[SCRIPT] [TOOL] Fire TV Firmware restore, ota blocker, root, CWM Recovery, Boot Menu

Search This thread

tgamer

Dec 30, 2008
flashed to 51.1.4.1_514013920 fixed with no issues at all..the transfer did take some time to transfer but with some patience worked great! Downloaded tool from PlayStore to show me the sizes of the directories to remove any of the large files that were transferred taking up space. I went from 5.5gb down to 3.5gb during the process. Now I am back to 5.5 after deleting the .zip and flash packages transferred over. Great tool!!

Reactions: Tomsgt

Tomsgt

flashed to 51.1.4.1_514013920 fixed with no issues at all..the transfer did take some time to transfer but with some patience worked great! Downloaded tool from PlayStore to show me the sizes of the directories to remove any of the large files that were transferred taking up space. I went from 5.5gb down to 3.5gb during the process. Now I am back to 5.5 after deleting the .zip and flash packages transferred over. Great tool!!
cool glad you like it.

Hag77

Feb 28, 2011
Sorry if this is a dumb question- but it says one of the tools included here is to to root the device- yet one of the prerequisites listed is to be rooted and have busybox? I was lucky enough to find one at the store today that is able to be rooted. I haven't even plugged it in yet. Can I use your tool to root it? Thanks

Also- looks like main server is down- I downloaded v5 from the backup server but winrar is telling me "unexpected end of archive".. Tried downloading twice

Last edited:

Tomsgt

Sorry if this is a dumb question- but it says one of the tools included here is to to root the device- yet one of the prerequisites listed is to be rooted and have busybox? I was lucky enough to find one at the store today that is able to be rooted. I haven't even plugged it in yet. Can I use your tool to root it? Thanks

Also- looks like main server is down- I downloaded v5 from the backup server but winrar is telling me "unexpected end of archive".. Tried downloading twice
Sorry yeah my download site is down today problem with the fiber line at the host site. But it will be back up soon. Next the you have to be on a older firmware version for root to work and you cant downgrade unless you have root. That being said if you have a device with the old firmware then before you turn it one and it auto updates you. Make sure you find a way to block the ota updates from happening then you will be able to root and use this tool fully.

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America
lot of these I still had to do on my manual self, but at least it was nice to have the batch file to look at for example of how to. -- maybe it's not quite universal, doesn't automagically work on every level/OS of every machine?

I had fail (using V6) on:
- busybox install fail on "root" option due to windows not liking space in filename (but towelroot and SU installed ok)
- Firmware Downgrade/restore to 51.1.0.2 (had to do by hand, but the steps were nearly identical to the script...) ((dnno for some reason I had to go create /cache/recovery/command manually - the script constantly failed at that point))
- unlock the bootloader - again, not sure what went wrong. I got the white amazon screen and serious worries lol. but at least it booted up again, and worked great when I did the manual steps.
- cwm recovery - again, dnno it just goes sideways. installed manually and is ok.
- bootmenu - ditto, stuck on white screen and worried. but rebooted ok and did manually and ok now.

but ennaways, thanks for the great effort and seems like it works good for most ppls!

Tomsgt

lot of these I still had to do on my manual self, but at least it was nice to have the batch file to look at for example of how to. -- maybe it's not quite universal, doesn't automagically work on every level/OS of every machine?

I had fail (using V6) on:
- busybox install fail on "root" option due to windows not liking space in filename (but towelroot and SU installed ok)
- Firmware Downgrade/restore to 51.1.0.2 (had to do by hand, but the steps were nearly identical to the script...) ((dnno for some reason I had to go create /cache/recovery/command manually - the script constantly failed at that point))
- unlock the bootloader - again, not sure what went wrong. I got the white amazon screen and serious worries lol. but at least it booted up again, and worked great when I did the manual steps.
- cwm recovery - again, dnno it just goes sideways. installed manually and is ok.
- bootmenu - ditto, stuck on white screen and worried. but rebooted ok and did manually and ok now.

but ennaways, thanks for the great effort and seems like it works good for most ppls!

it should have all work without any problems. i have tested this many times. maybe it was the network you were on or something. also did you extract the zip to your desktop? that normally helps

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America
dnno, I just unzipped to my Downloads folder (I downloaded the V6 .zip, although running the batch itself says V5 which I assumed was just a typo)

(and it might be safer not to use spaces in apk filenames, just in case. or escape the spaces.)

and I believe I tried everything in the right order:

root and SU, as mentioned, were fine, just had to adb-install busybox manually (and yes I did afterward actually-install busybox after installing the apk)

for 51.1.0.2, the echo into /cache/recovery/command failed every single time. but when I did the exact same thing using adb shell it was fine.

the bootloader, tbh I don't think I checked if it was successful (i.e. adb shell == root shell) after the initial reboot hanging (white amazon logo). I went ahead and did by hand just to be safe, and it didn't hang on reboot after that.

cwm - seemed to install ok, but didn't reboot into cwm, just regular boot.

bootmenu - about the same as the bootloader. rebooted, no menu, just stuck at white amazon logo. rebooted, no menu, luckily didn't hang. adb shell by hand, it worked after that.

not sure how it could be my network, everything (same exact commands from the script) worked perfectly by hand.

anyways, again, thank you - glad it works for most people, and glad to have all the necessary files and commands in one place :) :good:

ashsha7877

Jan 3, 2015
hi RJ & All,

Great Tools! Thank you for creating!!! I have used your tool to root many AFTV boxes without any major issues. However, my last box i rooted, blocked updates, i am still running stock version 51.1.0.1_user_510055620 and after installing CWM, AFTV will reboot but it does not boot in CWM recovery.

Any suggestion? I tired many things but without any success. I have towlroot, supersu and busybox installed.

I tried the factory reset thru AFTV setting and via the remote but aftv will reboot and will not go thru factory reset process, all my apps and everything is still there.

I even tried to start from scratch, I tried to re install amazon stock version but AFTV will reboot but will not install the firmware.

I also tried the "Alt + Print Scrn + i" using wired and wireless keyboard but i cant get into CWM. It would be awesome if there was an youtube video for this since other folks has report this "Alt + Print Scrn + i" does work but i just cant get it to work.

Do anyone have any suggestion.

p.s i have rooted at least 7 boxes before this so i am really :confused: wit this last box.

Thank you

Last edited:

thangluoi

May 4, 2007
Hi guys. Im an idiot... I believe I've bricked my fire TV.

I unlocked bootloader & installed busybox then boot menu. (Then Chose Option 7 - Fire TV Boot Menu) But I didn't install CWM and its restarted. Now all I get is the amazon logo on boot and nothing else.

Any ideas? I can always send it back to amazon, but I will lose root and a couple of extra functionalities I'd needed. (Keyboard control on phone etc, google play store & USB Playback).

Thinking I will just send it back to Amazon (sending a replacement out) - sell that for £60ish on ebay, and get an alternative Android TV Box. Any recommended ones? Wanting it to be atleast as fast and responsive as the Fire TV.

I got the same problem too. And I try every method like alt+print scr+i , doesn't work for me. Is there any other way to get this to worked?

Tomsgt

hi RJ & All,

Great Tools! Thank you for creating!!! I have used your tool to root many AFTV boxes without any major issues. However, my last box i rooted, blocked updates, i am still running stock version 51.1.0.1_user_510055620 and after installing CWM, AFTV will reboot but it does not boot in CWM recovery.

Any suggestion? I tired many things but without any success. I have towlroot, supersu and busybox installed.

I tried the factory reset thru AFTV setting and via the remote but aftv will reboot and will not go thru factory reset process, all my apps and everything is still there.

I even tried to start from scratch, I tried to re install amazon stock version but AFTV will reboot but will not install the firmware.

I also tried the "Alt + Print Scrn + i" using wired and wireless keyboard but i cant get into CWM. It would be awesome if there was an youtube video for this since other folks has report this "Alt + Print Scrn + i" does work but i just cant get it to work.

Do anyone have any suggestion.

p.s i have rooted at least 7 boxes before this so i am really :confused: wit this last box.

Thank you
i am pretty sure that you have to unlock the bootloader before installing CWM recovery this may be your problem

Waynehead69

Aug 24, 2008
Independence, MO
I just got my Fire Stick TV yesterday. Can this method be used on the stick TV or is there a different method somewhere? I apologize, I have looked, but can't seem to find anything else. Thanks

userxx

Mar 23, 2011
error running script

I am running firmware 51.1.1.0_user_511070220 at it's rooted and running busybox. I'm trying to downgrade with your script to firmware 51.1.0.2_user_510058520 with prompt #5. I do not have an unlocked bootloader or custom ROM. I have all the files in place. This is the message I am getting
" /system/bin/sh: can't create /cache/recovery/command: No such file or directory ".
The file update.zip is being pushed to the box but it fails. The screen after reboot say update was not successful. Any help? Am I missing a file directory? Maybe a bug?

Last edited:

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
Is this script still good? Also is it safe to use to install rbox's boot menu? I am rooted on ver. 51.1.40_514006420. And, I have internal storage moved to a ssd drive?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning use this tool at your own risk i am not responsible for you bricking your device
    That being said lets talk about what this does and how it works :)

see picture
    ftv.PNG
    View attachment 3072502

How it works
    1. your Fire TV Must have root and busy box installed plus adb network turned on for this to work
    2. click on 2 amazon fire tv firmware installer.bat
    3. follow script to install everything you will need
    4. if you are having trouble watch my youtube video

Tool Options
    1 Root device
    2. install fire tv launcher
    3. disable ota updates
    4. install cwm recovery
    5. firmware downgrade and restore to software version 51.1.0.2_user_510058520 for CWM recovery install
    6. unlock the bootloader
    7. Install custom boot menu
    8. Install Pre Rooted Stock rom update bueller-51.1.4.0_514006420

Newest versoin V6
    CHANGE LOG
    V1 release
    V2
    added root
    added firedtv launcher
    added ota disable
    cleaned up tool
    new interface
    V3
    total rework
    added CWM recovery
    added recovery restore as part of firmware restore
    V4
    added option 6 unlock the partially bootloader
    V5
    updated CWM recovery file
    added Boot menu install option to tool
    V5.1
    added full bootloader unlock to the tool
    V6
    Added option 8 install prerooted stock rom. flashing this file will update you to bueller-51.1.4.0_514006420

Link to script tool HERE
    Firmware is include in the Super Tool from V3 on
    Mirror backup server
    http://www.rootjunky.com/backup-file-server/

Video on how to use this script tool
    Amazon Fire TV Firmware installer Tool

CREDITS
    RBOX for all his work on the Fire TV
    http://www.aftvnews.com/ For some great post and tutorials that helped me make this tool
    I just setup a hotspot using my phone. You can put it in airplane mode before hand if you don't want to get updates.

Mine updated and I really don't care. It is working great for what I use it as.
    Script tool updated with lots of new stuff check it out HERE V2
    didn't work for me either says update unsuccessful. think it is because i did the disable ota before trying to downgrade. Anyway to enable the ota to try again?

sorry its been so long. I just updated this tool to a new version 3 and it has lots of new features and a cleaner downgrade and restore feature. please check it out
    maybe a stupid question but does this work on the latest fire TV+latest firmware?