Root for Fire Phone with SuperSU

Search This thread

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
** DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DEVELOPER. I DO THIS AS A HOBBY AND SHARE MY FINDINGS IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE FINDS THEM USEFUL. **
** THIS WORKED ON MY DEVICE BUT IT MAY NOT WORK ON YOURS. APPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK **​
** This method is designed for Amazon fire phone. Do not use it on other devices unless you are familiar with Android file system and are able to apply proper modifications. **​

This has been tested with the unlocked US version running 4.6.1.

This procedure installs superSU root binaries and busybox on your system.

Requirements

Make sure your PC can communicate with your fire phone via adb.

The success of this method depends on following the procedure very carefully. So read the instructions and make sure you understand every step before you try it.

Procedure

1- Install and run Kingroot 4.0. You can google and download it or you can use the one in the attached zip file. When Kingroot runs it is all in Chinese, but basically you need to be connected to the internet for it to work. It will do its thing and show progress up to 100% after which you can exit the program. Now your phone is rooted. The following steps replaces the Kinguser with SuperSU.

2- Unzip the attached file in your adb directory and then open an adb terminal and make sure the PC can see your phone (you can check that by typing adb devices). Then type the following:

Code:
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb shell

3- In the shell that you get type the following and make sure you give the permission when the phone prompts you:

Code:
su

4- Continue by typing the following commands:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
cat /data/local/tmp/su >/system/xbin/daemonsu && chmod 0755 /system/xbin/daemonsu
cat /data/local/tmp/busybox >/system/xbin/busybox && chmod 0755 /system/xbin/busybox
daemonsu -d &

The key is to keep this session running while you continue with the rest, so be careful with typos and monitor this window for any errors.

5- At this point, leave the adb terminal window running and go to your phone, open the Kinguser app, open settings (the wheel at the top right corner of the screen), Root authorization setting, and Remove Root permission. The app will self-uninstall.

6- Uninstall the other two Kingroot programs that are still on your phone (KingRoot and the other one with the blue icon and Chinese text under it).

7- Back to the adb terminal, and type the following:

Code:
cat /data/local/tmp/su >/system/xbin/su && chmod 0755 /system/xbin/su
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/ku.sud
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/supolicy
rm /system/xbin/ku.sud
rm /system/xbin/supolicy

rm /system/bin/rt.sh
rm /system/bin/install-recovery.sh
rm /system/bin/shipclean
rm /system/bin/start-ssh

busybox chattr -ia /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
busybox chattr -ia /system/etc/install-recovery.sh-ku.bak
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh-ku.bak
rm /system/etc/install_recovery.sh

rm /system/usr/icu/icusuflag.conf
busybox chattr -ia /system/usr/iku/isu
rm -rf /system/usr/iku

rm /system/kroot_*
rm /sdcard/kr-stock-conf
rm -rf /sdcard/Kingroot

rm -rf /data/data-lib/com.kingroot.RushRoot
rm -rf /data/data-lib/com.kingroot.kinguser
rm -rf /data/data-lib/king

Again, leave the adb terminal window running and go to your phone.

8- Install superSU (from the attached file) on your phone, run it, and let it update the SU binary.

9- Reboot the phone. After about 5 minutes your root is ready.

Hint: It is a good idea to disable Amazon device client platform, DCP platform contracts, and two apps called System Updates in Amazon settings. They are responsible for regular updates, constant chatter with Amazon servers, and possible patching of your root exploit. Also disable Kinesis service which is responsible for major battery drain and heating. You will find it under settings, display, configure motion and gesture settings. Disable all.

Troubleshooting

1- Most of the problems that I noticed people have encountered is due to not reading the instructions fully. So make sure you read the OP word by word.

2- If you miss a step or mess up something go back to installing Kingroot and start over from the beginning.

3- If instant video or some other Amazon app doesn't work it is because you should run them at least once prior to rooting the phone.

4- Finally, I noticed that with an AT&T sim card in the phone Kingroot fails (why am I not surprised?) Either a reboot occurs in the middle of rooting or it completes the cycle without accomplishing root. If that occurs, my best advice is to change your phone company. If that fails, you may need to factory reset your phone or even install the firmware from scratch and try again without the sim card.

Attachments

• root.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 49,799
Last edited:

hydromän

Sep 4, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Okay. Working. I tried it 2 Times because i get in troubles with the SuperSu App.

After First Time i Cant open it anymore after adb shell.

Second Time i installed SuperSu, but after adbshell the app was gone (!?) - but i installed it again with adb shell before reboot. Now SuperSu is Working.

And now tell me how to change the FireOS to a Android Status Bar with Notifications, and youre my Hero ;D

Last edited:

Viperise152

Feb 12, 2007
Chicago
** DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DEVELOPER. I DO THIS AS A HOBBY AND SHARE MY FINDINGS IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE FINDS THEM USEFUL. **
** THIS WORKED ON MY DEVICE BUT IT MAY NOT WORK ON YOURS. APPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK **​

Requirements

The success of this method depends on following the procedure very carefully. So read the instructions and make sure you understand every step before you try it.

Procedure

1- Install and run Kingroot 4.0. You can google and download it or you can use the one in the attached zip file. When Kingroot runs it is all in Chinese, but basically you need to be connected to the internet for it to work. It will do its thing and show progress up to 100% after which you can exit the program. Now your phone is rooted. The following steps replaces the Kinguser with SuperSU.

2- Unzip the attached file in your adb directory and then open an adb terminal and make sure the PC can see your phone (you can check that by typing adb devices). Then type the following:

Code:
adb shell

3- In the shell that you get type the following and make sure you give the permission when the phone prompts you:

Code:
su

Code:
cat /data/local/tmp/su >/system/xbin/daemonsu && chmod 0755 /system/xbin/daemonsu
cat /data/local/tmp/busybox >/system/xbin/busybox && chmod 0755 /system/xbin/busybox
daemonsu -d &

The key is to keep this session running while you continue with the rest, so be careful with typos and monitor this window for any errors.

5- At this point, leave the adb terminal window running and go to your phone, open the Kinguser app, open settings, Root authorization setting, and Remove Root permission .

6- Uninstall the other two Kingroot programs that are still on your phone (KingRoot and the other one with the blue icon and Chinese text under it).

Code:
rm /system/xbin/ku.sud
rm /system/xbin/supolicy
rm /system/bin/rt.sh
rm /system/kroot_*
rm /sdcard/kr-stock-conf
rm -rf /sdcard/Kingroot
rm -rf /system/usr/iku

8- Install superSU (from the attached file) on your phone, run it, and let it update the SU binary.

Hint: It is a good idea to disable Amazon device client platform, DCP platform contracts, and two apps called System Updates in Amazon settings.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but everything works till I get to rm stage of step 7. Im getting 255 read only file system error. Any ideas what I did wrong. since it didnt work to I have reinstall Kingroot and start over or do I start over from the adb shell part?

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but everything works till I get to rm stage of step 7. Im getting 255 read only file system error. Any ideas what I did wrong. since it didnt work to I have reinstall Kingroot and start over or do I start over from the adb shell part?
Do you close the adb window between steps 4 and 7? Step 7 should be continued in the window that you left open in step 4.

Do you get any error message after you type each command in part 4?

To redo the process you should install the Kingroot again and stay overt from the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viperise152

Viperise152

Feb 12, 2007
Chicago
I did not get any errors for part 4 just when I get to the first rm command in part 7, I'm getting (rm failed for /system/xbin/ku.sud, Read-only file system). Is that normal?
FIXED!!!
Ok i was not following this step properly "open the Kinguser app, open settings, Root authorization setting, and Remove Root permission ." I was not doing through that Root authorization setting which was a few slots down.

Last edited:
Reactions: najoor

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles

Please copy and paste the entire content of the adb terminal up to the point that you get the error message and send it to me via pm so I can debug it.

Viperise152

Feb 12, 2007
Chicago
Please copy and paste the entire content of the adb terminal up to the point that you get the error message and send it to me via pm so I can debug it.
I still had this page open while I was giving it another go. I figured out what i was doing wrong. The " open the Kinguser app,open settings, Root authorization setting, and remove root permission." part I was just opening Kinguser settings and hitting the big center button turning it off. Did'nt realize i had to go down a few slots to the Root Authorization Setting then hit the Remove Root Permission. After i did it right Kinguser disappeared unistalled the other 2 apps. Everything after that work fine then. Thanks for trying to help me out. Maybe my confusion will help others.

Last edited:

funkadelik

Sep 11, 2008
I still had this page open while I was giving it another go. I figured out what i was doing wrong. The " open the Kinguser app,open settings, Root authorization setting, and remove root permission." part I was just opening Kinguser settings and hitting the big center button turning it off. Did'nt realize i had to go down a few slots to the Root Authorization Setting then hit the Remove Root Permission. After i did it right Kinguser disappeared unistalled the other 2 apps. Everything after that work fine then. Thanks for trying to help me out. Maybe my confusion will help others.

Thanks for updating with what you were doing wrong. I was having the same issue. Cheers!

veti

May 12, 2015
thx for the guide.

can you explain why it is better to have SuperSu. What is wrong with kingsu?

najoor

Mar 11, 2014
Los Angeles
thx for the guide.

King user might even be a better SU than superSU, who knows? The problem is that we don't know kinguser. We don't know who wrote it, we don't know what kind of information it gathers, we don't know if it puts a backdoor exploit in your OS, etc. Super SU is a tool that we have used for years. We know exactly what supersu does and who wrote it. We can even communicate with him on xda. Chainfire, the author of SuperSU even has a weblog that he often uses to talk about the intricacies of designing a tool like superSU. There is almost nothing unknown or suspicious about superSU.

On the contrary kingroot/kinguser seems to be intrusive and sneaky. The first thing it does after rooting your phone is to install some random app on it that has nothing to do with rooting and at best I can describe it as bloat. It saves files and folders all over your phone for no apparent reason. Then, it does everything it can to prevent you from removing it. In effect, the only straightforward way to remove it is to give up root, and even then it very suspiciously leaves some executable files behind that God knows if they are sleeper cells or what. To devise the procedure in the OP I had to go through an extensive search to find every little carp that king user has planted into the system and truth be told I will not be surprised if I discover more hidden gems left behind.

Last edited:

rster

Dec 12, 2010
The corrected op guide worked great. I had to tap a blue rectangle at two different times to get kingroot to finish (get to a screen that had 100% on it), but other than that, everything worked.

Lianju7

Oct 15, 2014
King user might even be a better SU than superSU, who knows? The problem is that we don't know kinguser. We don't know who wrote it, we don't know what kind of information it gathers, we don't know if it puts a backdoor exploit in your OS, etc. Super SU is a tool that we have used for years. We know exactly what supersu does and who wrote it. We can even communicate with him on xda. Chainfire, the author of SuperSU even has a weblog that he often uses to talk about the intricacies of designing a tool like superSU. There is almost nothing unknown or suspicious about superSU.

On the contrary kingroot/kinguser seems to be intrusive and sneaky. The first thing it does after rooting your phone is to install some random app on it that has nothing to do with rooting and at best I can describe it as bloat. It saves files and folders all over your phone for no apparent reason. Then, it does everything it can to prevent you from removing it. In effect, the only straightforward way to remove it is to give up root, and even then it very suspiciously leaves some executable files behind that God knows if they are sleeper cells or what. To devise the procedure in the OP I had to go through an extensive search to find every little carp that king user has planted into the system and truth be told I will not be surprised if I discover more hidden gems left behind.

Thank you _so_ much for your effort. I was doing some research too in advance prior to installing kingroot, but didn't get near as much useful information. Sniffing the network connection for any suspicious behaviour via wireshark and my router wasn't successful at all, as they use https.
I came up with the idea that they could have patched some of the system-apps to load an payload even after you tried to "delete everything"(tm). I am currently checking the MD5 and SHA-1 checksum of a identical, second Firephone without root.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Also the Mods should pin your post. I totally agree that KingRoot uses intrusive behaviour - as it seems mostly for statistics, but anyway - and should be replaced with the method described in the OP.

EDIT: The MD5 checksum of an unrooted firephone is identical. The System apps might not have been replaced or touched at all. I didn't got a easy chance to check all apps with the SHA-1 checksum though.

Last edited:

amf100

Jan 30, 2011
Hmph! That's too bad. I wasn't with my fire phone to check for myself. The internet is so weird lol. Why make a whole page with instructions for nothing? Ugh lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** This method is designed for Amazon fire phone. Do not use it on other devices unless you are familiar with Android file system and are able to apply proper modifications. **​

This procedure installs superSU root binaries and busybox on your system.

Requirements

Procedure

Code:
    adb shell

Code:
    su

Code:
    daemonsu -d &

5- At this point, leave the adb terminal window running and go to your phone, open the Kinguser app, open settings (the wheel at the top right corner of the screen), Root authorization setting, and Remove Root permission. The app will self-uninstall.

Code:
    rm /system/xbin/ku.sud
    rm /system/xbin/supolicy

rm /system/bin/rt.sh
    rm /system/bin/shipclean
    rm /system/bin/start-ssh

rm /system/etc/install_recovery.sh

rm -rf /system/usr/iku

rm /system/kroot_*
    rm /sdcard/kr-stock-conf
    rm -rf /sdcard/Kingroot

rm -rf /data/data-lib/com.kingroot.RushRoot
    rm -rf /data/data-lib/com.kingroot.kinguser
    rm -rf /data/data-lib/king

Hint: It is a good idea to disable Amazon device client platform, DCP platform contracts, and two apps called System Updates in Amazon settings. They are responsible for regular updates, constant chatter with Amazon servers, and possible patching of your root exploit. Also disable Kinesis service which is responsible for major battery drain and heating. You will find it under settings, display, configure motion and gesture settings. Disable all.

Troubleshooting

1- Most of the problems that I noticed people have encountered is due to not reading the instructions fully. So make sure you read the OP word by word.

2- If you miss a step or mess up something go back to installing Kingroot and start over from the beginning.

3- If instant video or some other Amazon app doesn't work it is because you should run them at least once prior to rooting the phone.

4- Finally, I noticed that with an AT&T sim card in the phone Kingroot fails (why am I not surprised?) Either a reboot occurs in the middle of rooting or it completes the cycle without accomplishing root. If that occurs, my best advice is to change your phone company. If that fails, you may need to factory reset your phone or even install the firmware from scratch and try again without the sim card.
    Rooted with MobileGo from WonderShare

I just got my Amazon Fire phone over the weekend. I took part in the one day Amazon sale last week where it was listed for $169.00 US. That included a year of Amazon prime. Not a bad price for an unlocked no-contract phone!

So as part of my new Android device ritual I wanted to root the phone. I read and re-read all the threads about rooting the Fire phone and I didn't want to go through the KingFire route. Too risky for my tastes. I picked a less risky venture by using WonderShare MobileGo.

This link pointed me to it: handytechplus.com/easiest-root-amazon-fire-phone/

I saw other postings in some blogs that said that approach didn't work, but since MobileGo was now a free app, I decided to try it just for the heck of it.

It worked much to my surprise, to say the least.

A bit about my setup. I am running a Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit desktop. My Fire phone is at version 4.6.1 with an AT&T sim card in it. I had already put the Google play store on it using the non-root option mentioned in another thread on this website.

I had a devil of a time getting my USB adb connection to work though. It turned out to be the USB drivers, of course. I downloaded the Android Studio and followed the directions at developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone/docs/setup to get the drivers. There may be a quicker way to do it, but that's the path I followed.

Once I got the adb connection to work, then I installed MobileGo from WonderShare's web site on my desktop. I connected my Fire phone to the USB port, and MobileGo saw the phone no problem and installed the MobileGo app on the phone itself. I then clicked on the Super Toolkit on the desktop application menu and hit the One Click Root option and followed the instructions. Easy as pie.

My MobileGo application on my desktop then crashed during the first attempt at rooting. I panicked at first, but I checked my phone and it was OK. I then re-ran MobileGo and did the One Click Root again to make sure it took, and this time it came back successful. SuperSU was installed on the phone. I had already bought SuperSU Pro, and that worked as well. Binaries updated successfully. Root also survives reboot.

I then removed MobileGo from my desktop and phone, as well as L5 on the phone. Don't need that stuff hanging around now that I'm rooted.

I'm not sure if this post belongs in a separate thread, but I just wanted to share my experience.
    thx for the guide.

Requirements

Procedure

Code:
    adb shell

Code:
    su

Code:
    daemonsu -d &

5- At this point, leave the adb terminal window running and go to your phone, open the Kinguser app, open settings, Root authorization setting, and Remove Root permission .

Code:
    rm /system/xbin/ku.sud
    rm /system/xbin/supolicy
    rm /system/bin/rt.sh
    rm /system/kroot_*
    rm /sdcard/kr-stock-conf
    rm -rf /sdcard/Kingroot
    rm -rf /system/usr/iku

Hint: It is a good idea to disable Amazon device client platform, DCP platform contracts, and two apps called System Updates in Amazon settings.

For those who doesn't own a pc or laptop or Mac.

You can also use kingroot to root.

Open the file manager in your device. Make sure it's has root explorer.

Copy and paste the unzip su and busybox to /data/local/tmp

Install Android terminal in your device and type su

From there on, type in everything bro najoor instructed

Install the superuser.apk
    Install the binary and it should be successful.

No pc or laptop needed. Every step just by using your Android phone.