FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT] Amazon Fire TV 2 (Updated)

313 posts
Thanks Meter: 214

Post Reply Email Thread
NOTE: This rooting method has been superseded by @rbox with his recovery and pre-rooted images. I will not be updating this method for 5.0.5. Please see the following links to use the safer recovery rooting and updating method:

This is an updated thread for rooting the Amazon Fire TV 2. A simpler preloader rooting procedure was developed and has been tested by a number of users, but the guides were not updated until now. We have decided to publish the guides on the wiki section of the repo website since it allows other primary contributors to edit the guides as well so we can share the work (currently just @ImCoKeMaN). For those interested in jumping straight to it follow the link below:

https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools/wikis/home

I have also uploaded the associated zip files to this thread as sort of a mirror. The above guide provides support for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. As of right now the procedure supports 5.0.3.1 and 5.0.4, but a unique zip file is required for each version. It does check the version when starting the root procedure so you'll have a chance to grab the correct one just in case. The original scripts are all located and will continue to be maintained in the git repo located here:

https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools

This new thread will serve as a place to ask questions and discuss the newer rooting procedure while the old thread will be more historical or for advanced users who are trying some new things using the preloader interface.
Attached Files
File Type: zip root-aftv2-5.0.3.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.56 MB, 8334 views)
File Type: zip root-aftv2-5.0.4.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.55 MB, 9566 views)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to zeroepoch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeroepoch Ad-Free

24th December 2015, 12:39 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
What do you mean by "Power cycle the Fire TV"? Do I simply pull the power and replug it? Thanks.
24th December 2015, 12:43 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaJ

What do you mean by "Power cycle the Fire TV"? Do I simply pull the power and replug it? Thanks.

yes
The Following User Says Thank You to ImCoKeMaN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ImCoKeMaN Ad-Free
24th December 2015, 02:41 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Where can I check to find out which mediatek vcom driver I should get? You say based on your model. Where do i check that?

I see my model but where do I cross reference my model to a particular mediatek driver?

NVM: I see that it's one link... my bad. Thought it was multiple links
24th December 2015, 03:59 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Once I've rooted, will the root access persist through subsequent automatic system updates?
24th December 2015, 04:57 AM |#6  

More
I tried the ubuntu way and it is stuck on waiting for preloader... I am using a USB transfer cable, ubuntu 15.10, vmware 12 pro, and I have no luck getting past running the initial python script.
24th December 2015, 05:05 AM |#7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,334

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatza

Once I've rooted, will the root access persist through subsequent automatic system updates?

No. Applying OTAs after rooting is extremely dangerous. I'm working on recovery and prerooted update packages to allow safe updates.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th December 2015, 05:36 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I still can't get past "Waiting for preloader" this seems pretty straight forward, what am i missing? Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Have you found a fix for your issue?

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rester555

I tried the ubuntu way and it is stuck on waiting for preloader... I am using a USB transfer cable, ubuntu 15.10, vmware 12 pro, and I have no luck getting past running the initial python script.

Have you found a fix for your issue yet?
24th December 2015, 05:41 AM |#9  

More
Worked fine for me using Windows 8.1 64 bit, Fire OS - 5.0.3.1.
Fire TV 2 is now rooted. Thanks Zeroepoch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SupaJ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SupaJ Ad-Free
24th December 2015, 05:47 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKris

I still can't get past "Waiting for preloader" this seems pretty straight forward, what am i missing? Thanks for any help.

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Have you found a fix for your issue?

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Have you found a fix for your issue yet?

It seems for me that the computer is not recognizing the fire TV correctly over the USB cable. I am wondering if USB A to A is different from a USB transfer cable. It sees my device as a combo drive.
24th December 2015, 06:14 AM |#11  

More
OOPS! My Fire TV 2 is rebooting randomly after root. I have had 3 reboots in the space of half-hour. Please, wow do I fix this? Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aftv2, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)