FORUMS

Gigabit connectivity FireTV

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By user17600, Junior Member on 12th April 2015, 01:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Found a gigabit connection that works with FireTV. "iClever 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub with RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Converter LAN Wired Network Adapter for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Ports, Compatible with Windows XP/7/8, Mac OS-X, Linux Chromebook Anroid 4.0 and above" Here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KRTVOUE/

While I've enjoyed the FireTV, I've found that some of the programs I use on it are choked by the 100 megabit port (such as the HD Homerun View app), and I'd tried a couple of other USB LAN connectors without success. It seems the Android software doesn't have built in support for many USB gigabit products. This one was on sale (with a coupon) and I figured even if it didn't work, I'd still have 3 USB 3.0 ports, but lo and behold, the Fire recognizes not only the USB but the gigabit port, which helps with the throughput from other parts of my network, including the HD Homerun View app. On the app, HD channels are actually watchable, including DRM channels in HD.

I searched the forums, and saw others looking for the same, so figured I'd report my findings.
12th April 2015, 02:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
the plugable USB2.0 -> "gigabit" ethernet adapters i used on my Gen1 ATV work fine with the firetv as well.

Note that fireTV is usb2.0 only, so your network is limited to ~400 megabits due to the USB Bus speed but it will negotiate at 1000mbps.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattvirus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattvirus Ad-Free
12th April 2015, 04:17 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvirus

the plugable USB2.0 -> "gigabit" ethernet adapters i used on my Gen1 ATV work fine with the firetv as well.
Note that fireTV is usb2.0 only, so your network is limited to ~400 megabits due to the USB Bus speed but it will negotiate at 1000mbps.

I'd tried a couple of the Pluggables without success. Maybe it was the firmware updates and my timing. And right about the limitations of throughput; maybe my experience is more perception than reality, but for the price ($13 with coupon) the improvement coupled with the additional USB ports make it worthwhile.

Can you post the model/part numbers of the Pluggables you've had success with in the event others are looking to attempt the same thing?
12th April 2015, 04:25 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
this topic has been discussed numerous times already, FireTv has USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0 so those gigabit adapters will work, just not yeild gigabit speeds.

Check out my Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...-mojo-t2945627
Where i compare the ethernet speeds between FireTV with Fastethernet port (4.18MB/s over SFTP) vs Open Hour Chameleon with Gigabit Port(7.13MB/s over SFTP)

Wait for the Forge TV or the Nvidia Shield for gigabit speeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to mejdam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mejdam Ad-Free
12th April 2015, 04:32 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Yeah, I was looking for specific models that worked specifically with AFTV. I didn't see much along those lines, more anecdotal reports of speed and whatnot. Mods can delete this if it seems duplicative, that's fine.
13th April 2015, 05:12 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by user17600

Can you post the model/part numbers of the Pluggables you've had success with in the event others are looking to attempt the same thing?

http://plugable.com/products/usb2-e1000

I used that adapter on my Gen1 ATV's and it's what I've used on the firetv's as well.
7th October 2017, 05:39 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvirus

How did you get this to work with your AFTV? I plugged it into the USB port and It was not recognized.
27th June 2020, 01:33 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by user17600

I'd tried a couple of the Pluggables without success. Maybe it was the firmware updates and my timing. And right about the limitations of throughput; maybe my experience is more perception than reality, but for the price ($13 with coupon) the improvement coupled with the additional USB ports make it worthwhile.

It is "Plugable" and you need an OTG adapter to use the non-OTG version:
"Since the UGREEN adapter doesn’t have OTG capabilities (which is a good thing), you’re going to need to use an OTG adapter to connect it to the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. Either this Generic OTG Adapter or this Angle OTG Adapter will work. The generic OTG adapter gives you a bit more cable length and flexibility with positioning, but the angle OTG adapter gives you a cleaner setup with fewer cables. I’ve verified that both work with the Fire TV 3 and Fire TV Stick 2, so the choice is yours" change to according to UGREEN info at AFTVNEWS.

Essentially you are adding a USB port, plus a power port to the small port on the AFTV. You still need to get a few extra USB ports in your adapter or settle for one with just Ethernet, however UGREEN and plugable sell versions that are not Gigabit and won't get 480mbps out of the 2.0, or will sacrifice the speed sharing it with the other peripherals according to some reviews.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddivita

How did you get this to work with your AFTV? I plugged it into the USB port and It was not recognized.

You need an OTG "On The Go" adapter, it was an android/Linux idea that allowed plugging regular USB keyboards and devices into micro USB on a phone or tablet. You get that adapter then you plug your 10/100 Mbps or 1000 (limited to 480 on 2.0) Mbps devices. Examples are FunHome or Fun-Home left angle OTG adapter or DSYJ micro USB adapter on Amazon.

Some other cables don't have a power connector though so you might not want one without both a micro-USB and USB input.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aftv, fire-tv, firetv, gigabit, usb3

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)