FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Kodi/Quasar on Fire TV 2

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By iamacarpetlicker, Junior Member on 28th December 2016, 09:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all,

I've been working on getting Quasar running on the Fire TV 2, which was a little difficult as it doesn't support a FAT32 file system for storage (no pre-allocation), but that's all the Fire TV supports out of the box.

I'll try and write a simple guide to achieve a working version, but I don't have pictures at the moment, so when I do another setup at the end of the week, I'll check back and try to add some with more detail.

This guide assumes you have already rooted and are running the rbox pre-rooted ROM (in my case, 5.2.4.0).

First, I used a Linux VM and an external card reader to partition a microSD card.

MS-DOS partition table, 2 primary partitions using auto alignment (parted).
First partition 1GB in size, type FAT32.
Second partition, rest of free space, type ext4.
After saving, created the filesystems using "mkfs.vfat" & "mkfs.ext4" as these tools didn't seem to be included on the AFTV.

From here, install Kodi v17.

I downloaded the ARM v7 APK from their website and installed using adb from my laptop.
Then, find and install a copy of "Apps2SD ROOT" - I used version 11.3.

Launch Kodi for the first time, to create the data directories, then exit again.

Insert the microSD card.

The AFTV2 should auto-mount the 1GB partition at the beginning of the card and ignore our ext4 at the end.
Open "Apps2SD" and using a mouse, go to "Link apps to SD card".

The first time you do this, it should ask you to set up the SD card.
Select ext4 as the file system type allow it to set up the mount script, so everything works on boot.
Now, we'll link Kodi:

Use the filter to select "User Apps", find Kodi and go into it.
At the bottom of this page about the app, click Link App.
Select the two data directory tick boxes and confirm the link.
At this point, it should move all the files then say when complete.
Now go back and exit out of the app, back to the launcher.

Go into Kodi again and install the Quasar Android ARM build (I put the zip on a FAT32 USB drive).
When the initial settings box pops up, cancel out of it, as we can't set the download path here.

On my laptop with ADB connected, I ran:
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.quasar/settings.xml
Edited the settings.xml file, from:
Code:
<setting id="download_path" value="" />
To (this path should be linked to the ext4 partition on the SD card):
Code:
<setting id="download_path" value="/data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files" />
Then to push the settings back, I ran:
Code:
adb push settings.xml /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.quasar/settings.xml
After this, a quick restart of Kodi was required.
From here, proceed like you would usually.

Issues I've noticed:

Although AFTV2 will play back 4K/2160p via Kodi/Quasar, the video output is only 1080p.
There is a fix for 4K playback in SPMC, but it's tough to get Quasar provider support in v16 of Kodi.
Hopefully 4K playback will be supported in the v17 release by the Kodi team when it is officially released.
Regards,
iamacarpetlicker
The Following User Says Thank You to iamacarpetlicker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iamacarpetlicker Ad-Free

22nd July 2017, 06:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
Good morning,

This is the only actual guide to getting quasar to work with a usb stick i have been able to find (without changing the internal storage and making kodi much slower in the process). It is kinda confusing though :/
So a couple questions

Will this also work for AFTV 1 instead of 2? (I am on the ROM ver 5.1.1 currently but have a 1st gen fire tv)

What if i already have kodi installed? Can I just skip down to the quasar push/pull directions? Or is there something i'd have to do first? like: "(this path should be linked to the ext4 partition on the SD card)" - How do i do that without installing kodi and doing all the steps previous to it? Can i just make a directory on the usb stick manually and bam? or no?

If i am not going to be installing kodi at the same time do I need to multi-partition the usb stick or could i just format it to ext4 and follow the adb push/pull directions for quasar download path? (it is currently formatted with one partition as ext4)

Any and all help is very much appreciated I love quasar and just bought a usb stick to get more out of it and have been searching for days on how to do this and tried quite a few things. THANK YOU
24th July 2017, 03:50 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello AsinineRepublic,

Yes my apologies, I don't have a lot of personal time for stuff like this so I was never able to come back and update the guide properly.

Since writing this, my parents got some Fire TVs that came with a newer firmware that wasn't rootable, so I briefly investigated how Quasar could run on a stock firmware device.

I made a proof of concept storage driver for go-torrent that would allow storage to FAT32 (the only storage the FireTV 2s support natively) and a nice guy called Denis worked on a port of Quasar to go-torrent.

I'm not sure about a USB stick, as we've only tested it on the internal micro-sd on the FireTV 2s.

You can get a copy of the plugin here:
https://github.com/stonedonajax/plug...uasar/releases

Just set the storage driver in settings to FAT32 and the path to: /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.xbmc.kodi/files/

The in-memory driver, in our personal testing, crashes a lot or interrupts playback, so I'd avoid it if possible.

Thanks,
iamacarpetlicker
The Following User Says Thank You to iamacarpetlicker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iamacarpetlicker Ad-Free
30th July 2017, 06:20 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you, this worked for me as well
13th September 2017, 11:25 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi I downloaded the first quasar add on for android arm and i couldn't get it to give permission to my memory card I formatted it to fat 32 it would only give permission to external storage but I changed storage type to memory and used /storage/emulated/0/Movies/and it streams brilliantly with my vpn but how to I get it working with my memory card many thanks for posted this brilliant add on thanks for your help when I insert my memory card and change storage to fat 32 and choose my memory card it won't give me permission using fire TV 4k
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)