FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fire TV 3

661 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By JeffDC, Senior Member on 27th October 2017, 02:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I received the Fire TV 3 yesterday and though I'd share a few observations about the gadget.

1. I'm in a rural area and internet here is 'almost' not existent at home. We do have an account and receive about 2-3 Mbs speed. I offer this as the Fire TV 3 works only by wi-fi and has no ethernet plug-in. Even with my low speed, I could run the Fire TV 3 alright, but of course streaming is strained. We hope to have the internet speed issue resolved in a month or so.

2. No SD port. Had about 4.89 Gigs free of 5.34, or so before putting my apps on. Currently 3.53 still avail.

3. You can use the Android app, "Apps to FireTV" which works just fine. In fact for me the transfers/installs are much quicker than on my Fire TV 2. When using the app for 'installing', the app does say at the end that the transferred file was successfully uploaded to the Fire TV 3, but the install 'failed', even though every app did end up installing just fine, it just took a few seconds longer than the app transfer allowed for with the notice.

4. AppStarter works just fine for me.

5. Cetusplay and MouseToggle 1.06, 1.07, 1.08 (most recent version) do not work for me. Cetusplay loses the mouse cursor near the buttons I need to activate, and with MouseToggle, the mouse size/resolution has changed so the mouse is much smaller and does not activate what it rests over. At this point in time, both useless. I suspect that the background screen resolution of Fire TV 3 has changed and that may be the reason the Mouse Toggle may be smaller and 'off'.

6. Other apps installed, YouTube, Netflix, PIA, etc work just fine. Netflix HDR movies do view in HDR and I get the HDR 'notice' on my LG OLED tv screen.

7. I wish I could find a good internet browser that would work with the Fire TV 3 remote, and a mouse toggle that works with this new Fire TV 3 OS, and web browsers, as well.

8. SET TV works, but as the download speed is slow, I do get lagging. SET TV is about $20 a month subscription for 3 or 4 devices, 300+ channels, movie channels, CNN, HBO, et al. Very worth the monthly fee. Can't wait to have a reasonable internet connection speed soon... so I hope.

The Fire TV 3 is about as quick as the Fire TV 2 in terms of screen and page freshening. I did mention that Apps to Fire TV installs and uploads seem much quicker. The Fire TV 3, as you know, is much smaller and lighter, and hangs off the HDMI port on the TV. Velcro will work for that. Other than the new HDR output option, I can not say I am 'excited' about the Fire TV 3 yet, and whether to keep it or put my Fire TV 2 back up and wait for a Fire TV 3+, which has ethernet and an SD port.

That's about what I've come up with so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffDC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JeffDC Ad-Free

27th October 2017, 03:24 AM |#2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDC

I received the Fire TV 3 yesterday and though I'd share a few observations about the gadget.

1. I'm in a rural area and internet here is 'almost' not existent at home. We do have an account and receive about 2-3 Mbs speed. I offer this as the Fire TV 3 works only by wi-fi and has no ethernet plug-in. Even with my low speed, I could run the Fire TV 3 alright, but of course streaming is strained. We hope to have the internet speed issue resolved in a month or so.

2. No SD port. Had about 4.89 Gigs free of 5.34, or so before putting my apps on. Currently 3.53 still avail.

3. You can use the Android app, "Apps to FireTV" which works just fine. In fact for me the transfers/installs are much quicker than on my Fire TV 2. When using the app for 'installing', the app does say at the end that the transferred file was successfully uploaded to the Fire TV 3, but the install 'failed', even though every app did end up installing just fine, it just took a few seconds longer than the app transfer allowed for with the notice.

4. AppStarter works just fine for me.

5. Cetusplay and MouseToggle 1.06, 1.07, 1.08 (most recent version) do not work for me. Cetusplay loses the mouse cursor near the buttons I need to activate, and with MouseToggle, the mouse size/resolution has changed so the mouse is much smaller and does not activate what it rests over. At this point in time, both useless. I suspect that the background screen resolution of Fire TV 3 has changed and that may be the reason the Mouse Toggle may be smaller and 'off'.

6. Other apps installed, YouTube, Netflix, PIA, etc work just fine. Netflix HDR movies do view in HDR and I get the HDR 'notice' on my LG OLED tv screen.

7. I wish I could find a good internet browser that would work with the Fire TV 3 remote, and a mouse toggle that works with this new Fire TV 3 OS, and web browsers, as well.

8. SET TV works, but as the download speed is slow, I do get lagging. SET TV is about $20 a month subscription for 3 or 4 devices, 300+ channels, movie channels, CNN, HBO, et al. Very worth the monthly fee. Can't wait to have a reasonable internet connection speed soon... so I hope.

The Fire TV 3 is about as quick as the Fire TV 2 in terms of screen and page freshening. I did mention that Apps to Fire TV installs and uploads seem much quicker. The Fire TV 3, as you know, is much smaller and lighter, and hangs off the HDMI port on the TV. Velcro will work for that. Other than the new HDR output option, I can not say I am 'excited' about the Fire TV 3 yet, and whether to keep it or put my Fire TV 2 back up and wait for a Fire TV 3+, which has ethernet and an SD port.

That's about what I've come up with so far.

Thats a crisp and neat review. I am from India and i was confused bw fire tv2 and 3. My requirement is to install some games on fire tv and play it. Ex i want to know if i can install asphalt8, real racing 3, modren combat games on it.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
27th October 2017, 03:52 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
There is indeed an ethernet adapter made for this device sold directly by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074T...95V66GWW829SZN

I suppose you could also use OTG ethernet since it supports OTG
The Following User Says Thank You to JUSTINMARMER For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JUSTINMARMER Ad-Free
27th October 2017, 03:36 PM |#4  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I also just got my FireTV3 2 days ago. So far it's been freezing up more often than my FireTV2. I'm not sure if it's because of the WiFi connection (tried both 2.4 & 5Ghz), but I was able to stream a 4K movie (Spectre) for 2 hours without any hiccups last night. I'm on FiOS 75/75 internet and my router is 15ft away.

I did order the Ethernet Adapter but haven't tried it yet. I wanted to see if WiFi would be good enough. I have my FireTV2 setup in my living-room on a wired LAN connection. This new FireTV3 is in my bedroom replacing my Gen1 FireTV stick. I might go ahead and connect the wired LAN this weekend if I find some free time.

The biggest hiccup I've come across was the Apps & Games section wouldn't load. I found a fix online = clear the cache for the Amazon App Store app.

Just like OP, Mouse Toggle app doesn't work at all with FireTV3. I've loaded it 3 times through Apps2Fire and through the new in app interface. It's just stuck on 'starting'.

PIA works just fine, but it's really stretched out. Unlike on my FireTV2 it shows up with black bars on the side.

Is there a big OS difference between FTV2 ad FTV3?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlipMarc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FlipMarc Ad-Free
27th October 2017, 09:54 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTINMARMER

There is indeed an ethernet adapter made for this device sold directly by Amazon.

Justin, thanks for that info. I will likely get one as I don't think Amazon is going to put out a Fire TV 3+ anytime soon!
28th October 2017, 12:02 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMarc

Just like OP, Mouse Toggle app doesn't work at all with FireTV3. I've loaded it 3 times through Apps2Fire and through the new in app interface. It's just stuck on 'starting'.

PIA works just fine, but it's really stretched out. Unlike on my FireTV2 it shows up with black bars on the side.

Is there a big OS difference between FTV2 ad FTV3?

Re: Mouse Toggle, after the install and setup, mine also said ... starting. I then went into System Setup, Developer Options and turned adb off and waited a few seconds, and then back on. Then I rebooted and the Mouse Toggle would come up with the double press of the play/pause button. It's resolution and hotspot are off enough on many screens/apps, that it's about useless for me.

For example, I can run the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, which would normally scroll down with a real mouse, or down press on the button, and the mouse disappears...

but is actually located on the page, still... but over some item you can not see/get to. It will select the app or place you can't see, so it's a toss up what you are activating at that point.

My PIA redresses itself upon loading and works as on my FireTV2, lower resolution, but it does work.

I'm not sure of the differences with the change of OS, other than HDR and I suspect static screen resolution, as Mouse Toggle is off, and Cetusplay, as well.
28th October 2017, 01:24 AM |#7  
XDA Labs app works pretty good, as long as you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected.

Sent from my needle using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

and it looks like the codename for Fire TV 3 is needle.

The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 04:17 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDC

Re: Mouse Toggle, after the install and setup, mine also said ... starting. I then went into System Setup, Developer Options and turned adb off and waited a few seconds, and then back on. Then I rebooted and the Mouse Toggle would come up with the double press of the play/pause button. It's resolution and hotspot are off enough on many screens/apps, that it's about useless for me.

For example, I can run the mouse down to the bottom of the screen, which would normally scroll down with a real mouse, or down press on the button, and the mouse disappears...

but is actually located on the page, still... but over some item you can not see/get to. It will select the app or place you can't see, so it's a toss up what you are activating at that point.

My PIA redresses itself upon loading and works as on my FireTV2, lower resolution, but it does work.

I'm not sure of the differences with the change of OS, other than HDR and I suspect static screen resolution, as Mouse Toggle is off, and Cetusplay, as well.

Press the fast forward button for scrolling down. Press the button with 3 lines to scroll up
The Following User Says Thank You to JUSTINMARMER For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JUSTINMARMER Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 03:22 PM |#9  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

XDA Labs app works pretty good, as long as you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

and it looks like the codename for Fire TV 3 is needle.

I thought Needle was the new stick and the box was Stark.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTINMARMER

I got my new FTV3 box and it remains in the box. It does support OTG per AFTNews.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-...rnet-hubs-etc/

They have some suggestions. I ordered a powered OTG cable and an USB A Ethernet dongle. I will be sending the AFTV Ethernet adapter back. With the OTG I will be able to plug in my existing powered USB hub that supports my Flirc, USB stick, KB dongle, and cheaper USB Ethernet dongle. I use a HDMI switching AV receiver so I am not happy with no HDMI input. I will get around that with an HDMI coupler.

That is if I get 3 out of the box. All the hoops to jump through is a downer. Reading that this thing will flood your screen with marketing crap makes me more leery. I may send it back and get a Shield. The only plus I see is the price. I got the Dot for $10 more offer. I can try it and junk it if it is annoying.
28th October 2017, 07:00 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 342

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid

I thought Needle was the new stick and the box was Stark.

The new Fire TV "pendent" (aka/codename Needle) is officially being called the 3rd generation Fire TV. Codename Stark is an unreleased Fire TV "cube" that I leaked last month. No idea what Amazon will end up officially calling that device.
28th October 2017, 07:14 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid

. Reading that this thing will flood your screen with marketing crap makes me more leery. I may send it back and get a Shield. The only plus I see is the price. I got the Dot for $10 more offer. I can try it and junk it if it is annoying.

There is one banner you can easily disable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUSTINMARMER For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JUSTINMARMER Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)