How To Properly Backup Fire TV Stick 4K in TWRP with no issues

Search This thread

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
The "unlock your device" means you have to accept the adb connection on your firestick. There should be a message displayed on your TV screen. Use the remote to accept the connection.

# means that line is a comment. It is for your information, not to be executed.

Ok. I have something weird going on here then. Normally when i connect adb it does popup and ask to allow on firestick. It is not doing that now and i have rebooted the stick and turned adb on and off several times in the settings. On my phone radb connects and will list packages etc however adb devices cmd says adb not found. My computer was doing the same thing and after playing with it for a minute it now shows attached device but still requesting unlock device.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

Ok. I have something weird going on here then. Normally when i connect adb it does popup and ask to allow on firestick. It is not doing that now and i have rebooted the stick and turned adb on and off several times in the settings. On my phone radb connects and will list packages etc however adb devices cmd says adb not found. My computer was doing the same thing and after playing with it for a minute it now shows attached device but still requesting unlock device.

I unplugged it waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. I still cannot get a prompt... as much as i would hate to do it should i just wipe the stick and start over? I have a few weird things happening. my netflix wont open. i cleared data and uninstalled. after reinstall it worked for a while and now same thing. My downloader app also will not open. I uninstalled and reinstalled same issue.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016

I'm guessing radb is the Remote ADB Shell app for Android. It sounds like you are making two adb connections to the firestick - one from your phone, and one from your pc. I don't think two connections are allowed, and that is probably part of your problem. The unlock is on a connection basis, so an unlock for your phone will not work for a pc connection. You probably need to revoke the connections on your firestick and start over using only your pc, but I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe reset to factory defaults?

Adb devices not found on your computer means you don't have the adb executable in your path. Adb devices is not an adb shell command, so it would not work on your phone. I believe the Remote ADB Shell app executes only adb shell commands.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
wow

That makes sense about the phone. I dont get why my computer was not working with adb devices command because i disabled adb debugging in settings and disconnected my phone and it still didnt work. After doing this several times the computer started working but i still havent gotten a prompt on the stick for either. I have an otg cable and flash hooked up. Partitioned to internal/external 50/50. I removed it and renistalled downloader and netflix. They both now open from the amazon menu but not from my atv launcher unless running in backround.

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

I'm guessing radb is the Remote ADB Shell app for Android. It sounds like you are making two adb connections to the firestick - one from your phone, and one from your pc. I don't think two connections are allowed, and that is probably part of your problem. The unlock is on a connection basis, so an unlock for your phone will not work for a pc connection. You probably need to revoke the connections on your firestick and start over using only your pc, but I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe reset to factory defaults?

Adb devices not found on your computer means you don't have the adb executable in your path. Adb devices is not an adb shell command, so it would not work on your phone. I believe the Remote ADB Shell app executes only adb shell commands.

So im just gonna have to wipe it and start over. I have most my apps on the flash at least that. Backround apps and processes will not open even after uninstalling and reinstalling. Will i need to repartition the flash drive after i wipe the stick? I havent done this since i set it up?

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
update

That makes sense about the phone. I dont get why my computer was not working with adb devices command because i disabled adb debugging in settings and disconnected my phone and it still didnt work. After doing this several times the computer started working but i still havent gotten a prompt on the stick for either. I have an otg cable and flash hooked up. Partitioned to internal/external 50/50. I removed it and renistalled downloader and netflix. They both now open from the amazon menu but not from my atv launcher unless running in backround.

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

So im just gonna have to wipe it and start over. I have most my apps on the flash at least that. Backround apps and processes will not open even after uninstalling and reinstalling. Will i need to repartition the flash drive after i wipe the stick? I havent done this since i set it up?

Ok so i removed my flash drive and factory reset my stick. Adb is working correctly again. Thats the good news, The bad news is none of my apps on the flash were showing on the stick. I repartitoned the flash and now there is nothing on it. I plugged it into my computer and it just has some amazon app data. All my apps are gone. How could this be? I removed it before reset? This is just not my day! Is there anyway to fix this or am i just back at square 1?

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

Ok so i removed my flash drive and factory reset my stick. Adb is working correctly again. Thats the good news, The bad news is none of my apps on the flash were showing on the stick. I repartitoned the flash and now there is nothing on it. I plugged it into my computer and it just has some amazon app data. All my apps are gone. How could this be? I removed it before reset? This is just not my day! Is there anyway to fix this or am i just back at square 1?

I would have backed up my apks to computer but i thought they were stored on the flash. I swear im not trying to be the biggest pain in the ass of all time but will someone please help me figure out what the $%#! is going on?!

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

I would have backed up my apks to computer but i thought they were stored on the flash. I swear im not trying to be the biggest pain in the ass of all time but will someone please help me figure out what the $%#! is going on?!

My guess is repartitioning the flash removed the apps.

SweenWolf

I don't know which one to quote so,

You are right only one device can access a shell at a time.

If you are using "Remote Adb Shell" then there's no need to enter adb shell because you are already in shell.

On pc either he doesn't has ADB path set or maybe he doesn't have adb at all.

Remote adb shell creates a persistent connection to the shell, to terminate that enter
"exit" in the shell and it will disconnect the connection. then you'll be able to access the shell on you pc, and only then you will be prompted for USB debugging in Firestick.

For the partitioning part, if he has saved his file on one partition of a flash drive which he created on that stick, then he is binding that usb partition to the stick and stick will know where to look for.
If he formats the stick then stick will no longer recognize that partition on your drive, and no apk is fully installed on a flash drive, that means a reset will make it useless. If you again partition that device then that partition is formatted which in turn deletes the data of that partition creating a new one for that stick.

And for the backup prompt, that prompt is shown on the stick to allow the backup process, which i don't even remember is still a thing or not.

I am quoting you but want to clear things out to other members.

Last edited:

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020

Thank you for clarifying. The factory reset did fix my issue with adb not giving me a prompt. Its unfortunate about the flash drive. I almost have it remade and will try again with adb backup. I am curious where the backup file will be located after using the adb command. I just wanted to copy my setup to my other sticks specifically my atv launcher settings ,logins and passwords. I will give you all an update once its done and let you know how it goes.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
So I tried this command adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
CMD says: unlock your device and confirm the backup operation. Any ideas?
also once i get this to work am i supposed to just input # or # backup on one device?
I also tried the command with adding " " & ' ' around the command and got the same message both times.

Hello. So I have remade my stick after losing my data and im ready to do the backup so I can copy to the second firestick. When I enter the command adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
Am I replacing "myapp" with an individual package name or can this command backup all appdata? Also just wondering where the backup file will be stored after doing this. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Without root.

adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
# backup on one device
adb restore myapp.ab

adb shell pm list packages -f
# to get the appname com.******

Hello. So I have remade my stick after losing my data and im ready to do the backup so I can copy to the second firestick. When I enter the command adb backup -f myapp.ab -apk com.myapp
Am I replacing "myapp" with an individual package name or can this command backup all appdata? Also just wondering where the backup file will be stored after doing this. Thanks.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

See https://www.technipages.com/how-to-backup-your-entire-android-device

If it was me, I would do a TWRP backup per the original post in this thread.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020

I do like the TWRP method however my device is not rooted and i really dont want to take all my firesticks apart in order to root them. I just want to copy my data which is why im interested in the adb method. I have customized my atv launcher,several apps with custom settings,and alot of premium apps with logins and passwords.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I was looking at the article you posted and it requires plugging in the device to computer via USB. Can this be done on a firestick 4k being the usb port is the powersupply? Ive seen several backup methods that work this way like helium backup but i was under the impression this could not be done with a firestick.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I do like the TWRP method however my device is not rooted and i really dont want to take all my firesticks apart in order to root them. I just want to copy my data which is why im interested in the adb method. I have customized my atv launcher,several apps with custom settings,and alot of premium apps with logins and passwords.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I was looking at the article you posted and it requires plugging in the device to computer via USB. Can this be done on a firestick 4k being the usb port is the powersupply? Ive seen several backup methods that work this way like helium backup but i was under the impression this could not be done with a firestick.

I don't think the article requires a USB connection. It should also work with a WiFi connection. It is possible to connect the firestick to a USB port, though, as long as the port provides sufficient power. A powered USB hub will normally provide enough power.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
I don't think the article requires a USB connection. It should also work with a WiFi connection. It is possible to connect the firestick to a USB port, though, as long as the port provides sufficient power. A powered USB hub will normally provide enough power.

That would be awesome. Ill definetly give it a try. Have you used this method on a firestick before? I dont really care how as long as i can save and move this data it takes a ridiculous amount of time to setup all these apps exactly how I have them (especially ATV Launcher) and enter all these logins.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
That would be awesome. Ill definetly give it a try. Have you used this method on a firestick before? I dont really care how as long as i can save and move this data it takes a ridiculous amount of time to setup all these apps exactly how I have them (especially ATV Launcher) and enter all these logins.

I'm not sure which method you are asking about. I prefer TWRP, so I have not used adb backup. I'm sure adb backup works, though. I have run my firestick 4k plugged into my powered USB hub. A USB port on a computer may or may not work, depending on how much power it was designed to provide. I would not not try it on my computer without knowing the power rating of the USB port, though. Bad things could happen if the USB port cannot provide sufficient power.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
No luck yet

I'm not sure which method you are asking about. I prefer TWRP, so I have not used adb backup. I'm sure adb backup works, though. I have run my firestick 4k plugged into my powered USB hub. A USB port on a computer may or may not work, depending on how much power it was designed to provide. I would not not try it on my computer without knowing the power rating of the USB port, though. Bad things could happen if the USB port cannot provide sufficient power.

So I have tried adb backup a few different ways and I have encountered the same issue each time. I also want to clarify there is nothing wrong with my adb. The Amazon Firestick 4k seems to be either missing or has blocked the system app that pops up on an android phone and asks you to enter your pin to unlock your device when backing up your data. If anyone knows how to install this system app or any other way to backup and save appdata WITHOUT ROOT or even a way to root it without dismantling the device and shorting out circuits please share.

For example :
C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup -f wolf.firelauncher.ab -apk com.wolf.firelauncher
Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation.

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup "-f wolf.firelauncher.ab -apk com.wolf.firelauncher"

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup "-apk -shared -all -f C:\Users\heads\Onedrive\Desktop\adb backup\backup.ab"

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup -all

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup "-all"

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb devices
List of devices attached
192.168.1.40:5555 device

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
So I have tried adb backup a few different ways and I have encountered the same issue each time. I also want to clarify there is nothing wrong with my adb. The Amazon Firestick 4k seems to be either missing or has blocked the system app that pops up on an android phone and asks you to enter your pin to unlock your device when backing up your data. If anyone knows how to install this system app or any other way to backup and save appdata WITHOUT ROOT or even a way to root it without dismantling the device and shorting out circuits please share.

For example :
C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup -f wolf.firelauncher.ab -apk com.wolf.firelauncher

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup "-f wolf.firelauncher.ab -apk com.wolf.firelauncher"

C:\Users\heads\OneDrive\Desktop\adb backup>adb backup "-apk -shared -all -f C:\Users\heads\Onedrive\Desktop\adb backup\backup.ab"

List of devices attached

I get the same thing on my firestick - no confirmation screen, and an empty backup file is created. Have you disabled any apks on your firestick? Mine has been fully debloated, so I could have disabled whatever provides the confirmation screen.

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Yep

Yes I am running icebox but it did the same thing before I reset my device and I did not have icebox installed then. One fellow on here said i should be getting a popup but idk. I got the empty backup files as well. Im pretty much out of ideas that do not involve root. Is there a way to install twrp and backup without root?

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016

For example :

List of devices attached

As far as I can tell, the Backup Manager is not on the firestick. Perhaps you can transfer the apps with an "adb pull". See https://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-transfer-amazon-fire-tv-apps-to-a-fire-tv-stick/

Reactions: Headstrongrc

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Yes I am running icebox but it did the same thing before I reset my device and I did not have icebox installed then. One fellow on here said i should be getting a popup but idk. I got the empty backup files as well. Im pretty much out of ideas that do not involve root. Is there a way to install twrp and backup without root?

Or is there a way to install the system apps that make this work on mobile? I saw an article with the popup window running and it says full backup. If i could get that window to popup I think it would still work on the stick.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016

You can install TWRP without root, but you still have to disassemble the stick and short the contacts. I think that is what you are trying to avoid.

https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/orig-development/unlock-fire-tv-stick-4k-mantis-t3978459

Reactions: Headstrongrc

Headstrongrc

May 20, 2020
Right on

As far as I can tell, the Backup Manager is not on the firestick. Perhaps you can transfer the apps with an "adb pull". See https://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-transfer-amazon-fire-tv-apps-to-a-fire-tv-stick/

Thats a good idea i did think about adb pull but was unsure if it would work or what to enter exactly. Im going to try this today and post my results. Thank you

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

You can install TWRP without root, but you still have to disassemble the stick and short the contacts. I think that is what you are trying to avoid.

https://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/orig-development/unlock-fire-tv-stick-4k-mantis-t3978459

Yes exactly why ive been trying to use adb. I will probably try this if nothing else works but ive got 3 sticks and i would prefer not to open them all up. Win or lose I appreciate everyone trying to help me out!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As I did more testings on my Fire TV Stick 4K within TWRP, most of the issues usually occur while backing up the system and vendor. In the past, I thought I was doomed because of a bricked Fire TV Stick 4K for backing those two partitions. Yesterday, I finally discovered the true fix with backing up and restoring. You need to only backup the system image, vendor image, data, and boot to get your Fire TV Stick 4K working again WITHOUT flashing a prerooted or stock image. Let me know if this works for you and I'll be glad to respond back. I also have my version of a debloated rom for the Fire TV Stick 4K which may be available in the near future and is safely able to factory reset successfully along with the setup wizard going through without issues.
    As I did more testings on my Fire TV Stick 4K within TWRP, most of the issues usually occur while backing up the system and vendor. In the past, I thought I was doomed because of a bricked Fire TV Stick 4K for backing those two partitions. Yesterday, I finally discovered the true fix with backing up and restoring. You need to only backup the system image, vendor image, data, and boot to get your Fire TV Stick 4K working again WITHOUT flashing a prerooted or stock image. Let me know if this works for you and I'll be glad to respond back. I also have my version of a debloated rom for the Fire TV Stick 4K which may be available in the near future and is safely able to factory reset successfully along with the setup wizard going through without issues.

EDIT: Version 1.0 of my debloated rom will be posted here shortly! Its a backup without my account obviously, and has a few tweaks done so far. ONLY works for Fire TV Stick 4K.

I don't know which one to quote so,

You are right only one device can access a shell at a time.

If you are using "Remote Adb Shell" then there's no need to enter adb shell because you are already in shell.

On pc either he doesn't has ADB path set or maybe he doesn't have adb at all.

Remote adb shell creates a persistent connection to the shell, to terminate that enter
    "exit" in the shell and it will disconnect the connection. then you'll be able to access the shell on you pc, and only then you will be prompted for USB debugging in Firestick.

For the partitioning part, if he has saved his file on one partition of a flash drive which he created on that stick, then he is binding that usb partition to the stick and stick will know where to look for.
    If he formats the stick then stick will no longer recognize that partition on your drive, and no apk is fully installed on a flash drive, that means a reset will make it useless. If you again partition that device then that partition is formatted which in turn deletes the data of that partition creating a new one for that stick.

And for the backup prompt, that prompt is shown on the stick to allow the backup process, which i don't even remember is still a thing or not.

I am quoting you but want to clear things out to other members.
    You can do this with
    Busybox and
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/dk.jens.backup/
    I also use this for ATV and Youtube without Problems.
    So i move my backup to the other stick.

adb shell mkdir /sdcard/oandbackups
    adb push oandbackups /sdcard/oandbackups/
    adb install dk.jens.backup_305.apk

And make a reboot after restore to Apply the changes.