Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

eMMC pinout on fire TV stick basic ?

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By rdpdo, Junior Member on 11th November 2017, 01:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

Do you have informations about pinout of eMMC chip on stick basic edition ?

Do you know if it can be rooted with hardware using rom for v2 or v1 ?

Thanks a lot !

Regards

12th November 2017, 10:42 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks you for the links... but the links above are for TV stick v1 not for TV stick basic edition.

Anyway, I will post there.
25th November 2017, 06:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I'm also looking for the eMMC pinout on the basic. From what I've read, it's the same as the FireTV Stick 2nd Gen, but even that I can't find pinouts for.

Here are some board pics for the Basic.
29th November 2017, 06:26 PM |#5  

More
UPDATE: It seems as though the difference between the two chips may be more important than I had previously thought. The PD/ZB is the package code, and comparing the MT29TZZZ8D5JKEZB-107 W.95Q to the MT29TZZZ8D5JKETS-107 W.95Q it would appear as though the BGA is completely different (168 pin vs 221, layout also being completely different). I may just have to donate this FireTV basic to the cause and lift it. If i'm lucky my BGA rework skills are still half as good as the Xbox 360 days.

Did a bit of digging, and it seems the markings on the eMMC do not simply reflect any internal models of the chip (as evident by a simple google search), but luckily Micron has their own decoder you can use.

The chip beside the ARM CPU appears to be an eMMC/RAM combo unit. Searching their site I cannot locate anything for MT29TZZZ8D5JKEPD-107 W.95T specifically, but there are some that are very close, like the MT29TZZZ8D5JKEZB-107 W.95Q. The difference between the chips is one has 8GM RAM the other (which I can't find) is the FireTV Basic which has 1GB ram.

Regardless, it looks like we're gonna have to pull the chip to determine where the required BGA pins can be accessed externally as there doesn't appear to be anything close to the eMMC. My guess is the underside of the board will be where most the pins will be accessed (hopefully).

Data sheet can be found here

And below is a cheat sheet:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iLLNiSS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iLLNiSS Ad-Free
5th December 2017, 01:10 AM |#6  

More
My SMD rework station came in (needed a new iron and was sick of heatgunning BGAs) so I put it to use right away and lifted the eMMC/RAM BGA.

Lo and behold, my guesstimate appears to be correct.

It would appear as though the MT29TZZZ8D5JKEPD-107 W.95T layout matches that of the board.

I unfortunately lost my bottle of rubbing alcohol so couldn't clean up the board for better pictures so this will have to do for now. Hopefully I'll have some time to trace some of the required pins in the near future once I get some more rubbing alcohol. CMD/DAT0/DAT5 can be visibly traced to outside the chip, the others will require manually mapping across the PCB for alternate locations. But for now, this is looking promising.

It's also worth noting (I picked up another FireTV in case I can't reball this one) that the one I just lifted the BGA from was a Samsung eMMC and not a Micron like my first FireTV Basic. Of course though, the datasheet is not available so I will work from the pinout in the MT29TZZZ8D5JKEPD-107 W.95T as planned.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iLLNiSS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iLLNiSS Ad-Free
5th December 2017, 07:30 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks you it's really a great work !
6th December 2017, 01:33 AM |#8  

More
Well guys, I'm trying to interface with the eMMC by dead bug (pulled BGA, wired it to the exploiteers low voltage adapter but I'm not having any luck. Can't seem to find any issues with the wiring, but she just won't recognize in the computer. Anyone got some hints/ideas?
7th December 2017, 09:30 PM |#9  

More
iLLNiSS do you have the pinouts? I have the same device and would be willing to try.
7th December 2017, 11:09 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalguy10

iLLNiSS do you have the pinouts? I have the same device and would be willing to try.

Negative. I took a break after the dead bug method came up empty handed for me. I suppose I can trace out the points still and someone else can try without lifting the BGA but I wouldn't make any guarantees.

Keep an eye out here in the near future. If I get around to it I'll have them posted here right after, I'm just busy with other projects and work.
9th December 2017, 08:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hey guys,
I opened also my fire TV stick (2nd gen) that shoud be the same like the fire tv stick basic and found the same layout of the board as shown in the picture of iLLNiSS.
The emmc on my fire tv stick is made by SK HYNIX with the part number "H9TQ64A8GTACUR-KUM".
I didnĀ“t find the data sheet for this emmc. However, I found the data sheet for "H9TQ17ABJTMCUR" that has the same dimension but 16gb storage. In this data sheet there you can see that the pinout is the same as found by iLLNiSS. So we are heading the right direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pd_ace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pd_ace Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)