FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to root the Amazon Fire TV 2 box running latest software version 5.2.6.8

163 posts
Thanks Meter: 53

Post Reply Email Thread
I can confirm that this process works on Update v5.2.6.8. Any other version beyond that your mileage may vary. "ADB debugging" and "Apps from Unknown Sources" should be enabled. I would like to thank the following members because without their resources this walkthrough wouldn't have been possible: @diplomatic for the exploit, @el7145 for leaving a cookie crumb trail of clues within his comments in this thread which I had to follow like the yellow brick road in order to repeat his success, @rbox for the custom recovery and pre-rooted image, and @AFTVnews.com because if it hadn't been for your article I probably would've never gotten my AFTV device rooted in time before the 5.2.6.9 OTA update. Oh, I almost forgot... and thanks @Chainfire for SuperSU . And also @teamfresno for the advice.

ACHIEVING TEMPORARY ROOT PERMISSIONS
1. Download and install ADB on your PC.
2. Download "mtk-su_r4.zip" and extract "arm64" folder in ADB install directory (C:\adb).
3. Run command below:
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.XX
(IP address of your Fire TV device)
4. Transfer mtk-su to your /data/local/tmp folder:
Code:
adb push C:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
5. Open an adb shell:
Code:
adb shell
6. Change to your tmp directory:
Code:
cd /data/local/tmp
7. Add executable permissions to the binary:
Code:
chmod 755 mtk-su
8. Run the exploit:
Code:
./mtk-su
NOTE – The following line should display:
New UID/GID: 0/e
9. Ensure that mtk-su succeeded in setting selinux to permissive by typing the following command:
Code:
getenforce
INSTALLING TWRP & SLOANE
1. Download rbox's TWRP custom recovery and the latest pre-rooted ROM from your PC and copy it to the root of a USB stick [or microSD card].
2. Connect the USB stick [or microSD] to your AFTV2.
3. Change to USB Storage directory:
Code:
cd /storage/usbotg/
NOTE – If recovery is on microSD
Code:
cd /storage/sdcard1
4. Run the zip file. This will automatically run SU:
Code:
sh /storage/usbotg/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
If recovery is on microSD
Code:
sh /storage/sdcard1/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
NOTE – It should print out a following lines:
Extracting unzip...
Remounting /system read-write...
Extracting...
Remounting /system read-only...
5. Reboot to Recovery:
Ctrl+C (closes out previously ran script)
Code:
adb reboot recovery
6. Your AFTV2 should reboot to a black screen displaying the Amazon logo, followed by a prompt stating that the device will automatically restart, but if not to unplug then re-plug the power source. It will not automatically restart, but DO NOT unplug the device yet.

7. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a USB stick then you will need to disconnect it from the AFTV2, and connect a USB hub with at least 2 ports to the AFTV2, and connect both a USB keyboard and the USB stick to the hub at this time. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a microSD then connect a keyboard to the empty USB port at this time.
8. Now unplug then re-plug the power source and you will be presented with the TWRP splash screen.
9. At the boot menu, press the RIGHT arrow key on the USB keyboard to boot into TWRP recovery.
NOTE – whatever you do DON'T let your AFTV2 idle for too long on the initial recovery boot menu screen or it will time out thus restarting, requiring you to repeat the prior steps.
10. Use the arrow keys to select the "Install" in TWRP.
11. "Select Storage", and choose the location where you stored the pre-rooted ROM.
12. Select "Swipe to Confirm Flash" to start the installation.

13. Select "Reboot System" once the file has finished installing in order to restart the AFTV2.

For those feeling a little adventurous/ambitious then feel free to follow this guide created by @g422 as he discuses where to go from here by delving into other avenues to truly tap into the power of your AFTV2 such as what's "Xposed" and the benefits it offers for rooting your device, and also how to backup your current Fire OS install using TWRP.

Also shouts out to @PhoenixMark who created a guide for Mac users based on my write-up as how to enable root here.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to urbanman2004 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift urbanman2004 Ad-Free

7th March 2019, 11:04 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
This will work if we have a bricked device stuck on the Amazon logo?
7th March 2019, 01:00 PM |#3  
Flag brooklyn, N.Y
Thanks Meter: 167

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for this! can't wait till I get home and finish the process with your guide. Other guides had my head spinning. Achieved temp root but no mention of pushing super su.
7th March 2019, 10:32 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Oh wow, looks like that exploit spread like wildfire!!

Wonder if anybody will see if this works for the firestickv2 (I don't trust myself to crack the case of mine open lol)
7th March 2019, 10:51 PM |#5  
Flag brooklyn, N.Y
Thanks Meter: 167

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ricuaguerrero

Thanks for this! can't wait till I get home and finish the process with your guide. Other guides had my head spinning. Achieved temp root but no mention of pushing super su.

Worked like a charm on my fire tv 2, but I did notice voice control seems to be broken after achieving permanent root.

Anyone else experienced this????
7th March 2019, 11:33 PM |#6  
Flag Akron
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Thank you for putting this guide together! Also thanks to @rbox for twrp and the rom!Finally got root on my Fire TV 2!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_181843.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	4718781

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk
8th March 2019, 12:02 AM |#7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
worked flawlessly on Amazon fire tv 2, the only thing i would say about the instruction for me was that usbotg was not recognised I only had sdcard0 (int storage) sdcard1 (sd card) apart from that great job thank you

ps there was an update waiting to install from amazon which i blocked, perhaps they are patching already
8th March 2019, 01:34 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rock Town

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTINMARMER

This will work if we have a bricked device stuck on the Amazon logo?

Idk. I think we're pretty much in the same boat now: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=197
8th March 2019, 01:36 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rock Town

Donate to Me
More
Delete... duplicate comment
8th March 2019, 01:37 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rock Town

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Not a problem. Just giving back where I can
8th March 2019, 01:39 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rock Town

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Worked like a charm on my fire tv 2, but I did notice voice control seems to be broken after achieving permanent root.

Anyone else experienced this????

I don't use voice activation, voice assistants, etc. as a preference. I'm just paranoid like that
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)