FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FireTV 2 (sloane) Unbrick Image

1,592 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,979

By rbox, Recognized Developer on 12th February 2016, 06:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This will help you unbrick a bricked FireTV 2. You must download the following:
Extract all 3 zip files to the same directory.

You must decide if you want to use unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. Using unbrick.img, it should take about 30 minutes. Using unbrick+ramdisk.img it could take up to 2 hours. You can only use unbrick.img if you have an sdcard. If you have an sdcard, place ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma in the root directory of it.

Run unbrick_firetv2.bat for Windows or unbrick_firetv2.sh for Linux or OSX.

First, it will ask you which file you want to use, unbrick.img or unbrick+ramdisk.img. You must type the name of the image you want to use.

Make sure the USB cable is connected and turn on the FireTV 2.

Then it will start reading from the FireTV. Then it will prompt you with a warning:

Code:
No target file specified.  Is this a partition image?
If this is not, DO NOT CONTINUE, otherwise press 'y' to continue.
Write partition image? <y|n>
Type a 'y' and hit enter.

It should start writing. Eventually it will finish. If you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, make sure it is plugged in and power cycle the Fire TV. It should skip the bootmenu and take you straight to recovery. If for some reason the USB keyboard doesn't work, unplug and replug it. It should start working.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]

12th February 2016, 12:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

This will help you unbrick a bricked FireTV 2. You must download the following:

Extract all 3 zip files to the same directory.

You must decide if you want to use unbrick.img or unbrick+recovery.img. Using unbrick.img, it should take about 30 minutes. Using unbrick+recovery.img it could take up to 2 hours. You can only use unbrick.img if you have an sdcard. If you have an sdcard, place ramdisk-recovery.cpio.lzma in the root directory of it.

Run unbrick_firetv2.bat for Windows or unbrick_firetv2.sh for Linux or OSX.

First, it will ask you which file you want to use, unbrick.img or unbrick+recovery.img. You must type the name of the image you want to use.

Make sure the USB cable is connected and turn on the FireTV 2.

Then it will start reading from the FireTV. Then it will prompt you with a warning:

Code:
No target file specified.  Is this a partition image?
If this is not, DO NOT CONTINUE, otherwise press 'y' to continue.
Write partition image? <y|n>
Type a 'y' and hit enter.

It should start writing. Eventually it will finish. If you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, make sure it is plugged in and power cycle the Fire TV. It should skip the bootmenu and take you straight to recovery. If for some reason the USB keyboard doesn't work, unplug and replug it. It should start working.

Awesome rbox! I see you've been busy...Really appreciate everything you do for us Fire TV folks.
The Following User Says Thank You to dk1keith For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dk1keith Ad-Free
12th February 2016, 01:49 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 330

Donate to Me
More
Awesome work as always!
12th February 2016, 03:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you mate... Your great work made my day and got out of bricked state !!!!!
Got to recovery and flashed your rooted 5.0.31 and rebooted to perfectly working aftv2 + rooted .. Good job as always mate , thanks

One question, could I just flash the rooted 5.0.4 from recovery or should I do something else??
12th February 2016, 04:15 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samykoka

Thank you mate... Your great work made my day and got out of bricked state !!!!!
Got to recovery and flashed your rooted 5.0.31 and rebooted to perfectly working aftv2 + rooted .. Good job as always mate , thanks

One question, could I just flash the rooted 5.0.4 from recovery or should I do something else??

You can flash whatever version you want...
12th February 2016, 05:56 PM |#6  

More
rbox, looks like amazon sent me a bricked fire tv, while im at possession, i figured a i play around with it.
when i got it it was stuck to amazon white amazon logo,
so i waited for it for like 30 minutes to boot, but nothing changes... then with recent root method (aftv gen 2)
i figured i install this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...7#post65265240
i was able get to recovery!
and applied pre rooted firmware, but after completion,
i think its beyond bricked..
no screen, my led flash drive does not even flash or blink anymore when i put it on boot...
i can still handshake still apply the unbrick method
my question is after applying this brick.img
would i suppose to get a screen? and boot up
but still the same no screen nothing... not even white amazon logo...

or this is done..

thanks
12th February 2016, 06:16 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffung

rbox, looks like amazon sent me a bricked fire tv, while im at possession, i figured a i play around with it.
when i got it it was stuck to amazon white amazon logo,
so i waited for it for like 30 minutes to boot, but nothing changes... then with recent root method (aftv gen 2)
i figured i install this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...7#post65265240
i was able get to recovery!
and applied pre rooted firmware, but after completion,
i think its beyond bricked..
no screen, my led flash drive does not even flash or blink anymore when i put it on boot...
i can still handshake still apply the unbrick method
my question is after applying this brick.img
would i suppose to get a screen? and boot up
but still the same no screen nothing... not even white amazon logo...

or this is done..

thanks

After using unbrick.img, if you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, you should get recovery. If not, then there is something bad the hardware.
12th February 2016, 06:27 PM |#8  
Flag New Haven, CT
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Many thanks, rbox -- unbrick_firetv2.bat worked for me in bootcamp. Selected unbrick+ramdisk.img, then rebooted into TWRP. Initially when I installed prerooted 5.0.5_r2, setup gave me a screen (after remote pairing and language selection) that it was checking for updates. The setup then halted with an error window that it could not connect to Amazon's server, and that I should power off and reset the AFTV. I then flashed prerooted 5.0.4_r2, completed the initial setup, and reflashed prerooted 5.0.5_r2 (which let me get around the update error).
Again, thanks for all your work!!
The Following User Says Thank You to vrl2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vrl2 Ad-Free
12th February 2016, 06:42 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

After using unbrick.img, if you put the ramdisk on the sdcard, you should get recovery. If not, then there is something bad the hardware.

i wonder what caused that bricked.. , ( well it was already bricked, when amazon send it to me it was stuck at white amazon logo, then only when i applied the pre rooted firmware, thats when it stop showing screens from there..wouldn't it fix the problem already since i was able to get to recovery.....
id try the sd card 1 last thing il probably go to walmart and try that, if nothing fix it i guess its total beyond brick..
12th February 2016, 07:24 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi,
thank you very much for your great work @rbox!
Just a note:
I think, in the bash script, there is a "2" in the last line that doesn't belong there?
And there is a "unbrick+ramdisk.img" file, but no "unbrick+recovery.img" in the zip container. Some might get confused by that...

But everything works fine (using ramdisk)!

thx
12th February 2016, 07:29 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeoo111111

Hi,
thank you very much for your great work @rbox!
Just a note:
I think, in the bash script, there is a "2" in the last line that doesn't belong there?
And there is a "unbrick+ramdisk.img" file, but no "unbrick+recovery.img" in the zip container. Some might get confused by that...

But everything works fine (using ramdisk)!

thx

Thanks. I fixed it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)