FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor CEO Thread

[GUIDE][NO ROOT] Installing YouTube (unblock), Play Music, Play Movies, and more!

78 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By rockon999, Member on 23rd January 2018, 09:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello!

In light of the recent blocking of YouTube on Amazon devices by Google I have put together a list of steps to install Google Play Services and the Android TV suite of Google applications without root. In addition the Android TV YouTube app can view paid content (movies, TV shows, etc)!

This was tested on a Fire TV Stick 2.

Newer versions of these applications may work unless otherwise noted (but have not been tested obviously).

APKS:
Instructions:
1. Install Google Play Services
- Open this once!
2. Install Google Play Store (Android TV)
3. Install Google Accounts Manager
4. Install Gmail
5. Open Gmail
6. Add a Google Account
- This interface is navigable with the remote but easier with a cursor app/mouse.
- If you can't navigate the interface repeatedly press up and down until a shadow appears around the button.
7. All installed Google Apps should now recognize your account has been added.

There you have it!

You should now have access to all the Google content you've been missing, Play Services to allow side loading, and YouTube free of any nasty blocking by Google or Amazon

Credits: Thanks to Moose200 and AFTV News for locating the functioning Google Accounts Manager version.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rockon999 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rockon999 Ad-Free

24th January 2018, 09:30 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Instead of of putting all these apps on your fire tv 2 just download an app called 'SMART YOUTUBE TV' and sideload it to the device ..the best thing about it is there are no ads..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atlkidz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift atlkidz Ad-Free
24th January 2018, 08:13 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlkidz

Instead of of putting all these apps on your fire tv 2 just download an app called 'SMART YOUTUBE TV' and sideload it to the device ..the best thing about it is there are no ads..

The goal of this guide is to get access to the official Google applications. The official YouTube app allows you to view paid purchases which is not possible with simple wrapper applications. While I prefer to entrust my Google account to official sources, you are welcome to suggest alternative third party applications in another thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockon999 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rockon999 Ad-Free
25th January 2018, 01:13 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Tried this on my Fire TV 3, no luck. Sad.
29th January 2018, 07:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Trying this now on my 1st gen fTV and it would be GREAT to get the google apps working - particularly Music, Movies, & TV.
- play services failed on the first install but working on the second attempt.
- gmail interface was very tricky. It kept looping back to the first screen if I didn't arrow down quickly to select "existing account".
Notes:
1) Youtube works but I can't cast to it from my laptop or phone. It doesn't show as an option.
2) Play Movies/TV starts movies but only the audio plays. Trailers play fine though. I only have problems with content I've purchased.
3) Play Music doesn't show "stations". I works great with my library of uploaded music but none of the streaming content works.
I guess the intent was to get Youtube to work so anything else is a bonus.
Thanks for this guide and the links to the working apks.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

One other thing that really isn't a fault of this guide but only you install PlayMusic it stays live in the back ground and grabs every press of the play/pause button on the remote. It doesn't matter what app you're in, if you press play/paus Google starts playing. Even if you are trying to reboot your fTV Playmusic jumps in there.
30th January 2018, 09:37 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh

Trying this now on my 1st gen fTV and it would be GREAT to get the google apps working - particularly Music, Movies, & TV.
- play services failed on the first install but working on the second attempt.
- gmail interface was very tricky. It kept looping back to the first screen if I didn't arrow down quickly to select "existing account".
Notes:
1) Youtube works but I can't cast to it from my laptop or phone. It doesn't show as an option.
2) Play Movies/TV starts movies but only the audio plays. Trailers play fine though. I only have problems with content I've purchased.
3) Play Music doesn't show "stations". I works great with my library of uploaded music but none of the streaming content works.
I guess the intent was to get Youtube to work so anything else is a bonus.
Thanks for this guide and the links to the working apks.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

One other thing that really isn't a fault of this guide but only you install PlayMusic it stays live in the back ground and grabs every press of the play/pause button on the remote. It doesn't matter what app you're in, if you press play/paus Google starts playing. Even if you are trying to reboot your fTV Playmusic jumps in there.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Occasional failure is to be expected
- I'll look into casting, I'm assuming there is likely a missing library/application that the Android TV version depends on.
- Does purchased content still work in YouTube? On a 2nd Gen Stick I have (frankly) astounding video playback in Play Movies. I'll see if I can play around with this on my old 1st gen and see if another APK version works better.
- I'll also look into Gmail (it is the most stable on 2nd gen, but 1st gen might have some quirks that would necessitate a different version)
- On my FTV if the music is paused in the app it won't continue to run in the background, I'll see if my 1st gen stick operates like yours does.
30th January 2018, 10:44 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon999

Thanks for the feedback!

- Occasional failure is to be expected
- I'll look into casting, I'm assuming there is likely a missing library/application that the Android TV version depends on.
- Does purchased content still work in YouTube? On a 2nd Gen Stick I have (frankly) astounding video playback in Play Movies. I'll see if I can play around with this on my old 1st gen and see if another APK version works better.
- I'll also look into Gmail (it is the most stable on 2nd gen, but 1st gen might have some quirks that would necessitate a different version)
- On my FTV if the music is paused in the app it won't continue to run in the background, I'll see if my 1st gen stick operates like yours does.

- wow, I didn't know Play purchases could be viewed in Youtube. And yes they work there. FANTASTIC!
- gmail mail isn't an issue. I was able to get through it. I'm assuming it's used just to get an account set up.
- To be clear the behavior for playmusic is: pause music, exit the app, hit play button, music resumes. This happens even if you're in another app that uses the play button.
Let me know if I can provide any additional info. BTW, I'm looking at YoutubeTV and it seems to also work with this set of playservice apks.
7th February 2018, 01:35 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I can confim it works! Play store doesn't work of course, but you can use any playservices-dependent app with no issues. You can use yalp store as a replacement. Gmail app can be unistalled after you added the account if you want, it still works. Thanks a lot
7th February 2018, 09:32 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you it worked with me.

I need a working version of Youtube TV app for AFS. I tried phones app but couldn't locate the location of the device. I could not make pass the location check.
9th February 2018, 08:54 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsatea

Thank you it worked with me.

I need a working version of Youtube TV app for AFS. I tried phones app but couldn't locate the location of the device. I could not make pass the location check.

You can use the old version, still works fine
9th February 2018, 12:34 PM |#11  
Flag In the wind
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Anybody get it to work on FTV 3 ? Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fire tv, gapps, google, no root, youtube

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)