I was able to get (what I believe to be) the latest working versions (for the FTV) installed. The program in question now works fine. Here's what I did (again, all credit to the above source... all I did differently is figure out and download the latest versions of each):
1) Download the following apks (I got all of these from apkmirror) and install in this order:
- com.google.android.gsf_4.0.4-488656 (this is Google Services Framework)
- com.google.android.gms_10.2.98_(030-146496160) (this is Google Play Services)
- com.google.android.gsf.login_5.1-1743759 (this is Google Account Manager)
- com.android.vending_6.8.24 (this is Google Play Store)
2) Once the above are installed, launch the Google Play Store and attempt to login. It'll fail. That's expected.
3) Hit home key and you're gtg!! Apps requireing play services should now work (at least they did for me).
I'm not sure if you have to do the play store part or even install the play store and/or the account manager, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
Hope that helps!