FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[No Root] Remove the banner ad on the main screen

184 posts
Thanks Meter: 44
 
By krsmit0, Senior Member on 12th August 2017, 12:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Wasn't sure if this has been posted before. Wanted to share.

Connect with adb and run...

Code:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kso.blackbird
reboot
I'm not sure if the -k or --user 0 are necessary but its the same used on the kindle fire

I haven't tested but only way believed to return it is factory reset.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krsmit0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krsmit0 Ad-Free
 
 
12th August 2017, 06:39 AM |#2  
nyln's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 84
 
More
shell@tank:/ $ pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kso.blackbird
Success
shell@tank:/ $ reboot

It seems to work, thanks!
12th August 2017, 11:57 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Somebody sticky this.
12th August 2017, 01:51 PM |#4  
Y314K's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 460
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

Wasn't sure if this has been posted before. Wanted to share.

Connect with adb and run...



I'm not sure if the -k or --user 0 are necessary but its the same used on the kindle fire


Quote:
Originally Posted by nyln

shell@tank:/ $ pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kso.blackbird
Success
shell@tank:/ $ reboot

It seems to work, thanks!

So no ROOT needed (no # in the instructions) ? What would be the input to reverse this? It's always good to have the antidote, just in case.
12th August 2017, 08:48 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y314K

So no ROOT needed (no # in the instructions) ? What would be the input to reverse this? It's always good to have the antidote, just in case.

Correct, no root. And without trying it, the only way to return it is a factory reset or a OTA update.
12th August 2017, 09:38 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

Correct, no root. And without trying it, the only way to return it is a factory reset or a OTA update.

Well, if you're rooted, you could flash the same firmware again, I assume.

If you have root, couldn't you do:

Code:
pm disable com.amazon.kso.blackbird
instead?
12th August 2017, 09:49 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest

Well, if you're rooted, you could flash the same firmware again, I assume.

If you have root, couldn't you do:



instead?

I don't have root.

This doesn't remove anything from system, so reflashing the firmware is overkill to return this. Just a factory reset should return it although I'm not sure why you would return ads to the stock launcher.
12th August 2017, 10:02 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

I don't have root.

Someone who does should attempt that instead. I have root, but I already did the uninstall command.

EDIT: I had a FireTV that I hadn't upgraded to the latest rbox firmware. I upgraded it and ran "pm disable com.amazon.kso.blackbird" as root and rebooted. The ads are gone.
13th August 2017, 12:15 AM |#9  
Y314K's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 460
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

Correct, no root. And without trying it, the only way to return it is a factory reset or a OTA update.

Cool. Should be great for my friends on non-Rooted FTVS1-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

I don't have root.

This doesn't remove anything from system, so reflashing the firmware is overkill to return this. Just a factory reset should return it although I'm not sure why you would return ads to the stock launcher.

Guessing it should also work on Rooted devices with TWRP. We can just do a Factory Reset in TWRP to get back to normal if needed. Or maybe backup the APK & reinstall it. Maybe you can look at the code needed to reinstall it with the right rights. The APK reinstall could be an option for those on non-Rooted devices that don't which to Factory Reset.

Since Rooted devices have the option to disable & enable then they don't need that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest

Well, if you're rooted, you could flash the same firmware again, I assume.

If you have root, couldn't you do:

Code:
pm disable com.amazon.kso.blackbird
instead?

I wonder if like with the Method 2 Update Blocking for Non-Rooted devices we can do this for non-Rooted devices:

Code:
pm hide com.amazon.kso.blackbird
Code:
pm unhide com.amazon.kso.blackbird
Will test it shortly...

UPDATE: The HIDE command did not work. It did not hide the ad before or after restarting the device. Maybe it's missing something. Not sure. Luckily I a am rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest

Someone who does should attempt that instead. I have root, but I already did the uninstall command.

EDIT: I had a FireTV that I hadn't upgraded to the latest rbox firmware. I upgraded it and ran "pm disable com.amazon.kso.blackbird" as root and rebooted. The ads are gone.

Thanks for the confirmation. Will test this Method 1 Update Blocking for Rooted devices too in a minute.

All my testing will be on one the same rooted device but with different ADB Shell $ & # options. $ for non-Rooted & # for Rooted.
13th August 2017, 12:40 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y314K

Cool. Should be great for my friends on non-Rooted FTVS1-2.

Guessing it should also work on Rooted devices with TWRP. We can just do a Factory Reset in TWRP to get back to normal if needed. Or maybe backup the APK & reinstall it. Maybe you can look at the code needed to reinstall it with the right rights. The APK reinstall could be an option for those on non-Rooted devices that don't which to Factory Reset.

Since Rooted devices have the option to disable & enable then they don't need that option.

I wonder if like with the Method 2 Update Blocking for Non-Rooted devices we can do this for non-Rooted devices:

Code:
pm hide com.amazon.kso.blackbird
Code:
pm unhide com.amazon.kso.blackbird
Will test it shortly...

UPDATE: The HIDE command did not work. It did not hide the add before or after restarting the device. Maybe it's missing something. Not sure. Luckily I a am rooted.

Thanks for the confirmation. Will test this Method 1 Update Blocking for Rooted devices too in a minute.

All my testing will be on one the same rooted device but with different ADB Shell $ & # options. $ for non-Rooted & # for Rooted.

On the kindle fire, we found no way to return it without a factory reset. i have used this to remove com.amazon.device.software.ota com.amazon.device.software.ota.override, it wont allow me to check if there is a system update any longer. not sure of long term function. Amazon disabled hide at some point on its devices so it wont work on an unrooted device. This has led me to wonder what com.amazon.videoads is and whats its effect if its removed/uninstalled.
13th August 2017, 01:30 AM |#11  
Y314K's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 460
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmit0

On the kindle fire, we found no way to return it without a factory reset. i have used this to remove com.amazon.device.software.ota com.amazon.device.software.ota.override, it wont allow me to check if there is a system update any longer. not sure of long term function. Amazon disabled hide at some point on its devices so it wont work on an unrooted device. This has led me to wonder what com.amazon.videoads is and whats its effect if its removed/uninstalled.

Yeah, went to backup some system Apps & did find two of them kind of interesting. I am wondering what they would do if disabled.

com.amazon.videoads.app (Could be ads when playing free vids &/or on Prime , not sure)

Tried the following commands. Could not see any difference in UI layout:

Code:
pm disable com.amazon.videoads.app
Code:
pm enable com.amazon.videoads.app
So left it enabled.

Local Recommendation Service (Not sure if it is related to the recommendations on the big banner below the ad banner we just disabled but it probably has to do with the recommendations from other app like Netflix, etc)

Not sure I want to mess with this one...

Backup a few other System apps in ES File Explorer without any Root privileges. And all also included a .systag file too.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes