FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FireTV Stick (montoya) TWRP Recovery

1,609 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,100

By rbox, Recognized Developer on 19th December 2016, 03:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
It's finally here! TWRP recovery for the FireTV Stick. Most likely, I will not be updating this thread with new releases, as the prerooted ROMs will always contain the latest version. This thread is just here so people can initially get TWRP installed.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

The Stick is much harder to recover from than an unlocked Fire TV 1 or a Fire TV 2 that can run preloader commands. Please be very wary of the instructions!

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, figure that out first.

Installation
  1. This requires that you are rooted.
  2. Copy the montoya_recovery_vX.zip file to /sdcard
  3. From within adb shell, use su to become root, and run this command (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded)
    Code:
    sh /data/media/0/montoya_recovery_vX.zip
  4. Reboot

Notes
This includes bootmenu. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. For the time being, it does not support USB keyboards, so you will need to use the mouse emulator in adb to interact with it. To get adb, just plug the stick in to your computer. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

For the time being, there is no wifi, although I have explored it and it is possible, just need to work out some details.

To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them.

Installing zips
You can push zips to /sdcard or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.

Source Code
You can find the source code here:
https://github.com/androidrbox/firetv-2ndinit
https://github.com/androidrbox/andro...table_recovery

WARNINGS
  • It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
    Code:
    killall recovery
    to restart it
  • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me.

Changelog and Downloads:
  • December 18, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: bd69911e9eeb37d9d6ebafe5302db5fe)
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]

19th December 2016, 08:05 PM |#3  
Flag Sunderland
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Dont want to seem stupid here but i cant make out how im supposed to select recovery from the boot menu.
I have just recently re installed my windows system and im quite sure i have adb installed correctly but cant seem to connect to the stick (with usb).
thanks for any pointers.
19th December 2016, 08:07 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnyuk

Dont want to seem stupid here but i cant make out how im supposed to select recovery from the boot menu.
I have just recently re installed my windows system and im quite sure i have adb installed correctly but cant seem to connect to the stick (with usb).
thanks for any pointers.

Does adb work while the stick is booted? For windows, you have to screw around with drivers. Otherwise, get a real OS, and then it "just works".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2016, 08:52 PM |#5  
Flag Sunderland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

Does adb work while the stick is booted? For windows, you have to screw around with drivers. Otherwise, get a real OS, and then it "just works".

No its not working while windows is booted either, I do suspect its adb driver issues but for the life of me cant find the drivers I had and used previously.
Im now using Windows 7 64bit as I downgraded from windows 10 64bit as its rubbish.
So from my understanding while its booting and on the selection screen I will open cmd and ADB connect through usb to the stick and then use the virtual abd mouse?
If so can you elaborate on how the mouse is launched?
If I get chance later im going to try find the correct driver I need (ill search and try numerous drivers I have to hit the correct one after a while)
Thanks for the pointers
19th December 2016, 08:57 PM |#6  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No its not working while windows is booted either, I do suspect its adb driver issues but for the life of me cant find the drivers I had and used previously.
Im now using Windows 7 64bit as I downgraded from windows 10 64bit as its rubbish.
So from my understanding while its booting and on the selection screen I will open cmd and ADB connect through usb to the stick and then use the virtual abd mouse?
If so can you elaborate on how the mouse is launched?
If I get chance later im going to try find the correct driver I need (ill search and try numerous drivers I have to hit the correct one after a while)
Thanks for the pointers

While the bootmenu is showing, just type 'adb shell' then at the shell type 'mouse'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2016, 10:04 PM |#7  
Flag Sunderland

More
So i now found the correct drivers and it now connects to Firestick while its booted up but will not connect when Firestick is booting on the Recovery menu, any ideas ? thanks
19th December 2016, 10:06 PM |#8  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So i now found the correct drivers and it now connects to Firestick while its booted up but will not connect when Firestick is booting on the Recovery menu, any ideas ? thanks

It's possible the device id is different while in bootmenu vs when it's booted. I can take a look tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2016, 10:58 PM |#9  
Flag Sunderland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

It's possible the device id is different while in bootmenu vs when it's booted. I can take a look tonight.

Excellent.
If I get it up and running I will post how I managed it.
19th December 2016, 11:27 PM |#10  
Flag Sioux City
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Is it possible to root Fire Tv Stick gen 1 on 5.2.1.1 or the New Fire Tv Stick Gen 2. That would be sweet and Do you think its safe to use Xposed on fire tv stick 1. I want to install Google Play but Do NOT want to get bricked.
20th December 2016, 04:18 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,402

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Doge

Do you think its safe to use Xposed on fire tv stick 1. I want to install Google Play but Do NOT want to get bricked.

I have been using Xposed / rbox mods & YouTube AdAway on 5.0.5.1 with the help of sconnyuk's guide since September with no problems. No idea on Google Play but you can disable Xposed easily now with custom recovery.

Thanks @rbox !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)