FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][NO ROOT] Fire TV system apps hacked to get system permissions

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By ranjeet choudhary, Member on 24th April 2018, 01:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
ADB disable or uninstall fails for system apps in new builds.
install this apk to block installing new update from amazon. it will still download the ota bin file for you to experiment, but the ota install will fail as the code to install bin is removed.

For anyone interested to try other exploits
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fir...stick-t3780621
Attached Files
File Type: apk DeviceSoftwareOTA_blocked.apk - [Click for QR Code] (966.4 KB, 198 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranjeet choudhary For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ranjeet choudhary Ad-Free

12th May 2018, 05:13 PM |#2  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I'm a little confused and was hoping you could clarify. Which update does this block? And are you saying the newest update has hidden or disabled developer features / ADB option?
26th July 2018, 11:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
The uninstall / disable parameter doesn't work on newest fireTV devices, which means you cannot prevent newer fireTV devices from automatically updating

This over-writes the existing softwareOTA.apk, instead of uninstalling/disabling.
The modifications present in this modded version disable the firmware update functionality from the original softwareOTA.apk

--
@ranjeet choudhary, can we get an equivalent dummy apk to disable com.amazon.tv.launcher?

I tried to do it myself with the janus exploit, but it doesn't work on my windows device. Looks like I will have to install Linux/Mac for further testing.

I am trying to modify com/amazon/tv/launcher/AppKeyService.smali
The Following User Says Thank You to freshjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift freshjr Ad-Free
8th August 2018, 04:50 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
redacted
8th August 2018, 04:52 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddymon

You likely don't want to do that until you have full root. The Amazon Settings app is built into the launcher on FireTV Stick Gen 2 devices. Killing the launcher will will any access to settings unless you want to edit everything via adb .

The important settings can be accessed via confireator as they are separate from the launcher.

Really all you need is WiFi, Bluetooth, and Adb.
App uninstall can be triggered from the new launcher.

As you say, adb is a backup plan for anyone that messes up too bad.
8th August 2018, 05:35 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjr

The important settings can be accessed via confireator as they are separate from the launcher.

Really all you need is WiFi, Bluetooth, and Adb.
App uninstall can be triggered from the new launcher.

As you say, adb is a backup plan for anyone that messes up too bad.

I'll have to check out confireator.
I've been forced to manually add permissions via adb for Accessibility Service and certain permissions Amazon doesn't want you using (SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW for overlays, for example) in order to even use CetusPlay on the device.
If confireator can give me a GUI for that, I'm SOLD.
8th August 2018, 05:37 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

I've been forced to manually add permissions via adb for Accessibility Service and certain permissions Amazon doesn't want you using (SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW for overlays, for example) in order to even use CetusPlay on the device.

If you have a gutted amazon launcher, mind sharing?

I don’t care if you only got rid of home button or if you prevented it from executing its startup process so it fails to launch entirely, it has to go.
8th August 2018, 05:50 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

If you have a gutted amazon launcher, mind sharing?

I don’t care if you only got rid of home button or if you prevented it from executing its startup process so it fails to launch entirely, it has to go.

I don't have that. Sorry.

Try Launcher Hijack V3. It will replace your launcher without needing to actually replace it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...ck-v2-t3561026
8th August 2018, 05:52 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

I don't have that. Sorry.

Try Launcher Hijack V3. It will replace your launcher without needing to actually replace it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...ck-v2-t3561026

with the janus exploit we can now actually replace it without needing to get rid of it.

I just got a linux distro up and running so I can try executing the script. Windows is a nightmare.
8th August 2018, 06:50 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Confireator works!! I can finally replace the FireTV Cube launcher!! Thank you!

Edit: Still no access to the Accessibility service settings tho. Oh well, was worth a try!
9th August 2018, 07:18 PM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:

The uninstall / disable parameter doesn't work on newest fireTV devices, which means you cannot prevent newer fireTV devices from automatically updating

This over-writes the existing softwareOTA.apk, instead of uninstalling/disabling.
The modifications present in this modded version disable the firmware update functionality from the original softwareOTA.apk

--
@ranjeet choudhary, can we get an equivalent dummy apk to disable com.amazon.tv.launcher?

I tried to do it myself with the janus exploit, but it doesn't work on my windows device. Looks like I will have to install Linux/Mac for further testing.

I am trying to modify com/amazon/tv/launcher/AppKeyService.smali

you can try this https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...2&postcount=12
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)