[ROOT] Amazon Fire TV 2 (Updated)

Search This thread

rutinh

Jan 7, 2010
My Fire TV 2 (runs on 5.0.4 FW) keeps stuck on Addr: 0x1d54a600, I do not know how to do next. Would some one help me out?

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
I extracted the folder and did but still same error..
Do you see version.txt in that folder you extracted? What os? Permissions ok? Running the script from that folder?

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

My Fire TV 2 (runs on 5.0.4 FW) keeps stuck on Addr: 0x1d54a600, I do not know how to do next. Would some one help me out?
Restart the process and see if it works on second try it has resume built in to the process.

go2xraj

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah version. Txt was there in the folder.
I tried in Windows Linux and Mac
All says the same error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalBobby

Dec 24, 2015
That's very unusual since the new method is mainly merging all scripts into one. The build.prop check stores the file in memory vs disk but that's it. It uses the same function for the read of the mmc. You are seeing it finish quickly because lastaddr.txt is present and at the end. Looks like it might be a good idea to remove it in the script if it gets to the end without an error.

ROOT success on 5.0.4 firmware after removing lastaddr.txt and using the first method to gain root, OTA also disabled

Patching patch_4b4e5400.img...
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1024 bytes (1.0 kB) copied, 0.0208536 s, 49.1 kB/s
Addr: 0x50dc5400
Addr: 0x50dc5600

Conclusion:
I was only able to root using the first method, by removing the lastaddr.txt script and using the 5.0.4 system.root.img, 5.04 system.diff.img and running the ./patch_mmc.sh 0x00000000058e0000 system.root.img system.diff # process took about 2 hours.

I was not able to root using the second(newest) method, after running numerous times the sudo ./root_aftv2.py , i keep getting error: serial protocol mismatch

THANKS again @zeroepoch

ultimate_spy_binns

Nov 15, 2015
Birmingham
Thanks worked great for me.

Here is a mini tutorial of the commands i used, bearing in mind I was pre-rooted on the older firmware 5.0.3.1
so I first had to return my box to stock and enable updates again.

wget http://download.zeroepoch.com/aftv2/5.0.3.1/system.orig.img.gz
gunzip system.orig.img.gz
adb push system.orig.img /data/local/tmp
adb shell
su
pm enable com.amazon.device.software.ota
dd if=/data/local/tmp/system.orig.img of=/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system bs=1m
sync
reboot

After you have entered the following commands your box will reboot, next you will need to do a factory reset of your box, and then click on settings/system/about/and then click on "check for system updates"this will update your firmware to 5.0.4 the latest one.

Now I used this in a virtual machine in linux.

Code:
http://download.zeroepoch.com/aftv2/5.0.4/root-aftv2-5.0.4.zip
Execute sudo ./root_aftv2.py

This successfully worked for me

sidlas

Oct 26, 2010
not working on dell laptop always stop at different addresses with no messages or with writing time out error.
connected to desktop running with out problems.

shimonm

Oct 5, 2013
thank you

NOTE: This procedure is only for stock devices. The safest way to upgrade rooted devices is still being worked out.

This is an updated thread for rooting the Amazon Fire TV 2. A newer and simpler rooting procedure has been developed and tested by a number of users, but the guides were not updated until now. We have decided to publish the guides on the wiki section of the repo website since it allows other primary contributors to edit the guides as well so we can share the work (currently just @ImCoKeMaN). For those interested in jumping straight to it follow the link below:

https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools/wikis/home

I have also uploaded the associated zip files to this thread as sort of a mirror. The above guide provides support for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. As of right now the procedure supports 5.0.3.1 and 5.0.4, but a unique zip file is required for each version. It does check the version when starting the root procedure so you'll have a chance to grab the correct one just in case. The original scripts are all located and will continue to be maintained in the git repo located here:

https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools

This new thread will serve as a place to ask questions and discuss the newer rooting procedure while the old thread will be more historical or for advanced users who are trying some new things using the preloader interface.
work grain with mac

Reactions: zeroepoch

zeroepoch

not working on dell laptop always stop at different addresses with no messages or with writing time out error.
connected to desktop running with out problems.

We've had a number of reports from people using laptops (especially Windows) where it will hang and you have to run it a few times, but desktops seem to mostly work. Thanks for the report it adds a bit more evidence to that claim.

efaden

Dec 24, 2010
Are there instructions for returning to stock on 5.0.4?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sidlas

Oct 26, 2010
not a few times good thing its have resume,and not briking... you need restart bat file and power off on unit,i did that 20 times,after moved to desktop,it stoped 1 more time anyway but just once. now everything ok,watching movies on kodi . :) don't use laptops! thanks zeroepoch.

We've had a number of reports from people using laptops (especially Windows) where it will hang and you have to run it a few times, but desktops seem to mostly work. Thanks for the report it adds a bit more evidence to that claim.

luv2rip

Nov 6, 2010
Hi Guys,

Need some help.

I got a brand new Fire TV 2. Got it updated to 5.0.4 and followed instructions from, https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools/wikis/macosx on my MacOSX with El Capitan.

No progress from "Waiting for preloader..."

Installed the Python, pyserial, disabled csrutil (SIP) ..

I also tried same on Mint Linux/Ubuntu (vm / no VM) with appropriate instructions for the 5.0.4, nothing

Can see the Fire TV connected via USB (adb devices shows the fire tv)

zeroepoch

Hi Guys,

Need some help.

I got a brand new Fire TV 2. Got it updated to 5.0.4 and followed instructions from, https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools/wikis/macosx on my MacOSX with El Capitan.

No progress from "Waiting for preloader..."

Installed the Python, pyserial, disabled csrutil (SIP) ..

I also tried same on Mint Linux/Ubuntu (vm / no VM) with appropriate instructions for the 5.0.4, nothing

Can see the Fire TV connected via USB (adb devices shows the fire tv)

Make sure you don't have a data transfer cable with circuitry in the middle. It should be straight wires. That's the most common problem when it won't handshake.

luv2rip

Nov 6, 2010
Make sure you don't have a data transfer cable with circuitry in the middle. It should be straight wires. That's the most common problem when it won't handshake.

Hi Zeroepoch,

This is the cable I picked up from Fry's last evening.
http://www.frys.com/product/8070764

I was just excited to receive my new AFTV2 , that I might have not been careful. I will check posts to see if I miss something.

If u happen to have any links to the right cable , Amazon, BesBuy (sucks !!), Fry's , Walmart I would appreciate it.

Thanks
l2r

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: This rooting method has been superseded by @rbox with his recovery and pre-rooted images. I will not be updating this method for 5.0.5. Please see the following links to use the safer recovery rooting and updating method:

This is an updated thread for rooting the Amazon Fire TV 2. A simpler preloader rooting procedure was developed and has been tested by a number of users, but the guides were not updated until now. We have decided to publish the guides on the wiki section of the repo website since it allows other primary contributors to edit the guides as well so we can share the work (currently just @ImCoKeMaN). For those interested in jumping straight to it follow the link below:

https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools/wikis/home

I have also uploaded the associated zip files to this thread as sort of a mirror. The above guide provides support for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. As of right now the procedure supports 5.0.3.1 and 5.0.4, but a unique zip file is required for each version. It does check the version when starting the root procedure so you'll have a chance to grab the correct one just in case. The original scripts are all located and will continue to be maintained in the git repo located here:

https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools

This new thread will serve as a place to ask questions and discuss the newer rooting procedure while the old thread will be more historical or for advanced users who are trying some new things using the preloader interface.
    To clarify what @zeroepoch is saying you have to "cd root-aftv2-5.0.4" to enter the folder and execute ./root_aftv2.py (to run from current directory)
    If you are in a different working folder the version.txt file will not be in the same path
    Once I've rooted, will the root access persist through subsequent automatic system updates?

No. Applying OTAs after rooting is extremely dangerous. I'm working on recovery and prerooted update packages to allow safe updates.
    Worked fine for me using Windows 8.1 64 bit, Fire OS - 5.0.3.1.
    Fire TV 2 is now rooted. Thanks Zeroepoch
    This is what I did to build ADB on the Pi 2 which someone might find useful if they are carrying out the root procedure on one, please feel free to add it to the Wiki if you think it's relevant.

Makefile:
    Code:
    SRCS+= adb.c
    SRCS+= adb_client.c
    SRCS+= commandline.c
    SRCS+= console.c
    SRCS+= file_sync_client.c
    SRCS+= fdevent.c
    SRCS+= get_my_path_linux.c
    SRCS+= services.c
    SRCS+= sockets.c
    SRCS+= transport.c
    SRCS+= transport_local.c
    SRCS+= transport_usb.c
    SRCS+= usb_linux.c
    SRCS+= usb_vendors.c
    SRCS+= adb_auth_host.c

VPATH+= ../libcutils
    SRCS+= socket_inaddr_any_server.c
    SRCS+= socket_local_client.c
    SRCS+= socket_local_server.c
    SRCS+= socket_loopback_client.c
    SRCS+= socket_loopback_server.c
    SRCS+= socket_network_client.c
    SRCS+= load_file.c

VPATH+= ../libzipfile
    SRCS+= centraldir.c
    SRCS+= zipfile.c

VPATH+= ../../../external/zlib/src
    SRCS+= adler32.c
    SRCS+= compress.c
    SRCS+= crc32.c
    SRCS+= deflate.c
    SRCS+= infback.c
    SRCS+= inffast.c
    SRCS+= inflate.c
    SRCS+= inftrees.c
    SRCS+= trees.c
    SRCS+= uncompr.c
    SRCS+= zutil.c

CPPFLAGS+= -DADB_HOST=1
    CPPFLAGS+= -DHAVE_FORKEXEC=1
    CPPFLAGS+= -DHAVE_SYMLINKS
    CPPFLAGS+= -DHAVE_TERMIO_H
    CPPFLAGS+= -DHAVE_OFF64_T
    CPPFLAGS+= -D_GNU_SOURCE
    CPPFLAGS+= -D_XOPEN_SOURCE
    CPPFLAGS+= -DWORKAROUND_BUG6558362
    CPPFLAGS+= -I.
    CPPFLAGS+= -I../include
    CPPFLAGS+= -I../../../external/zlib

CFLAGS+= -O2 -g -Wall -Wno-unused-parameter
    #LDFLAGS= -static
    LIBS= -lrt -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl

TOOLCHAIN=
    CC= $(TOOLCHAIN)gcc
    LD= $(TOOLCHAIN)gcc

OBJS= $(SRCS:.c=.o)

all: adb

adb: $(OBJS)
    	$(LD) -o $@ $(LDFLAGS) $(OBJS) $(LIBS)

clean:
    	rm -rf $(OBJS)

Got the info from the two links below and tweaked it a little...
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55619695&postcount=70
    http://torifuku.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/raspberry-piandroidadbandroid-debug.html

I put the guide up on the wiki here, https://gitlab.com/zeroepoch/aftv2-tools/wikis/adbrpi2. Also linked from the home page.