FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How-To] Block OTA Updates Without Root (or a router) on Fire OS 5

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By LakituLives, Junior Member on 20th August 2015, 10:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
With the new Fire OS 5 update we can use the Debloater tool to disable APKs/services responsible for automatic updating. This was not previously possibly due to Fire OS 3 being built on Android 4.2.2 and the Debloater process needing Android 4.4.x+. No more worrying if your router is blocking everything properly. And of course... no root needed!

Quote:

Disable Update w/o Root Steps:
1. Enable USB Debugging on your Fire TV (or TV Stick) (how-to here)
2. Setup adbFire on your computer and establish a connection to your Fire TV[Stick] (how-to here)
3. Setup Debloater tool (how-to here)
4A. In the Debloater tool, check off the APK below then hit the "Apply" button:

• DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk (com.amazon.device.software.ota)
4B. Instead of using Debloater Tool you can just send the following ADB command:
Code:
adb shell pm hide com.amazon.device.software.ota
Unlike the pm disable command, hide disables the apk without root.

Quote:

After hiding the apk your Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick will no longer get OTA updates.
If you go into Settings > System > About you can no longer check for updates... yay.
To undo the block you can simply "unhide" each apk using the Debloater tool or run:

Code:
adb shell pm unhide com.amazon.device.software.ota

Be careful if you try to disable other system apps. If you disable something important and the device won't start up.. you'll have to perform a factory reset to fix the issue (not sure if possible with stick?). Have more apks to disable to reduce unneeded system processes? please share.

TL;DR
You gotta update to Fire OS 5.x in order to block updates without root (or router).
I know this defeats the purpose of blocking updates since you want to stay on old fw/sw... but science!
This may not work on all future Fire OS 5.x+ builds. Tested on FireTV Stick with Early Developer 5.0.3 build.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to LakituLives For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LakituLives Ad-Free

26th August 2015, 08:23 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you for this info.
13th October 2015, 03:42 PM |#3  

More
Can anybody confirm this is working ? I have not received my AFTV2 yet.
14th October 2015, 07:54 PM |#4  

More
Does this survive reboot?
3rd November 2015, 09:40 PM |#5  

More
Received my Firetv 2 and I can confirm it works, it even survives a reboot. To me this is the best method of blocking the Amazon updates.
Thanks mister LakituLives for writing this up
6th November 2015, 07:32 PM |#6  

More
Does this work on the Firetv 1? Or only on the 4K fire TV. When I try to run debloater on the firetv 1 it keep saying unsupported. Thanks.
9th November 2015, 08:11 AM |#7  
I assume you´re not running Fire OS 5 on the aTV 1. With Fire OS 3 this can´t be done this way.
10th November 2015, 09:28 AM |#8  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 189

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybas

Received my Firetv 2 and I can confirm it works, it even survives a reboot. To me this is the best method of blocking the Amazon updates.
Thanks mister LakituLives for writing this up

Can you run "pm list packages -d" from adb shell and paste the output? Does it do what @LakituLives describes which is give an error or otherwise not function as normal when you check for updates on the AFTV2?
11th November 2015, 12:13 PM |#9  
Flag houston
Thanks Meter: 609

More
I have done this and when i check for updates i get an error, don't know if it is working correctly.
11th November 2015, 09:49 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroepoch

Can you run "pm list packages -d" from adb shell and paste the output? Does it do what @LakituLives describes which is give an error or otherwise not function as normal when you check for updates on the AFTV2?

Glad to help. The pm list packages -d (disabled packages) is empty because debloater hides the packages and not disables them.
Code:
shell@sloane:/ $ pm list packages -d
pm list packages -d
shell@sloane:/ $
There is nothing to see.
Code:
1|shell@sloane:/ $ pm list packages | grep dcp
pm list packages | grep dcp
1|shell@sloane:/ $ pm list packages | grep pico
pm list packages | grep pico
package:com.svox.pico
shell@sloane:/ $
My version is now 5.0.3.1 because I unhid the packages and updated the machine, now the packages are hidden again and System --> About --> "installed Date" and "Last Checked" are both "Checking now......" and if I select Check for System Update I get an Update error. Perfect !
12th November 2015, 06:23 AM |#11  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 189

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybas

My version is now 5.0.3.1 because I unhide the packages and updated the machine, now the packages are hidden again and System --> About --> "installed Date" and "Last Checked" are both "Checking now......" and if I select Check for System Update I get an Update error. Perfect !

I get the same error now as well after running (as root):

Code:
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
No idea if this actually blocks updates or just the checking. I guess we'll have to wait until the next update.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)