FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Amazon Fire Tablet rooted

1,710 posts
Thanks Meter: 660

By ldeveraux, Senior Member on 2nd November 2015, 02:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/amaz...hread-t3238152

The new 7"Amazon tablet on Amazon OS 5 was just rooted today. Anyone want to give it a go on the Fire TV? I doubt it would work, but worth a shot...

2nd November 2015, 02:58 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Not sure why no one cares about this, maybe wrong section? But here's a reply from the developer regarding using it on the fire tv:

" technically, if you have access to the original boot.img of the other FireOS device 5, can get into fastboot, and do the boot.img repacking, theoretically you can use the same method.
but, you definitely can't use this as it is..."

So do we have the correct boot.img for the device? ?
3rd November 2015, 04:04 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 342

Donate to Me
More
This rooting method relies on using a modified boot image, loaded through fastboot, to mount the system partition as writable. This will not work for the 1st-gen Fire TV or Fire TV Stick because they are hardware locked to not allow fastboot to load a boot image. Oddly, the 2nd-gen Fire TV will allow fastboot to load a boot image, so it may be possible to root the 2nd-gen Fire TV using this method. The problem is, we do not have a complete original boot image for the 2nd-gen Fire TV to use as the base for the modified boot image. The boot image is normally extracted from the software update file, but since the 2nd-gen Fire TV switched to incremental updates, its updates do not contain a complete boot image. Only patches to the boot image.
The Following User Says Thank You to AFTVnews.com For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AFTVnews.com Ad-Free
3rd November 2015, 08:31 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
I thought we had complete fastboot and bootloader access on the v1 tv...
4th November 2015, 10:25 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Oh no! Its like "Yess, finally soon - Wait - NoooooO"

Are you shure about not beeing able to enter fastboot on First-Gen-AFTV? That Thread looks like it could somehow be possible: http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...cking-t3146278
4th November 2015, 11:45 AM |#6  
Flag Durban
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkydan

Oh no! Its like "Are you shure about not beeing able to enter fastboot on First-Gen-AFTV? That Thread looks like it could somehow be possible:

You may be able to enter fastboot mode but the bootloader is still locked and read-only on the AFTV 1, hence rbox developing a bootloader unlock for those of us with root.

AFTVnews.com says the AFTV2 bootloader is unlocked, which is semi good news I suppose.
4th November 2015, 03:49 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
so could someone with image lets say 5.03 perform a hardware root on the emmc of the device and then extract the boot.img be possible route?
4th November 2015, 04:06 PM |#8  
Flag Durban

More
If the emmc hardware root still works on the AFTV2, you should be able to dump the bootloader.
4th November 2015, 08:03 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roligov

You may be able to enter fastboot mode but the bootloader is still locked and read-only on the AFTV 1, hence rbox developing a bootloader unlock for those of us with root.

AFTVnews.com says the AFTV2 bootloader is unlocked, which is semi good news I suppose.

the bootloader is locked on the fire tablet too, but they still rooted it.
5th November 2015, 03:05 AM |#10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,101

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux

the bootloader is locked on the fire tablet too, but they still rooted it.

So it looks like they are using fastboot boot to boot a modified kernel image. On Fire TV, it prevents you from running fastboot boot.
5th November 2015, 05:34 AM |#11  
Flag Durban

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

So it looks like they are using fastboot boot to boot a modified kernel image. On Fire TV, it prevents you from running fastboot boot.

Do you have an AFTV2 rbox? If not we need to get a fund going to buy you one so you can tinker.
Elias said "Oddly, the 2nd-gen Fire TV will allow fastboot to load a boot image" so it will be interesting to see if you can do anything with it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)