FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[How To] Http Proxy on Amazon Fire TV Stick (non root)

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By N4b0, Junior Member on 12th January 2016, 06:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I just had the problem of being behind a Http/Https proxy and there is currently no option available to set this on the fire TV Stick.
Android offers this option at least since version 4 by default but they must have deactivatetd this feature intenionaly (region rights and such things).

But it is still possible.

1. Setup your AFTVS on a normal Wifi with internet connection ( if not already done)

2. Activate Apps from unkown sources and ADB
Settings --> System --> Developersoptions

3. Make sure your are connected to the same network as your pc.

4. Sideload following app:
Code:
AndroidProxySetter:
github.com/jpkrause/AndroidProxySetter/releases

How To sideload:
aftvnews.com/sideload/#more-7959
5. Start the App over adb on your pc:
Code:
//connect to device
adb connect 192.168.1.184:5555
//check the connection 
adb -s 192.168.1.184:5555 get-state
//start app
adb -s 192.168.1.184:5555 shell am start -n tk.elevenk.proxysetter/.MainActivity -e host 192.168.56.1 -e port 8080 -e ssid PrivateWifi -e key Passw0rd
Where u would replace the device ip, host, port, ssid and key with the settings of your network.
Please mind that ur on a linux based system and everything is case sensitiv.
For more options look here:
Code:
github.com/jpkrause/AndroidProxySetter
5. Now, if everything is fine some little popups will be displayed and at last it should say connected.

6. Going back to the home screen and Done.

Known issues: After some major updates you will need to set the proxy again, so just repeat step 4

It should also run on the normal AFTV but i got none so i can't test it.

All Credit goes to JPKrause who wrote that little app, I just happend to find it
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N4b0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N4b0 Ad-Free

21st June 2016, 09:44 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Update 21.06.2016:
With Fire Os 5.2.1.0 it seems like you cant start adb on the device itself so you have to start the proxysetter over adb on your pc.
This "new" way doesnt require to install the terminal emulator anymore and its actually more comfortable.

best regards N4b0
The Following User Says Thank You to N4b0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N4b0 Ad-Free
10th September 2016, 11:36 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
how to setting up proxy using pac file?
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4b0

Update 21.06.2016:
With Fire Os 5.2.1.0 it seems like you cant start adb on the device itself so you have to start the proxysetter over adb on your pc.
This "new" way doesnt require to install the terminal emulator anymore and its actually more comfortable.

best regards N4b0

19th September 2016, 12:43 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcrself

Hi,

well I guess the AndroidProxySetter doesn't cover any way to use PAC files.
But you can actually open your pac file with an editor of your choise and extract your proxy settings from the containing functions.

bg N4b0
8th October 2016, 07:06 PM |#5  

More
Hello, I have this working on a Fire Stick, I ran the commands on a Fire TV and is not working. Anyone has this working on a AFT (no stick)?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

edit: it not working anymore on my fire tv stick, I see the connection going to the proxy but in the screen it says invalid_geo_ip, somehow they manage to get my original ip. My gf is american, and we are abroad, this was the only way to watch amazon content. Sad. I'll try to get a vpn instead, but this proxy setting was easy configuration.
11th January 2017, 05:26 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Hi mastodonian,
in my case it still works like a charm on the AFTVS. I just tried it over a vpn that my home server provides, but the tv stick then says something about geo restriction even though its a german vpn. I suppose they are doing some kind of deep packet inspection or they got an ip blacklist.
Can't say but eventually the proxy you are tring to connect uses internally a vpn or is on a blacklist.

Cheers n4b0
19th January 2017, 08:16 AM |#7  

More
can someone help me with this one im a bit slow on following instructions especially codes like these
18th April 2017, 03:22 PM |#8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 3,494

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhech

can someone help me with this one im a bit slow on following instructions especially codes like these

its pretty simple just do the following

Download adblock plus and install it on your firestick - use the power of google or an app store on your fire stick to get it

Download this app to your pc - https://github.com/jpkrause/AndroidP...ease-0.1.3.apk
Adb this app to your firestick by (assuming you have adb installed if not google howto)
enable adb on the fire stick in dev options if not already done so
adb connect 192.168.1.1 (change the ip address to your firesticks)
adb devices (you should see a list of devices connected if adb is working with your firestick ip address and port number)
adb install (then drag and drop the apk file into the command window - This will auto complete the path of the apk to save you entering it manually)

once the apk is installed
Code:
adb -s 192.168.1.1:5555 shell am start -n tk.elevenk.proxysetter/.MainActivity -e host localhost -e port 2020 -e ssid MyWifiName -e key MyWifiKey
Starting: Intent { cmp=tk.elevenk.proxysetter/.MainActivity (has extras) }
Change the ip address in the above code to your firestick ip address - the numbers after the : is the port address - it should match what you saw when you typed adb devices
Change the ssid to your wifi name and key to your wifi password

you will get some pop up windows on the firestick telling you if it has succeeded or you have errors

next open adblock plus and enable adblocking
restart the firestick
open adblock plus again and you shouldnt see the warning about it cannot manually set the proxy at the top of the screen

load up an adblock test website to test its working
10th June 2017, 04:00 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you for making this method clear and easy. However, even though I get the successful messages and the proxy chnages to localhost and the Port to 2020, Ad Block Plus still shows the "please configure manually" message after reboot.

Testing on some apps, the ads are most definitely not blocked!

Any suggestions?
1st March 2018, 09:28 AM |#10  
Flag Aleppo
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Thanks for malking this app , I just have a problem , netflix connects directly and not through the proxy , any idea how to force connecting through proxy ,
16th April 2018, 11:20 AM |#11  

More
It works perfect
I bought FireStick today and it wouldn't let me connect to Amazon as my ISP has made mandatory to use HTTP proxy.
I followed your step wise instructions and it worked. Thanks a ton
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)