ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
FX0nwmv.jpg

Code:
[COLOR="gray"]
/*
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
 * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
 * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
 * in the products you find here before flashing it!
 * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
 */
[/COLOR]
Here you can find stock firmware for the Amazon Fire Phone (Kodiak) which are safestrap flashable.

This can be useful when you come to install another ROM, but find yourself wanting to return to stock for some reason.

Please note the following:
- These images do NOT block OTA updates from Amazon so be careful with connecting to Mobile and WiFi networks. An accidental Amazon OTA can spoil your day.
- These images do NOT flash a new kernel or recovery - only a new /system image
- You must be running Safestrap V4.0.1 with a stock base software version 4.6.1
- Do NOT use these images to downgrade or upgrade your base firmware.

Installation:
- Copy file to your phone
- Flash the ROM image in Safestrap
- Flash the latest SuperSU package if you want root
- Still within Safestrap from the Main menu select Wipe
- Then Swipe at the bottom to Factory Reset.
- Finally Reboot.

4.6.1 Images:
UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.1_user_461013320.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.1_user_461013820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.1_user_461013320.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.3... 420 Variant Images:
UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.3_user_463001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.3_user_463001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.3_user_463001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.3... 620 Variant Images:
UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.3_user_463001620.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.3_user_463001620.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.3_user_463001620.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.6... 820 Variant Images:
UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.6_user_466000820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.6_user_466000820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.6_user_466000820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.6.1... 420 Variant Images:
UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.6.1_user_466001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.6.1_user_466001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.6.1_user_466001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

Last edited:

dhack21

Apr 14, 2010
Phoenix
To my understanding

Hello.

First thanks for all your hard work allowing us to install CM11 via safe strap. Quick question as it's been years since I've used a safe strap install. Once installed and CM11 is installed is it possible to boot back into Fire OS? Or is the Fire OS system over written since we're using the stock spot in SS.

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Hello.

First thanks for all your hard work allowing us to install CM11 via safe strap. Quick question as it's been years since I've used a safe strap install. Once installed and CM11 is installed is it possible to boot back into Fire OS? Or is the Fire OS system over written since we're using the stock spot in SS.

The short answer is yes you can. There are two options:

- You can do a backup in safestrap of your stock ROM.
- Or you can discard FireOS for now, install CM-11. If you need to go back I have provided a Safestrap flashable 4.6.1 zip in the OP of this thread.

dhack21

Apr 14, 2010
Phoenix

- Or you can discard FireOS for now, install CM-11. If you need to go back I have provided a Safestrap flashable 4.6.1 zip in the OP of this thread.

Was my existing system formatted during the install of CM11 however? I only ask as I rooted with king root and wanted to ensure no traces remain after install of CM11.

Sent from my Fire Phone using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Was my existing system formatted during the install of CM11 however? I only ask as I rooted with king root and wanted to ensure no traces remain after install of CM11.

Sent from my Fire Phone using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes, it's /system is formatted during install of CM-11 so no traces of Kingroot will exist.

Reactions: dhack21

kblikefly

Oct 5, 2008
After flash this stock rom, will the fire phone brick if accidently received the OTA updates.

Thank you.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
After flash this stock rom, will the fire phone brick if accidently received the OTA updates.

Thank you.

To be honest I don't know what will happen. It wouldn't normally brick but I haven't had much experience with this device. Certainly on the kindle hdx's we have seen many bricks due to OTA updates.

Last edited:

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Update

@Bingo Bronson has kindly created Safestrap Flashable US and GER versions of amazon stock 4.6.1.

The File links are in the OP now.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
This question was already asked but I didn't quite get what I was looking for...we can make a backup to restore to later OR use the one in the op. But is there a difference as to which one is safer? For instance would a backup be as prone to potential bricks from otas? Or does it not matter?
I have no important data I want to preserve, just that I'm ready to flash cm11 and want an opinion on whether I should backup stock Rom. I guess it doesn't hurt to have but still curious. Thanks.

MortaLPortaL

Oct 21, 2014
This question was already asked but I didn't quite get what I was looking for...we can make a backup to restore to later OR use the one in the op. But is there a difference as to which one is safer? For instance would a backup be as prone to potential bricks from otas? Or does it not matter?
I have no important data I want to preserve, just that I'm ready to flash cm11 and want an opinion on whether I should backup stock Rom. I guess it doesn't hurt to have but still curious. Thanks.

never hurts. back it up and leave it on the phone.

Reactions: KLit75

phxal

Nov 12, 2009
Is it ok to flash this US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.1_user_461013820.zip )(820 = unlocked) with ATT locked FP version but unlocked with a code with Fire OS 4.6.1 (461013320) updated from 3.5.1 OTA ? Will it break the unlocked sim or worse the phone?

Is there really any big difference between the unlocked FP versus ATT locked version? Or are they pretty much the same except att just wanted their phone locked to their network.

B

Bingo Bronson

Is it ok to flash / Will it break the unlocked sim or worse the phone? Is there really any big difference between the unlocked FP versus ATT locked version? Or are they pretty much the same except att just wanted their phone locked to their network.
The version of the OS has no effect on the netlock. If your phone is unlocked, it will stay unlocked. Just imagine if it was that easy to manipulate a netlock with changing the OS...

I tested every version on my device in the beginning just to see the difference in behavior when it comes to installing GAPPS, third party apps, etc.

If you don't have much apps & stuff saved on your phone already, I would recommend a clean install with the US factory image (see link in my signature "Fire Phone stock recovery...").

Also, you can't use those ZIP files with stock FireOS recovery, you would need to use the safestrap recovery.
I suggest installing the safestrap recovery and also flashing these GAPPS mentioned in ggow's thread, since they are more suitable than the ones you used.

Since your device is unlocked, keeping the "US 320" version (and its flaws regarding GAPPS) is unnecessary. You may consider switching to CM11 in the future, once it's finished.

Last edited:

phxal

Nov 12, 2009
OK thanks. I had enough of constanly resetting the FP whenever PlayStore breaks trying every options available that I can find so I will try to flash the file then.

I actually have safestrap installed and made a backup of the FP OS with my settings and minimum apps that I prefer before attempting other options but I just found out that when I tried to restore my backup it fails every time. I tried making a new backup and restore right away with the same result. Hopefully this will solve that problem too or is there a something else I should look in to?

Update:
It solved my problems! Thanks!:good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FX0nwmv.jpg

Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]
    Here you can find stock firmware for the Amazon Fire Phone (Kodiak) which are safestrap flashable.

This can be useful when you come to install another ROM, but find yourself wanting to return to stock for some reason.

Please note the following:
    - These images do NOT block OTA updates from Amazon so be careful with connecting to Mobile and WiFi networks. An accidental Amazon OTA can spoil your day.
    - These images do NOT flash a new kernel or recovery - only a new /system image
    - You must be running Safestrap V4.0.1 with a stock base software version 4.6.1
    - Do NOT use these images to downgrade or upgrade your base firmware.

Installation:
    - Copy file to your phone
    - Flash the ROM image in Safestrap
    - Flash the latest SuperSU package if you want root
    - Still within Safestrap from the Main menu select Wipe
    - Then Swipe at the bottom to Factory Reset.
    - Finally Reboot.

4.6.1 Images:
    UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.1_user_461013320.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.1_user_461013820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.1_user_461013320.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.3... 420 Variant Images:
    UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.3_user_463001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.3_user_463001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.3_user_463001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.3... 620 Variant Images:
    UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.3_user_463001620.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.3_user_463001620.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.3_user_463001620.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.6... 820 Variant Images:
    UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.6_user_466000820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.6_user_466000820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.6_user_466000820.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1

4.6.6.1... 420 Variant Images:
    UK - ss_update-fire-phone-33.4.6.6.1_user_466001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    US - ss_update-fire-phone-35.4.6.6.1_user_466001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    DE - ss_update-fire-phone-34.4.6.6.1_user_466001420.zip <- Flashable on Safestrap v4.0.1
    Thanks. But wow what a dissapointment?. I thought at the most a complete wipe and reboot would clear away cm11 and i need safestrap to go back. This would involve quite a bit of work. Probably not worth it just to play around with fire OS for a few days. Its just a little confusing though... who are these images for? If youre on stock you can get otas, if youre on cm you cant flash them without serious issues?
    Anyways. I do appreciate the response. Thanks again!

If you want to tryout FireOS via safestrap do the following.

- download one of the safestrap flashable images
    - copy it to the root of /sdcard
    - flash the cleansystempartition.zip via safestrap
    - factory reset via safestrap
    - then flash your safestrap flashable zip via safestrap
    - reboot and should be good to go.
    - it may take up to 30 seconds for the boot animation to appear.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Reset to Factory Stock 4.6.1 - removing CM11/root/Safestrap in the process

...Next time, check if you like the form factor before modifying a phone.

Sometimes, it's just best help with facts and not to assume. Especially in a dev environment like this... :)

With that said, this is my 12th phone in 6 months, but my first Fire Phone. As such, I'm not as familiar with the hacking of this particular model. For others who may come across this discussion, or otherwise, here are the steps I ended up using to remove CM11/root/Safestrap, and restore the phone to factory 4.6.1 stock:

1) Downloaded Minimum ADB tools, installed to C:\ADB for convenience
    2) Downloaded 4.6.1 stock image from https://mega.co.nz/#!8lkhjQRS!XX8Ev0...L-iIqU_T3k9ah0, saved it to C:\ADB and renamed this file update.bin
    3) Followed these steps to gain ADB USB access. Alternately, I found out later I could go to Settings on the phone, then to Device, then to "Get info about your Fire" and then tap on the Model Number several times until "Developer Options" comes up. Clicking that will take you to the option to enable "USB Debugging".
    4) I also grabbed the Kindle Fire ADB drivers from here for convenience in Step 7 (below)
    4) Rebooted into stock recovery by holding Power and Volume Up. Yes, you can do this from anywhere - phone on or off. And yes, you can still get to stock recovery this way even if you have Safestrap recovery installed
    5) Use volume down to reach "Apply update from ADB" option then press Power
    6) Open Command Prompt from Windows, reach your ADB folder (mine is C:\ADB in this example), type ADB devices. If you see what looks like a serial number (letters and numbers), then ADB is seeing your phone and you can skip to Step 8. If nothing there, follow Step 7.
    7) For me, ADB did not initially detect my phone. I ended up having to go into Control Panel in Windows, to Device Manager, find the Fire phone, choose Update Drivers, then Browse My Computer, Let Me Pick, Show All Devices, Have Disk, then find the folder from Step 4 (above) and add Android Composite ADB Interface by hand. Once I did that, I unplugged and replugged the USB to the phone and then typed "ADB devices" again at the ADB command prompt, like in Step 6. There it is! Ok, next step...
    8) Type the command ADB sideload update.bin and let the magic happen. When done, reboot the phone and everything is reset.
    9) If you're going to sell the phone, or if you don't want all of your Android apps from before repopulating (because some of them just aren't going to work or work correctly under Fire OS), immediately go to Settings/Device and "Factory reset your Fire" - this will wipe the SD partition where the old apps are saved.

Cool side-note, regarding Step 9... I still had Nova launcher available. Running it under Fire OS works great! Nice to have the stability of the Fire OS the hardware desires, along with a zippy, traditional launcher to navigate. :)

The end. Cheers...
    Hello.