Search This thread

Provided

Code:
[COLOR="gray"]
[/COLOR]

Current Progress
Screenshot_from_2016_09_18_17_21_52.png

updated: 18 Sep 2016

So why wont Netflix work if vlc and yt does? Also are you working on a fix for the camera? I'd really like a custom rom for my ariel, and this is the only one ported as of now? Please let me know whether you're still working on this or if it is what it is.

Mostly its Netflix that's the drawback but I think I wouldn't install unless the camera was working as well.

Thanks!

deraylor

Dec 29, 2018
So why wont Netflix work if vlc and yt does? Also are you working on a fix for the camera? I'd really like a custom rom for my ariel, and this is the only one ported as of now? Please let me know whether you're still working on this or if it is what it is.

Mostly its Netflix that's the drawback but I think I wouldn't install unless the camera was working as well.

Thanks!

Netflix 4.16.4 works fine, even downloads episodes for this device.
Just Google search "Netflix app not available in app store" and get it right off Netflix webpage after following the couple applicable links.

werwiewas

Feb 1, 2010
it's a pitty, this device is overlooked for newer ROM's. More and more apps will not work in cyanogenmod 11, which based on Android 4.x. any possibility to get cyanogenmod 12 od 13 on fire hd 6 (ariel)?

Resources ...

it's a pitty, this device is overlooked for newer ROM's. More and more apps will not work in cyanogenmod 11, which based on Android 4.x. any possibility to get cyanogenmod 12 od 13 on fire hd 6 (ariel)?

(Ahem.... old man steps up on soapbox..)
[SOAPBOX]
I've never been an Android developer, but long ago, when PC's were just starting out I made a very good living developing programs for the PC platform. Later on, I managed the people that wrote the code. I know what's involved when developing these ROMs. It's not magic, it's a *lot* of hard work.

I'll take a shot at this question...

Probably the biggest reason is that Amazon has never updated the Linux kernel or the binary hardware drivers that go with that version of the kernel. This kernel is based on Linux 3.10 --ancient in hardware and Android terms. Amazon has no driving force to update it unless it wants to (I.e., to keep your eyes and wallet on Amazon!) This tablet is 5 years old now. Want a faster Fire tablet - Amazon says, "Buy this new shiny and faster one from Amazon!, " thereby keeping you in their walled garden and your eyes and wallet in Amazon's ecosystem.

Remember, you're not running true Android on the stock Fire, you're running FireOS - a forked version of Android, no longer pure Android. Amazon changed code to fit their needs, not the Android community's needs. The Android developer has to find those deviations and decide on their suitability for normal usage. Amazon has no reason to help the Android community - in fact, it's in their best interest if they don't. You're taking their device from their captive ecosystem where they can make money from it, and saying, "Hey, I want to take your moneymaking device and make it a generic tablet that you won't make money from any more. Can you help me do that? " I know if I was Amazon, my answer would be, "He.l NO!"

The secondary reason would be that these *great* developers (and they are great! ) make these ROM's in their *spare* time, while they have the device. People move on - with their devices, their families, their careers, and their lives. Nobody pays them to make these ROMs, they do it for the fun of it. When it's no longer fun, and it's not putting money in their pocket, why do it? It's more fun going out with friends, significant others, going fishing, etc., than working on a program.

We should be profusely thanking these developers for their time and effort for doing what they have done already!
[/SOAPBOX]
(Old man gets off soapbox and disappears into the crowd...)

Reactions: Andi Roo

werwiewas

Feb 1, 2010
We should be profusely thanking these developers for their time and effort for doing what they have done already!
[/SOAPBOX]

Thank you for your answer. I hope my post sounded not to rude and ungratefull. :) I am not a prgrogrammer at all but I can imagine how hard it is to do custom roms especially on devices which are totaly different from other ones. I learned the fire hd6 is such a device.
Please don't get me wrong. I am of course thankfull for every rom, for every theme, for every app or programm I got on XDA. I know, everything I downloaded for free is hard work and someone did it free of charge.
In my post I just wanted to express, that the hd6 is really a good device. Not to big, not to small. I use it hanging on the wall for home automation with the cyanogenmod 11. The rom is awesome. Comparing it to the fire OS is like comparing day and night. Unfortunatally some things aren't working in this rom like the microphone and the blutooth. :angel:

Again I never wanted to minimize someones work. I really appreciate good work and some good work is found on XDA.:good::good:

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
Good work, finally got it installed. Gave some error about "failed to mount" until I changed something in twrp. Needs an update, a lot of apps don't work.

werwiewas

Feb 1, 2010
WOW, really great news... Thank you very much ggow! You made my day... I am looking forward to hear from you...

HERKULX

Mar 19, 2009
CM 11 is currently working for Hd6 front and rear cameras and bluetooth

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

So what exactly works in Cm11 and what doesn't work. I want to install cm11 as soon as possible. Because of the fire on hd6 4th Gen Os is very cumbersome

toasterboy1

Sep 18, 2013
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 3
Replaced my kids' HD6s (ariel) with Fire 7 (ford) because of the easy brick recovery and your work on newer ROMs. Thought I would come back here and see what was new as I still have one collecting dust. Excited you are still working on these as well. Seems like you have made a lot of progress. Did you ever figure out the headphone jack issue? Excited to see if you manage to get these pushed past KitKat as I was excited to see the ford go to Nougat, opened up some newer apps.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Replaced my kids' HD6s (ariel) with Fire 7 (ford) because of the easy brick recovery and your work on newer ROMs. Thought I would come back here and see what was new as I still have one collecting dust. Excited you are still working on these as well. Seems like you have made a lot of progress. Did you ever figure out the headphone jack issue? Excited to see if you manage to get these pushed past KitKat as I was excited to see the ford go to Nougat, opened up some newer apps.

This device is difficult. Haven't fixed the headphones yet. Might look to see if amonet unlock can be ported at some point then that would open up nougat.

Reactions: dex9mm

dex9mm

This device is difficult. Haven't fixed the headphones yet. Might look to see if amonet unlock can be ported at some point then that would open up nougat.

Just installed last night as a media throw for my Xbox but with the cm11 on this its like a rocket thanks for your hard work hope you crack the bootloader seems like a mammoth task but keep plugging away

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Backup your existing ROM in case you want to go back
    - Must have the 4.5.3 bootloaders loaded
    - Must have TWRP access

Fresh Installation
    - From your recovery perform a Factory Reset
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash SuperSU if you want root access
    - Flash Open Gapps of your choice.
    - Reboot and enjoy!

Downloads
    *** Please do NOT create any mirrors ***
    - lineage-11.0 for Amazon Fire HD6 and HD7 2014 Tablet

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: Ariel stock kernel, build number update-kindle-20.4.5.5_user_455002120

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-11.0 Fire HD6&7, ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 6 and 7

Contributors
    ggow
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: Cyanogenmod

Version Information

Created 2015-12-13
    Last Updated 2019-10-18
    Release Notes / Changelog

14 Oct 2019
    - Security patches up to and including February 2019
    - Bluetooth works

17 Oct 2016

- Ported Google's October 2016 security patches.

18 Sep 2016
    - Security Patches Up to and including September 2016
    - Some OMX features fixed
    - Youtube Fixed
    - VLC now plays HD video

12 May 2016
    - Security Patches Up to and including May 2016
    - Updated CM-11 Code

11 Jan 2016
    - Set DPI to 252
    - Add launcher rotation setting to build.prop (enabled by default)
    - Add lock screen rotation setting to build.prop (enabled by default)
    - 01 January 2016 AOSP security patches included
    - Updated CM-11 Code

13 Dec 2015
    - Initial Release
    New Build is Up

- Dated 13 Dec 2015
    - Initial Release
    - Links are now up
    I've got bluetooth working, will be in the next release.
    I'm looking into OMX currently.
    I sent the information twice via PM. For some reason, it's not listed in my outbox, so, let me know if it didn't make it to your side!

- Downloading it now and will take a look tomorrow
    - Thanks again :)