FORUMS

Accurate network / speed test app? Fire stick

324 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By cognus, Senior Member on 13th February 2020, 04:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Looking for the smart guys here in XDA to do sanity check of "Speed Test" apps and/or sites>via>browser... Analiti speed test, speed check, Ookla speed test, et al. Which method and/or App or Site delivers realworld throughput results on Fire 4K or other Fire TV Sticks? I am getting Wildly differing/disagreeing results and am becoming suspicious that with Joe Public wanting only good news, some App devs are getting great reviews and thus downloads by "bending" the results a tad to make people feel good. I am not finding 3rd party independent testing of any of these to see what they are measuring and how, and rendering results?

thank you for advice!
c
14th February 2020, 02:27 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognus

Looking for the smart guys here in XDA to do sanity check of "Speed Test" apps and/or sites>via>browser... Analiti speed test, speed check, Ookla speed test, et al. Which method and/or App or Site delivers realworld throughput results on Fire 4K or other Fire TV Sticks? I am getting Wildly differing/disagreeing results and am becoming suspicious that with Joe Public wanting only good news, some App devs are getting great reviews and thus downloads by "bending" the results a tad to make people feel good. I am not finding 3rd party independent testing of any of these to see what they are measuring and how, and rendering results?

thank you for advice!
c

Can you download Speedtest app via APKPure from your PC and side-load it via ADB
Code:
adb install C:\Users\<Your Username>\Desktop\Speedtest.apk
15th February 2020, 03:49 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
New Braunfels

More
i pulled one apk called SpeedTest via Aptoid yesterday - problem being i need to know which dev we're talking about because people spoof some of the popular app names. names, icon graphics, developers - hard to tell which one is the 'genuine'. Also appears that several [unknown number] will copy the same basic app but put a frontend on it, so the name seems to change but the underlying code is the same test.
At any rate, tried just now again to install "SpeedTest by Ookla", got it 'installed' but it freezes at the Permissions screen. Seems to have a bug that doesn't allow the control to access the simple "Continue" function on the second panel of the permissions routine. It is supposed to be certified via amazon... Downloaded via Aptoide

EDIT: OK I throw in towel here. This is in the "unknown realm" category. Apparently no serious folks [I don't mean here, I mean in the broad universe of 'streamers'] takes this as a serious need or matter. I am going to conclude that the best tests are to use as good a browser as your streamer can stand [in the case of Fire 4K there are only two choices: I'll take Firefox], and use a variety of well-worn Internet performance websites: Google's own speed test, Speakeasy, Internet Speed.com, or your preference, and look for consistency between them. Until proven otherwise, I will assert that there are NO Apps for your streamer that can be trusted on this matter. zip.
15th February 2020, 07:07 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
analiti Speedtest have iPerf on board.
15th February 2020, 11:49 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
New Braunfels

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullinga

analiti Speedtest have iPerf on board.

hmmm... do I need to find a way to go to command line or is it embedded in the standard app run? its a good idea... i had not thought of iperf
16th February 2020, 02:33 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
it’s embedded in the App , you only need iPref Client/Server App on a second Device
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
network, speed, throughput

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)