Enter as soon as you're rooted, it's very unlikely.

HOW TO ROOT AND SET UP THE FIRE HD

1. Install ADB Drivers if you don't have them.
      Illustrated Guide: http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/genera...ivers-fire-t3189000/post62561840#post62561840
      Other Options: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63072252&postcount=2

[*] Look at OS and build date in Device Settings>Updates and determine if you need to install OS 5.1.2.
      • OS 5.1.2.1 (shows OS 5.1.2, Build Date: March 2016):
        Install OS 5.1.2. (5.1.2.1 can't be rooted.)
      • OS 5.1.2 (shows OS 5.1.2, Build Date: February 2016):
        Install 5.1.2 If tablet is the least bit unstable or if you just want a clean start.
      • OS 5.1.1 or earlier:
        Install OS 5.1.2. to upgrade.
      • OS LATER THAN 5.1.2.1:
        DO NOT install 5.1.2. Downgrades often brick tablets! I'll change this message after someone tests.

You may be able to safely downgrade to OS 4.5.3, root, and then upgrade in TWRP per bibikalka's root Tut, above. Before trying this, make sure the post says it's safe for the OS you're on.

[*] If you need OS 5.1.2, follow these instructions:
      TURN OFF WIFI BEFORE YOU START.

OS 4.5.5 and below, read this:
      You have 3 choices:
      A - Use the root tools to root now and block updates, then upgrade in TWRP (and flash Gapps, etc) per the root Tut
      B - ADB Sideload OS 5.1.2 (below)
      C - Upgrade From Device to Developers preview then upgrade again to OS 5.1.2.

To Upgrade From Device to Developers preview:
      1. Download the Developers Preview here: https://mega.nz/#!i5RRCKQZ!NC291mcIo-2yzr23j8Vg_mLZ11ECql4lL_xen6xwXuM
      2. Follow the steps below to "Upgrade from Device" but install the Developers Preview instead of OS 5.1.2.
      3. Now repeat the steps and install OS 5.1.2
      OS 4.5.5.1 through OS 5.1.1:
      You have 2 choices:
      A - ADB Sideload OS 5.1.2 (below)
      B - Upgrade From Device to OS 5.1.2 (easiest if you don't already have drivers for sideload mode)
      TO UPGRADE FROM DEVICE
      I think this wipes your data, (Sorry, just don't remember). Suggest you copy to PC anything that can't be replaced from the cloud.
      3. Connect to computer so you see the contents of the Fire HD /sdcard dir (Internal Storage) in Windows Explorer
      4. Copy the update *.bin file onto /sdcard. Don't put it inside any folder
      5. Go to Settings/Device/Updates and tap Check for Updates
        It should then show that [*.bin file] is ready to install
      6. Tap Update Now
        [Wait a long time for installation and reboot]

OS 5.1.2 and 5.1.2.1: ADB SIDELOAD
      DON'T DO THIS ON ANY OS HIGHER THAN 5.1.2.1 (March 2016). YOU WILL PROBABLY BRICK YOUR TABLET!

A factory reset is part of the steps. Backup anything that won't reinstall from the Play Store or Appstore. If you're upgrading from an earlier OS 5, you can skip the reset (at your own risk)! If you're downgrading from 5.1.2.1, do it!

NOTE: There's a sideload tool in the FIREHD_TOOLS jobs folder that guides you through this process. It may not run on all Windows, but it'll fail before doing anything so no harm in trying it. To give it a spin, put the OS 5.1.2 bin file into the adb_sideload folder and run sideload.bat. You'll be prompted to install drivers (step 8, below.) but it does most of the heavy lifting. If you try it, please post opinion/result! Thanks!

KEEP WIFI OFF
      3. Put it into your pc folder with adb.exe
      4. Open a CMD window from that folder.
      5. Hold Power and Volume-up buttons to boot to the recovery menu
      6. Use volume key to select Factory Reset and press Power [wait for reset]
      7. Use volume key to select "apply update from adb" and press Power
        [See yellow message on tablet screen]
      8. Install drivers for sideload mode just as you did for regular OS mode. See hidden text or this link.
        Open Device Manager and:
        (1) Find KFARWI (or KFASWI) under "Other devices." (If you don't see KFARWI/KFASWI under "Other," disconnect/reconnect and look again.)
        (2) Right-click and select "Update Driver Software." [see Update Driver Software screen].
        (3) Click "Browse my computer" and then "Let me pick from a list . . ." [see Select your device type . . ."]
        (4) Click Android Device. [see "Select the device driver you want . . .]
        (5) Select your usual composite adb driver from the list, press Next, and say yes at warning screen. [see "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"]
        (6) In CMD window, run adb devices and confirm you see your device ID and "sideload," like this:

List of devices attached
        SERIALNUMBER sideload

If you don't see serial number, reboot tablet and computer and repeat "adb reboot recovery" and "Apply update from ADB" steps. Device should now be recognized.
      9. In CMD window type: adb sideload <name of update bin>
        [Wait a long time]
      10. Do another Factory reset
      11. Reboot to OS.
        [Long startup]
      12. Confirm Device Settings>Updates shows OS 5.1.2, build date February 26/27, 2016
    2. Download the Fire HD tools using the DOWNLOAD FROM AFH link on this post and extract to desktop
    3. In tablet Security Settings: Allow apps from unknown sources
      In Device Options, tap serial number several times to open Developer Options and confirm ADB is enabled
    4. In the Fire HD tools, run RUNME.bat and choose INSTALL KINGROOT
      Job prompts you through rooting, blocks OTA and replaces Kingroot with SuperSU.
    5. Run the PLAY STORE tool OR follow the steps below to install Gapps in TWRP.
      [EDIT June 1: The Play Store tool suddenly broke. I have the fix and will update in next few days. Until then, use the TWRP method.]
      The Play Store tool is easier and the Play Store works fine, but the "Google Settings" app doesn't.
      (Force close when you tap gear icon) You can get to everything in Google Settings through in-app settings
      or online at your Google account (https://myaccount.google.com) so it isn't required, but if you know and love it, install Gapps in TWRP.

Besides installing Gapps, the TWRP method installs scripts so you can boot TWRP from your device. Read Bibikalka's posts for info.​
      HOW TO INSTALL GAPPS IN TWRP
      Thanks bibikalka for cooking up the scripts that make this easy!
      1. Download Bibikalka's WindowsAutoTWRP_v03.zip to PC, hit Thanks, and then extract zip on PC.
      2. Download GAPPS (tk_gapps-modular-pico(uni)-5.1.1-20150920-signed.zip) and put it into WindowsAutoTWRP_v03\gscript folder
      3. Confirm folder contains both the gapps zip and the recovery_uboot zip for your OS:
      . . Currently s5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot for OS 5.1.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.2.1
      4. Run 1_FIRE_HD_4TH_GEN_TWRP.bat (in WindowsAutoTWRP_v03) and follow the prompts.
      . . [1st prompt: If you just rooted, adb debugging is enabled. You have the bootloader pack. You don't need fastboot drivers.]
      5. At end of script, look at "Verify checksums !!!" in output and confirm checksums match.
      . . If they DON'T match: Leave tablet like it is and post error in bibikalka's thread (the link in step 1).
      . . If they DO match: Use ES File explorer to go to sdcard/gscript on device and confirm your 2 zips are there.
      . . . . . If they ARE NOT, post the problem in this thread, saying which file is missing. Otherwise . . .
      6. Press [Enter] in the script window to close it.
      7. Open a new CMD window from the WindowsAutoTWRP folder and enter the command: adb reboot recovery
      . . [Tablet BOOTS to TWRP]
      8. In TWRP,
      a. Tap Install, browse to /sdcard/gscript, tap Gapps zip and swipe to install [Wait for "Successful"]
      b. Tap Home, tap Install and install the recovery_uboot zip [BE SURE TO DO THIS!]
      c. Tap Reboot System

NOTE: After you sign into Play Store and know it works, you can delete the Gapps zip file from /sdcard/gscript.
    6. Turn on wifi and sign in to Play Store.
    7. Run INSTALL NOVA LAUNCHER to install Nova and disable the stock launcher.
      You can install a different launcher later if you want it
    8. If you have ads, run BLOCK/UNBLOCK and choose BLOCK ADS
    9. If the guide and tools helped you, please hit Thanks. ;)
      DONE!
    Sure you can skip it, but you'll probably get error again when you do sign in. (If you don't, please post again and let me know.) Although installing play store this way is pretty common, I'm learning it isn't as reliable as I'd expected. I'm looking for a solution.
    @Bracken_wood: Didn't see your post earlier. This applies to you too.

I did it the way you mentioned below and got it working. A few more steps, but play store login worked the first time. Thanks for replying.

That should work! Sometimes there are problems when you flash Gapps on Gapps, so first uninstall the 4 Google packages: Play Store, play services, google framework, google account manager. Use post #2 on this page to boot TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950. Flash the Gapps package in post #1 on that page along with the 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip, post #2, assuming you're running OS 5.1.2.

So here's my problem:

1. Updated to 5.1.2 (Feb 27, 2016 build 20.5.4.2_user_542168620)
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Disconnected from wifi and ran the Fire HD tools provided
    4. selected install kingroot, returns
    Code:
     Press [Enter] to start or close window to quit.
    find: 'com.kingroot.kinguser': No such file or directory

Finding Kingroot apk . . .
    find: '{Directory 1}': Permission denied
    find: '{Directory 2}': Permission denied
    find: '{Directory 3}': Permission denied
    find: '{Directory 4}': Permission denied
    find: '{Directory 5}': Permission denied
    find: '{Directory 6}': Permission denied
    find: '{Directory 7}': Permission denied
    etc.

what am I doing wrong?
    Hmm. Do the errors ever stop? What Windows version do you have? Are you running as administrator? @007manyo Do you have linux on this machine?
    What did you do to solve the problem. It would be nice to know in the event others experience the same problem.

Essentially, I started again. Did a factory reset and followed the instructions again from the top. I think the issue was with the KingRoot as this process played out differently to the first time I did it. Must not have rooted correctly. After that everything went perfectly.